PDA

View Full Version : Children of the New World: Chapter One

WarBrute
2010-07-19, 03:13 PM
Children of the New World: Chapter One

Darioak. A new world to many and an ancient one to others. It is a land of hope and new beginnings, but also a land of mystery and danger. It has been thirty years since the new comers landed on its rocky shores and since then they have spread across the east coast. Now the first generation born on its lands has matured. Darioak is their home and its history is theirs to make. Their time is here.

It is the last day of summer and fall and winter will soon be upon the people of Darioak. Nestled in a picturesque meadow it's a typically warm morning in the city of Farglynn. The days activities are moving at full force and the market district is bustling with shop owners and customers. Children, done with their morning chores, play in the streets. Caravans are being packed and readied for journeys to Groundbreak, Lastchance, Newport and the many small farming villages which are scattered through out the foothills of the mighty Bonebreaker Mountains.

Jonathan Turven

Within the Tarnished Scale Tavern the last note of a song plucked on a mandolin played by a young human sounds. The half of the tavern that was listening applauds. A rust colored Drangonborn standing behind the bar laughs and says to his patrons, "What do you say? Free breakfast for our musical friend?" Several dragonborns and halflings raise their mugs as an answer before going back to their meal. Maran turns to the Human "Ha Ha! Okay, what will it be then?"

Annustel

*CLANG*
"Adventures, huh! The old dwarf blacksmith covered in soot looks up from his work at the questioning elf. "Hmmppf, I bet you wouldn't even know an adventure if you were on one. Back in Hendigar we had real adventures! Real struggle of life and death, good against evil!"
*CLANG*
He hits his hammer against the spear head he is working on. "Well then what kind of adventure are ye on? For it to be an adventure it has to have purpose and reason!"

Drift

A lone shifter stands in the River District looking out at the Fairwater River. Rafts from Groundbreak have been arriving all morning. Groups of dwarfs and humans work at unloading and moving crates from the rafts into the many large buildings at the edge of the river. The shifter suddenly sees some commotion down at the river's edge. It looks as though some one on a raft has been injured.

Galtor

A dwarf steps out of the Druken Fish Inn on to the streets of the River district. The roads are lined with fish shops, apothecaries and small dingy bars. Four aging dwarfs sit around a rickety table and play stones, a game played by the goliaths in the Bonebreaker mountains. One of them just finished telling a joke in mountain speak and the rest are laughing heartily.

HeroComplex
2010-07-19, 04:01 PM
Galtor

Let's see. I'll need to find some supplies. Pick up that parcel from the ... Galtor's train of thought derails slightly as he hears the raucous laughter coming from four dwarves sitting about a table on the side of the road.

Ah! Yes, that's right. There should be a shipment in today. And I'm in luck, four of my bretheren I've not had the chance to quiz yet!

His errands forgotten, Glator excitedly makes a bee-line for the table. "Good morning, Brothers! My name is Galtor, and I fancy myself a bit of a stones player. Might I join you in a game?"

Diplomacy:[roll0] - To join the game and strike up a conversation.

I'm not sure if I'm going to take a penalty or not for speaking differently. Galtor has been around the human lands so long he doesn't have the "traditional" dwarven accent to his speech.

buirechain
2010-07-19, 05:16 PM
Annustel

Annustel smiles at the Dwarven blacksmith, even as the Dwarf tries to get a rise out of him.

I'm sure you had plenty of good adventures back in Hendigar. I've heard many tales of adventuring Elves, and I wouldn't mind hearing one of your tales, if you have a little time.

However, you asked about my adventure. My eyes are drawn straight to the Blackwoods. The elder Elves think that there's something wrong with it, that we should avoid it. But I think it can be tamed by the right group, so that it can be properly explored and settled. He doesn't mention that it will be the Elves doing the settling. And of course the Dwarves would have better access to the Bonebreaker Mountains and the treasures that must lie underneath.

That's the Adventure I seek, Annustel says with a smile. Well, first I need to take care of a raiding band of Lizardfolk that are troubling the Elves. But then the Blackwoods. So what do you say, is there anyone you can point me to? Any advice to offer?

Diplomacy[roll0]

WarBrute
2010-07-19, 08:28 PM
Galtor

The joker teller look ups up at Galtor and smiles. "Sure, lad. You can use my spare set if you'd like." One of the other Dwarfs pulls up a empty chair while the joke teller empties a dozen red gem stones along with a single die carved out of bone from a velvet bag. "I'm Gilkar, there's Tharen, Marik, an' he's Argen." He says pointing to each dwarf respectfully. The dwarfs nod at you in turn as they begin to line up their stones on the playing board.

Annustel

"Hmmm, Blackwoods you say?" The dwarf says putting down his hammer and tongs. "Now there's a place that might have some danger and mystery. Ya hear bad rumors from the goliaths 'bout the Blackwoods." He nods seriously.

"Well, there is a couple places you might want to look for help. You can check the Deadhorse and the Tarnishedscale for folk looking for adventures, though your more likely to run into merchants. The library by the Resident's block should have some information on the Blackwoods so you might want to check it out if you have time. You also could go the the River district, Caravans going up to Riverwash and Groundbreak leave every couple of hours. You might meet some folk out there too."

Guancyto
2010-07-19, 08:35 PM
Drift

Crate ten, clothing. Crate eleven, clothing. Crate twelve, clothing...

Drift's face twists into a frown as the disturbance snaps him out of his reverie of meticulously tracking the latest shipments. His heavy frame sets into motion down to the riverside, pushing past anyone who might try to get in his way.

"What's going on here?" he asks of the people around him.

buirechain
2010-07-19, 10:40 PM
Annustel

Annustel nods and smiles, listening to the Dwarf. Thanks, I'll make sure to check that out. It sounds interesting. And maybe I'll come back some time for that story, he said, before heading out of the blacksmiths.

Those were a few good suggestions, though the Dead Horse hadn't had any likely adventurers when Annustel had had his breakfast. Maybe he'd check out the Tarnished Scale at lunch time, but there were still a few hours between now and then.

He wasn't entirely sure what he'd be able to read in books about the Blackwoods, though the library probably had more on that forest than the Elven elders were willing to talk about. Still, Annustel wasn't up for reading, just yet. Maybe later in the day, maybe tomorrow, but not now.

That left the River district, so Annustel headed for that part of town, where he would keep his eye out for adventurers while strolling through the streets.

HeroComplex
2010-07-20, 11:29 AM
Galtor

Smiling broadly, Galtor takes a seat at the table, his errands completely forgotten.

As play progresses, he tries to gather some information from the elder dwarves, eager to hear of their experiences.

Some of the questions he asks during their conversation are, "So, what brings you gentle-dwarves to Farglynn this time of year? It certainly can't be for the ale. How was your journey? Did you pass near the Black Woods? What have you heard of them?"

As their game continues, Galtor is not faring well, as he's more distracted by the conversation than he is focusing on the game. "What can you tell me of your lives in Hendigar? Of the dwarves there? Of those who stayed or were left behind?"

He is so enthralled in conversation by the end that he's completely forgotten about the game.

WarBrute
2010-07-20, 01:38 PM
Drift

Drift manages to push his way to the front of the small crowd and is met by the scene of three dwarfs lifting a fourth off the raft. All of them seem to have sustained injuries in a fight, but the fourth is by far the worse. A large gash runs down the front of his shirt and he is missing several fingers. His eyes are wide and stare blankly up the sky and a bit of foam is building up at the corner of his mouth. The dwarfs get the injured dwarf off the raft and lay him down on the road.
"What y'all idiots waiting for?! Someone get a blasted healer! One of the dwarfs from the raft yells. A human and a dwarf scamper off in the direction of the Drunken Fish The remaining dwarfs kneel down by their friend. "The bandits must used poison or somthing, the bastards..."

Galtor

The dwarfs seem to enjoy the company of Galtor and several rounds of Stones are played. The dwarf Gilkar answers most of his questions as they come.
"Well, I live down here in Farglynn, same with Marik. We're gettin bit too old for work, but not old 'nough to drink!" The dwarfs laugh, "An' old Argen and Thranen are from Groundbreak. They still got some life in 'im so they be spreading the old word of Moradin. Where y'all going next? Haven right?" They both nod and smile.
Tharen answers the questions about the Blackwoods, "Aye, you go right by them when you leave Groundbreak. Dark place it is. The Goliaths sure don't like, but ya can't always trust what they say, you know they're very superstitious and all. Though the elves seem to agree so... You wouldn't catch me going in, all I'm saying
When Glator brings up Hendigar the expressions on the dwarfs' faces darken. "I know ya young lads be curious bout the old world, and ya can say I hang around the goilaths too much, bu talking 'bout it is bad luck you know. It used to be such a beautiful land. But when the darkness came up from the ground and all those fiends" He shakes his head. "It's all gone now boy. I bet the whole land along with everyone left behind just got swallowed up into the ocean. But no one really knows."

Annustel

Annustel makes his way across the Market District and into the River District. He passes by humans, dwarfs and the occasional halfing walking the streets some carrying crates or fish. None of them look too adventurer like. Annustel soon comes to the Northside of the River District near the exit of the town where several groups of people are working packing and unpacking carriages and carts, cleaning and feeding horses or just standing around talking. There seems to be four distinct groups here at the moment. The first is a group of three halforcs and two humans, second is a group of six gnomes, third is a group of four dwarfs and humans and last is a group of three dragonborn and three halflings.

Guancyto
2010-07-20, 02:52 PM
Drift

"Poison?" Drift looks down at the injured dwarf, alarmed. "Keep him still. I can keep him stable until a real healer arrives." Rolling up his sleeves, he crouches down to examine him.

He's probably supposed to be undercover, he thinks, but letting the man die just for that would be terrible and he isn't confident that he can analyze the poison and treat it with just what he has in his bags. At least, not quickly enough to save his patient.

"Change for the better, fit for the road," he murmurs, laying a hand on the poisoned dwarf's forehead and calling upon the divine power of his god to grant him at least a little more time to work.

(Lay on Hands, wheeee. Also a heal check to figure out what the poison is. [roll0])

HeroComplex
2010-07-20, 05:48 PM
Galtor

How disappointing... more of the same. And here I was hoping to have learned something new.

"I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with you. There must be some way we can find out what happened. What of your family? Your life before? Don't you miss it? What if there were survivors? Someone must find out what has happened! I mean to be the one to do it," Galtor says, rising from the table. "Thank you for the game and for the conversation. I wish you well." And with that, Galtor stamps off.

Another waste of time. These dwarves, and most of the elders for that matter, they have no vision, no fight left. There must be someone who isn't so afraid of their own shadow that they're willing to seek the truth. Whether that's in the Black Woods or Hendigar. Galtor continues to mumble to himself, lost in his thoughts as he makes his way through the river district toward the markets.

buirechain
2010-07-20, 07:46 PM
Annustel

Annustel shakes his head, in part at the difficulty he's having finding suitable companions, and in part at the general lack of Elves. He feels a bit out of place, even if the denizens of Farglynn don't act like he's abnormal. Annustel just has never before been surrounding by so many people and almost none of them Elves.

Well Annustel tells himself It's time to pick somebody and start asking questions. But who? Annustel notices four groups that might be helpful, maybe. He's not convinced by sight that any would be more--or less--helpful than the others, so he pulls out a coin and flips it a few times.

[roll0]

If it's a one, the coin tells him to ask the Half-Orcs and Humans
If two, he asks the Gnomes
If three, he asks the Dwarves and Humans
If four, he asks the Dragonborn and Halflings

Yeah, I could have done this with two d2 rolls, but that would have been more confusing.

Annustel approaches the group. Hello, the name's Annustel, and I'm looking for some people who'd like to join me in exploring the Blackwoods. Do any of you know anyone, or perhaps know where I might find someone who might be interested in joining me?

Diplomacy [roll1]

WarBrute
2010-07-21, 12:38 AM
Drift

The dwarf's wounds began to stitch immediately as divine power runs from Drift's hand, however several remain open. The blank gaze fades from his face and he seems to come to. He mumbles something about awful nightmares before rolling over and throwing up. While looking over the dwarf's wounds Drift notices the wounds give off a faint green glow. If it was a poison than it was one he never heard of.

The dwarf and human return quickly with two dwarf holy man. One kneels down next to Drift. "Thank ya for the help shifter. I think I can handle this from here." He pauses looking over the wounds. "I...I.. I don't think I've ever seen this before.. Argen?" He looks to the other holy man, but he only frowns and shakes his head.

Galtor

Just as Galtor stands to storm off, a dwarf and human come running up to the table. "Oh Tharen, thanks the gods you're still here," gasps the human, "There's trouble at the river. One of the raft workers been hurt... bad" The dwarfs stand up immediately "Lead the way." And they hurry off towards the river forgetting Galtor accusatory questions.

Annustel

The first gnome looks up at Annustel and says, "Did you say Blackwoods. Boy you must have some courage." Giggling erupts from atop the carriage and a female gnome sticks her head over the edge.

Laughing she says, "Or he's just stupid, yeah?" She hops down.
"Well, that could be too. But you were just saying we needed a Bodyguard for our trip up to Riverwash with all the reports of bandits and lizardfolk. I think this boy looks tough and he's heading our way."
"Yeah, I think he might do. What ya say? You want to go with us up to Riverwash? You might be able to find some people up there stupid enough to run into the Blackwoods with you."

HeroComplex
2010-07-21, 09:00 AM
Galtor

An injury... on the river? ... THE BLACK WOODS!

Hearing the dwarf's desperate plea, Galtor's rant is lost in a moment. He turns on his heel and follows the dwarves to the raft, hoping to lend aid or to hear a morsel of what transpired.

When he arrives at the river, he jostles himself to the front of the crowd to watch what's going on, using his staff to make a path for himself. Peering down at the injured dwarf, he sees a vaguely familiar figure also ministering to the patient.

Perception:[roll0] - To see/overhear what's going on
Heal:[roll1] - To see if he can help
Arcana:[roll2] - To see if anything magical is afoot

buirechain
2010-07-21, 09:42 AM
Annustel

Annustel controls his face, he doesn't let it go read. He is offended though, their words much stronger than the Dwarf's this morning. That just gives him extra reason to say no. He doesn't want to join a caravan duty first, and besides, he does have that business with other Lizardfolk to take care of.

Thank you, but I think I'll pass, for now. I think I'm better off looking adventurers here. In Farglynn, he says, and beats a hasty retreat.

Annustel briefly looks around at the other three groups, but decides against asking them. There is nothing obvious that suggest they wouldn't just try to hire him as well. Instead he decides to head over to the river, and take a walk along it. If he notices any likely adventurers, the better for it. But if he doesn't, at least he'd clear his head. Since Annustel had lived along the Aliar river for so long, it should have a soothing effect on his mind. Annustel was beginning to feel like he was going about this wrong, though he wasn't sure what else to do.

Guancyto
2010-07-21, 07:07 PM
Drift

Drift gives little more than a nod to the dwarven holy men and steps back to let the professionals handle the injured. He paces, troubled by this turn of events. His colleague had implied the trouble in the area was fairly low-key and subtle. If the bandits were attacking people along the waterways, either the threat had been underestimated...

...or this is something new, he concludes. "What happened?" he asks of the other dwarves, "who did this?"

WarBrute
2010-07-21, 10:08 PM
Galtor, Annustel, Drift

The gnomes give Annestel an odd look as he walks of. Walking down the river the elf sees more of the same, humans and dwarfs going about their daily business. After about ten minutes of walking along the clear waters of the Fairwater River, he comes upon a small crowd of dwarfs, humans, and a single shifter standing at the river's edge.

The newly arriving dwarf, Galtor, kneels down and looks over the wounds on the dwarf. He is unable to discern the effect causing the injured, but he recognizes it as arcane in nature. Tharen looks over at him and says, "What about you lad? You know what's wrong with him?"

The dwarf looks over at Drift and answers his question while working an arrow out of his leather armor. "Well, it had been 'bout an hour after we had left the checkpoint at Riverwash. And we were passing a thicket of trees, when we suddenly took arrow fire. A group of humans and half-eves pursued us down the river. One of them got aboard and hit old Darrak down there pretty bad before we pushed him off. They stopped following after that." He finally manages digs the arrow head out of the armor. "They must have been after our cargo..."

buirechain
2010-07-21, 11:27 PM
Annustel

The waters of the river are slowly soothing Annustel's mind, though he is still periodically shaking his head and asking himself why he let his lucky coin lead him to the gnomes. They acted as if he was the strange one, not them and their insults--even if they didn't mean much by it.

Though he was thinking about that, he wasn't about to miss the commotion. The dwarves and the strange looking man seemed to the scene under control, for the moment. Annustel had a limited training in the healing arts, though he didn't have the sort of magical healing abilities some had.

Still, he kept himself as close as he could to the conversation, listening in to the description of what had happened. One of the Dwarves and the strange looking man seemed like likely adventurers, and Annustel had enough of a belief in fate to think that anything that brought three adventurers together must be followed up.

The mention of the half elves also concerned Annustel. Few enough of Annustel's half blooded cousins had made the trip to Darioak. Of course new ones where always being made. It was always sad to learn of anyone turning to brigandry, but all the more so for people of Elvish blood, people who Annustel would likely one day need to concern himself with, as a future leader of the Elves.

Excuse me, Annustel said, stepping forward. Can you tell me more about these Half-Elves? I might be able to tell where they come from by a good description, or at least I could ask the Elder Elves of Fairwater Forest. And were they new worlders, or born in the old? Were you yet into the Fairwater Forest when they attacked? Did they follow you into the Forest? Fairwater Forest seemed like a good, if non Elvish name, for the forest in between Riverwash and Farglynn.
Annustel smiled at the Dwarf and the strange man--could that really be a shifter? Annustel had never seen one, but he'd have to determine that later. That would be most helpful if we might be able to track these bandits down.
Would it be a history check to see if I recognize anything about the half-elves from the description and from the location and from the arrow? I feel like I would have at least a limited specialized knowledge about group of half-elves, though less than I'd know about full Elves. All assuming, of course that there's any usable information in their response.

[roll0] I have a +1 to history, or you can choose whatever else you want.

HeroComplex
2010-07-22, 08:35 AM
Galtor

After inspecting the injured dwarf, Galtor comes to a realization. "What is afflicting him is of a magical nature, not a natural one. Unfortunately, it seems to be beyond my abilities to ascertain precisely what has affected him or how."

Seeing the dwarf extract the arrowhead from the armor, Galtor puts out his hand and says, "Let me see that."

Assuming he gets the arrowhead: Perception:[roll0] - to inspect the arrowhead.
Arcana:[roll1] - to detect any magic that may have been applied to the arrow.

A'den
2010-07-25, 12:34 PM
"Why eggs & bacon would surely warm my heart prepared by such beautiful Dragonborn, seeing you I get to see the sun rise twice a day." Jonathan speaks with a powerful voice full of liveliness and gusto. The bard added a smile on top of that.

"Perhaps there's a frosty glass of ale and a thick slice of that honey loaf in that kitchen too"

In a softer tone he continues, "And perhaps some rumors of work for a man looking for quick passage out of the city."

Diplomacy Check + Words of Friendship: [roll0]

Guancyto
2010-07-26, 12:16 PM
Drift

The shifter steps back as more people arrive. It seems as he suspected; this event doesn't seem to be everyday occurrence in Farglynn. Magical poison, hm? Where would a group of bandits get that?

The elven newcomer has already unleashed a barrage of questions thick enough that the dwarf will have his hands full answering them, so he looks over at the raft.

"After our cargo" was an unusual thing to say. He wonders what the dwarves were transporting...

(Perception, in case it's obvious! [roll0])

WarBrute
2010-07-27, 12:56 PM
Drift, Galtor, Annustel

The dwarf with the leather armor glances over at the new comer elf and answers his questions best he can. "We were still a bit ways from the Fairwater Forest, when they attacked us and they were gone before we reached it. Like I said they stopped after we pushed one of the halfelves in the water. I'm sure the humans in the bunch were born here. The halfelves... well it's always a bit difficult to guess an age on them, but I would say they were Children of Darioak as well." He shrugs and holds out the arrowhead and shaft he liberated from his armor. "Anything to help."

Annustel notes the fletching is made of strange dark green, blood red and black feathers which he has never seen elves use before. Snatching it up Glator notes the head carries the same arcane signature as the wounds on the dwarf named Darrak although they are weaker in nature. The arrow head seems to be of simple black obsidian.

As Drift steps back to observe the incident at large he notices the crates that have now been lifted off the raft. They look like typical crates from Groundbreak carrying ore, as indicated by the image of a pick imprinted on their sides. They however carry an usually heavy lock and seem to be reinforced with heavy iron bands.

Jonathan

The Dragonborn laughs and yells Jonathan's order to the kitchen behind him. He puts his elbows on the bar and listens to the bard's question. He nods and says seriously, "I understand lad, lots of my customers aim to by pass the law for one reason or another." A large plate of hot food and a mug of dark ale is placed between them by a young halfling girl. The dragonborn continues, "If you want to get out and earn some coin at the same time I'd head to the north gate in the River District. There's caravans leaving for Groundbreak, Vanthar and Last Chance everyday there and I'm sure a fine musician like yourself could get a free ride or even get payed for entertainment."

buirechain
2010-07-27, 09:24 PM
Annustel

Annustel shakes his head briefly. He'd hoped to hear something that identified the half-elves, or see something, but not such luck. The elders of Fairwater Forest might know something, so he'd have to make sure that they keep the arrow.

Suddenly it occurs odd to Annustel that they came so far down the river, well over half the distance between Riverwash and Farglynn. Looking around he notices that the Dwarf is still nearby, looking at the arrow, but the Shifter seems to have noticed something. He discretely walks overs, and follows the Shifter's gaze to the crates.

Annustel whispers as best he can, Are you noticing something odd there? Something that might have led these men to hurry past my elven kin with an injured man aboard?

HeroComplex
2010-07-28, 08:43 AM
Galtor

Inspecting the arrowhead, Galtor comments, "This is the way the poison was delivered. See these runes here..." he looks up to show the markings to the shifter, but he's wandered off. Looking around, Galtor sees the elf and the shifter inspecting the cargo, and something seems... wrong... about the scene. He pockets the arcanely etched arrow and turns to the dwarf who seems to be leading the river party. Galtor moves in closer to hold a more private conversation.

"What was so valuable that you'd attract the attention of bandits? I've a hard time believing that they were after iron ore. And these crates, they're fortified much more strongly than a usual cargo shipment would be. If you tell me why this may have happened, I may be able to help.

Diplomacy:[roll0]
Insight:[roll1]

WarBrute
2010-07-29, 07:28 PM
Drift, Galtor, Annustel
The dwarf turns to Galtor and shrugs. "It's not too much of a secret, lad. A couple of miners unearthed a crystal cavern at Groundbreak, 'bout a week ago. Someone here heard the news and made a big order. Guess the bandits got wind of the shipment."

HeroComplex
2010-07-30, 09:36 AM
Galtor

Galtor frowns as he considers the cargo they brought down the river. "Do bandits attack often? Will you be making a return trip soon?"

WarBrute
2010-07-30, 09:56 PM
Drift, Galtor, Annustel

"Bandits aren't too common of a sight on the river. Just a few a month, really. We stay armed enough to deter any of 'em." As he speaks Tharen helps Darrak stand with the help of a human.
"We're goin' take 'im down to tha church of Moradin" Tharen says grimacing a little as Darrak sways. They begin heading south.
"Okay, good." The dwarf in the leather armor replies nodding. "Looks like I'm going to be staying in Farglynn as my partner going to be restin' off his sickness here for awhile."

HeroComplex
2010-07-31, 04:50 PM
Galtor

A little dejected, Galtor replies, "That's too bad. I need to secure passage to the Black Woods to continue my research."

buirechain
2010-07-31, 05:22 PM
Annustel

Annustel is still staring at the crates, and pondering the special gems that lay within, when the words Black Woods coming from one of the Dwarves still standing a few feet away. He instantly forgets the cargo and the half-elven bandits, and hurries over to the Dwarf.

By any chance, did I hear you say you were interested in going to the Black Woods? Because I'm planning on exploring their mysteries myself, once I deal with a few more minor matters. Annustel hurriedly says. After a moment he adds, The name's Annustel, by the way.

Guancyto
2010-07-31, 06:07 PM
Drift

There doesn't seem to be too much of note with the raft aside from the crates. It had come a long way, though, hadn't it? Truly, these dwarves have incredible resilience, he muses.

Speaking of which... "I'm sorry, you were trying to tell me something," he approaches Galtor again, "something about the poison?"

HeroComplex
2010-08-02, 11:23 AM
Galtor

Galtor turns to discuss the destination with the elf. "I happen to be planning an excursion to the Black Woods to investigate some of these rumors of a mystical nature in the wood. My research has lead me to believe that there may be a source of some significant arcane power there."

Fishing the arrowhead out of his robes, he shows it to the shifter, "Now see here, these runes? They are for the delivery of an arcane agent meant to debilitate anyone who is shot with it. It's the cause of that other dwarf's illness. Although, I don't know what I could do to cure it. It seems rather obscure for use by bandits. I'd expect a more natural, if not as virulent, poison."

buirechain
2010-08-03, 03:20 PM
Annustel

I'd be happy to journey with you into the Black Woods. I don't have much interest in mining the arcane power there, though it may be very important to find and understand that power so that those woods might one day be populated. Annustel tells Galtor, and then listens to the description of the the arcane poison. I dare say though, if you are interested, and you Annustel nods first to the dwarf and then to the shifter, We should pursue the mystery of these bandits, first.

HeroComplex
2010-08-06, 03:18 PM
Galtor

"It would seem that the bandits may be along the same paths as which we would take to get to the Black Woods. A greater problem is finding someone to guide us there. It is going to be rather dangerous. I can imagine if we had a stout group of adventurers to travel with, it would go more smoothly." Galtor looks to the others, "What do you say, then? Shall we go? I can be ready in four hours' time."

Guancyto
2010-08-06, 04:44 PM
Drift

"Our goals do seem to be linked," the shifter assents, mulling over the idea for a moment, "and truth be known, I wouldn't mind a venture into the Forest either. Annustel, was it? The Drunken Fish Inn isn't far from here; it should do for a meeting point when you're ready to head out."

buirechain
2010-08-06, 07:33 PM
Annustel

The fates have indeed brought us together quickly, Annustel responds. I will collect my last few things from the Inn where I have been staying, and then meet back at the Drunken Fish. From there I am sure we can either find merchant heading up the Fairwater or we could simply walk, since we will want to stop periodically. I at least will want to show that arrow to the Elves of Fairwater Forest, in case they know anything about it.

Annustel returns to the Dead Horse Inn. After retrieving his last few possessions, he makes sure his account is appropriately settled. However, since he paid in advance, there is nothing left to deal with, except to thank the Inn Keeper.

From there, Annustel realizes he still has more than three hours till the rendezvous, and he remembers the Dwarven Blacksmith's advice and heads to the library. Once he arrives he looks for a helpful seeming member of the staff. Excuse me, I was told that there might be information in the library about the Black Woods. I and a few others want to explore them, but it was suggested that I might find some useful information here before beginning our trip. Could you help me find that?

Diplomacy [roll0]

Guancyto
2010-08-07, 11:25 AM
Drift

Drift waves a moment as Annustel leaves. When he's out of earshot, he turns to his companion. "Four hours, master Dwarf? Do you know something about the Black Woods that I don't?" A little smile plays at his lips, nearly hidden by his feral features.

WarBrute
2010-08-08, 12:57 PM
Annustel

The elf wanders away from the river district and across the market district. He sees a few signs pointing east that state Farglynn Archives and Library. After a few minuets of walking he leaves the bustling streets of the markets and finds himself on the quiet streets of the Residents' block. He walks pass several houses ranging from medium to large in size. He quickly comes up to a small limestone structure with the the words Farglynn Archives and Library: "Protecting the knowledge of both worlds" carved above the entrance The trip takes about forty minuets.

He climbs the steps and passes a human guard holding a halberd, who nods politely at him. He walks though the oak doors and enters the dimly lit and cool library. A young half-elf woman sits behind a worn desk wearing a black apron over a simple white blouse. She looks up as Annustel asks his questions.

She smiles and says, "The Black Woods? You must be a courageous group." echoing the gnome's sentiment. "Well, there are a few people like you out there. For one the"Mages Club" is quite interested in that region so we have a small section devoted to it. And since it's rather quiet right now," She waves her hand behind her at the empty room, "I can help you find something useful." She gets up from her seat and leads Annustel passed rows of books and under a sign saying New world.

She stops at one shelf, "The knowledge we have from the Blackwoods is pretty minimal, but I think there some things to help, let's see... We have the travel log of the missing human Jonathan Drop. Some gnomes found and brought to us. Seems his last entries were made near the Blackwoods... And an elven account of flora and fauna in the Blackwood's area, along with the stories of the halfling Harren Quickstep, he claims to have gone into the heart of the Blackwoods and come back out safely, but lots of us claim think it's fiction... Here's a scroll listing Goliath Taboos around the region, though it's written in Mountain Speak... Any of those interest you?" She tucks he brown hair behind her hair and looks up at Annustel.

OOC:

Annustel will have to spend about an hour an each piece of literature to skim through and absorb any useful information.

HeroComplex
2010-08-08, 01:03 PM
Galtor

"It is only that I wish to finish compiling some notes from my research into the Woods into my notebook before we set off. I have just about every scrap of information the library contains on the subject in my room at the Drunken Fish. I must also return the documents to the library before we were off. Now that I think of it," Galtor says, a light coming on in his eyes, "I believe I've seen you there before, yes? Don't you have a room there, as well? Well then you'll be familiar with the place. Allow me to resolve my issues with the information gathering, then I shall meet you at the Inn." He smiles broadly, continuing, "I had been planning to leave in two days time, but this is a most fortunate occasion. I am very glad to have found the two of you."

With this, he sets off toward the inn to get his things together.

I'm good to go after compiling notes and dropping things off at the library. Will we get a DM fast-forward or...?

buirechain
2010-08-09, 02:52 PM
Annustel

Thank you for your help. Let me look at the Elven account first, then the log of Jonathan Drop and if I have time I'll move on to the stories of Harren Quickstep in case there is any truth in them--unfortunately, though, I don't read Mountain Speak. If I can read quickly, those should just take up the rest of the time I have before I must return to my friends.

Guancyto
2010-08-09, 03:44 PM
Drift

Drift stops a moment to consider. Had he met the dwarf before? He had met an awful lot of people in the last few days, probably more than he had ever needed to manage before. Still, he looks familiar...

...and then the light bulb goes off. "That's right! I thought you were really knowledgeable and it was a shame we didn't get to talk very long," he says, shifting to a less formal tone. "You'll have to tell us later about what we're getting into."

He waves as his newfound companion departs, watching the riverside for a few more minutes. Then he leaves to pack his own things. Finally, a proper adventure...

WarBrute
2010-08-12, 11:57 PM
Annustel

The half-elf smiles and puts the three books on a table near by. “My name is Mari by the way. Just call me if you need any more help.” She walks away, back towards the front of the building leaving the elf to his readings.

Annustel begins with the elven log.

Flora and Fauna in the Black Woods region of Darioak,
by Varen and assistants

The elven log is full of the mundane creatures that can be found in many regions of Darioak, including wolves, black and brown bears, birds of prey, and various rodents. However, several entries catch Annustel’s eyes. For one, Varen makes note of a monstrous species of spiders that make their nest amongst piles of rocks There also is an entry about a species of flying insects that are excessively violent and territorial that move in large swarms. Lastly Annustle reads about a strange animate plants that snake their way across the forest floor, hunting rodents and other game.

Varen ends his book with a quick entry summing up his experience as a whole. “The Black Woods is a wonderers, yet deadly place. The animals seem to carry with them some kind of unnatural intelligence and many of my assistants reported seeing them simply fade into mist. The Black Woods has still been deemed as to dangerous to explore and there fore this report has been simply on the flora and fauna at the edge of the forest, which also us to wonder what mysteries lie at its heart.

The Travel Log of Jonathan Drop

The majority of the torn and water damaged journal is devoted to simple notes one would expect to find in the travel log of a traveling merchant. Annustel quickly flips to the last entries
[color=olive]
28th day of Orasik, the 27th year

Just heard down the line that there is a 1,000 gold piece deal happening in Harath in Vanvathar. But I’m stuck here in Groundbreak. I’m going to cut through part of the Black Woods and beat everyone there.

30th day of Orasik, the 27th year

I caught view of Black Woods a couple hours ago. The sun is setting now and while normally I would continue on in the dark with a deal like this at stake, I want to tackle it when the sun is up. It’s forbidding at night, like the maw of a great beast. But really all forests are like that at night.

31st day of Orasik, the 27th year

The Black Woods is a place of beauty. The trees, the flowers, the birds and their songs. Everything is so vivid here and brighter here. I was drawn off course several time just wandering after something beautiful I simply got a glance of. Sun is setting now. I’ll make camp here.

-----------------

I heard something. Whispers. I ’m sure some one is out there. I can’t sleep. Just work on keeping the fire big

32nd day of Orasik, the 27th year

I have to get out after what happened last night. I can’t backtrack. The trail is gone. I swear the sun isn’t even rising in the right direction. And some damn plant tried to eat me! I have to get out. I won’t stop even for night fall.

The entries are no longer dated and his hand writing more frantic.

“I’ve been running all day. Too tired to even walk. I’ll have to stay here again. The tree has eyes I have to hide. There are ruins here, near the river. I’ll hide in them they won’t find me here.”

Several scrawling images a have been made on the pages after this. All letters and words are illegible except for two pages where the words “They’re watching me. Everything has eyes.” is written over and over.

The Tales of Harren Quickstep, the Wonders of the Black Woods

Annustel is running short on time when he get to Harren’s tales, so is only able to skim it. Harren seems to mention all the wonders Jonathan Drop encounter with out the danger. He speaks of hidden riches, strange insects, vivid and delicious fruit. Anustel reads a quick portion about Harren’s discovery of ruins. He claims the jewel lined hallways ways lead to ancient treasures. Too much gold for him to carry back. Harren ends his book simply be stating that the elves must be conspiring to claim the treasures of the Black Woods for themselves by spreading rumors of false dangers.

As Annustel reads Mari reruns bearing a large stack of books. “I should have guessed who your companion was when you said Black Woods. That young dwarf Galtor. He’s been obsessed with that place for as long as I’ve know him. And he has been hoarding half of our books on the place in his room.” She indicates the books she is shelving. “Of all the people to go into the Black Woods with, you’d be safest with him. “

Galtor

The Dwarf quickly get his things in order at the Drunken Fish and heads to the Library with all the books to return. He meets with the friendly half-elf librarian, Mari, and return all his borrowed items to her. She assures him she will let the Mage’s Club know where he has gone and wishes him luck as he leaves.

Drift

As Drift watches the seen on the river begins to return to normal as the crowd disperses. Rafts come in, they’re unloaded and the crates are carried off to near by buildings.

Packing your bags goes smoothly enough.

buirechain
2010-08-13, 06:30 PM
Annustel

Annustel closes the last book, wishing he had a bit more time with it, though he can't be sure whether it offers any real information beyond what he has already read. Still, he has learned some useful information, and apparently Galtor will be able to offer some knowledge from the books as well. However, Annustel has no doubt that he and his companions will, if successful, learn a lot more about the Dark Woods than is available in any these books or the other available in the library.

Thank you Mari, I think the information I've gleaned should be helpful on my journeys. However I'd best be going now, I must reassemble with my companions.

Annustel heads out, looking briefly for Galtor. If the dwarf is still in the library, he accompanies him on his return to the river district, if not he heads to the inn by himself.

WarBrute
2010-08-14, 07:58 PM
11:30 AM- The Drunken Fish, four hours after the incident on the river

Three adventures, a shifter, an elf and a dwarf, agreed to meet here before setting off on their first adventure as a party. With lunch approaching the Riverside tavern is filling up fast with human, dwarven and the occasional gnome and halfling workers. The increasingly cramped quarters of the Drunken Fish is occupied by about seven or eight table all of which were full save one near the stairs, as well as a long bar, and full, bar. The sheer volume of the tavern made it difficult to hear one's private conversations over the loud laughter, rumors and jokes that the patrons were yelling at each other .

Conveniently the three adventures arrived within a few minutes of each other, the dwarf arriving first, followed by the elf a few minuets later, and lastly the shifter who was descending the stairs from his room.

buirechain
2010-08-16, 05:15 PM
Annustel

Well, I hope everything is in order now, and everyone has enough supplies--and has done enough with the library books. I heard you dropped some books off while I was in the library, Galtor.

To get down to it, though, I think we need to decide how to travel first. We could either accompany a trade mission up the river, as security, or we could set out on our own feet. I'd favor the latter, so that we can stop wherever we want--at the sight of the attack, for instance, and I'd also like to stop in at Fairwater Forest; the Elves there may have some knowledge about those bandits based on the arrow and the description those Dwarves gave. And of course, both of you probably have ideas about people or places we should visit.

HeroComplex
2010-08-17, 02:00 PM
Galtor

Galtor is excited as the anticipation of this journey washes over him. At the mention of locations to visit he adds, "You're correct, Annustel. I had checked out some of the more obscure tomes that referenced the Black Woods, and some that spoke of a place that loosely translated from the Goliath tongue is "Dark Forest." I've been over the more overt references of the area several times, and dare say that I have committed The Travel Log of Jonathan Drop to memory. I found the entries dated after the 31st most exciting!"
"As for locations to visit, there are some ruins that are rumored to be some days journey back into the forest. Those are what I mean to explore on our adventure."
"I had planned to secure passage with a dwarven convoy headed up the river next week, but as we've moved the timetable up, they have not arrived yet! I find, for a little extra coin, convincing one of the barge captains to head ashore for a few moments to offload us closer to our final destination is a rather efficient and easy way to begin our journey. Do you agree? Good! Then shall we be going?"

Galtor barely stops to breathe, much less listen to the others' responses as he hurriedly heads for the door with his things strapped to his back, using his walking stick to part a path for himself through the crowd.

buirechain
2010-08-17, 06:30 PM
Annustel

Annustel stands up somewhat more slowly, glancing over at Drift while Galtor heads out the door. That is one over-excited Dwarf. We'll have to keep him in check; enthusiasm like his could get us killed in a place like the Black Woods. And I thought we were going to investigate the bandits first.

We better hurry after him.

Guancyto
2010-08-17, 06:44 PM
Drift

Drift, now fully packed, armed and armored, comes down the stairs just about in time to see Galtor heading out the door. Apparently he was noticed, what with the clanking and all.

"So did I..." the shifter agrees as he hurries after Galtor. "I didn't think a dwarf could be so passionate about forests. No offense," he looks around himself quickly, hoping none of the patrons were paying attention to that remark, "hey, wait for us!"

buirechain
2010-08-23, 02:57 PM
Annustel

Annustel hurries after the dwarf who has already moved some distance away by the time he and Drift are even outside the inn. He must hurry through the crowd, while being careful that the bulk of his pack not collide with anyone

Wait! Galtor, wait! He yells from a distance, though it is unclear if the dwarf hears him.

Finally getting close enough, Annustel lays a hand gently on the dwarfs shoulder. As much as both you and I want to get to the Black Woods, you have forgotten about the bandits that we agreed to go after first. They will be on our way to the Black Woods, but we must plan to make stops to investigate them along the way.

HeroComplex
2010-08-23, 10:07 PM
Galtor

"Hmm? What? Oh yes! The bandits, of course we'll take care of them. Should just be a matter of tracking down where the arrow came from and ending their ability to hit the caravans any longer.

Galtor slows his pace as the others have caught up with him, and walks with the group. "So, what exactly brings you all to seeking the mysteries of the Black Woods?"

Guancyto
2010-08-26, 08:42 AM
Drift

Drift thinks a moment. He hadn't really had any real reason, except that it was on the way to the site of the bandit ambush and that "Black Woods" had sounded appropriately foreboding.

"Well, if I need a reason..." he considers, "a lot of people seem too preoccupied with the land that's been lost. It seems like a shame that we don't know the land we're standing on as well as we could, its lore or its history."

"And it sounds foreboding, so it's probably a good place for adventure, right?" he adds after a moment.

buirechain
2010-08-26, 11:46 AM
Annustel

Annustel smiled to himself. Adventure for adventure's sake? Is that what shifters were like? At least the dwarf had a good reason for going into the Black Woods, even if he was far too excitable.

I am interested because it is a pity that the Elves are only able to live in the smaller forests. The Elders do fear the Dark Woods, but it is an unnatural fear. I think that the Dark Woods aren't as dangerous as the Elves think. The Elves are capable of dealing with the dangers of a forest, perhaps even of channeling the magic, if what Galtor believes is correct.

Now, despite your enthusiasm, Galtor, we must discuss how we are traveling. We have at least two stops to make in dealing with the bandits--first at Fairwater Forest, and then at the site of the attack, if we can find it. As much as taking a boat might speed our journey, the traders on the boats may not want to stop even for a moment somewhere that bandits are supposed to be lurking. And if the boat is attacked, we might never even get to land to deal with these bandits.

Walking, on the other hand, is not much slower, especially since boats will be travelling against the current. And it is only a few days walk to the Black Woods.

HeroComplex
2010-08-26, 12:17 PM
Galtor

"Yes, yes, yes. The bandits. We'll take care of them. If we need to stop along the way so closely, I'm sure we could walk there."

Galtor doesn't seem that concerned with how they get there, so long as they get going.

"On which side of the river are your people residing? It may be easier to cross the river here, before beginning our journey."

buirechain
2010-08-29, 12:45 PM
Annustel

Then let us head out on the south side of the river. The Elders council will be found there. The Elves will make it easy to cross the river in the forest if need be, to chase down the bandits.

Annustel pauses, contemplating what to say next. It is absolutely critical that while we are among the Elves, no one mentions any interest in the Dark Woods. The Elders must not know that I plan to explore them now, otherwise they might try to keep me away, even by force. Do you understand that, Galtor?

HeroComplex
2010-09-07, 11:15 AM
Galtor

Galtor ponders the elf's words for a while as they walk, finally coming to a conclusion. "It may be best then, if we gather any of the provisions we may need from your people under the pretense of needing them to stop the bandit threat. Hopefully, your counsel of elders won't catch wind of our intentions until well after we've departed." He quirks his head slightly to the side and asks, "But why wouldn't they want us to go into the Wood?"

buirechain
2010-09-07, 01:37 PM
Annustel

Annustel smiles, slightly, glad that Galtor is letting his senses work again, at least slightly.

All of the elders think it would be a bad idea, completely useless and all of that--you can imagine elders saying that. They only say it, because they don't understand the Dark Woods and don't want to take the effort to understand them either. So they discourage all the young people from going.

The problem is, I'm not just any Elf. Because of a chance of birth--I was the first Elf ever born in the Emeraldpine Forest, it is expected that one day, though maybe not for at least thirty years, I will lead a large colony of Darioak-born elves across the bone breaker mountains to settle the forests on the far side of the continent. So they really don't want me taking risks by exploring the Dark Woods.

Guancyto
2010-09-07, 02:31 PM
Drift

"The best laid plans..." Drift says to himself, smiling. "So what you're saying is that you're a symbol of hope to your people, and that we should take good care of you. I think we can manage that, don't you, Galtor?"

"Do they think you'd go there, by the way? It's one thing to just not tell them about that part of our plans, but I'm not a very convincing liar if they decide to question us about it."

buirechain
2010-09-10, 06:26 PM
Annustel

Annustel sneers slightly when drift calls him a 'Symbol of Hope,' he doesn't like the term, and thinks of himself as something very different from a symbol, but he doesn't say as much.

I doubt it would be brought up. I have been careful never to give any hint of interest in the Dark Woods since I was much younger. Right now they think that I am undergoing minor quests in order to build up my abilities to lead my people--things like taking care of the bandits.

HeroComplex
2010-09-13, 09:36 AM
Galtor

"Well, we wouldn't want to disappoint them, now would we? I say we strike out on the south side of the river immediately. Let us retire these bandits once and for all and continue on our way."

Galtor continues to walk at a fast clip, doing the best his stubby legs can to cover as much ground as possible without over-exerting himself by actually running.

Guancyto
2010-09-13, 06:41 PM
Drift

"I don't think it'll be that easy," Drift shrugs, "but it's good to know the elves shouldn't give us trouble, at least."

WarBrute
2010-09-14, 10:44 PM
The Trio from Farglynn

It is just passed high noon when the trio of a dwarf, an elf and a shifter depart from the front of the Druken Fish. They quickly navigate their way through the River District and reach the western wall of Farglynn. The large area that had just a few hours ago been filled with wagons, merchants and travelers now was empty, all of them having departed early in hopes to reach their destination before nightfall.

The two human guards standing at the gateway nod in a friendly enough manner as the trio passes through the city entrance. They cross the simple stone bridge spanning the width of the Fairwater River and come to the worn dirt trading road that runs along the south bank.

As the company hikes west the jagged peaks Bonebreaker Mountains, forever capped in snow, grow taller and more imposing and the patch of green which could only be the Fairwater Forest grows wider and more expansive. The road winds around and over the rolling foothills, occasionally departing from the side of the river before quickly returning. There are several forks that lead off to smaller roads pointing south. The trees that dot the roadside are ancient and gnarled oak, however as the elevation increases the oak are replaced by tall and pungent evergreens.

After a few hours the sun begins to reach the tips of the mountains in the distance. A small dust cloud appears down the road and soon the trio sees a wagon drawn by a pair a horses. The wagon comes to a slow stop as it reaches the company. It is driven by a middle aged human with light chestnut hair and a short beard and was flanked by a young half-orc and human with matching short black hair and swords and armor. The young human and half-orc instinctively reach for their swords but the middle aged man wave them down.

"Easy boys." The middle-aged humans says. "Oi, down there!" He calls to the trio, "There's been rumors of bandit attacks in the area from people heading west." His eyes dart to Annustel then quickly away, "Have you three heard or seen anything about it?"

HeroComplex
2010-09-16, 09:31 AM
Galtor

"Hail! And well met, fellow travelers! We have heard a bit, I say, of the bandits. I dare say, you may put your weapons away. We are of no threat to you." Galtor gestures pleasantly with his open hand, leaning easily against his sturdy staff.

We come from Farglynn and there was a river barge just this morning that was attacked by the brigands. Though they weren't clear as to from where along the river the attack came. You are right to travel with such a well armed escort. I'm sure your load is precious, and you'd hate to lose it early."

"Come! Tell us! What have you heard of the bandits? Any bit of news could be useful to travelers such as us."

WarBrute
2010-09-16, 02:43 PM
The Trio

The human man smiles, placated by the dwarf's friendly demeanor. He pats the side of his wagon heartily, "Precious enough. High grade dwarf weapon shipment for the folks down at Last Chance. I'm sure not risking it on the river" The two mercenaries seem to relax, though the remain silent. "You know that incident on the river hasn't been the only one."

He drops his voice, "Big caravan was attack while going south on the road this morning through the Fairwater Forest. Only two made it out. Said a bunch of humans and half-elves killed their whole group. One even said he saw an Eladrin. Said the elves that usually keep an eye on the place were no where to be seen." He straightens shaking his head. "I was nervous about going through there today, but the Darin brothers here are worth every copper piece. When we went through I didn't see a single pair of elven eyes looking back at us... Dead silent it was. I would say you three should get off the road and head around the forest if you can tonight."

buirechain
2010-09-17, 07:14 PM
Annustel

Annustel frowned as he listened, then grimaced as he got to the end. As he spoke, his voice sound annoyed.

The Elves of Fairwater Forest are not a threat, if that's what you're implying. If not, you should know that no small band of humans and half-elves could do anything to them--even if an Eladrin is hanging around.

We thank you for your concern, but we'll be headed into the Forest. I'm sure that the survivors mistook their starting location, they couldn't have been close to the inhabited parts of the forest. There still aren't enough Elves in Darioak to fill the forests completely.

It's not clear whether he entirely believes everything he says.

WarBrute
2010-09-17, 08:07 PM
The Trio

The man holds up his hands in defense, "Hey now." He says to Annustel. "I'm not meaning any offense. The elves aren't out to get anyone, I know. They're just keeping an eye on their land. I get that. And I'm not going to be forcing you to stay out of that forest. I'm just giving some friendly advice among travelers."

Guancyto
2010-09-20, 01:00 AM
Drift

"And we appreciate the warning. All of us," Drift asserts, hoping rather than believing it to be true. "We should hurry. Lady of Change speed your way," he nods quickly to the other travelers, seeing his companion's growing agitation.

"Annustel, how long have you been away?" he asks after a piece, "maybe something has happened?"

WarBrute
2010-09-20, 09:36 AM
The Trio

The man gives a half smile, glad the armored Shifter intervened. "Thank you for the blessing. It's always good to see the presence of Alavandra on our roads. I'm sure the monks at small temple down the road would be glad to help one of their brothers. At least they will give you a place to stay and... um... gather your thoughts before you do anything rash. Well, farewell... Come on boys" The horse starts moving and the wagon is pulled passed the group and continues east towards Farglynn.

HeroComplex
2010-09-20, 11:04 AM
Galtor

Galtor quietly ponders the man's statements. Trying to put all of the pieces together in his mind.

"An Eladrin may explain the bandit's more advanced use of the arcane as evidenced by that poisoned arrow," Galtor explains to no one in particular. "I believe we should press on to this monastery that the kind gentleman mentioned. If there have been any attacks in the area, perchance some survivors have found their way there."

Galtor nods determinedly and looks to the others to begin pressing on with their journey.

buirechain
2010-09-20, 11:39 AM
Annustel

Drift's intervention helps Annustel slowly calm down.

I have not been to Fairwater Forest in some months. However, it is less than a week since I left Emeraldpine Forest. As that is the chief forest of the Elves, it is rarely more than a few days go by without some news being brought of the other forests--never more than a week. If anything were to have happened it would have to have happened in the past few days--and if anything did happen, then we can expect Elves from other forests to come soon to deal with the problem. But I still cannot believe that a bunch of bandits could defeat or capture all the Elves of the forest.

Then he listens to Galtor's suggestion, and nods.

We should certainly head to this monastery and see if they can offer Drift any aid. But we should be quick to move on and get into the Forest. I do think we should depart the road, though, and travel somewhat north and enter the forest halfway between the merchant's road and the river. We'll do better to find my kin away from the heavily traveled areas.

Assuming I'm reading the map right, and what I take to be a major road just goes through the far southern end of the Forest.

WarBrute
2010-09-20, 12:33 PM
Assuming I'm reading the map right, and what I take to be a major road just goes through the far southern end of the Forest.

OOC:

Yes, the gray line is the major road that runs through the Fairwater Forest. You are about 40 min away from the forest's edge.

the time is about 5:30pm and the sun will drop below the mountains putting the valley below in shadow in about a half hour. It will be fully night time darkness at about 7:00pm.

Guancyto
2010-09-23, 03:02 PM
Drift

"I'd certainly like to see the monastery," Drift agrees, wondering exactly what a monastery of Avandra would even be like, "but we should move on quickly."

WarBrute
2010-09-24, 03:36 PM
The Trio

The three companions continue up the road after the man's departure. After walking for about twenty minutes two structures come into view. One appears to be a stable, the sound of a few horses and goats can be heard emanating from the wooden structure. The other structure is small and made of gray stone. Light glows out of the few unadorned windows. A symbol of three waves hangs above the heavy dark oak door. A small box is mounted on a post on the side of the road. The same symbol that adorns the doorway is painted on the box along with the words.

Welcome all travelers, traders and wanders. May Avandra bless not only your journey along this road, but also your passage through life.

Muffle voices are heard from within the stone structure.

buirechain
2010-09-28, 04:25 PM
Annustel

Well Drift, this looks like a pleasant enough place. Are you going to introduce us to your friends, so we can make it to the forest before the sun sets?

HeroComplex
2010-09-29, 09:14 AM
Galtor

"Yes, I agree with Annustel. You should lead us inside. They'll likely be much more cordial to you as a follower of their beliefs than they would of us, ones who do not believe as they do."

Galtor gives a satisfied nod at having thoroughly expressed himself.

Guancyto
2010-09-29, 11:47 AM
Drift

"I don't think they'd have any objection to you," Drift contends, a little embarassed and a little nervous, "Avandra isn't exactly an exclusive goddess, I don't think. But if it will make you feel better, I will."

And so he does, walking up and rapping a gauntleted hand on the stone structure's door. Because it would be impolite not to knock, see.

WarBrute
2010-10-01, 08:04 PM
The Trio; Road side Monastery

The knock from Drift's gauntlet echos softly through the thick wooden doors. There is a change in the voices and the sound of a chair scraping across a stone floor. Soft foots steps proceed the door opening. A short man stands in the door way wearing a simple white shirt, and dark trousers, a symbol of Alavandra hangs from his neck. He has watery blue eyes and graying black hair, he is perhaps around 50.

The man smiles wide, "Oh more travelers good! And a warrior traveler at that." He says eying Drift's plate armor. His eyes focus on the Shifter's holy symbol. "Ah! Not just a warrior, but a warrior of the Goddess Alvandra, as well." He turns his head and calls to some one behind him, "Warren, go to the cellar and get something good for our visitors." He turns back to Drift, and stands aside. "Please come in. We are just serving dinner now."

The building is lit by a small fire in the hearth along with a few wall mounted candles. A long wooden table fills up a majority of the room. A few coats line the walls. Around the table, three halflings, two humans, two dwarfs and a half orc sit. One of the halfings and one of the humans are dressed similar to the greeter and wear holy symbols. The rest appear to be travelers.

buirechain
2010-10-03, 06:37 PM
Annustel

Annustel suddenly notices a rumble from his stomach.

A meal would be most appreciated he said, letting his hunger take a hold of him, since he no longer felt the need to defend the honor of the elves. While we're eating it might be good to discuss the recent banditry in the area--if any of your more knowledgeable guests, or any of your residents, would be willing to talk about it.

[roll0]

WarBrute
2010-10-03, 11:05 PM
Roadside Monastery

Annustel's words bring the man's attention away from Drift. "Ah yes. The bandits." He says his smile faltering. "It has been a particular bad week on the road. We have a few clerics watching the roads and looking into it, but with funding the way it is..." He trails off. "But, yes please. Let's enjoy a meal together before we speak of such things. I am brother Bryn by the way. Please, go and sit with Brother Owen, Brother Merric and the other travelers while I go fetch dinner. Brother Warren should be up soon with drinks" Bryn hurries of through a small doorway where the sounds of pots and pans can be heard.

Sitting arrangements (if they matter to you): Brother Merric (Halfling) and Brother Owen (Human) sit across from each other at the end of the table. The two humans, one male and one female. appeared to be married and sit cloes to each other in the middle across from two male halflings. The two male dwarfs sit across from each other slightly apart from the humans. Lastly a female half-orc (the only one wearing armor) sits apart from the rest quietly cleaning a dagger.

HeroComplex
2010-10-05, 08:59 AM
Galtor

As Galtor surveys the room, he moves to take a seat with his kinsmen. "Good evening, gentle-dwarfs! Do you mind if I join you for your evening meal?"

Galtor is barely seated before he continues, "Traveling these roads seems more perilous than ever these days. Have you heard much of the brigantry taking place these past days?"

Diplomacy: [roll0]

WarBrute
2010-10-06, 09:33 PM
Roadside Monastery

The two dwarves smile and nod at the their fellow dwarf, "Well met, we are always happy to see another dwarf on the road. I'm Torram and this is my brother Harbek." One of the dwarves says, "We just came from some farms near Mountain Roots south of here this morning and we haven't had any trouble. We were going to all to Riverwash today, but when we heard 'bout the trouble in Fairwater Forest, we decided we wait till morning to leave."

Guancyto
2010-10-06, 09:57 PM
Drift

The shifter is more than happy to sit down for dinner. The long day of walking has given him an impressive appetite. There is one thing, though... "you said you had a few clerics watching the roads? Should we keep an eye out for them?" he asks of Brother Byrn.

buirechain
2010-10-06, 10:04 PM
Annustel

Not seeing any friendlier faces, Annustel follows drift to sit with the monks, all the while shaking his head at Galtor's dwarvish over-enthusiasm. It's as if he's been away from all other dwarves for a year. Not 8 hours.

HeroComplex
2010-10-08, 03:34 PM
Galtor

"Ah! Mountain Roots! Great wine! And you saw nothing of interest along the way?" Galtor continues.

WarBrute
2010-10-15, 01:21 PM
Roadside Monastery

The dwarf Harbek laughs, "Yes, yes very good wine, indeed. The Goliaths would sure agree with you. They just love it! Can you believe they never knew what wine was before we arrived?" He laughs again. "We make quite the fortune moving wine up the Bonebreakers to them. We could sell you a bottle if you are interested.."

His brother cuts him off "Bother, always thinking business. And no we didn' see anything odd on the way down. The elves were a bit rowdier than normal... but" He turns to Annustel, "the Mountian Root tribe has always been a bit wild, eh?"

As he talks Brother Warren returns from the cellar with a few bottles of wine. "Wine from the old county, truly old, truely rare and truly wonderful!" He places the bottles gingerly on the table. "But the presence of a one of Annustel's warrior is always a time for celebration"

He uncorks the bottle and Brother Brynn walks in from the kitchen bearing a large cauldron of steaming Lentil soup. Warren and Brynn work their way around the table pouring wine and soup. As they do Brother Brynn talks, "Oh, well I'm sure the clerics will make their presence know. And they would be happy to travel with you if you wanted some more company." He pulls a loaf of dark bread from his apporn and begins cutting it. "And I'm sure they would love help looking for those bandits, that is if you have time to help." He sits, "Before you eat, though let us have a prayer" He bows his head and the others at the table follow suit.

"Thank you Goddess of Renewal for protecting and providing for us
For it is trade and change drives our lives
Thank you Goddess of Change for the Continent of Darioak
pure from the evils of past
and full of hope and life
And please continue to watch over your children
That walk upon your roads"

Brother Brynn lifts his head and nods "I think that will do. Go ahead and dig in."

buirechain
2010-10-15, 08:23 PM
Annustel

Annustel is intrigued by the mention of the Mountain Root tribe, so in between bites and sips to appease his stomach, he turns to talk to the dwarves.

Yes, the Mountain Roots tribe is a bit different. I can't say I've met as many of them as I have of any other group of Elves. Druids, I believe. You say they were acting a bit odder than usual? Perhaps something of the natural world has incited their behavior. Can you say anything more about how my cousins were acting?

[roll0] diplomacy

WarBrute
2010-10-18, 10:19 PM
Roadside Monastery

Torram swallows a spoonful of the soup and answers Annuestel, "Well, they were more..." He motions with his hand searching for the right world, "Animalistic, lots of howling n' hollering. Thought they must be doing some kind of complex ritual. Maybe it has somthing to do with the changing seasons."