PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Spontaneous Casting Question

MalinGenie
2010-07-19, 04:43 PM
This question arose during our last gaming session, and neither myself nor my co-DM could find a definite reference in the (core) Rulebooks, so wondering if anyone here knew:

If a Cleric has prepared a spell with metamagic (for example, a still silent Remove Paralysis as a 4th level spell I like to keep around after that horrible ghoul encounter ...) and it is converted into a healing spell; is it converted into

(a) a 'normal' healing spell of the same level (so Cure Critical in the example given)

(b) the corresponding metamagicked healing spell (so still silent Cure Moderate in the example given)

(c) the player can choose at the time

(d) other

Protecar
2010-07-19, 04:51 PM
I'd rule that it'd become a Cure Critical Wounds. The metamagic was applied to a different spell and would be converted along with the original spell itself.

Optimystik
2010-07-19, 04:52 PM
(a) is correct. Spontaneous Conversion does the following:

1) What is the modified level of the spell you wish to convert? (4)
2) What Cure spell matches that level? (CCW)
3) Is it your domain slot? (No)

Once all of those are checked, it converts your metamagicked RP into a CCW.

Keld Denar
2010-07-19, 04:52 PM
(c), however as it is MM applied to a spontaneously cast spell, it would be subject to the same rules that apply to Sorcerers applying MM spontaneously to spells.

Also, you can apply other MM to the spell than the lost spell has. If you had Silent Spell, Still Spell, and Empower Spell, and you dropped a Silent Still Remove Paralysis (4th level), you could get a Cure Critical (4th) as a standard action, or as a full round action get an Empowered Cure Moderate (4th).

The only thing that matters is that the net spell level is the same.

Malakar
2010-07-19, 04:55 PM
You have a second level spell prepared in a 4th level slot.

According to the technical rules "The cleric can "lose" any prepared spell that is not a domain spell in order to cast any cure spell of the same spell level or lower (a cure spell is any spell with "cure" in its name)."

You can lose the spell to cast Cure Moderate Wounds.

However, I would personally houserule that it is the slot of the spell, and you can turn your 4th level slot into a Cure Critical. This houserule has a long history of being assumed to be the real rule in for example, Ice Wind Dale II, and Temple of Elemental Evil, the 3.0 and 3.5 D&D video games.

In no case do your metamagic effects transfer over. Though again, I would houserule that you could apply for example, maximize to a spontaneous cure light wounds with a 4th level slot, as if you were a spontaneous caster (so increased casting time, except that I would houserule that away for all spont casters).