PDA

View Full Version : The lawyers are actually good!

Kzickas
2010-07-19, 04:58 PM
The punishment was only supposed to last until death which means that once dead they (or in that case their bodies) will be released and they can simply be resurrected and go their merry way. That makes the comment about the sentence only lasting a few weeks entirely correct and not only literally. The sentence is effectivly a few weeks imprisonment and a 5000gp fine

Edit: I just realized that people could interpret the title as a morality thread, oops

Dr.Epic
2010-07-19, 05:00 PM
Assuming of course their bodies are let go and aren't say given to the Empress who'd eat them. Her eating everything seems to the case.

Cealocanth
2010-07-19, 05:07 PM
Except for the several thousand gold peices worth of diamond dust required to raise them.

( I saw this as a morality thread before reading your post. )

Dr.Epic
2010-07-19, 05:11 PM
( I saw this as a morality thread before reading your post. )

Congrats. Wanna cookie?

Bongos
2010-07-19, 05:11 PM
well, there's the mild starvation, the degradation, forced gladiator training and finally the pain of area combat, but yeah, after that.

I suppose our adventurers and the bounty hunters can afford the 5,000 gp. The other guys? Probably not so much:smallfrown:

Ladorak
2010-07-19, 05:21 PM
With Elan's father leading up to his big reveal and Roy's nature being what it is I'm wondering if we're about to see a Spartacus situation. So don't feel too bad for the other guys, they may survive :smallsmile:

NerfTW
2010-07-19, 06:52 PM
You'd have to not only have access to the bodies, but access to a cleric of sufficient level as well. Without access to the bodies, it's not even clear there are ANY clerics capable of doing a true res.

Most likely the bodies are also not just dumped outside for ease of raising.

And from Roy and Belkar's perspective, they have no idea where the others are or if they'd be able to find them. It's far too risky to be potentially dead while the team scrambles to find a diamond to raise them with, when Xykon could port in any second.

Dr.Epic
2010-07-19, 06:56 PM
You'd have to not only have access to the bodies, but access to a cleric of sufficient level as well. Without access to the bodies, it's not even clear there are ANY clerics capable of doing a true res.

Oooo! I bet Red Cloak is 17th level! (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0579.html)

calar
2010-07-19, 07:51 PM
Yeah, except resurrection sucks to cast. Plus it is unlikely that the Order could afford it as they used their last diamond on Roy last time.

Dr.Epic
2010-07-19, 08:34 PM
Yeah, except resurrection sucks to cast. Plus it is unlikely that the Order could afford it as they used their last diamond on Roy last time.

Elan just found out his father is second in command for an Empire. I'm sure he could scrap together the funds (if Elan could get him to do that is another question).

Souhiro
2010-07-19, 10:42 PM
Well, Resurrecing Roy again, when he was resurrected 70 strips ago, would just make death WAAAY cheaper (Roy was dead for more than 200 strips!) and just have the order run with his corpse for another 200 strips is silly!

But it seems to be hard times for Belkar! a sexy shoeless god of war, forced to be in sandals! that surely will reduce his powers.

Dr.Epic
2010-07-19, 10:44 PM
Well, Resurrecing Roy again, when he was resurrected 70 strips ago, would just make death WAAAY cheaper (Roy was dead for more than 200 strips!) and just have the order run with his corpse for another 200 strips is silly!

Hey! Death is not cheap! Death has standards like any respectable Endless.

ChowGuy
2010-07-19, 10:48 PM
But it seems to be hard times for Belkar! a sexy shoeless god of war, forced to be in sandals! that surely will reduce his powers.

Well it will definately piss him off. Would you want to fight a pissed off Belkar? OTOH.... it is an art change.... ooooo, character development!

Nimrod's Son
2010-07-19, 11:36 PM
they can simply be resurrected and go their merry way.
Yeah, that worked a treat last time.

Ancalagon
2010-07-20, 03:26 AM
The punishment was only supposed to last until death which means that once dead they (or in that case their bodies) will be released and they can simply be resurrected and go their merry way. That makes the comment about the sentence only lasting a few weeks entirely correct and not only literally. The sentence is effectivly a few weeks imprisonment and a 5000gp fine

I doubt the Empire is that stupid or that fair.

Fairness does not seem to play role in all this. I doubt they let bodies get raised - without a high fee, of course. But I would also not be surprised if you could buy out non-dead prisoners for a very high fee... so... no, I do not think it works like that in the empire.

If it goes on as it was shown, dead gladiators rather end up in a fire or as food for the arena-monsters (dire lions or something would be fitting).

Remember: Evil. And evil does not like to get cheated. The proposed theory is a very easy way out of the thing and I really doubt the Empire will allow that.

LuPuWei
2010-07-20, 04:48 AM
If it goes on as it was shown, dead gladiators rather end up in a fire or as food for the arena-monsters (dire lions or something would be fitting).

Or undead minions?

Ancalagon
2010-07-20, 05:54 AM
Or undead minions?

If the Empire of Blood was into undead, we'd see more undead workers and less slavery.

I think you confuse the current rulers with Xykon...

Optimystik
2010-07-20, 12:11 PM
Oooo! I bet Red Cloak is 17th level! (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0579.html)

Not sure what Belkar is basing that on - Redcloak has never cast anything above 8th level.

Ancalagon
2010-07-20, 12:37 PM
Not sure what Belkar is basing that on - Redcloak has never cast anything above 8th level.

Belkar has even less information than us about Redcloak. So it's likely he was just guessing or maybe even teasing.

Totally untouched by that is the fact that Redcloak SHOULD be able to cast level 9 spells by now...

Morquard
2010-07-20, 01:12 PM
Also just because Belkar and Haley think there are no level 17 clerics doesn't mean there aren't.
There could be an entire continent full of epic level clerics, who just don't like to show off.
For all we know Malack could be epic level. Or level 3, since we don't really know anything.

Also Durkon should be getting close to level 17 too now, as does the rest of the order.

But I also don't think they'll die and get ressed. Either Roy is leading a spartacus revolt or Elan convinces Tarquin to let them go. Or he turns on his father right there and starts a civil war. Or he is excited about the dramatic tension and wants to see how it plays out instead of saving them, and Haley has to do all the work.

Ladorak
2010-07-20, 03:53 PM
I am Roy-acus

Southern Cross
2010-07-20, 04:15 PM
Malack has cast blade barrier,so he's at least an 11th level cleric (as blade barrier is a 6th-level cleric spell).

cha-ching
2010-07-20, 06:10 PM
sorry to totally kill this, but what game is the comic based on? (i'm new here)

RndmNumGen
2010-07-20, 11:54 PM
Malack has cast blade barrier,so he's at least an 11th level cleric (as blade barrier is a 6th-level cleric spell).

He's also cast Heal, another 6th-level spell. I don't think we've seen any 7th level spells, though.

Raistlin1040
2010-07-21, 12:10 AM
Dungeons and Dragons, 3.5 edition.

theMycon
2010-07-21, 12:13 AM

The comic is based on The Dungeon of Dorukan (http://www.ookoodook.com/store/OOTSAdvGame.shtml), the OoTS Card game. However, somewhere around comic 120, Rich (the author) ran out of material and started doing his own thing.

Ancalagon
2010-07-21, 01:34 AM
The comic is based on The Dungeon of Dorukan (http://www.ookoodook.com/store/OOTSAdvGame.shtml), the OoTS Card game. However, somewhere around comic 120, Rich (the author) ran out of material and started doing his own thing.

I'm not sure if this is supposed to be a joke. If yes, a smiley or so would have been nice. If no, it's just wrong facts.

OotS is a strip that was based on D&D 3.5 and made fun about rules, clichés in role playing games and threw out a few pop culture references. Around #20, some first idea of a storyline appeared and from #100 (around) there were plans for a long and epic unique story. That is what we see until now.

Dungeon of Dorukan is a game that is based on the first section of the comic.