PDA

View Full Version : Stat yourself with WOD mechanics

Kurald Galain
2010-07-19, 05:52 PM
Okay, in a recent thread people were statting themselves using D&D mechanics (six attributes, lots of skills, and levels). This thread attempts to do the same using World of Darkness mechanics. This thread is not meant for debating which mechanics are superior, just give an example of your stats.

Here's a World Of Darkness skill list (http://wiki.white-wolf.com/worldofdarkness/index.php?title=Skills_%28World_of_Darkness%29). The nine attributes are below. Attributes is ranked from one to five, where two is average, and four and five is extremely good. Skills go from one (beginner) to three (advanced), again four and five is extremely good.

So this is me, more or less.

Attributes
Intelligence ••••• Strength •• Presence ••
Wits •••• Dexterity •• Manipulation ••
Resolve •• Stamina ••• Composure •••

Skills
Academics •• Athletics • Animal Ken
Computer ••• Brawl Empathy ••
Crafts • Drive • Expression •
Investigation ••• Firearms Intimidation
Medicine • Larceny Persuasion •
Occult ••• Stealth • Socialize ••
Politics • Survival • Streetwise
Science ••• Weaponry Subterfuge •

Old World of Darkness has a few extra skills, notably Linguistics and Alertness.

SurlySeraph
2010-07-19, 06:55 PM
Intelligence 4, Wits 3, Resolve 1
Strength 2, Dexterity 3, Stamina 2
Presence 2, Manipulation 2, Composure 2

Skills:
Mental: Academics (History) 3, Computer 1, Investigation 1, Medicine (Emergency Care) 2, Occult 1, Politics 1, Science 2
Physical: Athletics 2, Brawl (Grappling) 2, Stealth 1, Survival 2
Social: Empathy 2, Persuasion 2
Virtue/Vice: Justice/ Sloth
Merits: (7 dots) Eidetic Memory (2), Language (French) (1), Language (Latin) (1), Resources (1), Fighting Style (Grappling 2, from Armory Reloaded. No, I don't meet the stamina requirement. I don't care).

Caphi
2010-07-19, 07:01 PM
You think you're 5 intelligence? Really? On a scale where 3 is merely uncommon and 4 is exceptional?

OverdrivePrime
2010-07-19, 07:48 PM
You think you're 5 intelligence? Really? On a scale where 3 is merely uncommon and 4 is exceptional?

I'm not sure if you're serious or if you're making a joke about the silly "no one can have an 18" screaming matches from the d20 threads. If you're going to complain about people rating themselves at 5 dots in a stat or skill, you'd better be prepared to complain about people having a 1 in a stat as well.

KillianHawkeye
2010-07-19, 09:38 PM
If you're going to complain about people rating themselves at 5 dots in a stat or skill, you'd better be prepared to complain about people having a 1 in a stat as well.

A 1 isn't that uncommon in WoD. Having a 0 in a stat would be pretty uncommon in most cases.

Otodetu
2010-07-19, 10:12 PM
Would not a "rate someone else" using the wod system be better?

Draxar
2010-07-19, 10:15 PM
The problem I always find is I feel like I should be something and a half.

Strength 3.5
Dexterity 1.5
Intelligence 3.5

OverdrivePrime
2010-07-19, 10:43 PM
Okay, this fancy schmancy new World of Darkness is still a little unfamiliar to me, but I'll do my best with the new rules. Bear with.

Name: ODP Age: 33 Virtue: Charity Vice: Pride
Attributes
Intelligence ••• Strength •••• Presence •••
Wits ••• Dexterity ••• Manipulation ••
Resolve •• Stamina •••• Composure ••••

Skills
Academics ••• Athletics ••• Animal Ken ••
Computer •• Brawl ••• Empathy ••••
Crafts • Drive •• Expression ••
Investigation • Firearms Intimidation •
Medicine • Larceny Persuasion ••
Occult • Stealth • Socialize •••
Politics ••• Survival ••• Streetwise •
Science ••• Weaponry • Subterfuge ••

James the Dark
2010-07-20, 07:44 AM
Stealing the above-guy's code, because it makes my job easier.

Name: JTD Age: 25 Virtue: Fortitude Vice: Envy
Attributes
Intelligence ••• Strength •• Presence ••
Wits •••• Dexterity ••• Manipulation ••
Resolve ••••• Stamina ••• Composure ••••

Skills
Academics ••• Athletics • Animal Ken ••••
Computer • Brawl • Empathy ••••
Crafts Drive •• Expression •••
Investigation ••• Firearms •• Intimidation •
Medicine • Larceny • Persuasion ••
Occult • Stealth •••• Socialize ••
Politics Survival • Streetwise •
Science ••• Weaponry •• Subterfuge •••

Specialties:
Science-Psychology
Firearms-Rifle
Stealth-Moving Silently Until I'm Much Closer Than You Expect Me To Be
Expression-Writing

Psyx
2010-07-20, 07:48 AM
The problem with WoD is nicely highlighted by this thread: You don't have enough points to even make yourself, let alone someone 'really good'.

Kurald Galain
2010-07-20, 07:53 AM
ODP, thanks for that layout!

The problem with WoD is nicely highlighted by this thread: You don't have enough points to even make yourself, let alone someone 'really good'.
What makes you think that? Most of the examples posted here are pretty close to the 7/5/3 attributes (plus one dot each as default) and 13/9/5 skills the game gives you.

You think you're 5 intelligence?
Yes. Furthermore, I am personally acquainted with two world-level athletes, which I would give a 5 dexterity and 5 stamina, respectively. I don't mean the actual gold medalists, of course. That it's rare to have five dots in anything doesn't mean it's nonexistent.

Kythorian
2010-07-20, 10:33 AM
Actually...it IS almost non-existant. world level athletes are stated to generally have 4 in one or MAYBE two physical abilities. world renown scientists likewise have one or MAYBE two level 4 mental abilities...Those with a five really are the people who win multiple golds at the olympics...then do it again four years later. Or scientists who redefine their fields.

You people are way over-rating yourselves. According to the books, level 5's do exist among mundane people, but they are INCREDIBLY rare. like...maybe a couple hundred or so (non supernaturally enhanced) people on the entire planet have a single 5 in a stat...

In WoD, even when you first create your character, you are supposted to be very exceptional, and you generally have maybe 1 lvl 4 at that point. I don't buy that any single person on this entire thread deserves a single level 4 dot, much less level 5s and multiple lvl 4's. Be honest with yourselves...even well above average int is still only 3.

Below is what I honestly thing of my own stats...

Stealing the above-guy's code, because it makes my job easier.(again)

Name: Age: 24 Virtue: Fortitude Vice: Sloth
Attributes
Intelligence ••• Strength • Presence •
Wits ••• Dexterity •• Manipulation ••
Resolve •• Stamina •• Composure ••

Skills
Academics •• Athletics • Animal Ken •
Computer •• Brawl Empathy •
Crafts Drive • Expression
Investigation Firearms • Intimidation
Medicine • Larceny • Persuasion •
Occult • Stealth Socialize
Science • Weaponry Subterfuge ••

Edit: And why would we complain when someone gives themself a 1? 1's are almost as common as 2's for attributes in WoD...its 4's and 5's that are so extremely rare.

The Rose Dragon
2010-07-20, 10:37 AM
What makes you think that? Most of the examples posted here are pretty close to the 7/5/3 attributes (plus one dot each as default) and 13/9/5 skills the game gives you.

All good, except the game gives you 5/4/3 and 11/7/4. And the fifth dot in attributes costs two points instead of one. Therefore, to have Intelligence 5, you must have Mental as primary and have one dot in both Wits and Resolve.

Psyx
2010-07-20, 10:39 AM

Those aren't the numbers that the game gives you, dude!

Kurald Galain
2010-07-20, 10:43 AM
All good, except the game gives you 5/4/3 and 11/7/4.
Ah yes. oWOD is 7/5/3, nWOD is 5/4/3. My bad.

Actually...it IS almost non-existant. world level athletes are stated to generally have 4 in one or MAYBE two physical abilities. world renown scientists are likewise have one or MAYBE two level 4 mental abilities...Those with a five really are the people who win multiple golds at the olympics...then do it again four years later.
...and where is this stated in the rulebooks? Or is it just your personal interpretation?

For instance, this strikes me as a fair ranking of stamina. Note that these descriptions vary between various editions of WOD, so two books may contradict one another.
* You are out of breath after walking up the stairs.
** You're an average joe and can do some sporting without trouble.
*** You are fit and exercise regularly.
**** You could run a marathon.
***** You could compete in a global running competition.

It so happens that I know several people who regularly run marathons, so that strikes me as four dots, since it is one thing to be above average, and another thing entirely to run 42 kilometers.

Kythorian
2010-07-20, 10:45 AM
I don't remember where it is(And I mostly play oWoD, so maybe they eased up on how many high dot people there are in nWoD, i don't know). And sure...I would say that being able to run a marathon might qualify you for stamina 4. but how many of us here can do that? And its certainly not going to automatically qualify us for 5 just because we can complete the thing. 5 is meant to be the absolute height of human potential. And 2/3 of the posters on a random gaming forum are claiming that they are the height of human potential in at one aspect?

I do not buy it.

Edit: Oh, and even 4 stamina means that you could just go out and run a marathon right now...not that you have at some point in the past or that with a month or two of training you could again...Just working out regularly and running a couple times a week might get you to 3, but it takes real dedication to reach 4, and innate talent AND extreme dedication to reach 5.

Kurald Galain
2010-07-20, 10:57 AM
IAnd sure...I would say that being able to run a marathon might qualify you for stamina 4. but how many of us here can do that?
Not me. But I know several people that could. And competing in the olympics or world series strikes me as precisely the absolute height of human potential.

Let's see. Pulling out a random oWOD book, let me cite some examples of four dots.

Lift 400 lbs. I can't do that myself, but there are some people at the local gym who can. Even if it's just two or three people in my city - there's a lot of cities.
Become a professional athlete or dancer. I can't do that either, but I have had classmates who did just that.
"You can run a marathon" is in fact the description for stamina 4. And yes, I know several people who do just that. If it strikes you that I know a lot of people, you would be correct.

Everyone wants to be your friend. Okay, that's a bit trickier to adjudicate. Still, the most popular guy/girl in college probably qualifies. That's a handful of people per city, again.
I don't know any examples of people with high manipulation (or perhaps I'm just not aware of them :smalltongue: ) but you should be able to find a few in any corporate scene.
Appearance is easier: the description says, you could be a model. A former classmate of mine is dating a model, check. Six Degrees at work again.

So yeah. While four dots is certainly uncommon, I can easily find numerous examples of those in my social circle. Starting a WOD character with a few fours doesn't strike me as problematic. In fact, in oWOD it's hard to avoid: of the 7/5/3, that 7 can easily be distributed as 4/4/3, and that's before freebie points.

Coplantor
2010-07-20, 11:02 AM
That covers the 4 dots stuff, sort of, but some people here claim that they have 5 dots on some skills/atributes.

Kythorian
2010-07-20, 11:05 AM
I never said that 4's were massively rare...they are somewhat rare though. Maybe I'm wrong and you do deserve 4 int...I don't know you, so who knows. I don't believe that you deserve 5 though, simply because the odds of you being one of the handful in the entire country strikes me as low. Because while 4s are simply uncommon, 5s really are vanishingly rare.

As the book says, "Outstanding. The peak of normal human capability. Continuously exercised or naturally blessed."

So unless you really are a scientist at the top of your field or something similar...sorry, you don't have 5 int.

Kythorian
2010-07-20, 11:11 AM
And if we are going back to oWoD for some examples...here are some 5's:

Dex: You can dance along the edge of a precipice while blindfolded.
Cha: You inspire people to great deeds and loyalty.
Manipulation: With little effort, you can make people do almost anything you want.
Appearance: You awe and fascinate others with your beauty.

The others are not so clear in exactly what level of exellence they refer to(ex-perception: few things get past you. what does that mean?)

But hopefully we can get the picture of exactly how amazing people with 5 in a single stat should be. When is the last time you have been awed by someone's beauty? Even by a model? And so on.

Edit: And some lvl 5 abilities:
Brawl: You've developed your own unique style and perhaps formed a fighting school.
Dodge: Over time, you've actually learned to sidestep bullets.
Expression: You are nationally known and loved for your expressive skills, one of the most popular artists of your day, such as Andy Warhol, Pavarotti, or Stephen King.
Intimidation: Faced with your commanding presence, a wolf might consider showing its throat to you.

Drive(here is a good example): level four is "you could race professionally."

Leadership: You can change the course of human evetns, like Gandhi...or Genghis Khan.

etc.

So...yeah...

The Rose Dragon
2010-07-20, 11:19 AM
In fact, in oWOD it's hard to avoid: of the 7/5/3, that 7 can easily be distributed as 4/4/3, and that's before freebie points.

I just opened my Hunter: The Reckoning book, and it's 6/4/3, not 7/5/3. Even then, 7 can be distributed as 4/3/3, not 4/4/3.

Psyx
2010-07-20, 11:23 AM
In my mind:

1: You've had about a week's worth of professional training, and kept up with it. You don't get a level 1 skill just for dabbling, or reading a few books 2 years ago.

2: You are good at this. You studied it a lot, or it's a major secondary field in your job, or it's a hobby that you're really into. You take time to keep up-to-date and in practice and have been professionally trained. Infantry probably have Firearms 2, for example.

3: This is your job, or you could walk into a job in this field. Being fit isn't athletics 3. Being good on a PC isn't Computers 3. Being a theatre nurse is Medicine 3. Being a black-belt who still trains and gets into fights at the weekend is Brawling 3. Being a massive petrol-head who spends all his spare cash on his cars, gets up a couple of nights a week at 2am to practice on empty roads for a while, and goes to track-days a dozen times a year is Driving 3*.

4: You can pull down SERIOUS money in your job, because you're consultant-level. Good doctor: Medicine 4. Top-flight contract programmer: Computers 4. Professional racing driver: Drive 4. Phd and university lecturer: Academics 4. If you have a level 4 skill and don't do it for a living, or in every breathing moment of your spare time... you probably don't have a level 4 skill.

5: World-class. People call you up from other continents to offer you jobs, or to lecture in universities. You've written a stack of books about it that people cite all the while. You at least have a good shot at getting into the national team.

We actually sat in the pub once when 1st Ed V:tM came out and did this, just to see how silly the points system was. Best moment was when someone claimed to have Streetwise 3. I asked him if he could get hold of a sawn-off shotgun for me in less than 2 hours, while someone else said 'No you don't: You got mugged last year! :smallsmile:

*Yes: This is how obsessive I've been about my driving. And there's no way I deserve 4 dots in it!

Kythorian
2010-07-20, 11:24 AM
oWoD varied from system to system. There was no set char creation system for everyone, then you just throw your supernatural template on top of that like there is in nWoD.

Most of the systems were 7/5/3.

The Rose Dragon
2010-07-20, 11:26 AM
oWoD varied from system to system. There was no set char creation system for everyone, then you just throw your supernatural template on top of that like there is in nWoD.

Most of the systems were 7/5/3.

In most of the systems, you weren't creating a normal human. Hunter is the only one where you did.

Kythorian
2010-07-20, 11:41 AM
Those are some wacky "normal humans"...throwing bolts of energy around, and giving themselves supernatural strength...healing from near fatal gunshot wounds in an hour or so...Pretty neat.

But I get your point. I think mostly we are using nWoD mechanics for this anyway though, in which you universally(for hunter, or vamp, or whatever else) get 5/4/3

OverdrivePrime
2010-07-20, 01:42 PM
And 2/3 of the posters on a random gaming forum are claiming that they are the height of human potential in at one aspect?

I do not buy it.

Edit: Oh, and even 4 stamina means that you could just go out and run a marathon right now...not that you have at some point in the past or that with a month or two of training you could again...Just working out regularly and running a couple times a week might get you to 3, but it takes real dedication to reach 4, and innate talent AND extreme dedication to reach 5.

As a reference here, I actually have just gone out and run a marathon. Hadn't run more than a half mile for at least a month prior to this monumentally stupid undertaking. My only excuse is that at the time I was 21 and there was a very cute girl who dared me. I've since learned the valuable lesson of "just because I can, that doesn't mean I should."
A few days later, when I was able to climb stairs without using my hands, I resolved to only use my powers for good and not for showing off.
Since then, I've actually increased my stamina, and I'm still dogged by my damnable pride, but I've got the experience to avoid potentially awful decisions. :smalltongue:

Kythorian
2010-07-20, 02:50 PM
As a reference here, I actually have just gone out and run a marathon. Hadn't run more than a half mile for at least a month prior to this monumentally stupid undertaking. My only excuse is that at the time I was 21 and there was a very cute girl who dared me. I've since learned the valuable lesson of "just because I can, that doesn't mean I should."
A few days later, when I was able to climb stairs without using my hands, I resolved to only use my powers for good and not for showing off.
Since then, I've actually increased my stamina, and I'm still dogged by my damnable pride, but I've got the experience to avoid potentially awful decisions. :smalltongue:

I would say that that does not really qualify you for stam 4...'Being able to run a marathon' to me says being able to finish it and still be in reaonably decent physical shape afterwards. But thats just me. Still, quite impressive. I doubt I could full out run a 10k even with the motivation of a cute girl daring me...:smallsmile:

CarpeGuitarrem
2010-07-20, 04:56 PM
• Poor. Unexercised, unpracticed or inept.
•• Average. The result of occasional effort or application.
••• Good. Regular practice or effort, or naturally talented.
•••• Exceptional. Frequently applied, tested and honed, or naturally
gifted.
••••• Outstanding. The peak of normal human capability. Continuously exercised or naturally blessed.
This is the system that the nWoD uses. Based on this, I'm with the "people are overrating themselves" crowd.

And using the above code...

Name: CG Age: 21 Virtue: Faith Vice: Sloth
Attributes
Intelligence •••• Strength • Presence ••
Wits • Dexterity ••• Manipulation •
Resolve ••• Stamina •• Composure ••••

Skills
Academics ••• Athletics •• Animal Ken
Computer •• Brawl Empathy •••
Crafts Drive Expression •••
Investigation Firearms Intimidation
Medicine Larceny Persuasion ••
Occult Stealth Socialize ••
Politics Survival Streetwise
Science •• Weaponry •• Subterfuge •

Specialties:
Academics--Religion
Athletics--Running
Persuasion--Calming (not a listed specialty, but oh well)

Project_Mayhem
2010-07-20, 06:20 PM
Ooh, we did this a few months ago. Mine was something like:

Name: PM Age: 21 Virtue: Hope Vice: Sloth
Attributes
Intelligence •••• Strength •• Presence •••
Wits • Dexterity • Manipulation •

Skills
Academics ••• Athletics Animal Ken
Computer •• Brawl • Empathy ••
Crafts Drive Expression ••••
Medicine Larceny Persuasion •
Occult Stealth Socialize ••
Science •• Weaponry Subterfuge

Specialties:
Academics--English Lit.
Expression--Creative Writing

Merits:
Don't have the book on me but I remember definitely:

Iron Stomach
Encyclopaedic knowledge (in some areas)
Contacts (Nerds)

-

Not sure about the expression score - I write damn well, but I'm lazy and rarely finish. (see vice)

Tiki Snakes
2010-07-20, 07:02 PM
Good to know we're all significantly smarter than average, with not one person in the thread claiming anything less than 3 int. :smallsmile:

FelixG
2010-07-20, 07:07 PM
And using the above code...

Name: Felix G Age: 22 Virtue: no Virtues for me Vice: Sloth
Attributes
Intelligence ••• Strength ••• Presence •••
Wits •• Dexterity •• Manipulation ••••
Resolve •• Stamina • Composure ••

Skills
Academics •• Athletics •• Animal Ken
Computer ••• Brawl • Empathy •••
Crafts Drive Expression ••
Investigation Firearms ••• Intimidation
Medicine Larceny Persuasion •••
Occult Stealth Socialize •••
Science Weaponry Subterfuge

Mr.Moron
2010-07-20, 07:18 PM
Attributes
Intelligence •• Strength • Presence •
Wits • Dexterity • Manipulation •
Resolve • Stamina • Composure ••

Skills
Academics •• Athletics Animal Ken
Computer ••• Brawl Empathy •
Crafts • Drive Expression ••
Medicine Larceny Persuasion
Occult Stealth Socialize •
Science • Weaponry Subterfuge

Project_Mayhem
2010-07-20, 07:41 PM
Good to know we're all significantly smarter than average, with not one person in the thread claiming anything less than 3 int. :smallsmile:

Well I'm *certainly* at least 4 int :smalltongue: I'm in the top percentile for IQ :smallcool:

Tiki Snakes
2010-07-20, 08:19 PM
Well I'm *certainly* at least 4 int :smalltongue: I'm in the top percentile for IQ :smallcool:

Judging by this thread, aparently Top Percentile means the top 90% of the population. Who knew modern education had managed such good results! :smallcool:

Project_Mayhem
2010-07-20, 09:12 PM
Clearly most WoD players are of above average intelligence.

In fact you might say we ...

:smallcool:

... graduated our game.

YYYYYEEEEEEAAAAAHHHHHH

Kaun
2010-07-21, 12:25 AM
Im sure anybody with 5 dots in int would be smart enough to see how pointless arguing the fact on the internet would be and avoid the whole thing.

+ they would probably have more important things to do with their time then WoD stat them selfs.

Kurald Galain
2010-07-21, 02:22 AM

It is a well-known fact that reading stick figure webcomics makes you smarter.

Project_Mayhem
2010-07-21, 05:10 AM
Im sure anybody with 5 dots in int would be smart enough to see how pointless arguing the fact on the internet would be and avoid the whole thing.

+ they would probably have more important things to do with their time then WoD stat them selfs.

I'm not sure that having high Int necessarily means you work hard and use it effectively. For example, some of the smartest people I know are doing philosophy at uni. Joking aside, I'm at least classified as clever, but I underachieve, and waste my talents on unimportant things. Int is just available brainpower. Resolve, Wits, and probably the common sense merit define how well you use it

Kurald Galain
2010-07-21, 07:19 AM
What are the percentiles, anyway? Does this sound reasonable:

• 30% of the population
•• 40%
••• 29.9%
•••• 0.1%
••••• not measurable

Saph
2010-07-21, 07:22 AM
Given how many WoD characters start with multiple 4s and maybe a 5 as well . . . :smalltongue:

I mean, I know PCs are supposed to be exceptional, but I don't think they're supposed to be lottery-odds exceptional!

Project_Mayhem
2010-07-21, 07:40 AM
What are the percentiles, anyway? Does this sound reasonable:

• 30% of the population
•• 40%
••• 29.9%
•••• 0.1%
••••• not measurable

Depends on the stat and the culture right? We had it more like

•••• 1%
••••• 0.1%

for the higher ones. Most of the PCs in our last game had at least one 5 - two characters (stoic good guys) had 5 resolve, the expert traceur/thief had 5 dex, and the designer clone had 5 Int, Composure, and Stamina (although she was a special case, and had serious drawbacks, like being half everyone elses age and experience)

@ Saph - I've genuinely never played a WoD game where the actual character creation rules were used. We normally write/talk up a character proposal and the ST says ok, no, or ok with modification, and then we stat the character based on back-story. In Mage for example, the story teller said "ok, I want your characters to have around 9 years of experience as a mage, only about 6-7 arcana dots (and no masters) - go."

Psyx
2010-07-21, 08:26 AM
"What are the percentiles, anyway? Does this sound reasonable:

• 30% of the population
•• 40%
••• 29.9%
•••• 0.1%
••••• not measurable"

I envisage it (of percentage of the adult population; 18-60):

1: 5%
2: 89%
3: 5%
4: 0.99%
5: 0.01%

How many people in the population are 'properly' fit and seriously look after themselves? 1-in-20? How many people are UTTER clutzes whose hands visibly shake, who trip over at least once a week, and shouldn't be trusted with a coffee mug or behind the wheel? 1-in-20? those are stats of 3 and 1 respectively. How many suffer from massive personality issues which see them either completely loosing their cool and flipping out or bursting into tears in public at least once a week? That's a resolve of 1.

How many are actually geniuses? 1-in-100? That's a stat of 4.

How many have the potential to be a chess grandmaster, or to represent their country in sports? That's a stat of 5.

mikeejimbo
2010-07-21, 08:40 AM
I have a 1 in Spirit, Mind, and Prime.

(Just kidding)

Project_Mayhem
2010-07-21, 08:51 AM
I have a 1 in Spirit, Mind, and Prime.

(Just kidding)

Fate + gambling + win

lisiecki
2010-07-27, 04:20 PM
'm in the top percentile for IQ :smallcool: [/boast]

Welcome to the board. EVERYONE is in the top percentile for IQ.
Then again if you ask MOST of the people who respond to these threads, they have IQ scores that can't actually be measured by an IQ test

(and yet the give numbers to them anyways)

Some day, Some one on here will say they have an IQ measured at 211, and that they have a freezer that can reach 460°F

Tiki Snakes
2010-07-27, 04:47 PM
Funny you should say that...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3396/3344512733_d463e2dd86.jpg

lisiecki
2010-07-27, 04:50 PM

LoL

Actually that's MY bad, should have been -460°F,

This should be interesting, in these "stat your self" threads there are always so many people who give such insanely high scores.

I'm looking forward to some one who gives an "honest" answer that they have
Int 5, Resolve 5, and Medical 5, who will then have to explain to me why I live in a world with cancer

Project_Mayhem
2010-07-27, 05:05 PM
Vice: Sloth?

They are entirely dedicated to avoiding doing any work

tcrudisi
2010-07-27, 05:33 PM
hmm... it dawns on me that I don't know some of these new stats. I'm gonna use oWoD instead.

Name: Tim Age: 28
Attributes
Strength •• Charisma ••• Perception •
Dexterity ••••• Manipulation •• Intelligence •••••
Stamina ••• Appearance ••• Wits •••

Skills
Athletics Animal Ken Computer ••
Alertness Crafts Enigmas
Brawl Drive • Investigation
Dodge • Etiquette • Law •
Empathy • Firearms •• Linguistics
Expression • Leadership • Medicine
Intimidation Melee Occult •
Streetwise Performance •••• Politics •
Subterfuge •• Stealth • Rituals
Survival • Science •

My logic for anything not ranked as average:
Dexterity 5: I was once one of the top amateur tap dancers in North America. My dexterity is nigh-unmatched except by other top athletes.
Stamina 3: I never get sick.
Charisma 3: I understand social situations and understand how to make other people instinctively like me.
Appearance 3: My friends all claim that I'm the most fashionable and best looking out of the group.
Perception 1: I have been nicknamed "Captain Oblivious"
Intelligence 5: My IQ is 160.
Wits 3: My jokes are corny, but in emergency situations I am the one who stays calm and takes charge... ie, I am able to keep my Wits about me.
Performance 4: See above about being a dancer. Some would argue Athletics, but since I'm only okay at sports but I'm a pretty good actor, I figure I'd lump it into Performance instead.

*edit* I seem to remember an oWoD book that correlated Int with IQ. It went something like this: 1 = 80, 2 = 100, 3 = 120, 4 = 140, 5 = 160+

lisiecki
2010-07-27, 06:00 PM
Dexterity 5: I was once one of the top amateur tap dancers in North America. My dexterity is nigh-unmatched except by other top athletes.

So, some one who used to be one of the top amateur dancers in North America, has the same dexterity as Lu Chunlong or Svetlana Zakharova.

VERY impressive.

lisiecki
2010-07-27, 06:02 PM
I never said that 4's were massively rare...they are somewhat rare though.

Call me crazy, but since 5 is used to expressive peak human capacity for an attribute or ability, I would think there rather rare.

Then again perhaps ALOT of people are operating at peak human capacity. Then again thats just the description from Vampire: the Masquerade revised.

the 2004 book describes it as The peak of human capability.

tcrudisi
2010-07-27, 06:26 PM
So, some one who used to be one of the top amateur dancers in North America, has the same dexterity as Lu Chunlong or Svetlana Zakharova.

VERY impressive.

I sense the sarcasm. :smallamused: However, I was only an amateur because I chose to remain as such. I had the offers; if I had chosen, I would have risen, if not to, then close to the ranks of Gregory Hines, Savion Glover, or Michael Flatly. (Side note: Michael Flatly is not that good. Seriously.)

My old dance partners went on to perform on Broadway and cruise ships. They were very, very good and went on to be professionals... but by their own admission, I was the better dancer.

So yeah, I do believe I have a 5 in Dexterity. Anyone who is at the top of their field is there for a reason: in my case it was because I could do things with my feet that no other tap dancer could do, especially when related to balance.

Also, for everyone else, I found the book that I was quoting for Intelligence. It is the Revised edition of Werewolf:

• Poor: Slow on the uptake, you don't comprehend
anything but the here and now (IQ 80).
• • Average: You finish parts of the daily crossword (IQ lOO).
• • • Good: Puzzles and trivia games are a snap. You see
patterns in given data easily, if you've got the time to
spare (IQ 120).
• • • • Exceptional: Sorting and classifying even complex information
is a breeze. Also, you have excellent recall,
although your memory isn't quite eidetic (IQ 140).
• • • • • Outstanding: You're a true genius who can figure out
just about any problem, no matter how complex, with
the time and resources (IQ 160+).

Tiki Snakes
2010-07-27, 06:38 PM
Eh. All these NWOD built characters are really, really just exactly what I didn't expect from such a thread. The points you get in the nWoD (Which is what I'm familiar with) just seem to put together much more convincingly Human characters.

Ho Hum. :smallsmile:

Xefas
2010-07-27, 06:45 PM
Attributes
Intelligence •• Strength • Presence ••
Wits •• Dexterity •• Manipulation ••

Skills
Computer •• Brawl Empathy ••
Crafts •• Drive • Expression •
Investigation • Firearms Intimidation
Occult Stealth • Socialize
Politics • Survival Streetwise

What can I say? I'm an NPC.

ninja_penguin
2010-07-27, 06:59 PM
Attributes
Wits •• Dexterity •• Manipulation •
Resolve ••• Stamina •• Composure ••

Skills
Academics ••• Athletics • Animal Ken
Computer ••• Brawl Empathy ••
Crafts Drive • Expression ••
Occult • Stealth • Socialize ••
Science ••• Weaponry Subterfuge

I feel the sudden need to improve my combat skills.

Criptfeind
2010-07-27, 08:14 PM

Top one percentile or top one hundred percentile? Because just percentile is a big range.

Intelligence ••• Strength ••• Presence •
Wits • Dexterity • Manipulation ••
Resolve •• Stamina •• Composure •

chiasaur11
2010-07-27, 09:58 PM

An authentic Johnson?

Wow. I had no idea he interested himself in that field.

All I have is a birdbath. It's...quite the conversation piece.

lisiecki
2010-07-28, 07:39 AM
I sense the sarcasm. :smallamused: However, I was only an amateur because I chose to remain as such. I had the offers; if I had chosen, I would have risen, if not to, then close to the ranks of Gregory Hines, Savion Glover, or Michael Flatly. (Side note: Michael Flatly is not that good. Seriously.)

Interesting, if I had chosen, I would have risen, far above Gregory Hines, Savion Glover, and Michael Flatly.

Kythorian
2010-07-28, 08:42 AM
My problem is that you say you are not that good at sports...someone with dex 5 would be good at sports. ALL sports. Sure, you would have one that you are flat out unbelievable at, but you would be better than 99% of other people on the planet at all sports, simply based on pure natural talent, with no training whatso-ever...So Michael Jordan wasn't a GREAT baseball player, but he was certainly a hell of a lot better than some average person...Someone who truely is at the peak of human capacity would be.

So I would guess, even assuming all what you are saying is true, that you are dex 4, with a moderate athletics score(2 or maybe 3), and several specialties in tap dancing, which would end up giving you a large dice pool in that specific field--a dice pool of 9 or so would put you among the best tap dancers in the world without saying you are one of the best overall athletes in the world...just a very good tap dancer.

Int...well, thats a different question that I don't want to get into. Lets just leave it with the fact that even professional IQ tests are in general an awful method of measuring actual intelligence (as demonstrated by multiple studies and tests on the subject through the years), so while an IQ of 160 might indicate you are certainly somewhat smarter than average, it may or may not mean that you are actually among the smartest people on the planet. The only time I have had a true professionally administered IQ test, I got a 149(though this was years ago), but I don't think that I qualify as even an int 4...I am smarter than average, but probably only int 3. I just take tests really well. Again, I don't know you though, so maybe you do deserve int 5. If so, you should get off your ass, learn some more knowledge ranks, and cure cancer. or solve P=NP or something like that...

lisiecki
2010-07-28, 08:47 AM
Int...well, thats a different question that I don't want to get into. Lets just leave it with the fact that even professional IQ tests are in general an awful method of measuring actual intelligence (as demonstrated by multiple studies and tests on the subject through the years)

True, but the INT score in WOD DIRECTLY relates to IQ

Psyx
2010-07-28, 09:38 AM
^ Not quite, because it also mentions memory. I've got a 160+ IQ, but my memory sucks; so I'd never rate a five!

lisiecki
2010-07-29, 02:36 PM
^ Not quite, because it also mentions memory. I've got a 160+ IQ, but my memory sucks; so I'd never rate a five!

True true but thats OLD world of darkness anyways.

in the NEW world, Intelligence is the mental "Power" stat. It dosn't relate to any real world measurement, and is concerned only with the "power" aspect of the mental process, so sheer processing power.

in the new world of darkness, memory is a trait of both Intelligence and Composure.

My interpretation of the rules being that Composure is how well one is able to store an event as a meaningful memory, and Intelligence is the ability to recall it, and to find significant things within it

Fax Celestis
2010-07-29, 02:47 PM
Name: Fax Age: 26 Virtue: Charity Vice: Wrath
Attributes
Intelligence •••• Strength •• Presence ••••
Wits •• Dexterity ••• Manipulation •••
Resolve ••• Stamina •• Composure ••••

Skills
Academics •• Athletics ••• Animal Ken ••
Computer ••• Brawl • Empathy •••
Crafts ••• Drive ••• Expression •••
Medicine • Larceny Persuasion •••
Occult •• Stealth Socialize ••••
Politics •• Survival • Streetwise
Science •• Weaponry •• Subterfuge •

I feel very weighted to the right.

Xuc Xac
2010-07-30, 08:43 AM
These threads are always so funny to read. It amuses me when people will use any flimsy excuse to claim a high stat and ignore plenty of evidence that it's not that high. "I'm really good at math and I always get 'A's on my math tests in college, so I must have Intelligence 5 (even though I took Spanish for 4 years and can't remember anything except 'vaya con queso' and I have to call a tow truck when I get a flat tire because I can't figure out how a lugnut works)." If your only justification for a high Intelligence is that you're good at math, maybe you don't have Intelligence 5. Maybe you have a total Int+Math pool of 5.

"I took a couple karate classes when I was ten and I won over half of my "matches". That was 10 years ago. I guess I must have Martial Arts 5 by now (even though I haven't really practiced in years)." :smallconfused:

Psyx
2010-07-30, 08:56 AM
^This.

I feel truly humbled by some of the people here. Here's me; been competing in motorsport for 17 years, practising for thousands of hours on track... and other people have Drive 3 as well. I'm a published author; and yet my Expression is far out-gunned, too. :smalleek:

Xuc Xac
2010-07-30, 09:01 AM
I'm a published author; and yet my Expression is far out-gunned, too. :smalleek:

Maybe you should try writing some fanfiction. If you post some fanfiction which features Harry Potter taking over the USS Enterprise and you get more than two people who say "Sweet fic, d00d!!1!" then you can officially boost your Expression score by one or two points.

Psyx
2010-07-30, 12:03 PM
Sweet. I'll give that a go! That's IRL-XP practically for free! Maybe I should put some vampires in it, too.

I speak to people that I know at least five evenings a week... that's at least... 15 hours. 750 hours a year.... Surely that's Socialise 5, too?

Emmerask
2010-07-30, 12:30 PM
^This.

I feel truly humbled by some of the people here. Here's me; been competing in motorsport for 17 years, practising for thousands of hours on track... and other people have Drive 3 as well. I'm a published author; and yet my Expression is far out-gunned, too. :smalleek:

Most of these threads are a good example for: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illusory_superiority a very interesting read :smallsmile:

Fax Celestis
2010-07-30, 12:35 PM

You sound like you are undervaluing your own talents.

Emmerask
2010-07-30, 12:39 PM

Most really talented or intelligent people are undervaluing their talents in comparison while those who are in fact not very good at something or not that intelligent overvalue :smallwink:

Project_Mayhem
2010-07-30, 02:46 PM
Of course, you can knock one dot of all the stats of anyone who puts Pride as their vice :smalltongue:

NeoVid
2010-07-30, 03:35 PM
My group did this a long time ago, but I have no idea where the sheet is now...

Name: NeoVid Virtue: Prudence Vice: Sloth
Attributes
Intelligence ••• Strength •• Presence •
Wits •••• Dexterity •• Manipulation ••
Resolve ••• Stamina •• Composure •••

Skills
Academics • Athletics Animal Ken ••
Computer Brawl • Empathy •
Crafts • Drive Expression •••
Investigation • Firearms • Intimidation
Medicine • Larceny • Persuasion ••
Occult • Stealth •• Socialize •
Politics • Survival Streetwise •
Science •• Weaponry • Subterfuge ••

Specialties: Expression(humor), Animal Ken(housepets), Academics(game mechanics)

Flaw: Derangement(anxiety)

Most really talented or intelligent people are undervaluing their talents in comparison while those who are in fact not very good at something or not that intelligent overvalue :smallwink:

Competent people underestimate themselves, and incompetent people overestimate themselves. This was scientifically proven a while back.

Probably by the University of Duh, but still.

Kiero
2010-07-30, 03:57 PM
I'd reckon something like this:

Attributes
Wits ••• Dexterity •••• Manipulation ••
Resolve •••• Stamina •••• Composure •••

Skills
Academics ••• Athletics •••• Animal Ken
Computer •• Brawl ••• Empathy ••
Crafts Drive •• Expression ••
Investigation •• Firearms Intimidation
Occult Stealth •• Socialize ••
Politics •• Survival • Streetwise •

Psyx
2010-07-30, 04:25 PM

No. Not at all. I'm just calling it as the rules state it:

•Novice. Basic knowledge and/or techniques.
•• Practitioner. Solid working knowledge and/or
techniques.
••• Professional. Broad, detailed knowledge and/
or techniques.
•••• Expert. Exceptional depth of knowledge and/
or techniques.
•••••Master. Unsurpassed depth of knowledge
and/or techniques. A leader in the field

Three dots is comparable to something you do for a living. A mechanic has crafts 3. A teacher has academics 3. A Salesman persuasion 3. A politician Politics 3.

That's 30+ hours worth of practical work every week. Four dots is obscenely good. A brain surgeon has 4 dots of medicine. A university professor and lecturer 4 dots in academics. Even maintaining that level of competence requires a LOT of time.

CarpeGuitarrem
2010-07-30, 04:35 PM
Also, along with the above skill rulings, the attribute levels.

• Poor. Unexercised, unpracticed or inept.
•• Average. The result of occasional effort or application.
••• Good. Regular practice or effort, or naturally talented.
•••• Exceptional. Frequently applied, tested and honed, or naturally
gifted.
••••• Outstanding. The peak of normal human capability. Continuously exercised or naturally blessed.

Fax Celestis
2010-07-30, 04:43 PM
That's 30+ hours worth of practical work every week. Four dots is obscenely good. A brain surgeon has 4 dots of medicine. A university professor and lecturer 4 dots in academics. Even maintaining that level of competence requires a LOT of time.

In my particular instance, I only gave myself four dots in one skill: Socialize. I have a degree in Communications. My job involves handling a variety of different people through a variety of media every day, some of whom I need to build a long-term relationship with and others I will never deal with again--and I need to figure out which is which. I have a vast network of friends and associates for a variety of topics: my friends call me the "guy who knows a guy", because I always know someone for pretty much any topic. My manager tells me every performance review that I have an exceptional ability to calm down an angry client and mend a broken situation. I do this for a job for 40+ hours a week before I even get to my private life.

Now, I probably overvalued myself on my Physical statistics and on Athletics (actually, definitely on Athletics), but I find the rest to be rather on-target based upon what my friends, associates, and family tell me.

So, a Revision, using the 7/5/3 attributes and 11/7/4 skill system:

Name: Fax Age: 26 Virtue: Charity Vice: Wrath
Attributes
Intelligence ••• Strength •• Presence •••
Wits •• Dexterity •• Manipulation ••••

Skills
Academics •• Athletics • Animal Ken •
Computer • Brawl Empathy ••
Crafts •• Drive •• Expression •••
Medicine Larceny Persuasion •••
Occult •• Stealth Socialize ••••
Science Weaponry • Subterfuge

Flaw: Colorblind (1pt)
Flaw: ADD (1pt)
Flaw: Derangement (Depression, 1pt)

Egiam
2010-07-31, 12:04 AM
I think I just might be the first poster to admit to an average intelligence score. This is because I believe that attributes should represent something inherent in your abilities as a person. I don't claim to have extraordinary brainpower, but I have been blessed with an excellent education in a 1st world country, which has lead to my functionality as a responsible member of society.

What we are taught is represented by our skill points.

For my stats, I decided to skip using standard character generation rules, and just give myself honest stats.

I had a lot of trouble with Stamina. I have some minor asthma, meaning that I have a below average running endurance, but I do have a fairly high ability to cope with pain and injury.

I gave myself two points in Academics. While I am a straight-A student and teacher's pet, I have not yet achieved any higher education degrees, which I believe would be a requirement for a three or higher.

I have a one in politics. I have not personally studied or participated in it, but have had an intimate view of how elections works and laws are passed through my parents. My mother was deeply involved in the local political process.

I have one point in drive. I'm not an expert. In fact, I'm still learning (planning to get a license in a few months), but I have been told by most of my relatives that I have a knack for it.

I have one point in brawl. I have been training in Aikido for the last year.

I have two points in firearms. Compared to my peers, I have a fanatical amount knowledge about gun. That's not saying a lot considering that most of my peers are ex-Hippies, anti-war activists and the like... but still. I don't use guns for self-defense, to make a statement, or to hunt. I just find them fun. You may also notice my "Airsoft Player" banner in my sig.

I have one point in Animal Ken. I have lived with several pets, and coexist with a lot of wildlife. While I have a knack for training the family dog, I have no formal education.

My real skill is in interacting with other humans. I have been told that I have an exceptional ability to understand others emotions/needs, and deal with them peacefully. I'm easy on the nerves.

I'm also a gifted game master. Game mastering requires social presence, public speaking/performing skills, and wit to keep the story moving smoothly.

I love to perform. I'm a confident public speaker, have been payed to act in a play, and have played electric bass and guitar in restaurants and bistros.

Looking to the future, I am planning to get some higher education to become a Historian or Psychologist.

Virtue: Prudence Vice: Envy
Attributes
Intelligence •• Strength •• Presence •••
Wits ••• Dexterity •• Manipulation •••
Resolve ••• Stamina • 1/2 Composure ••

Skills
Academics •• Athletics Animal Ken •
Computer Brawl • Empathy •••
Investigation Firearms •• Intimidation
Occult Stealth Socialize •••
Science Weaponry • Subterfuge

lisiecki
2010-07-31, 12:15 AM
^This.

Well, we know you PRACTICED but we really don't know if your actually any good at motorsports or if your actually a very good writer.

could just be a case of you having fortitude/pride as your virtue and vice

Gralamin
2010-07-31, 12:56 AM
I dislike stating myself, because I am definitely not impartial. However, this is my closest estimate. Please remember that my vice IS pride, and thus some of it may be a bit too high. I'd actually much more prefer having, say 10 people who know me pretty well statting me, and taking the average. That as well would be biased, but it would likely be a better representation.

Name: Gralamin Age: 19 Virtue: Prudence Vice: Pride
Attributes
Intelligence •••• Strength • Presence •••
Resolve ••• Stamina •• Composure ••

Skills
Academics •• Athletics Animal Ken ••
Computer •••• Brawl Empathy •
Crafts • Drive Expression ••
Medicine Larceny • Persuasion •
Occult •• Stealth Socialize •
Politics •• Survival •• Streetwise
Science ••• Weaponry Subterfuge •

I might actually be undervaluing myself physically.

lisiecki
2010-07-31, 12:58 AM
I dislike stating myself, because I am definitely not impartial. However, this is my closest estimate. Please remember that my vice IS pride, and thus some of it may be a bit too high. I'd actually much more prefer having, say 10 people who know me pretty well statting me, and taking the average. That as well would be biased, but it would likely be a better representation.

Ironically, your undervaluing your self MENTALLY

you really have intelligence 7

Xuc Xac
2010-07-31, 07:09 AM
I'm going to give it a try.

Name: Xϊc Xắc Age: 34 Virtue: Patience Vice: Sloth
Attributes

Skills
Computer • Brawl •• Empathy •
Investigation ••• Firearms • Intimidation
Occult •• Stealth • Socialize
Politics Survival •• Streetwise •
Science ••• Weaponry •• Subterfuge •

Mental: I think my Intelligence may have been 4 at one time, but I haven't been challenging myself lately and my brain is starting to get flabby. I still absorb data like a sponge, but my problem solving ability seems to be a little slower and no longer effortless. Now I have to actually think about things to figure them out. I wish my vice wasn't sloth. I keep meaning to go to the bookstore and pick up some books to refresh my skills but I keep putting it off because I just want to stay home when I get a day off. I used to speak French like a native but I haven't spoken it since 1992 (I no longer needed it in daily life after leaving France). I still understand it on the rare occasions when I hear it or read it, but I can no longer actively produce it. I think I've gained social ability in the same time that my mental ability degraded, but I'd really prefer to just gain abilities rather than trade.

Physical: I usually think of myself as too small and weak, but I'm actually rather muscular and I can lift a lot of weight. I guess I just have high standards because my father was a mountain of a man. I'm pretty solid and beefy so I can take a hit pretty well and I can climb mountains all day with 50kg on my back, but I only gave myself a Stamina of 2 because I don't have as much wind for aerobic activity as I used to. Stamina 2 is average and the average human can walk forever, so that's not too bad. When I get a little more free time, I'll get back to regular aerobic training and get back up to 3.

For the social attributes: I'm really easy going and I don't like to confront people. Nothing much bothers me and I go with the flow very easily which is good for keeping my cool and not getting stressed out by all the stuff I have to deal with. The downside is that I don't naturally project a lot of authority or command much respect because I'd rather be ignored most of the time. I have to actively work (and use skills) to be taken seriously and hold a group's attention.

Academics •••: I'm a professional university lecturer. I have a lot of education and now I'm working on the other side to do the educating.

Athletics 0: I'm familiar with many sports and I know the basic skills for them, but I never really developed good ball-handling fundamentals. I always played very sloppily and relied on tactics and teamwork to make up the difference.

Animal Ken 0: I've always had a dog and I can train dogs, but I don't think I have any special skill at it beyond the understanding of the psychology of reinforcement and punishment. Dogs have been domesticated for thousands of years, so I don't think they're hard to train. I doubt I could train a wild animal that didn't imprint on me at birth.

Computer •: I haven't kept up with the latest in IT stuff, but I'm not afraid to click on the "advanced" tab to change settings. If I have a problem, I can usually solve it or search for documentation on the internet to solve it. For anything that isn't automated (like "download and run this patch file"), I usually have to rely on my Intelligence to learn enough to solve the problem as it comes up.

Brawl ••: Years of regular kung fu and boxing with full contact sparring. Without full contact, I don't think you can really get past •. You might have •••• in theory, but you'll never be able to apply more than • in a real fight if you don't actually practice giving and taking real hits.

Empathy •: My "people skills" naturally suck, so I decided to adopt the Sherlock Holmes method. I studied psychology, method acting, and bluffing in gambling to learn how to actively recognize the visual cues that other people pick up subconsciously. The upside is that I turn it into a mental problem instead of a social problem so I've got a better pool. The downside is that I have to think about it and actively look for clues if I want to know how someone is feeling beyond the obvious things like "his face is red and he's screaming about wanting to kill someone so he must be angry".

Crafts ••: I come from a long line of farmers and workers. I put myself through college working as a carpenter, welder, millwright, industrial mechanic's assistant, and miner. I know more about concrete and masonry than I ever wanted to know (and more than most people are aware that there is to know). And I shovel well. I shovel very well.

Drive ••: I have a lot of experience with a broad range of vehicles on and off road: cars, trucks, snowmobiles, motorcycles, and dump trucks the size of small houses (when I worked in the mine). I figure a score of • would be equivalent to "I can drive a car in normal circumstances and I haven't had an accident in years", so this extra experience should be enough to bump me up to •• (I know enough to know that I'm not good enough to try the fancy maneuvers that people practice when they have •••).

Expression •••: I'm a decent lecturer and writer, but my social attributes suck: it's almost all skill. I've had many students tell me that they appreciate the effort I put into making boring topics seem interesting to them so they can learn and remember the material. Under my real name, I wrote a few books that won some awards. When I worked as a freelance writer for a publishing company, they usually gave other writers' work to me to rewrite and make it exciting and interesting. Even back in university when I took the mandatory writing class in my first year, I would write papers without doing adequate research (Sloth strikes again) but I got good marks anyway. One of my teachers told me that I would be a good minister of propaganda because I didn't support my arguments but I presented them so well that most people would never notice that they weren't supported.

Investigation •••: I used to do this professionally too. I was pretty good at it and very thorough. Sloth actually helped me here. Investigating in the field was fun so I would do it very thoroughly to avoid having to go back to the office and do all the boring paperwork that needs to be done when the fieldwork is finished.

Firearms •: I used to train with a rifle team and got scores around 92 to 95% with an old rifle with iron sights. The guy next to me was an Olympic shooter with a masterwork rifle who scored 99 or 100 every time. I haven't done it in a long time and I never trained with pistols so my skills have probably degraded to this level.

Intimidation 0: I'm just so easy going that no one takes me seriously when I try to be intimidating. There have been times when I intimidated people, but that was all due to circumstance bonuses rather than any skill on my part.

Medicine •: I know first aid, TCM for quickly healing sprains and bruises, and I can administer IV and IM injections (although I'm not comfortable doing it).

Larceny •: I used to have a thing for stage magic, so I practiced distraction and palming small objects to do tricks. The same principles apply to picking pockets. I also considered a career in locksmithing and trained in the basics of picking locks of different kinds. I still have the tools and once in a while I'll open a door when a friend gets locked out, but it's not something I keep up with.

Persuasion •: Much the same as Empathy, I learned a lot of basic psychology and sales techniques to make up for my natural lack of "puppy dog eyes".

Occult ••: Like most gamers, I have an intense interest in mythology and magic. I read voraciously on the subject and easily remember what I read. I also read critically and apply my Academics and Investigation skills, so I know the difference between ancient traditions that were researched and presented by the author and "ancient traditions" that were invented by the author. When I was in college, instead of doing useful studying, I used the big university library to look up and read the real "mythos tomes" that Lovecraft mentioned in his stories (e.g. "The Golden Bough" and "The Emerald Tablet"). If Cthulhu were real, I'd be short on a few SAN points.

Stealth •: A big part of my low Presence is the fact that I hate drawing attention to myself. I just can't help being quiet and staying out of the way. When I was a kid, my father taught me to walk quietly in the woods so animals wouldn't hear us and I've been stepping lightly ever since. I find loud speech and noisy footsteps to be crude and ungraceful. I'm constantly startling people. I hear "AHH! How long have you been there?" almost as often as I hear "Hello".

Socialize 0: I don't have any skill in being "likeable". I just try to avoid being rude and focus on being useful so people will like to have me around. I know a lot of entertaining jokes and interesting anecdotes, but I'm not very charming. I can have an interesting discussion about something, but I can't make small talk about nothing.

Politics 0: I know a lot about government processes, lawmaking, and famous politicians, but I don't really "get it". I could never succeed in a political position that I wasn't appointed to based on merit. I always want to treat people like rational actors, but the electorate rarely are. I know what "political capital" is but I really don't understand why it's necessary. There are too many things that are done just because that's the way they're done and not because they make any rational sense. I just can't wrap my head around that.

Survival ••: If you dropped me in the middle of nowhere, I'd die before Bear Grylls but I'd last longer than a lot of people. I've lived for several weeks in an old canvas tent in the New Mexico desert in summer, I've been outside for days in the northern Michigan winter (and slept in an igloo I made myself), and I've eaten things in the Mekong delta that most people wouldn't believe.

Streetwise •: Part of my investigation work involved talking to a lot of people in some fairly scary neighborhoods. I once met a man high on cocaine with high speed verbal diarrhea who told me more than I ever wanted to know about the many different varieties of cocaine and where to get it.

Science •••: Mostly chemistry and physics. I've done this professionally too. I worked with construction engineers. They'd do the math and tell me how strong they needed materials to be and I would check to see how strong their materials were and how much they needed to be improved if they weren't good enough. Figuring out how to maximize soil density for foundations, testing concrete and mortar strength, analyzing chemicals for use in asphalt roads, etc.

Weaponry ••: Years of regular kung fu practice with staff, broadsword, jian, flute, and daggers. I haven't mastered any of them. The staff is supposed to be the easiest to master, but for me the jian and flute came easier and seem more natural. I think the broadsword and jian techniques would apply equally well to a European arming sword or rapier but I doubt I'd do well at sports like fencing or kendo because I don't know the rules. I've known fencers and they talked about it a lot. It seems to me that using sport fencing techniques in a real fight would get you killed and using real sword-fighting techniques in a fencing match would get you disqualified or make you miss many opportunities to score points.

Subterfuge •: The same techniques I use for Empathy and Persuasion can be easily turned around to fake sincerity.

I have more than the standard starting points in my skills, but I don't think any of them are inflated. I'm just not a starting level character. I've had quite a lot of experience in various areas due to bizarre luck and the attitude to just go with it and take everything as an adventure. I've done and been a lot of things in my life, but I wouldn't say that I've achieved extraordinarily high levels in any of them even though I did very well at some of them. The higher you go, the harder it is to go higher and my vice is Sloth. When I hit ••• in something, I stop and think "that's good enough". I've known and worked with people that had a •••• in something, but that's usually all they had. They always seemed kind of one-dimensional to me.

It was really useful for their career to be really good at that one thing, but it seemed like they never switched off. Their "hobby" was reading about the latest research and developments in their field. I just can't focus that much: I need variety. So, while they (for example) do science for a living, spend their vacations going to professional science conferences, and spend their evening free time on writing articles for science journals, I'm doing science for a living, spending vacations traveling to another country to learn the local language and explore the local food and culture, and spending my free time to practice kung fu, learn guitar, or write novels.

Psyx
2010-07-31, 07:15 AM
could just be a case of you having fortitude/pride as your virtue and vice

Heh... definitely not. I'd have given myself a dozen dots in everything if I was proud. Sloth and erm... You'll have to come back to me for my Virtue.

Patience, perhaps.

Project_Mayhem
2010-07-31, 08:17 AM
Heh... definitely not. I'd have given myself a dozen dots in everything if I was proud.

But not if your virtue is prudence :p

Emmerask
2010-07-31, 12:13 PM
I'm going to give it a try.

Name: Xϊc Xắc Age: 34 Virtue: Patience Vice: Sloth
Attributes

Skills
Computer • Brawl •• Empathy •
Investigation ••• Firearms • Intimidation
Occult •• Stealth • Socialize
Politics Survival •• Streetwise •
Science ••• Weaponry •• Subterfuge •

Mental: I think my Intelligence may have been 4 at one time, but I haven't been challenging myself lately and my brain is starting to get flabby. I still absorb data like a sponge, but my problem solving ability seems to be a little slower and no longer effortless. Now I have to actually think about things to figure them out. I wish my vice wasn't sloth. I keep meaning to go to the bookstore and pick up some books to refresh my skills but I keep putting it off because I just want to stay home when I get a day off. I used to speak French like a native but I haven't spoken it since 1992 (I no longer needed it in daily life after leaving France). I still understand it on the rare occasions when I hear it or read it, but I can no longer actively produce it. I think I've gained social ability in the same time that my mental ability degraded, but I'd really prefer to just gain abilities rather than trade.

Physical: I usually think of myself as too small and weak, but I'm actually rather muscular and I can lift a lot of weight. I guess I just have high standards because my father was a mountain of a man. I'm pretty solid and beefy so I can take a hit pretty well and I can climb mountains all day with 50kg on my back, but I only gave myself a Stamina of 2 because I don't have as much wind for aerobic activity as I used to. Stamina 2 is average and the average human can walk forever, so that's not too bad. When I get a little more free time, I'll get back to regular aerobic training and get back up to 3.

For the social attributes: I'm really easy going and I don't like to confront people. Nothing much bothers me and I go with the flow very easily which is good for keeping my cool and not getting stressed out by all the stuff I have to deal with. The downside is that I don't naturally project a lot of authority or command much respect because I'd rather be ignored most of the time. I have to actively work (and use skills) to be taken seriously and hold a group's attention.

Academics •••: I'm a professional university lecturer. I have a lot of education and now I'm working on the other side to do the educating.

Athletics 0: I'm familiar with many sports and I know the basic skills for them, but I never really developed good ball-handling fundamentals. I always played very sloppily and relied on tactics and teamwork to make up the difference.

Animal Ken 0: I've always had a dog and I can train dogs, but I don't think I have any special skill at it beyond the understanding of the psychology of reinforcement and punishment. Dogs have been domesticated for thousands of years, so I don't think they're hard to train. I doubt I could train a wild animal that didn't imprint on me at birth.

Computer •: I haven't kept up with the latest in IT stuff, but I'm not afraid to click on the "advanced" tab to change settings. If I have a problem, I can usually solve it or search for documentation on the internet to solve it. For anything that isn't automated (like "download and run this patch file"), I usually have to rely on my Intelligence to learn enough to solve the problem as it comes up.

Brawl ••: Years of regular kung fu and boxing with full contact sparring. Without full contact, I don't think you can really get past •. You might have •••• in theory, but you'll never be able to apply more than • in a real fight if you don't actually practice giving and taking real hits.

Empathy •: My "people skills" naturally suck, so I decided to adopt the Sherlock Holmes method. I studied psychology, method acting, and bluffing in gambling to learn how to actively recognize the visual cues that other people pick up subconsciously. The upside is that I turn it into a mental problem instead of a social problem so I've got a better pool. The downside is that I have to think about it and actively look for clues if I want to know how someone is feeling beyond the obvious things like "his face is red and he's screaming about wanting to kill someone so he must be angry".

Crafts ••: I come from a long line of farmers and workers. I put myself through college working as a carpenter, welder, millwright, industrial mechanic's assistant, and miner. I know more about concrete and masonry than I ever wanted to know (and more than most people are aware that there is to know). And I shovel well. I shovel very well.

Drive ••: I have a lot of experience with a broad range of vehicles on and off road: cars, trucks, snowmobiles, motorcycles, and dump trucks the size of small houses (when I worked in the mine). I figure a score of • would be equivalent to "I can drive a car in normal circumstances and I haven't had an accident in years", so this extra experience should be enough to bump me up to •• (I know enough to know that I'm not good enough to try the fancy maneuvers that people practice when they have •••).

Expression •••: I'm a decent lecturer and writer, but my social attributes suck: it's almost all skill. I've had many students tell me that they appreciate the effort I put into making boring topics seem interesting to them so they can learn and remember the material. Under my real name, I wrote a few books that won some awards. When I worked as a freelance writer for a publishing company, they usually gave other writers' work to me to rewrite and make it exciting and interesting. Even back in university when I took the mandatory writing class in my first year, I would write papers without doing adequate research (Sloth strikes again) but I got good marks anyway. One of my teachers told me that I would be a good minister of propaganda because I didn't support my arguments but I presented them so well that most people would never notice that they weren't supported.

Investigation •••: I used to do this professionally too. I was pretty good at it and very thorough. Sloth actually helped me here. Investigating in the field was fun so I would do it very thoroughly to avoid having to go back to the office and do all the boring paperwork that needs to be done when the fieldwork is finished.

Firearms •: I used to train with a rifle team and got scores around 92 to 95% with an old rifle with iron sights. The guy next to me was an Olympic shooter with a masterwork rifle who scored 99 or 100 every time. I haven't done it in a long time and I never trained with pistols so my skills have probably degraded to this level.

Intimidation 0: I'm just so easy going that no one takes me seriously when I try to be intimidating. There have been times when I intimidated people, but that was all due to circumstance bonuses rather than any skill on my part.

Medicine •: I know first aid, TCM for quickly healing sprains and bruises, and I can administer IV and IM injections (although I'm not comfortable doing it).

Larceny •: I used to have a thing for stage magic, so I practiced distraction and palming small objects to do tricks. The same principles apply to picking pockets. I also considered a career in locksmithing and trained in the basics of picking locks of different kinds. I still have the tools and once in a while I'll open a door when a friend gets locked out, but it's not something I keep up with.

Persuasion •: Much the same as Empathy, I learned a lot of basic psychology and sales techniques to make up for my natural lack of "puppy dog eyes".

Occult ••: Like most gamers, I have an intense interest in mythology and magic. I read voraciously on the subject and easily remember what I read. I also read critically and apply my Academics and Investigation skills, so I know the difference between ancient traditions that were researched and presented by the author and "ancient traditions" that were invented by the author. When I was in college, instead of doing useful studying, I used the big university library to look up and read the real "mythos tomes" that Lovecraft mentioned in his stories (e.g. "The Golden Bough" and "The Emerald Tablet"). If Cthulhu were real, I'd be short on a few SAN points.

Stealth •: A big part of my low Presence is the fact that I hate drawing attention to myself. I just can't help being quiet and staying out of the way. When I was a kid, my father taught me to walk quietly in the woods so animals wouldn't hear us and I've been stepping lightly ever since. I find loud speech and noisy footsteps to be crude and ungraceful. I'm constantly startling people. I hear "AHH! How long have you been there?" almost as often as I hear "Hello".

Socialize 0: I don't have any skill in being "likeable". I just try to avoid being rude and focus on being useful so people will like to have me around. I know a lot of entertaining jokes and interesting anecdotes, but I'm not very charming. I can have an interesting discussion about something, but I can't make small talk about nothing.

Politics 0: I know a lot about government processes, lawmaking, and famous politicians, but I don't really "get it". I could never succeed in a political position that I wasn't appointed to based on merit. I always want to treat people like rational actors, but the electorate rarely are. I know what "political capital" is but I really don't understand why it's necessary. There are too many things that are done just because that's the way they're done and not because they make any rational sense. I just can't wrap my head around that.

Survival ••: If you dropped me in the middle of nowhere, I'd die before Bear Grylls but I'd last longer than a lot of people. I've lived for several weeks in an old canvas tent in the New Mexico desert in summer, I've been outside for days in the northern Michigan winter (and slept in an igloo I made myself), and I've eaten things in the Mekong delta that most people wouldn't believe.

Streetwise •: Part of my investigation work involved talking to a lot of people in some fairly scary neighborhoods. I once met a man high on cocaine with high speed verbal diarrhea who told me more than I ever wanted to know about the many different varieties of cocaine and where to get it.

Science •••: Mostly chemistry and physics. I've done this professionally too. I worked with construction engineers. They'd do the math and tell me how strong they needed materials to be and I would check to see how strong their materials were and how much they needed to be improved if they weren't good enough. Figuring out how to maximize soil density for foundations, testing concrete and mortar strength, analyzing chemicals for use in asphalt roads, etc.

Weaponry ••: Years of regular kung fu practice with staff, broadsword, jian, flute, and daggers. I haven't mastered any of them. The staff is supposed to be the easiest to master, but for me the jian and flute came easier and seem more natural. I think the broadsword and jian techniques would apply equally well to a European arming sword or rapier but I doubt I'd do well at sports like fencing or kendo because I don't know the rules. I've known fencers and they talked about it a lot. It seems to me that using sport fencing techniques in a real fight would get you killed and using real sword-fighting techniques in a fencing match would get you disqualified or make you miss many opportunities to score points.

Subterfuge •: The same techniques I use for Empathy and Persuasion can be easily turned around to fake sincerity.

I have more than the standard starting points in my skills, but I don't think any of them are inflated. I'm just not a starting level character. I've had quite a lot of experience in various areas due to bizarre luck and the attitude to just go with it and take everything as an adventure. I've done and been a lot of things in my life, but I wouldn't say that I've achieved extraordinarily high levels in any of them even though I did very well at some of them. The higher you go, the harder it is to go higher and my vice is Sloth. When I hit ••• in something, I stop and think "that's good enough". I've known and worked with people that had a •••• in something, but that's usually all they had. They always seemed kind of one-dimensional to me.

It was really useful for their career to be really good at that one thing, but it seemed like they never switched off. Their "hobby" was reading about the latest research and developments in their field. I just can't focus that much: I need variety. So, while they (for example) do science for a living, spend their vacations going to professional science conferences, and spend their evening free time on writing articles for science journals, I'm doing science for a living, spending vacations traveling to another country to learn the local language and explore the local food and culture, and spending my free time to practice kung fu, learn guitar, or write novels.

Very well done!

Semidi
2010-07-31, 04:55 PM
Name: Joe Age: 21 Virtue: Charity Vice: Sloth
Morality: 8

Attributes
Intelligence ••• Strength •• Presence ••
Wits •• Dexterity ••• Manipulation ••
Resolve •• Stamina ••• Composure •••

Skills
Academics ••• Athletics • Animal Ken •
Computer •• Brawl • Empathy •
Occult • Stealth Socialize
Science • Weaponry Subterfuge •

Specialties:
Academics: Philosophy (Bachelors with some working experience),
Scholarly Writing (working experience), Literature (Bachelors).
Expression: Creative Writing

Basically, creating myself with standard creation rules. I couldn't justify the 11 points in one skill category.

Consider me amused at the amount of Olympian individuals who have enough time to keep up multiple fours in various categories. Shouldn't you guys be out curing cancer with your amazing capabilities (and hundred of XP on your sheet)?

Fax Celestis
2010-07-31, 05:21 PM
Consider me amused at the amount of Olympian individuals who have enough time to keep up multiple fours in various categories. Shouldn't you guys be out curing cancer with your amazing capabilities (and hundred of XP on your sheet)?

Not with Sloth as a vice. :smallamused:

cattoy
2010-07-31, 05:28 PM
I remember White Wolf was at GenCon (back when it was in Milwaukee) one year and they had a bunch of things where you could do some sort of test and find out what your stats were (using their system, obviously)

I think one of them was one of those swing the mallet, ring the bell devices, which their neighbors complained about and the convention staff made them stop...

Does anybody else remember that, or am I hallucinating?

Tengu_temp
2010-07-31, 09:12 PM
Let's give this a try. I'll probably overestimate myself, but not to the level some people did.

Attributes
Intelligence •••• Strength •• Presence ••
Wits ••• Dexterity •• Manipulation •••

Skills
Academics •• Athletics Animal Ken •
Computer ••• Brawl • Empathy ••
Crafts Drive Expression •
Investigation •• Firearms • Intimidation
Occult •• Stealth •• Socialize •
Science •• Weaponry Subterfuge ••

I don't know what the various virtues are supposed to represent in WoD, but my vice is definitely Sloth.

Gralamin
2010-07-31, 09:21 PM
I don't know what the various virtues are supposed to represent in WoD, but my vice is definitely Sloth.

Easiest is to look at how you would regain your willpower dots:

Charity is exemplified in making real sacrifices to others (time, possessions or energy, or life and limb) with no reward.

Faith represents the ability to forge meaning from chaos and tragedy. It's a very poor word to describe it, IMO.

Fortitude is withstanding overwhelming or tempting pressures to alter goals.

Hope is inspiring others, at risk to your own goals or wellbeing.

Justice is "doing the right thing" at risk of personal loss or setback.

Prudence is refusing a tempting offer which allows significant gain, and refusing may cost you later.

Temperance is resiting a temptation to indulge in an excess of any behavior, despite whatever rewards it has.

chiasaur11
2010-07-31, 09:23 PM
Fives in everything. Of course.

Never said anything about accurately statting yourself in the title.

Ozymandias9
2010-07-31, 09:29 PM
Attributes
Intelligence •••• Strength •• Presence ••
Wits • Dexterity • Manipulation ••
Resolve •• Stamina •• Composure ••••

Skills
Academics •••• Athletics • Animal Ken ••
Computer ••• Brawl Empathy
Crafts •• Drive • Expression •
Medicine ••• Larceny Persuasion •
Occult ••• Stealth Socialize
Politics ••• Survival • Streetwise
Science ••• Weaponry•• Subterfuge

I'm a bit torn on Medicine. Professional is probably too strong a word, as I'm by no means a physician. I do, however, have a (fairly dated) EMT certification and spent some years teaching advanced Red Cross Cert classes.

Xuc Xac
2010-08-01, 12:18 AM

I don't have any fours but I did help do some of the research on a new form of chemotherapy (a replacement for cisplatin with fewer side effects). I was just a cog in the machine. The people with Science 4 would say "Run an NMR spec on these samples" and I'd spend the day counting protons with a giant magnet and making a report. Then the Ph.D.s would look at the report and tell other people with science 2 or 3 "Hey, samples #17A and #23C look good. Try making some bigger batches of those and we'll see if they come out the same." Then they'd give the new batch of samples to me for more spectroscopy. I never really saw the whole picture and I didn't really care. The project was so big and the goal was so distant that it was practically "never" as far as I was concerned.

I left that project to focus on a different field of chemistry. I don't know if they ever came up with anything useful, but I know the head researcher died of cancer a few years later. They might still be working on that. Making treatments for cancer is a huge undertaking and actually curing it will probably require more than a few people with 5s in Science and Medicine. It's the kind of problem that takes very dedicated specialists and they've been working on the problem for generations.

Asking "If you're so smart, why don't you cure cancer?" makes as much sense as asking "If you're so tall, why can't you touch the moon?"

Psyx
2010-08-01, 05:38 AM
"I'm going to give it a try."

And more interesting to read that a bunch of dots it was, too.

My vice is sloth; so I wouldn't dare give myself more than about a dot of resolve!

I should be painting the guest bedroom right now...

Drascin
2010-08-01, 06:04 AM
Now, I don't know much WoD, and my only real contact with WW's systems is Exalted, so I don't know the exact meanings of the skills, but eyeballing their likely ones...

Attributes
Intelligence •• Strength •• Presence ••
Wits ••• Dexterity • Manipulation •
Resolve •• Stamina ••• Composure ••••

Skills
Computer ••• Brawl Empathy ••••
Occult ••• Stealth •• Socialize
Politics Survival • Streetwise

No Awareness/Perception/something in the statblock, though, which makes me sad, as that's easily my best skill - I'm almost paranoidly aware of my surroundings. I remember how in highschool, trying to sneak up on me became something of a community sport, to my annoyance :smalltongue:.

Tiki Snakes
2010-08-01, 11:21 AM
Now, I don't know much WoD, and my only real contact with WW's systems is Exalted, so I don't know the exact meanings of the skills, but eyeballing their likely ones...

Attributes
Intelligence •• Strength •• Presence ••
Wits ••• Dexterity • Manipulation •
Resolve •• Stamina ••• Composure ••••

Skills
Computer ••• Brawl Empathy ••••
Occult ••• Stealth •• Socialize
Politics Survival • Streetwise

No Awareness/Perception/something in the statblock, though, which makes me sad, as that's easily my best skill - I'm almost paranoidly aware of my surroundings. I remember how in highschool, trying to sneak up on me became something of a community sport, to my annoyance :smalltongue:.

Spot / Perception type rolls are usually handled by Wits + Composure I think, rather than ability + skill, so that actually fits pretty okay.

Kiero
2010-08-02, 06:19 AM
Since people are doing the justifying thing, why not.

I'd reckon something like this:

Attributes
Wits ••• Dexterity •••• Manipulation ••
Resolve •••• Stamina •••• Composure •••

Skills
Academics ••• Athletics •••• Animal Ken
Computer •• Brawl ••• Empathy ••
Crafts Drive •• Expression ••
Occult Stealth •• Socialize ••

Mental: I'm educated, I pick things up quick and can react on the fly. I have extreme personal discipline (eat well and exercise regularly with few breaks or stoppages for the past 15 years).

Physical: I'm a borderline elite athlete, been doing martial arts since I was 13 and gym since I was 16. Definitely stronger than average but I don't think quite at 4 dots (eg I did piggy-back shuttles with a 100kg guy on my back, can leg-press 2.5x my bodyweight). Dex and Sta in the "talented and trained" region (I picked up gymnastics and capoeira quickly, I can run three miles in under 21 minutes).

Social: I'm no wallflower and I'm assertive enough that people notice me. I work in a social-oriented job that involve managing other people. I don't think I generally work my powers of persuasion. I don't lose my cool easily, even in pressured situations.

Skills:
Academics: University-educated.
Computer: Use a computer all the time in work and at home, various applications.
Investigation: Practised with research.
Medicine: Done basic first aid, knowledge of the anatomy (especially sports-injury-related).
Politics: I work in a large organisation.
Science: Educated up to secondary school level.
Athletics: Good at individual and team sports, well co-ordinated and fit.
Brawl: Collectively 11 years of martial arts experience, covering karate, kung fu, Muay Thai, MMA and a little of capoeira, escrima, aikido and ju-jitsu.
Drive: 13 years of regular driving experience in a variety of conditions.
Stealth: I walk lightly and am practised at not being seen.
Survival: Know the basics of weathering the elements.
Weaponry: Done some weapon drills in escrima.
Empathy: I read people well.
Expression: Good at presenting ideas both in written and verbal format.
Persuasion: I can present arguments in a way people find persuasive.
Socialise: Comfortable in social situations, be they with strangers or friends.
Streetwise: I know how to avoid stupid mistakes.
Subterfuge: I can hide my motives when I try.

There's a lot of people who don't look after themselves here.

Coplantor
2010-08-03, 07:45 AM
I was wondering, does this system have some sort of specializaations? Bececause there are some skills in wich I suck but under particular uses of them i totally rock.