PDA

View Full Version : [3.5e] Spiked Chain Fighter

nulio
2010-07-19, 05:56 PM
Hi :smallsmile:

Inspired in this: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0216.html I want to make a spiked chain fighter :smallbiggrin:

One difference, a human one.

While defending lots of AoO, tripping, disarming and stuff.
Attacking, something agressive and fun.

As he gets more powerful I imagine him just whirling the spiked chain in combat gaining AC with and/or avoiding all attacks with AoO. Then multiple attacks :smallbiggrin:

I've read that there's a whirling in the MIC but haven't found it so far and a Kusari Gama.

What feats, Prestige Classes and/or items would you use?

Keld Denar
2010-07-19, 05:59 PM
For classes, etc, you'll want to go with some Crusader (Tome of Battle) or some PsyWar (XPH, also SRD) or both. Crusader gives you some cool options, including the amazing Thicket of Blades stance to become the ultimate roadblock. PsyWar gives you Expansion, a really neat power that allows you to make yourself REALLY big, as tripping is heavily influenced by the delta of your respective size catagories. The bigger you are, the harder THEY fall.

Prodan
2010-07-19, 06:03 PM
I love adding 3 levels of Knight to any lockdown build involving Crusaders.

herrhauptmann
2010-07-19, 07:19 PM
Drow of the underdark has Vae school feat:
Requires some sneak attack though. But if you do it, you get a free trip attempt once a round when you sneak attack.
Willing Deformity can boost your melee range.
Focus on tripping or disarming. Not that you can't take both, but it requires an extra feat. And unless you dip fighter 4 or so, you're going to be feat starved.
Then there's standstill, knockdown, and knockback feats
Jotunbrud: Does not grant you 'powerful build', just gets you the +4 bonus in opposed rolls IF that larger size is advantageous. Requires you to be human from a region of Faerun.
Later feats might include Adaptable/Vexing flanker. Only use them if you have intelligent allies.

Heck, here's a thread about my old chainwielding maniac.
It's not fully relevant to your idea though. This character was in a large non-optimized party, so he was eventually built as a second string fighter. Didn't really care about damage dealt, just that I was helping my allies get bonuses in melee. Letting the uberchargers get an extra 30 points of damage each on their charges was a far more effective tactic than just trying to boost my own damage.
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93094

And finally, skill tricks. Without them, if you fail your trip/disarm, you can either drop your weapon, or fall over but keep your weapon. In other words, the same position you were trying to put the enemies in, and they're not going to be nice about paying you back. With the right skill tricks, you can elect to fall over, then stand back up without provoking an AOO. Later you do it as a free action.