PDA

View Full Version : Morphing Horror 3.5 Base Class [PEACH]

Strudel110
2010-07-19, 06:57 PM
Morphing Horror
Background: Morphing horrors are a kind of natural shape shifter, with unnatural shapes. Instead of turning into something else, like most shape shifters, morphers change their own bodies for short amounts of time giving them dangerous attacks. Because of their morphing it's nigh impossible to wear armor or traditional clothing, this combined with a lack of weapon training can prove disastrous for a morpher. Most morphers feel uncomfortable in their own bodies, and their strange abilities can get them shunned or even labeled as a monster and hunted. A few societies that value unarmed combat or strength might accept their strangeness, churches or monasteries may also take them in out of kindness and may even accept them although some more paranoid sects would see them as demons to smite, rather than people.

Races: any
Role: Melee combatant
Alignment: any, usually chaotic
Weapon and Armor Proficiency:
A morphing horror is proficient with all simple weapons, and no armor.
Class Skills:The Morphing Horror’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Climb (Str), Spot (Wis), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Search (Int), Survival (Wis), and Swim (Str).

Skill Points at 1st Level
(4 + Int modifier) ×4.

Skill Points at Each Additional Level
4 + Int modifier.

Hit Die: d10.

{table=head]Level | Attack Bonus | FortSave | RefSave | WillSave |Special
1st|+1|+2|+0|+0| Morphing, Bone Spear Morph, Tough Hide
2nd|+2|+3|+0|+0|Beastly Maw Morph
3rd|+3|+3|+1|+1| Uncanny Dodge
4th|+4|+4|+1|+1|Amazing Organ
5th|+5|+4|+1|+1|Quick Change
6th|+6/+1|+5|+2|+2| Devastating Fist Morph
7th|+7/+2|+5|+2|+2| Improved Morph
8th|+8/+3|+6|+2|+2| Improved Uncanny Dodge
9th|+9/+4|+6|+3|+3|
10th|+10/+5|+7|+3|+3| Improved Organ
11th|+11/+6/+1|+7|+3|+3| Lightning Fast Change
12th|+12/+7/+2|+8|+4|+4| Improved Morph
13th|+13/+8/+3|+8|+4|+8|
14th|+14/+9/+4|+9|+4|+4| Improved Morph
15th|+15/+10/+5|+9|+5|+5|
16th|+16/+11/+6/+1|+10|+5|+5| Greater Organ
17th|+17/+12/+7/+2|+10|+5|+5| Greater Morph
18th|+18/+13/+8/+3|+11|+6|+6|
19th|+19/+14/+9/+4|+11|+6|+6| Greater Morph
20th|+20/+15/+10/+5|+12|+6|+6| True Self[/table]

Special Abilities and Feats
Morphing(ex): Morphing is a move action that temporarily grants the morpher amazing natural attacks. Morphing is a spell-like ability. A morpher can have not have multiple morphs on a single body part. A morpher cannot morph a body part covered by armor (unless the armor is enchanted to stretch and bend with the morpher) but can morph while wearing clothes. activating two morphs in a round is a full round action.

Bone Spear(ex):[Arm(s), leg, or chest] Bone spear is the easiest morph to use and sustain, creating a solid piercing spear of bone from an arm, leg, or ribs. Bone spear is a natural weapon with the following stats [1d6,Crit x3,piercing]
if morphed from an arm or leg it is a reach weapon but cannot attack adjacent foes, if morphed from the chest it is not a reach weapon. can be sustained for 1 round+1/2 morphing horror level.

Tough Hide(ex): Morphing horrors have a natural armor bonus equal to their class level.

Beastly Maw(ex): Beastly maw is a powerful morph that transforms the morphers arms into something akin to a huge serpentine head with poisonous fangs (the shape of the head could be any dangerous beast depending on preference) or changes their stomach into a gaping maw filled with razor-sharp teeth. If the morpher morphs their arms into a beastly maw they temporarily lose any attacks with their arms and gain [Bite 1d8+poison,Crit x2] the poison deals 1d6 strength damage and its DC is 10+1/2 morphing horror class level. If the stomach is morphed you have to either be grappling or being grappled to use it, while grappled or grappling you can use use the beastly maw to make an extra attack of opportunity with the
same stats as the attack above. It can be sustained for 1 round+1/2 morphing horror level(max 5 rounds).

[B]Uncanny Dodge (Ex)
At 3rd level, a morphing horror retains his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) even if he is caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. However, he still loses his Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized. If a morphing horror already has uncanny dodge from a different class, he automatically gains improved uncanny dodge instead.

Amazing Organ(ex):
at 4th level a morphing horror develops a special organ that they use to make devastating attacks.They ca use their organ to attack as full round action 1/day +1 per 5 levels (max 6/day). They can choose one organ from the following list:
[pyroclysm sac] when using this power the morpher's throat swells like a frogs and holds a swirling orange glow within, the morpher then releases an explosive blast from their mouths (directly in front of them it"s like a fireball just far enough away to not hit you) dealing 1d6 fire damage +1d6 for every 2 levels (max 8d6) in a 20ft radius.

[electric node] A small antennae(like an angler fish) sprouts from the morphers forehead it sparks occasionally and can fire a lightning bolt 60 ft dealing 1d6 electric damage +1d6 for every 2 levels of (max 8d6).

[corrosive bladder] The morpher's tongue becomes forked and has a small hole under it used to spit a stream of acid 60 ft, dealing 2d4 acid damage, for every three levels (max 6 rounds), the acid, unless somehow neutralized, lasts for another round, dealing another 2d4 points of damage in that round.

[frost sac] The morpher's eyes turn yellow and their hair becomes white and shaggy and they gain the ability to breath a cone of frost dealing 1d6 frost damage +1d6 for every 2 levels (max 8d6) in a 20ft cone.

Quick Change(ex): at 5th level morphing once in a round becomes a swift action, twice a standard, and three times a full round.

Improved Uncanny Dodge (Ex)
At 8th level and higher, a morphing horror can no longer be flanked. This defense denies a rogue the ability to sneak attack the morpher by flanking him, unless the attacker has at least four more rogue levels than the target has morpher levels. If a character already has uncanny dodge from a second class, the character automatically gains improved uncanny dodge instead, and the levels from the classes that grant uncanny dodge stack to determine the minimum level a rogue must be to flank the character.

Devastating Fist(ex):[one arm] This morph turns the morpher's fist into a destructive force to be reckoned with, knocking foes away with ease. On a successful hit th enemy must make an opposed strength check with a -4 penalty or be bull rushed. Devastating fist is as follows [1d10,Crit x2,Bludgeoning]. It lasts only 1 round.

Improved Organ(ex): At 10th level the morpher gains attributes according to their amazing organ type as follows:
[pyroclysm sac] The morpher become hot(1d6 points of fire damage if grappling) and turns red when using their organ or when angry, they can now imbue their natural attacks with 1d6 ponts of fire damage.

[electric node] The morpher now has webbed hands and feet (swim speed 40), they can now imbue their natural attacks with 1d6 ponts of electric damage.

[corrosive bladder] The morpher's skin is tough (natural armor +1), they can now imbue their natural attacks with 1d4 points of acid damage + 1d4 every round for 2 rounds.

[frost sac] The morpher has patches of fur on their arms chest and legs (unaffected by cold weather 2 points of resistance to cold damage), they can now imbue their natural attacks with 1d6 ponts of frost damage.

Lightning Fast Change(ex): At 11th level morphing once in a round is a free action, twice a swift, three times a move, and four a full round.

Improved Morph(ex): At 12th and 14th level a morpher becomes adept at manipulating their body in new or better ways, and may gain an improved version of an existing morph or gain another one. See Improved Morph List.

Greater Organ(ex):At 16th level the morpher gains attributes according to their Improved organ type as follows:
[pyroclysm sac] The morpher can now choose to breathe a 40 ft line of flame instead of a blast, their natural attacks now function as flaming burst weapons

[electric node] The morpher can now fire a lightning bolt 120 feet and arc it to three enemies (who take half damage), their natural attacks now function as shocking burst weapons

[corrosive bladder] The morpher can now choose to spit a ball of acid 40 ft instead of a stream it deals 1d4 splash damage to enemies adjacent to the target for 1 round + 1 for every three levels, the morpher can add this splash to their natural weapons (they are immune to their own acid).

[frost sac] The morpher can now choose to breathe a 40 ft line of ice instead of a cone, their natural attacks now function as icy burst weapons

Greater Morph(ex):At 12th and 14th level a morpher becomes a master at manipulating their body in new and amazing ways, and may gain a greater version of an existing morph or gain another one. See Greater Morph List.

True Self(ex): At 20th level a morpher has attained a powerful natural form even when not morphing. A morphing horror's true self is different depending on their amazing organs.
[pyroclysm sac] Gains fire subtype, Natural weapons gain the speed attribute but with half of your highest attack bonus.

[electric node] Gains water subtype (swim speed 60 ft) eel-like skin, fin on head, gills on chest, and can breathe a puff of poison from gills on adjacent foes dealing 2d6 con damage with a DC of 23, immune to electricity.

[corrosive bladder] Gains +5 natural armor, a 1d8 tail slap, and acid immunity

[frost sac] Gains cold subtype, and moderate fortification. Looks bestial and may have a tail or claws

Improved Morphs:
Improved Bone Spear: Damage becomes 1d8, can attack as though you have monks flurry ability
Improved Beastly Maw:+1d6 poison (choose an attribute), can be used as a reach weapon
Improved Devastating Fist: functions as though you have great cleave
Winged: Gains fly(poor) 40 ft, lasts for 1 round per 2 levels
Chitinous: +2 natural armor, lasts for 1 round per 2 levels

Greater Morphs: Improved versions are a prerequisite
Greater Bone Spear: Can attack as though you had greater flurry,
Greater Beastly Maw: can morph each arm into a beastly maw, two weapon fighting rules apply
Greater Devastating Fist: can be used to make a whirlwind attack
Improved Wings: Gains fly(good) 60 ft, lasts for 1 round per 2 levels
Improved Chitin: +4 natural armor, lasts for 1 round per 2 levels

work in progress

Strudel110
2010-07-19, 07:59 PM
Tada! Color-coded for your conveniance feel free to add input as its still a little rough and probably overpowered.

DaragosKitsune
2010-07-19, 08:39 PM
Was this based on Alex Mercer from Prototype?
Other than that, the class seems fairly well balanced. My only problem is that the wording on some of the abilities is somewhat confusing. For example, the only amazing organ I understood the range for was the frost sac.

Bhu
2010-07-19, 09:17 PM
I've yet to peruse this for balance, but he idea is something I definitely like so far.

Strudel110
2010-07-19, 09:20 PM
Other than that, the class seems fairly well balanced. My only problem is that the wording on some of the abilities is somewhat confusing. For example, the only amazing organ I understood the range for was the frost sac.
Ok I made the pyroclasm a little clearer but the other ones have ranges which I will bold.

Strudel110
2010-07-19, 09:24 PM
I've yet to peruse this for balance, but he idea is something I definitely like so far.

Thanks! I hope its somewhat balanced, I was a little tired while making it.

Bhu
2010-07-19, 09:27 PM
Don't feel bad it's usually 3 am when I do a lot of my stuff. Kudos on the class.

Strudel110
2010-07-19, 09:33 PM
Oh I forgot to answer your question. The answer is no but he's a pretty good example.

Don't feel bad it's usually 3 am when I do a lot of my stuff. Kudos on the class.

It seems like every time I get a good idea my brain is running on empty, luckily the nice folks in the playground catch most of my mistakes.

Strudel110
2010-07-20, 12:24 AM
Ughh only three posts and no one said much :[

DaragosKitsune
2010-07-20, 09:58 PM
Let me be more clear about why I don't understand the ranges.
Is the lightning bolt from electric node single or multi-target? What about the stream of acid from corrosive bladder? The distinction is important. Later abilities imply that the lightning bolt is a single target attack but do you have to hit the closest enemy in the targeted direction or can the bolt go over and hit a further back enemy.

Strudel110
2010-07-21, 02:43 AM
Let me be more clear about why I don't understand the ranges.
Is the lightning bolt from electric node single or multi-target? What about the stream of acid from corrosive bladder? The distinction is important. Later abilities imply that the lightning bolt is a single target attack but do you have to hit the closest enemy in the targeted direction or can the bolt go over and hit a further back enemy.

Oh OK, they are both single target, and the bolt will go over things provided it is actually possible to hit your intended target.

DaragosKitsune
2010-07-21, 04:35 AM
So no shooting through walls, but yes shooting over chest high walls?

Strudel110
2010-07-21, 02:23 PM
So no shooting through walls, but yes shooting over chest high walls?

Exactly. So...any nits to pick?

arguskos
2010-07-23, 12:02 AM
Ok. Scanned it over. I'd bone-dead tired, but, the first that struck me is that you're gonna die a lot. You can't use shields or armor, you have only one good save, and you've got a d10 HD. The class has no defensive abilities at all. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, just something I felt I should mention.

Also, the ENTIRE class is shut down by a single anti-magic field. That's... eh. I'm not a fan.

The way you worded Morphing implies you can only have one active morph at a time, but then you said you can morph two+ at a time. I know your intent (each body part=one thing), but you might want to clear up the wording.

Balance-wise, it looks fine. Probably not on par with an optimized fighter, I'd call it Tier 4 at best. It's got few options, lives for damage, and is basically the definition of glass cannon. This isn't really a terrible thing, but it's something ya should know about.

Sorry I'm not more helpful, but I'm so tired. :smallsigh:

Bhu
2010-07-23, 12:24 AM
Does AMF shut ti down? It doesnt say if the morphs are SU or Ex (Im also tired so I could be missing stuff). Defensively you could just add some armor/dodge/regen morphs

arguskos
2010-07-23, 12:27 AM
Does AMF shut ti down? It doesnt say if the morphs are SU or Ex (Im also tired so I could be missing stuff). Defensively you could just add some armor/dodge/regen morphs
They're spell-like abilities. It says under the Morphing ability.

Bhu
2010-07-23, 12:37 AM
He could just make them Ex to avoid the AMF nerf

Strudel110
2010-07-23, 02:49 AM
I think I will I don't know why I put sla. Ok just dropped that Ex on everything so sleepy... may need better saves, or something else that gives natural armor.

Strudel110
2010-07-23, 11:56 AM
Ok. Scanned it over. I'd bone-dead tired, but, the first that struck me is that you're gonna die a lot. You can't use shields or armor, you have only one good save, and you've got a d10 HD. The class has no defensive abilities at all. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, just something I felt I should mention.

Also, the ENTIRE class is shut down by a single anti-magic field. That's... eh. I'm not a fan.

The way you worded Morphing implies you can only have one active morph at a time, but then you said you can morph two+ at a time. I know your intent (each body part=one thing), but you might want to clear up the wording.

Balance-wise, it looks fine. Probably not on par with an optimized fighter, I'd call it Tier 4 at best. It's got few options, lives for damage, and is basically the definition of glass cannon. This isn't really a terrible thing, but it's something ya should know about.

Sorry I'm not more helpful, but I'm so tired. :smallsigh:

Pretty helpful do you think d12, and a good reflex save would be more appropriate for a class so focused on combat? Lack of armor is pretty harmful, but wearing armor limits your attacks. I'll see if I can clear up morphing a bit

DaragosKitsune
2010-07-24, 02:51 AM
Perhaps some form of Exoskeleton morph. It could be a torso morph that provides a natural armor bonus.

Bhu
2010-07-25, 11:33 PM
How about it just has a Natural Armor Bonus equal to it's Morpher class level?

Strudel110
2010-07-26, 12:14 PM
Ok that'll work i'll add it now. Updated, thanks Bhu!