PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about doing a LARP...

drawingfreak
2010-07-19, 10:01 PM
Yeah. Just wanted some advice on the basics:
What systems are available?
What genre/setting would be preferable?
What type of story?

I personally have played in only science fiction/sci-fi horror LARPs. All but one was based on Fading Suns. The other was more Lovecraft-ian in nature. We were killed by the color red.

Settings we all enjoy range from fantasy-pirate to Joss Whedon's Firefly. We are quite diverse.

On the table, my friends tend to prefer combat, mostly due to the strategy in my opinion. However, they incorporate it with intense roleplaying. Nothing is out of character.

Most of them have military background of some sort so squad based games have always been interesting. They also like the idea of being leaders or manipulators, depending on the player.

I think what would work great is a nobility type game where they play nobles of different lands coming together to discuss things at court. In between games they could do something strategy oriented through email such as managing resources, armies, spies, etc. I think the goal should be the Throne. The King may be dying without an heir or something.

I would prefer that the game be set indoors. There is a lack of large property owners within the group and we don't have the time or money to gather at parks or campgrounds. Also, no boffer games. Combat will be turn based. Just a preference.

Ideas? Hints? Bacon?
------------------------------------
EDIT

I wasn't clear on one important piece of information: This will be something I will run with my friends. I'm not looking for a group or anything.

Maerok
2010-07-19, 10:29 PM
I think this is going to depend on your area or how far out you are willing to drive. There are a lot of regional LARPs (I'd like to get in on that Fallout LARP but it was in Russia, IIRC...) and if you can't find one, maybe you could go through with making your own. However, running one seems like it can be a very large expenditure of time, possibly money, and inevitable drama. But then again what isn't?

I'm involved - on and off - with one combative LARP up in New England, for instance. If there are local universities where like-minded people may have already gotten something going then you could start looking around there.

I think that if you look hard enough and may be willing to travel somewhat, you can find whatever combination of themes and styles you might be looking for.

Bacon.

Natael
2010-07-19, 11:18 PM
I know of a really awesome LARP GM in the bay area, he run a bunch of random stuff he's personally made. Much of it is rather role-play heavy, with maybe some combat in it. Usually based in the 20th century at some point.

Otherwise, couldent tell you a specific system, as I've not worked with any other than "gm fiat"