PDA

View Full Version : Google Wave for PbP?

Maerok
2010-07-19, 10:02 PM
I've started poking around with Google Wave and a review on Boing Boing (http://boingboing.net/2009/10/28/google-wave-as-an-rp.html) mentions that it has found a bit of use among certain types of tabletops. It looks like it could still use a dice roller but there are development tools to produce such widgets later on.

Has anyone done anything with Google Wave as far as roleplaying? I might try to start up a game on there and see how it goes.

(By my count I have 75 invites so it wouldn't be a problem to extend them to players.)

aivanther
2010-07-19, 10:48 PM
I've heard the idea floated before, and think it would be cool, but haven't actually seen it done.

Swordgleam
2010-07-19, 10:53 PM
There's a lot of people gaming on wave right now, and at least a few dice roller widgets. I've heard good things.

Gralamin
2010-07-19, 10:54 PM
The main problem is that as a wave gets larger, it becomes laggier. So after a certain amount of time, you would need to switch to a new wave. In addition you probably would want some sort of widget that acts as a map, which more then one player can edit.

Maerok
2010-07-19, 11:18 PM
I've found a dice roller, but I might end up using this for more diceless systems.

And the lag issue is something I would have expected. All that extra stuff should add some kind of overhead to it.

Nightson
2010-07-20, 12:25 AM
Inline replies really help with keeping things organized, by breaking the scenes up with them you can collapse the older sections.

Math_Mage
2010-07-20, 12:31 AM
Lagging has been a serious problem for my Google Wave group. If I could get them all to play on this forum, I would.

Maerok
2010-07-20, 12:51 AM
I wouldn't initially try to run the game live, but more like the forums here. It's got a bit more customization and the whole flow of it may help to keep people's attention.

Jokasti
2010-07-20, 01:37 AM
I was in one of the groups that tested it for GiantitP, and it was great, but didn't update often because people had to log into another site to use it. Great tool, woefully underutilized, but if you play a game on it, expect it to update slowly unless more than one person is on at the same time.

Ponce
2010-07-20, 01:58 AM
I tried it a few times. Didn't find it particularly useful for PbP. Livestreams, webhosting, irc, and things like MapTools I find much more intuitive, personally. Plus I had to get my players on board with it, and getting people to try new things is a chore!

Maerok
2010-07-20, 02:14 AM
Ultimately, I'd like to get a persistent Nobilis game going.

The Rose Dragon
2010-07-20, 06:48 AM
I've heard that if you use Chrome, most of the issues disappear.

I've never tried it myself, as Chrome is woefully unpolished on Macs.

Coplantor
2010-07-20, 08:29 AM
I played through Wave, it was all good untill the campaign was dissolved due to a lot of players dropping. I would repeat the experience though since I'm almost always logged on wave.