PDA

View Full Version : Your Best Villain

Ponderthought
2010-07-20, 12:07 AM
I love interesting villains. They really make or break a story or campaign. So ive got the itch to ask: Whats the best (or favorite) villain youve ever come up with?

Ill start with a simple one, the villain for the current campaign im writing up. He dosent even have a name yet, but hes smart enough to make a deal with the metaphorical devil, and come out on top. Magic bullets indeed.

afroakuma
2010-07-20, 12:30 AM
I make villains rather consistently; nine of them are linked to via my sig. Hard to say which is my favorite, though, as they all most of them have their merits.

gallagher
2010-07-20, 12:37 AM
i like the classic overbearing zealous anti magic "paladin" that is really an incredibly powerful cleric.

other than that, i like an optimized rogue, who you cannot find, he finds you

afroakuma
2010-07-20, 12:42 AM
other than that, i like an optimized rogue, who you cannot find, he finds you

I did a nasty one of those: an ogre-mage ninja, of all things. Innate powers plus a super-long-range Con-damaging bow plus Void Palm made for a surprisingly effective unseen assailant.

0Megabyte
2010-07-20, 12:49 AM
My favorite would be the one I'm still working on. (trying to make a battle that can actually be beaten. But I also don't want to underestimate a 20th level party, either...)

The "god" of his world, he created the plane through Genesis over 7,000 years ago, and has been steadily adding to it since then. However, throughout all this time he has become enmeshed in the fabric of the demiplane himself, and has long-since ceased being entirely... human.

In fact, after all these long years of manipulating everything down to the very weather to allow human survival after the original world was destroyed, he has found himself at his limit. Even in his inhuman form, he cannot hold off Entropy forever, so he has decided to recreate the world from the ground up, in a more sustainable manner.

But this would require killing off every living being in his world. Sure, he might (might!) be able to create new ones with the sheer accumulated magical energy of bringing the plane back down to zero... but everyone would die.

Enter the heroes.

The part I will be most proud of when it's done will be the battle itself.

As he's not human anymore, he's become part of the entire fabric of the world. He's something beyond.

And to fight him, you must go through 12 separate "forms" of him, culminating in his true, 13th form.

The normal forms will each have its own schtick, like calling for a party of allies, a mirror match where the party must fight copies of themselves, an arcane version where no arcane magic will work except his, and on with divine and psionic, etc. A fighting type, some sort of negative energy necromantic sort, even a "peasant" type that won't even fight.

Each of these has two actions per turn to play with, to help a bit with the action economy.

The final, 13th form will be much more powerful. His only ability is something I'd call "unlimited wish." A spell that has a time of 1 standard action, and can emulate any spell, maneuver, power or class ability of 20th level or below. No epic. To use metamagic feats on an ability, he must use up one of his standard actions. (Or possibly more, if the metamagic uses too many levels.)

However, he'd have as many actions in a round as there were PCs, one after each of their actions.

Further, you couldn't harm him. Unless you find the weakness to his defense field, either an elemental weakness or something else, such as slashing or cold iron. Once that shield has been taken down to 0 hitpoints, the PC's would break the shield, leaving them one full turn (until after the next turn of the PC who broke the shield) until it regenerated, with a new weakness.

As you can imagine, I'm going to be working a long time in balancing this encounter and figuring out how it will best challenge the heroes while giving them a chance to win. Possibly things like "defeating 6 of the forms regenerates your spells, hp, etc for the day" or whatever. I want it to be winnable, but incredibly tense. I want them to feel like they're on the precipice of defeat for the entire battle. But I want it to be possible. Even if that just means nerfing his tactics. After all, he's been cloistered in his hole for a long time... maybe he's disoriented. Maybe he can BE disoriented.

Darth Stabber
2010-07-20, 12:49 AM
Darth Murdas for Starwars Saga Edition. He is a Miraluka Sith Lord, with a penchant for dueling. He has yet to be defeated by a party, and is one of the best examples of optimization I have built myself. I built him on the same point buy that I make available to my players and only utilized the core book and the kotor book, and I have yet to build another character that can beat him (except a droid). I will probably use him in the current game I am running as none of them has been exposed to him yet, but I can't say that for certain. His followers Darth Savagus (giant catlike monster sith lord) and Darth Ragga (hutt sith lord) have proven to be fair challenges to the adventurers that I have put before them.

In D&D my best going villian is an illithid elderbrain who delights in dominating fighter types into killing the wizard and leaving the rest to run away or TPK. Rhyme not intentional but appreciated.

Masaioh
2010-07-20, 12:52 AM
A Far Realm-warped Levistus, now freed from his ice cube, disguised as a humble Eladrin. He is responsible for taking a utopia and turning it into Fallout, DnD edition in a matter of hours. 200 years later, no plant life is found on 90%+ of the world's landmass. My group hates Eladrin (Eladrins?) now.

Ponderthought
2010-07-20, 12:57 AM
In D&D my best going villian is an illithid elderbrain who delights in dominating fighter types into killing the wizard and leaving the rest to run away or TPK. Rhyme not intentional but appreciated.

or some reason gravemind comes to..mind. He should speak in pentameter.

Another favorite of mine is an oriental adventures mastermind. He manipulated the emperor into madness and death, witch the PC's witnessed. then he took his place and all the pcs expected an undead emperor. instead they got a gigantic tiger shaped spirit of conflict, bent of making humanity destroy its self. the reveal was fantastic.

stenver
2010-07-20, 12:58 AM
Best villains are the ones who used to be your closest friends.. until you got a whole alot different view on some things.. different enough to go for each others necks

Starscream
2010-07-20, 01:06 AM
Wrote about him once before:

Probably Taerin, the Blackguard. Very long explanation in the spoilers.

I wanted to do a blackguard who actually had a reason for his actions, rather than simply "cuz I'm evil, lol".

So the first few times the players encountered Taerin he was just about the best paladin you could ever hope to meet. Possibly a bit more lawful than good, but way nicer than Miko, and a great guy to have on your team. His loyalty to the god he served (Heironeous) was indisputable.

My goal was to do a sort of Arthas meets Vader origin for him, and have the PCs be right in the middle of it. The players are on the trail of a Frost Giant Jarl and come across a village he had recently attacked. They are thrilled when their old buddy Taerin shows up along with the other paladins who serve under him, hunting the same giant. Perfect chance for a team up!

Taerin explains that this is no mere brute they are facing; the frost giant fully intends to sacrifice the people of the village in a vile rite that will give him incredible power. He's already made off with a few; they can either choose to pursue him and hope to rescue his captives before they are destroyed, or stay here and guard the village for when he inevitably comes back for the rest (he needs pretty much all of them, so the captives are theoretically safe for now).

But even though he's an NPC, Taerin likes to think of himself as in charge. After a bit of divination magic reveals to him that the village will "definitely be better off" if they pursue, he insists and the unsure PCs grudgingly agree to go along with him. Even though he has family who lives here, the paladin is certain that trusting the divination is the best course. After all, it is a message from the gods, and his faith is unshakable. He even leaves the rest of his allies here to protect the village. What could go wrong?

Everything. Seems some of Taerin's information was bad, because as they battle their way to the giant's stronghold the party keeps coming across the dismembered remains of the captives. At each site, there is also a message mocking and deriding Taerin for his trust in Heironeous. The paladin grows increasingly furious and vengeful. The PCs are bright enough to call foul. If he wasn't saving them to sacrifice all at once, what is the Jarl's plan? They want to go back, but Taerin will hear none of it. He's going onward, and the PCs eventually decide that they can't just let him get himself killed.

They make it, they beat the giant, they capture him alive. While trying to interrogate him, all the frost giant does is insinuate that the masters he serves don't really care about the village at all, but are after Taerin himself. He also says that the village is doomed, and the heroes have accomplished nothing. In a rage, Taerin smites the giant, who's last act is to smile and say "Welcome".

They race back to the village, to find it in cinders, attacked by a tribe of gnolls. Everyone is dead, save the other paladins who have been locked in cages to mock them. Taerin has the party sorcerer cast Contact Other Plane and demand an explanation. How could the previous divination have been wrong? Answer: it wasn't. If the party hadn't stopped the giant, he would have ended up sacrificing the village people. Better that they simply be killed than have their souls destroyed by the sacrificial rite. As they were good or neutral aligned, they are now content in their various afterlives. Upon dying the giant came back as a powerful devil. It was this devil that led the attack on the village.

The giant had actually been a servitor of the Abyss, and had hoped to become a Demon by performing the sacrifice. The devils had approached him offering him an alternative; If he failed and was killed he could become a devil instead, so long as he arranged it so that the paladin was the one to kill him. Seeing a chance at immortality either way, the giant decided it was win/win and agreed.

Taerin is infuriated by this, and feels betrayed. He also blames the PCs for their part in events, even though they wanted to head back. He executes his paladins for failing to save the village before the PCs can stop him, falling from grace in the process. They arrest him, and hope it's the last they ever see of him.

It isn't. Even though he is stripped of his paladin powers, Taerin buys a Plane Shift and heads off to the Nine Hells, to destroy the Jarl/Devil. Instead of resistance, he finds that the forces of Hell welcome him with open arms, and present him with the Jarl/Devil's head (seems he didn't read the fine print in his contract).

Then they allow him to peruse a copy the Pact Primeval, and learn how the battle between good and evil truly began. He reads it, and is shocked to learn how shabbily the devils were treated by the gods they once served. Created to do nothing but battle the forces of chaos, they were cast out and betrayed for the evil deeds that were necessary to complete this task. Even after their betrayal they have continued to wage the Blood War, performing this function because it is their Duty, and they believe in Law. Sure, they tempt mortals to evil, but everyone has a choice, don't they? And all the while the Gods sit atop their clouds, reaping the benefits of the Blood War without having to get their hands dirty. Jerks.

Taerin sympathizes with the devils, and decides that they have the right idea. He too sacrificed everything in the name of his duty, and was punished when he did what he felt was necessary. He feels that for true justice to exist, the gods must be toppled from their thrones, and the universe remade with Pure Law being the defining force. And he's just the guy to do it.

And so Taerin the Blackguard is born. He serves the forces of Law and Evil with a zeal worthy of a paladin. He has no problem with killing innocents now; after all, if they were "good" they get to spend eternity in a celestial petting zoo. If they weren't then they simply get what's coming. As prideful and self-righteous as ever, he will never accept that the devils are using him (like Vader he thinks he can overthrow them as soon as they win), or that there is another side to the story. And the gods (all gods, he even hates lawful evil ones) are too soft and decadent to understand true justice. He will make them understand.
As a villain, the PCs loathed him. They were furious with him, and every one of them personally wanted to be the one to take him down. I got some of the best roleplaying ever from these guys because it was personal. They really liked him as an ally, and utterly despised what he had become, and would stop at nothing to thwart his evil schemes.

So as you can imagine, I got a lot of mileage out of this guy.

Darth Stabber
2010-07-20, 01:12 AM
I'm thinking about turning the PC's Madalorian ally into a villain should they continue to act horribly enough (ie, just good enough to avoid obvious darkside points, just bad enough to make every one they meet not want to be any where near them)

Uin
2010-07-20, 06:34 AM
Introducing Steph Cosgrove, adopted daughter of the party's original mentor. After claiming part of the mentor's estate in his will and party continually pissed her off into villainhood and pushed her to ally with Sharn's unsavoury underworld. During the campaign finale, said party lured her with a business deal into an ambush. Their surprise round was poorly executed allowing Steph, in her death throes, to collapse the kilometer high tower they were battling in for a cliffhanger ending.

Our party (//where players yoinked abilities from another class gestalt style for turning up for a more sessions):
Half-Orc Cleric9//Barbarian1
Kobald Sorcerer9
Half-Giant Psychic Warrior9//Scout1 (LA0 modded Half-Giant)
Human Druid9//Barbarian1
Whisper Gnome Swordsage9

Steph Cosgrove:

Steph Cosgrove
Female Changeling Wizard 12//Rogue 2
CN Medium Humanoid (Shapechanger)
Init +8; Sense Regular; Action Points 3
Languages Common, Giant, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Gnome, Orc
-------------------------------------
AC 23 Touch 17 FF 19
(10 + 4Dex + 3Nat + 3Deflect + 3Armour)
HP 76
Resist Evasion
Fort 10 Ref 12 Will 11 (+2 charm/sleep)
Speed 30ft
Melee +6
Ranged +10 RTA
Base +6; Grp +6

Special Abilities
Abrupt Jaunt (Immediate Port 10ft)
Minor Shapechange
+1d6 Sneak Attack
Abilities
Str10 Con16 Dex18 Int23 Wis10 Cha10

Spells CL 12 DC 16+level (Spec Conj; Ban Evoc, Enchant)
0 4+1 Detect Magic, Ghost Sound, Mage Hand, Read Magic (Acid Splash)
1 6+1 Detect Dragonmark, Hail of Stone, Lesser Orb of Electricity, Nerve Skitter, Mask Dragonmark, Silent Image (Grease)
2 6+1 Invisibility, Lesser Orb of Fire(Inv), Ray of Retaliation, Resist Energy, Shield(Ext), Summon Swarm(Inv) (Glitterdust)
3 5+1 Arcane Sight, Dispel Magic, Haste, Mestil's Acid Breath, Vampiric Touch (Stinking Cloud)
4 4+1 Dimension Door, Enervation, Greater Mirror Image, Orb of Cold (Black Tentacles)
5 4+1 Silent Image(Qui), Overland Flight, Teleport, Vitriolic Sphere (Wall of Stone[Inv])
6 3+1 Disintegrate, Flesh to Stone, Greater Dispel Magic (Acid Fog)

Feats
1 3 5 6 9 10 12
Improved Initiative, Quick Change, Extend Spell(B), Craft(Wonderous), Quicken Spell, Invisible Spell(B), Aberrant Dragonmark(DSDoors)
Skills
Bluff12, Disguise10, Concentration18, Intimidate2, Know(Arcana)21, Know(Local)21, Sense Motive12, Spellcraft21, UMD7
Items
Tiara of Intellect +4, Gloves of Dexterity +4, Pink Ioun Stone +2, Bracers of Armour +3, Ring of Protection +3, Amulet of Natural Armour +3, Cloak of Resistance +3, Glamoured Robe of Useful Items, Ring of Sustenance, Slippers of Spider Climb, Belt of Storing (2 slots)
Consumables
Gold Leafed Ace of Spades, 2xPotion of Cure Critical (4d8+7), Wand of Shadow Conjuration, Manifest Sizing Rod, Throwing Gem of Greater Shout
And her business assistants:

Aberrant Dragonmark Hench 1 (Lita, sister of Lars)
Human Scout 5/Aberrant Dragonmark Heir 4
CN Medium Humanoid (Human)
Init +9; Action Points 1
-----------------------
AC 24 Touch 15 FF 20
HP 66 (14 temp)
Resist
Fort 8 Ref 13 Will 6
-----------------------
Speed 50ft
Shortsword +11 (1d6+2)
Shortbow +11 (1d6+2, +1d6 fire)
RTA +10

Scout Abilities
Skirmish (+2d6/+1)
Trapfinding
Battle Fortitude
Uncanny Dodge
Trackless Step
Bonus Feat (1)
Evasion

Spell-Like Abilities (CL 9)
Least - Produce Flame (3/day), Shield (2/day)
Lesser - False Life (3/day), Scorching Ray (2/day)
Greater - Fire Shield (2/day)

str12 con14 dex18 int10 wis12 cha 10
Feats
1(1) 3 4 6 9
Aberrant Dragonmark (Least, Lesser, Greater), Improved Initiative, Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Weapon Finesse, Quickdraw
Items
+1 Black Leather, +1 Shortsword, +1 Flaming Composite Shortbow, Ever-full Quiver, Ring of Protection +1, Ring of Resistance +1, Boots of Striding and Springing, Dust of Gust (DC 15 Prone plus 1d6x10ft move)

Aberrant Dragonmark Hench 2 (Henrick)
Dwarf Warlock 5/Aberrant Dragonmark Heir 4
CN Medium Humanoid (Dwarf)
Init +6; Action Points 1
------------------------
AC 21 Touch 13 FF 18
HP 69
Resist 1/Coldiron
Fort 8 Ref 8 Will 8
------------------------
Speed 20ft
RTA +8

Warlock Abilities (CL 5)
Eldritch Blast (3d6, DC 15 Sicken)
Baneful Utterance, Detect Magic, Entropic Warding, Spider Climb
DR 1/Coldiron
Decieve Item

Spell-Like Abilities (CL 9)
Least - Feather Fall (4/day)
Lesser - Dispel Magic (3/day)
Greater - Cloudkill (1/day)

str 10 con 16 dex 16 int 14 wis 10 cha 12
Feats
1 3 6 9
Aberrant Dragonmark (Least, Lesser, Greater), Improved Initiative, Ability Focus (Blast), Extra Invocation
Items
+1 Black Studded Leather, +1 Poisoned Dagger, Cloak of Charisma +2, Amulet of Proof v Detection, Headband of Languages, Wand of Invisibility

Aotrs Commander
2010-07-20, 07:20 AM

Very nice. Sound like he was definately a good antagonist.

Personally, I don't tend to have many recurring villains. Most of the bad guys the PCs face tend to be killed in short order. There are certainly the top-end movers and shakers at the very top (way above the PCs); but I'm not sure they count as "villains" per say.

I think, of those recurring villains that I have had, one of my favourites was Durath, a Goblin unique Undead somewhere between wraith and ghost. A fighter/sorcerer, he'd been trapped for thousands of years until one set of PCs released him. He'd have gone mad, but he'd found away to scry out into the wolrd above. Once released, he eagerly joined the forces of evil, as it gave him the most opportunities to have fun and get into a good fight. He saw the next group of PCs as a valable challenge, and has crossed paths with them a couple of times. They "destroyed" him twice, but they can't seem to permenantly get shot of him (he just keep rejuvenating). When (maybe even if, though my players might cry if I admit that...) I get back to that campaign, I still have plans for him. Durath was fun because he was positively cheerfully evil; a bit of a swashbuckler, really. (Terribly under-optimised, I must admit, but this was my first 3.0 campaign originally, before I'd even heard of the WotC forums, let only optimisation!)

In the same campaign of course, I also have fond memories of Cthulu Juju, the demon monkey (with psionic powers). He got away, and made his escape; he left the combat scene and disenguaged from the battle, retreated and was not involved in the battle because he had left the area in which the fighting was taking place. And one day he will return; that is to say he shall come back from the place where he is now to where the party is, as an antagonist, who is opposed to them and he shall fight them as their enemy...(etc etc)

Trouble with my players is, they absolutely hate to let the bad guys get away; because they know they'll be back later. You know how, when the bad guys in movies taunt the heroes or something, and you're yelling "just shoot him, you idiot!" That's my players....(and me, to be honest, when I'm playing!)

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-07-20, 07:58 AM
I don't know if they're my best villains, but I have some good ones from the last three campaigns I ran, the first two of which I've posted before:

The Elf General
I ran a very strange campaign last year (not a comedy campaign, just...strange) wherein the PCs built a giant flying turtle fortress as a base of operations. The elves--specifically, one cult of Asmodeus that was secretly running the government--were the main bad guys, and there were two tiers of elves the players encountered: the Crimson Brotherhood (nicknamed the "Reds") were the ones in charge, and the Ivory Guard (the "Whites") were the rest of the military, who didn't know what the Brotherhood was up to but were being manipulated.

In the first session, the players managed to piece this information together from a captured formerly-mind-controlled White and some information from the PCs' dwarven allies. They made it their mission to free the Whites from the Reds' control, because if they did that, the outnumbered Reds might be forced to surrender before the major devil invasion they were working towards could commence. After being attacked by a major army, a few more captured Whites revealed that there was an elven city that had gone "off the grid," and that that was where all the Whites were trained. Of course, the PCs investigated.

They got there to find the city swimming with demons and devils (yes, both of them; the elves managed to work out a truce in the Blood War) and discovered that the last White left alive was their leader, General Melchor. He did all he could to help them escape, was very polite, and generally made a good impression, so the PCs took them with him. Fast forward a few in-game months; the Reds seem to know exactly what the PCs are doing, regardless of anti-scrying defenses, and they were on the run. The exact machinations of General Melchor are far too complex to post here, but suffice to say not only did they trust him completely and believe that lots of the Red attacks were meant to kill him for being a traitor, they also let him report back to the Red leadership as their spy.

They met him at 4th level. At 18th level, after peeling back the layers of conspiracy, they determined that the elves on a first-name basis with the Demon Princes and Archdevils were the Council of Night, who they named the Blacks. It took them 2 sessions, but they finally determined what the Blacks' plans were. They pieced together all the facts and discovered that a Black was working undercover as a White to follow the PCs. They of course immediately suspected one of their recently-captured Whites to be a Black trying to kill Melchor--I had them eating out of my hand. By the time they put 2 and 2 together and determined that one of the 5 BBEGs had been with them literally every step of the way for 14 levels, that he had been reporting back to his compatriots constantly, and that he had been so nice and fooled them all completely, they wanted to kill him even more than they wanted to save the world.

They tracked him down (since he'd escaped), only to find him sitting in a nice mansion offering them wine and sandwiches. They had a very nice chat where he explained all of his plans, apologized profusely for betraying them--he really hadn't wanted to, you see, they were such nice people, but he had no choice--and regretfully explained that they were scum of the earth and he had to kill them. They finally managed to take him down when all but one PC were down and the last was in single-digit HP...but there were some strong indications that he survived. To this day, my players are still suspicious of any elf wearing black and white.

The Demilich(es)
In the first and only epic campaign I've run with my group back home, the party was steamrolling any monsters I threw at them and were asking to fight "the most powerful epic bad guy I could make."

Bad idea.

I introduced an epic organization of necromancers, and for a while the mooks the party faced each appeared to be a single, simple, jeweled skeleton--obviously just a demilich with a body to move it around, right? After facing a few battles with them, the PCs started whining again, when they walked up to another one like all of the others...and died. They were rezzed...and died. It kept screwing with them for 4-5 sessions and 16-17 rezzes. A basic demilich is CR 21, and these guys were ECL 70-ish. What was the trick? It's a fairly obvious idea, but it took them a while to figure it out.

Jeweled bone = demilich, yes, but how many bones are there in the human body?

206. :smallbiggrin:

Here's how everything went down:

Basically, to make a memorable boss fight, I keep as many abilities in reserve as I can to be surprises. The first fight was simply a single widened disjunction from the head and 205 widened maximized empowered twinned energy admixed (acid) energy admixed (sonic) energy admixed (cold) energy admixed (electricity) fireballs from the others. Nice, blunt brute force that didn't reveal any tactics. That was easily doable for them and did upwards of 29000 damage, blowing through what little protection was left after the disjunction (though all the PCs had immunity to at least 2 energy types from templates) and KO'ing them in 1 round.

For round 2, after the contingent resurrections and teleports kicked in, they realized they were seriously outgunned. They looked up the demilich's (they still thought it was just 1) immunities (many) and vulnerabilities (few), specced up on anti-undead spells and items, and headed out again.

Predictably, they focused on offense and forgot some defenses. Like protection against disjunction and the fact that death ward doesn't matter after you're hit by one. One disjunction and 205 fingers of death later, it was back to the drawing board.

DING DING DING! Round 3. They finally got immunity to disjunction and headed out again. They had been winning easily up to this point, so none of them had needed to nova. They looked up the best nova strategies, "surprised" the demiliches, unloaded a nova, and destroyed them...only to find out that all demiliches know astral projection. Death number 3.

At this point, the party realized that destroying the baddies (now they knew there were multiple demiliches) would do no good if they didn't find and destroy the phylactery, so the casters brute-force divined the phylacteries' locations (yes, locations, plural), and nova-d and rested in a timeless plane until all were destroyed...only to be ambushed at the last spot by the BBEG. Death number 4.

They headed out again, and were promptly nova-d by the BBEG. Death number 5. Mind you, the lich hasn't regained spells since death #1 at this point.

Round 6. They find the BBEG, figure out it's astral projecting, go find the bodies, and prepare to take out the defenseless BBEG...only to have the projected form ambush and kill them from behind.

Round 7. This time they took a timeout to plan and figure out what went wrong. (The BBEG regained spells here.) They summoned some solars to go with them (12, I believe) and found the BBEG again...only to find that there weren't a dozen or so demiliches like they thought but 206 baddies. The solars were easily wiped and the party died again.

Round 8. They found the lich again, avoided the astral projection, found the body, and avoided an ambush until they could take out 5 of the demiliches. Then they died again.

Round 9. Repeat of round 8--they finally figured out how to hide from the BBEG. Took out 5 more demiliches. The BBEG now has no toes. :smallfrown:

Round 10. Almost-repeat of round 9. However, one of the 7 they "destroyed" actually went invisible and split up from the rest. Remember that.

Round 11. The demilich followed them to home base and nova-d them.

Round 12. The PCs try for a war of attrition, hoping to wear down the spells until they could just kill them at leisure. They chased and were chased all over that world's equivalents to Mechanus and Acheron, but eventually they were cornered and killed.

Round 14. They discovered, to their chagrin, that the demilich that escaped in round 10 had restored his phylactery and was using illusions to swap out with some of the others and let them rebuild theirs. By the time the PCs figured it out, the remaining 189 all had their phylacteries back. Death #14.

Round 15. Thanks to attrition and guerrilla tactics, the PCs were able to wipe out the new phylacteries and kill another 106 demiliches, bringing them down to 83. This was the entire second-to-last session right here, and it was amazing. They still died, though. :smallbiggrin:

Round 16. After their huge defeat in the last round, the liches focused more on defense. With a few epic spells and items (few? okay, lots), their HP shot into the 1000s each (around 1500) and it seemed like they'd never be defeated. One by two by two dozen, the demiliches dropped, until there were only 5 left, the party was down to 80-90 HP each, and both the BBEG and the party casters were down to 1st level spells, except for 1 epic spell each they were saving for an absolute last resort; they couldn't be sure if they would have a chance to regain spells, so they wanted to hold something in reserve just in case. The non-casters of course were just whittling away at the BBEG at this point, and the PCs were out of active contingent resurrections, so this was literally the last battle. The PCs dipped into their reserves, and pulled out every last wand and scroll, their staffs being long since used up at this point.

Working together, they finally got the BBEG down to the last demilich, who still had >1000 HP. Unfortunately for them, the BBEG finally managed to trap the soul of 2 of the PCs. The PCs were literally down to their last wand, with no other charged or otherwise offensive items left, and it was a wand of dimension door. Right before he was trap the soul'd as well, the party cleric managed to get the wand to the wizard, then as his final act cast his only contingent resurrection on the wizard, and wizard used the wand to get out of the demilich's range.

Finally, the piece de resistance: the wizard was out of options and double checked his character sheet...only to find that in all the excitement he'd forgotten that what he thought was an epic mage armor in reserve was in fact his vengeful gaze of god, researched a while back for just such an eventuality. With the demilich only 15 feet away and closing, he cast the vengeful gaze of god, killing the BBEG with only 3 or 4 HP to spare, and killing himself in the process.

When he was resurrected, he regained spells, gated back to the Material Plane, and had the rest of them true resurrected. Then they ascended to be overdeities and the campaign ended. It was the most epic campaign we have ever done, and we haven't played epic since then because we don't think we could ever beat that.

The Insane Necromancer
Lieutenant Darius was a freakishly powerful yet very oblivious/apathetic four-armed, graft-focused, formerly-human necromancer (able to cast 5th level spells in a low-magic world) who the party ran into on several occasions. He didn't care about loyalty to the Empire (run by his older brother), killing the PCs, or anything like that: his goal was simply to become as powerful as he possibly could while learning as much about grafts, bodies, magic, etc. as he possibly could.

Some highlights:
The first time they came into contact with him, they were spying on an Imperial detachment in preparation for assassinating the people in charge. Darius was stitching a few body parts together to make a new breed of half golem/half undead creatures when the commanding officer interrupted him to try to order him to do something. Darius said something along the lines of "The 'lieutenant' is honorary to let me order the mooks around, I don't answer to you, shut up or I'll kill you." The officer kept pushing and ordering, so Darius blew his head off, reanimated the body, and kept on doing what he was doing. The PCs crossed "disguise selves as Imperial officers" off the list of possible enemy infiltration plans.
Later, the PCs visited his secret research base to stop him from creating new kinds of undead to win the war for the Evil EmpireTM. They didn't know what he was capable of at this point, so when they found him wandering the hallways deep in thought, the figured 8-to-1 odds were good enough and jumped him. That...didn't work. They hauled ass, and he threw a few half-hearted death spells, but otherwise let them leave.
The PCs visited the base again, hoping to steal vital information on the new undead. They were discovered, and so they collapsed the entrance to stop the soldiers inside from assaulting them, and a two-week siege ensued. Around Day 11, the party was just lounging around when Darius poofed into existence above the entrance, walked a short distance away, carved a circle of runes into the snow, stepped into it, and poofed away again. The PCs and their allies were freaking out, hiding behind anything they could, and generally panicking. As soon as they calmed down a bit, Darius reappeared dragging a scorched hydra corpse, brought it nearer the entrance, and poofed back down again. The siege continued as normal, and they were completely confused.
A few months later in-game, Darius teleported into their HQ in the middle of a briefing, told them he was offering to defect because the Empire wasn't funding his research anymore, gave them a week to set up a lab, and poofed away again. He did research there for a few months then, when the Empire decided they wanted him back and offered to fund him again, switched back to the Empire's side.
There are a few more good ones, but I don't have my campaign notes on me at the moment.

shadmere
2010-07-20, 08:01 AM

Wow, that sounds like an awesome villain.

I've only DMed once, and the group fell apart when half of them stopped having Any Free Time At All. (You know the type: works till 6 everyday, then has Toastmasters, a painting class, the gym, whitewater rafting, hiking, rodeo classes, or tickets to a game every single day. It's good to have a life, definitely, but it's kind of ridiculous when someone has to keep a planner to see whether or not they have time to watch a movie sometime within the next month.)

But before that happened, I was putting together an idea for a vampire villain who liked toying with the PCs. I was going to have her level alongside the PCs, always staying higher level, but slowly coming into "defeatable" range as the PCs gained strength.

Of course it never actually happened. They made it through the villain's "introduction" plotline, but not much further. I guess it's technically my best villain, but only because it's my only one. :smalltongue:

Aotrs Commander
2010-07-20, 08:56 AM
I don't know if they're my best villains, but I have some good ones from the last three campaigns I ran, the first two of which I've posted before:

The Demilich(es)

Dude...just...woah. That. Was. AWESOME!

I think that whomps my own top encounter by a fairly long margin!

*sniff* I think I have condesation in my skull. So beautiful...

Voshkod
2010-07-20, 09:08 AM
This was for a Delta Green (modern Call of Cthulhu) campaign. Her codename was Snowbird, and she was "augmented." Her father, a member of the Majestic 12 (responsible for the UFO coverups and assorted evil), had given her to the aliens when she was twelve (part of the deal MJ-12 had with the aliens).

They . . . changed her. Carbon-crystal bones. Telescopic/microscopic/multi-spectral eyes which she polished with special chemicals emitted from her teardrops. She could reprogram her nervous system, and provide herself with various chemicals, by tapping on her teeth with her tongue. Her nerves had been hyped up to impossible levels, her skin was armored, etc., etc. Her brain had been reprogrammed to follow orders, and she had a nice little kill switch if she got out of line. Every now and again they'd wipe her brain and put her back on "factory reset," as it were, but it never quite took. Her brain contained a hundred fragments of memories she couldn't place. When the aliens had returned her to MJ-12, she was more like 21 years old, but very little time had passed for her.

She was the enforcer for MJ-12, and for a long part of the campaign she made the PCs' lives a living hell. They hated Snowbird. When they were closing in on things, she'd appear, wreck them, and disappear, using after some crazy banter.

Then they started learning the truth about her, and suddenly she was the target of sympathy. That's when I knew it had worked. Their main villain, the face of their opposition, was now a target of pity.

Totally Guy
2010-07-20, 10:04 AM
I had a D&D villain called Pugh Djinn. He was a human wizard with a bald head and dirty beard.

He was always the lesser villain in every situation. But what made him great was the way he always reacted to the PC's rather than being proactive like whatever the greater evil of the day was doing.

So the formula for the campaign would be to have the big bad out there doing an evil scheme. The party doing their thing against that villain. And Pugh Djinn in last place picking up any loose ends and turning them into his own morally ambiguous gambit to get ahead of both the other villain and the party.

Volthawk
2010-07-20, 10:23 AM
Well, I have a villain I just threw in a solo game I DM. Basically, he's one of the rulers of a city, where the walls and most the city is made out of admantine, which used to be quite a nice, equal city, before this guy's people took over, and kicked out all the non-humans. Basically, he's quite a large man, with an eyepatch, a rough beard, who wears a duster, and speaks like Brian Blessed.

Ponderthought
2010-07-20, 12:51 PM
I whipped up this fellow the other day. Not sure what I want to do with him, but i just have to use the image

http://mediv.deviantart.com/art/The-Revenant-King-W-I-P-170978699?q=sort%3Atime+gallery%3Amediv&qo=0

Master_Rahl22
2010-07-20, 03:25 PM
The only one I've made was for a campaign that didn't start, but I was pretty proud of him.

Russell was a paladin who had adventured for a long time and specialized in hunting and destroying vampires. One particularly powerful vampire managed to capture Russell and turn him. The shock of suddenly being evil and craving the blood of living things after 20 or 30 years of upholding the highest standards of Good was too much for him, and he developed a split personaliy. Thus was born Lukela, the vampire personality that knew about Russell, the paladin personality.

The vampire was so amused by this, he spent years and quite a bit of money to research and build an artifact that could protect a vampire from the ill effects of sunlight, in addition to some minor things like making him seem to be of Good alignment to the various detection methods. By day he was Russell, governer of the province the PCs were in and great guy. By night, he was Lukela the vampire lord, who was slowly building an army of vampire spawn in order to eventually take over the province in a bloody final conflict that would force Russell to realize all that he had done over the years. Oh, and Russell was going to be the main "quest giver" NPC the PCs would interact with since he was hiring them to investigate the strange increase in vampire sightings in his territory.

As a just for fun note, they were originally going to be completely seperate people until I was flipping through a baby book trying to find names for them and stumbled on the following entry: Lukela (Hawaiian for Russel). :smallbiggrin:

RE:Insanity
2010-07-20, 03:47 PM
I once DMed an epic adventure for my group where they fought a lich who was a cleric of wee jas. He looked into the future to when they killed him and was ultra-prepared with items and spells and EVERYTHING. When the players finally killed him, a cleric, a druid, and a wizard he had hired teleported in while the party was looting and revived/reincarnated/stabbed/repeated until he came back as a red dragon, then buffed him up again and reset the magic in the room, summoning more minions and teleporting out. The players fought hard and finally succeeded a second time, at the loss of most of what little of their resources were left.

The cleric, druid, and wizard came back.

Everyone fought again, and the rogue (who happened to have a large and loving family of NPCs and was on a big dramatic and emotional quest to save the souls of some of his friends and all that, it was a real tear jerker for everyone there, but sounds stupid in context) died when a summoned demon pretty much ripped his spine out and impaled him with it.

Yeah, ow.

The fighter finally killed the lich/dragon with a sword to the eye while it leaned down to impale him with it's tooth, loosing a good chunk of arm meat in the process.

Cleric, druid, and wizard.

The lich, a bugbear now, proceeded to repeatedly shank the fighter with the fighter's own arm bone, which had shattered under the lich's mace. The fighter died. The lich killed the cleric with a ray of frost to the face, and the wizard hit it with a fireball, killing it.

This time, the wizard time stopped and put in an anti-magic field. The cleric, wizard, and druid ported in and were meteor swarmed and subdued. The party's wizard, seething with anger, proceeded to pummel them , shank them in their genitals with a spear, berate them, burn them, freeze them, melt their faces, and kill them with a slow acting nervous poison. Afterwards, he turned the lich's castle into his fortress and started a school for adventurers there.

Seven days later, the lich reformed from his phylactery. Beneath the wizard's bed.

Kaiyanwang
2010-07-20, 05:15 PM
PairO'Dice Lost: I actually did something similar, but with BODY PARTS! (torso, head, hands..). You are EVIIIIIIILL! My full respect.

By best villain is the current one.. a paranoid NE wizard with Char higher than int, and really handsome. Uses his spells to ward himself, but acts like a "femme fatale", male version.

Seduced a tiefling rogue for a plan, a binded celestial for another plan, and a female PC, and flirts with a female Silver Dragon. All for information, and to nourish his unlimited egoism and lust.

Then he twisted all things to show he's doing sort of a double-double dealing, feigning to screw player and screwing a criminal association.

But later the PCs will discover he will screw them for another villanous association, when he will be sure that PCs "cleaned the path" taking the risks in his place.

(I cut a lot of things he made to make PCs and NPCs trust or mistrust of the wrong people, and expose an enemy city to an orc invasion).

I love it because I always played anti villains, or complete monsters. He's just an incredible JERK.

Talbot
2010-07-20, 05:19 PM
Note: I've DMed exactly once in the last eight years.

That being said, I tend towards morally ambiguous villains (with exceptions; sometimes out-and-out evil can be fun). I like villains the heroes can't always be sure they should kill. I usually also like to make sure they have some mechanical ability/wrinkle the PCs aren't prepared for and aren't used to. A good villain should be memorable for at least three reasons; personality, behavior/goals, and difficulty. I can usually handle the first two without having to resort to pen and paper, but for the third one a special trick or favorite ability goes a long way, especially when it lines up well with the first two categories.

I may check back into the thread with specific villains I've used later, but for now I'll leave it at that.

Mikeavelli
2010-07-20, 05:23 PM
A Human (well, mortal) supremacist wizard.

The players had gone the entire campaign making friends and enemies of various magical creatures (Fey, Genies, etc.) - and liked a fair amount of them.

This particular wizard had several unique spells that allowed him to bind magical creatures into his service. He had, for example, a Seele fey lord bound into a giant oak tree to power a never-ending garden, a Marid bound below his city to magically direct indoor plumbing, Efreeti and fire elementals bound to provide heat for cooking, foundries, industry, etc.

He had hundreds of the things powering an Island magic utopia where all his mortal followers were free to pursue whatever they were interested in doing. He produced the most magnificent artists in the world, storytellers, crafters, and even adventurers (whom he sent out into the world to capture more magical creatures).

He and his followers considered the magical beings less-than-human, existing for the sole purpose of serving humans. They and their people considered him a monstrous slaver. The players were sent by their friends in the magical world and, after seeing everything he'd done and talking with the guy for a bit, they sat back and thought.

"Do we really want to kill this guy?"

More than one player honestly didn't even want to kill him even though he was undeniably evil, and they would have been completely justified in doing so.

Creating villains like this is what I enjoy the most.

Sir_Chivalry
2010-07-20, 05:57 PM
Once had a sorceress who never once cast a spell at the table. Archduchess Amelia was a thrall of Malchanthet, queen of the succubi, and her basic goal was to become a god, not for any other reason than she felt she was owed it for the horrible chidlhood she had.

She had a 65 Charisma, placing her 29 points above Malchanthet, which led to the queen of the succubi revoking her powers as she was about to ascend to godhood.

Most of the PCs who fought her just remember that the city revolved around her as she walked, like she was a miniature sun.

Quirinus_Obsidian
2010-07-20, 06:18 PM
Mine had to be this. I had to go with a gish style. I can't be caster only. It's a biological imperative for me.

Beware, some of the extra stuff is not WotC or SRD.

Hennraeka - LN Phrenic Half-Esper (homebrewed) Elan female Psion (Kineticist) 6/Fighter 2/Slayer 10. The "race" is a LONG story that I am not going to get into now.

I may give her some levels of Body Leech (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040925a) because it is awesome.

Stats and stuff:

PP reserve: well over 200. Hah, I did wish it was OVER9000!

Stats:
STR: 22
INT: 28
WIS: 16
DEX: 16
CON: 16
CHA: 12

Land speed 40f
Flight @ 60f/Good

Skills: All Knowledge skills you can think of have at least a +21 modifier.

Armor:
AC 25 (before buffs)
+1 Psisteel heavy plate with Moderate Fortification
Animated Lion's Shield
DR 3/-

Weapon:
+5 Crystalline Psisteel Falchion with Collision and a Greater Foci (Kineticism and Telepathy) embedded in the hilt.

Feats - This is an incomplete list:

Psycrystal Affinity
Track (From flaw)
Psionic Meditation
Elan Resiliance
Quicken Power
Overchannel
Scribe Tattoo
Talented

Powers. This is incomplete. Need moar listed:

Skeletal Eruption
Psychokinesis
Level: Kineticist 3
Display: Au, Ol
Manifestation Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft + 5ft/2 levels)
Target: One creature with a skeletal system
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Fortitude half or Reflex half
(see text)
Power Resistance: Yes
Power Points: 5
You charge the target's skeletal structure with a lethal vibration, damaging the target and
potentially causing its bones to explode. The target takes 3d6 points of damage and 2 points
of Strength damage (a successful Fortitude saving throw reduces both by half). If this
damage reduces the target’s Strength to 0, it takes an additional 2d6 points of damage and
falls prone as its body is unable to support itself.

If the total damage inflicted reduces the target to -10 hit points, the target's body explodes as
the bones turn to shrapnel, dealing half the damage the target took in a 5 ft burst around
the target (a successful Reflex save reduces this damage by half). A creature that dies from
skeletal eruption can be resurrected, but not raised.
Augment: For every 2 additional power points you spend, this power's damage increases by
one die (d6) and the save DC increases by 1. For each extra two dice of damage, the Strength damage increases by 2.

Precognition, Offensive
Clairsentience
Level: Psion/wilder 1, psychic warrior 1
Display: Material and visual
Manifesting Time: 1 standard action; see text
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 min./level (D)
Power Points: 1

Your awareness extends a fraction of a second into the future, allowing you to better land blows against your opponent. You gain a +1 insight bonus on your attack rolls.

Augment: You can augment this power in one or both of the following ways.

1. For every 3 additional power points you spend, the insight bonus gained on your attack rolls increases by 1.

2. If you spend 6 additional power points, you can manifest this power as a swift action.

Prescience, Offensive
Clairsentience
Level: Psion/wilder 1, psychic warrior 1
Display: Material and visual
Manifesting Time: 1 standard action
Your awareness extends a fraction of a second into the future, allowing you to better aim blows against your opponent. You gain a +2 insight bonus on your damage rolls.
1. For every 3 additional power points you spend, the insight bonus gained on your damage rolls increases by 1.
2. If you spend 6 additional power points, you can manifest this power as a swift action.

Telekinetic Maneuver
Psychokinesis [Force]
Level: Psion/wilder 4
Display: Visual
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./ level)
Target: One creature
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 round/level
Saving Throw: None
Power Points: 7
You can affect a foe by concentrating your mind upon its current status and the status you desire, once per round. You can perform a bull rush, a disarm, a grapple (including a pin), or a trip. Resolve these attempts as normal, except that they don’t provoke attacks of opportunity, you use your manifester level in place of your base attack bonus (for disarm and grapple attempts), you use your Intelligence modifier in place of your Strength modifier or Dexterity modifier, and a failed attempt doesn’t allow a reactive attempt by the target (such as normally allowed on disarm or trip attempts). No save is allowed against these attempts, but power resistance applies normally.
Augment: For every 2 additional power points you spend, this power grants a +1 bonus on your checks involving bull rush, disarm, grapple, or trip attempts.

Death Urge
Telepathy (Compulsion) [Mind-Affecting]
Display: Mental
Target: One living creature
Duration: 1 round
Saving Throw: Will negates
You plant a hidden death-urge impulse in the subject’s unconscious. On the subject’s next turn, it looks for the quickest method to end its life and attempts to do so. The subject takes no other action on its turn except attempting to harm itself.
If armed, the subject attacks itself as a full-round action. The attack automatically succeeds and deals damage as a critical hit. If unarmed, the subject moves adjacent to the nearest enemy and provokes an attack of opportunity, offering its opponent an opening, which the opponent may or may not choose to take advantage of.
If the subject is unarmed and no enemy is nearby, the subject simply does nothing at all. A subject close to an immediate and lethal hazard such as a cliff or a fire might hurl itself off the cliff or into the fire instead of striking itself with a weapon.
Augment: For every 4 additional power points you spend, this power’s save DC increases by 2 and its duration increases by 1 round.

Dimension Door, Psionic
Psychoportation (Teleportation)
Level: Psion/wilder 4, psychic warrior 4
Range: Long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level)
Target or Targets: You and touched objects or other touched willing creatures
Saving Throw: None and Will negates (object)
Power Resistance: No and Yes (object)
You instantly transfer yourself from your current location to any other spot within range. You always arrive at exactly the spot desired—whether by simply visualizing the area or by stating direction. After using this spell, you can’t take any other actions until your next turn. You can bring along objects as long as their weight doesn’t exceed your maximum load. You may also bring one additional willing Medium or smaller creature (carrying gear or objects up to its maximum load) or its equivalent per three caster levels. A Large creature counts as two Medium creatures, a Huge creature counts as two Large creatures, and so forth. All creatures to be transported must be in contact with one another, and at least one of those creatures must be in contact with you.
If you arrive in a place that is already occupied by a solid body, you and each creature traveling with you take 1d6 points of damage and are shunted to a random open space on a suitable surface within 100 feet of the intended location.
If there is no free space within 100 feet, you and each creature traveling with you take an additional 2d6 points of damage and are shunted to a free space within 1,000 feet. If there is no free space within 1,000 feet, you and each creature travelling with you take an additional 4d6 points of damage and the spell simply fails.
Augment: If you spend 6 additional power points, you can manifest this power as a move action.

Disintegrate, Psionic
Psychoportation
Level: Psion/wilder 6
Display: Auditory, material, and visual
Effect: Ray
Saving Throw: Fortitude partial (object)
Power Points: 11
A thin, green ray springs from your pointing finger. You must make a successful ranged touch attack to hit. Any creature struck by the ray takes 22d6 points of damage. Any creature reduced to 0 or fewer hit points by this power is entirely disintegrated, leaving behind only a trace of fine dust. A disintegrated creature’s equipment is unaffected.
When used against an object, the ray simply disintegrates as much as one 10-foot cube of nonliving matter. Thus, the power disintegrates only part of any very large object or structure targeted. The ray affects even objects constructed entirely of force, but not psionic effects such as a null psionics field.
A creature or object that makes a successful Fortitude save is partially affected, taking only 5d6 points of damage. If this damage reduces the creature or object to 0 or fewer hit points, it is entirely disintegrated.
Only the first creature or object struck can be affected; that is, the ray affects only one target per manifestation.
Augment: For every additional power point you spend, the damage this power deals to a subject that fails its saving throw increases by 2d6 points. Augmenting this power does not change the amount of damage the target takes if it succeeds on its saving throw.

Concealing Amorpha
Metacreativity (Creation)
Level: Psion/wilder 2, psychic warrior 2
Display: Material; see text
Range: 0 ft.
Effect: Quasi-real amorphous film centered on you
Power Points: 3
Using concealing amorpha, you weave a quasi-real membrane around yourself. You remain visible within the translucent, amorphous enclosure. This distortion grants you concealment (opponents have a 20% miss chance), thanks to the rippling membrane encasing your form. You can pick up or drop objects, easily reaching through the film. Anything you hold is enveloped by the amorpha. Likewise, you can engage in melee, make ranged attacks, and manifest powers without hindrance.

Missive, Mass
Telepathy [Mind-Affecting, Language-Dependent]
Level: Psion/wilder 2
Targets: All creatures in a 400 ft. + 40 ft./level radius centered on you; see text
Effect: Mental message delivered to subjects
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
Power Resistance: Yes (harmless)
You send a telepathic message of up to twenty-five words to all creatures within range. You can include or exclude from this broadcast any creature you can see, as well as any creature that you know or know of. Mass missive is strictly a one-way exchange from you to the subjects. If you do not share a common language, the subjects “hear” meaningless mental syllables.
Augment: For every 2 additional power points you spend, this power’s range increases by 40 feet and its save DC increases by 1.

Tongues, Psionic
Telepathy [Mind-Affecting]
Display: None
Duration: 10 min./level
This spell grants the creature touched the ability to speak and understand the language of any intelligent creature, whether it is a racial tongue or a regional dialect. The subject can speak only one language at a time, although it may be able to understand several languages. Tongues does not enable the subject to speak with creatures who don’t speak. The subject can make itself understood as far as its voice carries. This spell does not predispose any creature addressed toward the subject in any way.
Tongues can be made permanent with a permanency spell.
Arcane Material Component: A small clay model of a ziggurat, which shatters when the verbal component is pronounced.
This power does not enable you to speak with creatures immune to mind-affecting powers.

Touchsight
Psychometabolism
Level: Psion/wilder 3
Range: Personal; see text
You generate a subtle telekinetic field of mental contact, allowing you to “feel” your surroundings even in total darkness or when your sight would otherwise be obscured by your physical environment. Your touchsight field emanates from you out to 60 feet. You ignore invisibility, darkness, and concealment, though you must have line of effect to a creature or an object to discern it. You do not need to make Spot or Listen checks to notice creatures; you can detect and pinpoint all creatures within 60 feet. In many circumstances, comparing your regular senses to what you learn with touchsight is enough to tell you the difference between visible, invisible, hiding, and concealed creatures. Augment: For every 2 additional power points you spend, the radius of your touchsight field increases by 10 feet.

Causal Loop
Psychoportation
Level: Psion/Wilder 3
Display: Audible
Manifestation Time: One standard action
Range: Medium (100 feet + 10 feet/level)
Target: All creatures in a 10-foot diameter area
Duration: 1 round/level
You entangle your foes in a loop of causal time, dooming
them to repeat their last action every round until the duration
elapses.
If the target manifests a power, it manifests a power again
in the exact same location. If the target attacks a foe, it
attacks the same foe again even if the foe has retreated or is
dead. Even if prevented, the target makes every effort to
repeat its last action, even if the action will cause itself harm.
For instance, a running foe continues to run each round and
may eventually run into a ravine. Despite its obliviousness to
its surroundings, a target’s power points used and any
points of damage sustained accumulate normally. A target’s
mind may be caught in a causal loop, but not so its body. For
the same reason, targets are not denied their Dexterity if
attacked while causal looping.

Bestow Power
Range: 20 ft.
Target: One psionic creature
Power Resistance: No
You link your mind with another psionic creature’s mind, creating a brief conduit through which mental energy can be shared. When you manifest this power, the subject gains up to 2 power points. You can transfer only as many power points to a subject as it has manifester levels.
Because of the intimate nature of this power, it cannot be fabricated into a psionic item - only power points generated by a psionic creature in the moment can be shared using bestow power.
Augment: For every 3 additional power points you spend, the subject gains 2 additional power points.

Body Adjustment
Psychometabolism (Healing)
Level: Psion/wilder 3, psychic warrior 2
Display: Auditory and material
Manifesting Time: 1 round
Power Points: Psion/wilder 5, psychic warrior 3
You take control of your body’s healing process, curing yourself of 1d12 points of damage. As usual, when regular damage is healed, an equal amount of nonlethal damage is also healed.
Augment: For every 2 additional power points you spend, this power heals an additional 1d12 points of damage.

Body Purification
Psychometabolism (Healing)
Display: Auditory and material
Manifesting Time: 1 round
You restore up to 2 points of damage to a single ability score. You cannot use body purification to heal ability drain.
Augment: For every additional power point you spend, this power heals 1 additional point of damage to the same ability score.

Darkvision, Psionic
Clairsentience
Duration: 1 hour/level
The subject gains the ability to see 60 feet even in total darkness. Darkvision is black and white only but otherwise like normal sight. Darkvision does not grant one the ability to see in magical darkness.
Darkvision can be made permanent with a permanency spell.

Energy Adaptation
Psychometabolism [see text]
Level: Psion/wilder 4, psychic warrior 4
Display: Visual; see text
Duration: 10 min./level
Your body assimilates some of the effect of an energy attack and converts it to harmless light. You gain resistance 10 against any attack that deals acid, cold, electricity, fire, or sonic damage.
When you absorb damage, you can choose to radiate visible light that illuminates a 60-foot radius for a number of rounds equal to the points of damage you successfully resisted, or merely dissipate the energy without giving off a visual display.
The energy resistance provided by this power increases to 20 points at 9th manifester level and to a maximum of 30 points at 13th level. The power protects your equipment as well.
The resistance provided by this power does not stack with other forms of energy resistance.
This power’s subtype is the same as the type of damage it protects against.
Augment: If you spend 4 additional power points, you can manifest this power as an immediate action.

Energy Ball
Psychokinesis [see text]
Level: Kineticist 4
Display: Auditory
Area: 20-ft.-radius spread
Saving Throw: Reflex half or Fortitude half; see text
Upon manifesting this power, you choose cold, electricity, fire, or sonic. You create an explosion of energy of the chosen type that deals 7d6 points of damage to every creature or object within the area. The explosion creates almost no pressure.
Cold: A ball of this energy type deals +1 point of damage per die. The saving throw to reduce damage from a cold ball is a Fortitude save instead of a Reflex save.
Electricity: Manifesting a ball of this energy type provides a +2 bonus to the save DC and a +2 bonus on manifester level checks for the purpose of overcoming power resistance.
Fire: A ball of this energy type deals +1 point of damage per die.
Sonic: A ball of this energy type deals -1 point of damage per die and ignores an object’s hardness.
This power’s subtype is the same as the type of energy you manifest.
Augment: For every additional power point you spend, this power’s damage increases by one die (d6). For each extra two dice of damage, this power’s save DC increases by 1.

Energy Bolt
Psychokinesis [see text]
Range: 120 ft.
Area: 120-ft. line
Upon manifesting this power, you choose cold, electricity, fire, or sonic. You release a powerful stroke of energy of the chosen type that deals 5d6 points of damage to every creature or object within the area. The beam begins at your fingertips.
Cold: A bolt of this energy type deals +1 point of damage per die. The saving throw to reduce damage from a cold bolt is a Fortitude save instead of a Reflex save.
Electricity: Manifesting a bolt of this energy type provides a +2 bonus to the save DC and a +2 bonus on manifester level checks for the purpose of overcoming power resistance.
Fire: A bolt of this energy type deals +1 point of damage per die.
Sonic: A bolt of this energy type deals -1 point of damage per die and ignores an object’s hardness.
Augment: For every additional power point you spend, this power’s damage increases by one die (d6). For each extra two dice of damage, this power’s save DC increases by 1.

Energy Burst
Psychokinesis [see text]
Range: 40 ft.
Area: 40-ft-radius burst centered on you
Upon manifesting this power, you choose cold, electricity, fire, or sonic. You create an explosion of unstable ectoplasmic energy of the chosen type that deals 5d6 points of damage to every creature or object within the area. The explosion creates almost no pressure. Since this power extends outward from you, you are not affected by the damage.
Cold: A burst of this energy type deals +1 point of damage per die. The saving throw to reduce damage from a cold burst is a Fortitude save instead of a Reflex save.
Electricity: Manifesting a burst of this energy type provides a +2 bonus to the save DC and a +2 bonus on manifester level checks for the purpose of overcoming power resistance.
Fire: A burst of this energy type deals +1 point of damage per die.
Sonic: A burst of this energy type deals -1 point of damage per die and ignores an object’s hardness.

Energy Cone
Psychokinesis [see text]
Level: Kineticist 3
Range: 60 ft.
Area: Cone-shaped spread
Upon manifesting this power, you choose cold, electricity, fire, or sonic. You create a cone of energy of the chosen type, extending outward from your hand, that deals 5d6 points of damage to every creature or object within the area.
Cold: A cone of this energy type deals +1 point of damage per die. The saving throw to reduce damage from a cold cone is a Fortitude save instead of a Reflex save.
Electricity: Manifesting a cone of this energy type provides a +2 bonus to the save DC and a +2 bonus on manifester level checks for the purpose of overcoming power resistance.
Fire: A cone of this energy type deals +1 point of damage per die.
Sonic: A cone of this energy type deals -1 point of damage per die and ignores an object’s hardness.

Energy Current
Psychokinesis [see text]
Level: Kineticist 5
Display: Visual; see text
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: Any two creatures no more than 15 ft. apart
Power Points: 9
Upon manifesting this power, you choose cold, electricity, fire, or sonic. Your body’s psionically fueled bioenergetic currents produce an arc of energy of the chosen type that targets a creature you designate as the primary foe for 9d6 points of damage in every round when the power remains in effect. Energy also arcs off the primary foe to strike one additional foe that is initially within 15 feet of the primary foe, or that subsequently moves within 15 feet of the primary foe while the duration lasts. Secondary foes take half the damage that the primary foe takes in every round while the duration lasts.
Should either the primary or secondary foe fall to less than 0 hit points (or should a target completely evade the effect with a special ability or power), the energy current ’s arc randomly retargets another primary and/or secondary foe while the duration lasts. Targeted foes can move normally, possibly moving out of range of the effect, but each round they are targeted and remain in range they must make a saving throw to avoid taking full damage in that round.
Concentrating to maintain energy current is a full-round action. If you take damage while maintaining energy current, you must make a successful Concentration check (DC 10 + damage dealt) to avoid losing your concentration on the power.
Cold: A current of this energy type deals +1 point of damage per die. The saving throw to reduce damage from a cold current is a Fortitude save instead of a Reflex save.
Electricity: Manifesting a current of this energy type provides a +2 bonus to the save DC and a +2 bonus on manifester level checks for the purpose of overcoming power resistance.
Fire: A current of this energy type deals +1 point of damage per die.
Sonic: A current of this energy type deals -1 point of damage per die and ignores an object’s hardness.
1. For every additional power point you spend, this power’s damage increases by one die (d6). For each extra two dice of damage, this power’s save DC increases by 1.
2. For every 4 additional power points you spend, this power can affect an additional secondary target. Any additional secondary target cannot be more than 15 feet from another target of the power.

Energy Push
Psychokinetic [see text]
Display: Auditory and visual
Upon manifesting this power, you choose cold, electricity, fire, or sonic. You project a solid blast of energy of the chosen type at a target, dealing it 2d6 points of damage. In addition, if a subject of up to one size category larger than you fails a Strength check (DC equal to the save DC of this power), the driving force of the energy blast pushes it back 5 feet plus another 5 feet for every 5 points of damage it takes. If a wall or other solid object prevents the subject from being pushed back, the subject instead slams into the object and takes an extra 2d6 points of damage from the impact (no save). The movement caused by energy push does not provoke attacks of opportunity.
Cold: A blast of this energy type deals +1 point of damage per die (damage from impact remains at 2d6 points). The saving throw to reduce damage from a cold push is a Fortitude save instead of a Reflex save.
Electricity: Manifesting a blast of this energy type provides a +2 bonus to the save DC and a +2 bonus on manifester level checks for the purpose of overcoming power resistance.
Fire: A blast of this energy type deals +1 point of damage per die (damage from impact remains at 2d6 points).
Sonic: A blast of this energy type deals -1 point of damage per die (damage from impact remains at 2d6 points) and ignores an object’s hardness.
Augment: For every 2 additional power points you spend, this power’s damage increases by one die (d6) and its save DC increases by 1. The damage increase applies to both the initial blast and any damage from impact with an object.

Energy Ray
Psychokinesis [see text]
Level: Psion/wilder 1
Upon manifesting this power, you choose cold, electricity, fire, or sonic. You create a ray of energy of the chosen type that shoots forth from your fingertip and strikes a target within range, dealing 1d6 points of damage, if you succeed on a ranged touch attack with the ray.
Cold: A ray of this energy type deals +1 point of damage per die.
Electricity: Manifesting a ray of this energy type provides a +3 bonus on your attack roll if the target is wearing metal armor and a +2 bonus on manifester level checks for the purpose of overcoming power resistance.
Fire: A ray of this energy type deals +1 point of damage per die.
Sonic: A ray of this energy type deals -1 point of damage per die and ignores an object’s hardness.
Augment: For every additional power point you spend, this power’s damage increases by one die (d6).

Daze, Psionic
Telepathy (Compulsion) [Mind-Affecting]
Display: Material and mental
Target: One humanoid creature that has 4 HD or less
Duration: 1 round
As the daze spell, except as noted here.
Augment: For every additional power point you spend, this power can affect a target that has Hit Dice equal to 4 + the additional points.

Cloud Mind, Mass
Level: Psion/wilder 6
Range: Close (25 ft. +5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One creature/level
Duration: 1 min./level
Power Points: 11
You make yourself completely undetectable to the subject by erasing all awareness of your presence from its mind. This power has the following effects.
First, you are invisible and inaudible to the creature. It cannot even detect your presence by means of blindsense, blindsight, scent, or tremorsense. It cannot pinpoint your location by any means.
Second, the subject remains unaware of your actions, provided you do not make any attacks or cause any obvious or directly threatening changes in the subject’s environment. If you attack the subject creature, the effect ends.
If you take an action that creates a sustained and obvious change in the subject’s environment - for example, attacking a creature aside from the subject or moving a large or attended object the subject can see - the subject immediately gains a new saving throw against the power. An ally of the subject creature that is able to see or perceive you can use a move action to warn the subject and thereby grant it a new saving throw.
As cloud mind, except as noted above. Each creature is affected individually.

Telekinetic Maneuver
Psychokinesis [Force]
You can affect a foe by concentrating your mind upon its current status and the status you desire, once per round. You can perform a bull rush, a disarm, a grapple (including a pin), or a trip. Resolve these attempts as normal, except that they don’t provoke attacks of opportunity, you use your manifester level in place of your base attack bonus (for disarm and grapple attempts), you use your Intelligence modifier in place of your Strength modifier or Dexterity modifier, and a failed attempt doesn’t allow a reactive attempt by the target (such as normally allowed on disarm or trip attempts). No save is allowed against these attempts, but power resistance applies normally.
Augment: For every 2 additional power points you spend, this power grants a +1 bonus on your checks involving bull rush, disarm, grapple, or trip attempts.

Control Light
Psychokinesis [Light]
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Area: Nine 10-ft. cubes + three 10-ft. cubes/level
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 min./level, or 1 round; see text
Power Resistance: No
By manipulating the ambient light level, you can decrease or increase the illumination of an area. The change in illumination can be gradual (taking as long as 1 minute) or sudden (occurring immediately when you manifest this power). You can alter the level of illumination from its original level at any time during the power’s duration.
Decrease: You can decrease the illumination of an area by as little as 5% (barely perceptible) or as much as 100% (total darkness). If you decrease the light by 50% or more, the visual ability of creatures that depend on light to see declines accordingly. If you decrease the ambient light in an area by 100%, even those with lowlight vision are unable to see within the affected area. For each 25% decrease in ambient light, characters in the area gain a cumulative +1 circumstance bonus on Hide checks (to a maximum of +4 when all the light is gone).
Increase: You can increase the illumination of an area by as little as 5% (barely perceptible) or as much as 100%. If you increase the light by 50% or more, the visual ability of creatures that depend on light to see improves accordingly.
You can use this power to increase the illumination of an area by 200% (improving visual abilities accordingly), but in such a case the power’s duration is only 1 round.

Ego Whip
Range: Medium (100 ft. +10 ft./level)
Saving Throw: Will half; see text
Your rapid mental lashings assault the ego of your enemy, debilitating its confidence. The target takes 1d4 points of Charisma damage, or half that amount (minimum 1 point) on a successful save. A target that fails its save is also dazed for 1 round.
Augment: For every 4 additional power points you spend, this power’s Charisma damage increases by 1d4 points and its save DC increases by 2.

Energy Missile
Psychokinesis [see text]
Level: Kineticist 2
Targets: Up to five creatures or objects; no two targets can be more than 15 ft. apart.
Upon manifesting this power, you choose cold, electricity, fire, or sonic. You release a powerful missile of energy of the chosen type at your foe. The missile deals 3d6 points of damage to each creature or object you target, to the maximum of five targets. You cannot hit the same target multiple times with the same manifestation of this power.
Cold: A missile of this energy type deals +1 point of damage per die. The saving throw to reduce damage from a cold missile is a Fortitude save instead of a Reflex save.
Electricity: Manifesting a missile of this energy type provides a +2 bonus to the save DC and a +2 bonus on manifester level checks for the purpose of overcoming power resistance.
Fire: A missile of this energy type deals +1 point of damage per die.
Sonic: A missile of this energy type deals -1 point of damage per die and ignores an object’s hardness.
Augment: For every additional power point you spend, this power’s damage increases by one die (d6) and its save DC increases by 1.

RandomNPC
2010-07-20, 06:51 PM
Of course it was a lich. But my players had no idea of what a lich was.

They fight through five castles before they find him, sitting in an underground throne room with that spell that makes people unable to approach unless they make a save. Archer was the only one to make the save. What they thought was a cat familiar was a huge red dragon, who leapt down and got into melee with the archer in round two.

After destroying the lich and making the dragon run for it they tracked the dragon and killed it's family, resolving an inteligent item quest with trapped souls providing the inteligent part of the items. without the powerfull items the party was slightly weaker, and only then found the lich came back.

Lich was forcing tax out of northern cities to re-gain power and the party went after him, the assassin found out undead are immune to death attacks by being laughed at, paralyzed, polymorphed into a sheep, and laughed at again. By then the rest of the party was getting close so the lich used a few dim.door spells to hop past the horizon in a matter of turns.

They chased him to a northern cliff where his soul hidey place was hidden, he got away with it and six HP, dropping the druid in bird form to -5 on the way out. They killed his true familiar in the fight, an earth elemental named Peat Moss.

The chase continused so far north they ran into my version of santa (a le-shay) whos gift to the world was keeping closed some gates to the dangerous realms on the north pole. The chase continued south, down the other side of the world.

In a last ditch effort to hide his soul hidey place He paid the theives guild of a metropolis to hide it in plain sight, the party called them on it and got it right. After making sure it was destroyed, and the peices disintigrated, the chase contined to the center of town, basicly Stephen kings dark tower. After climbing the tower the party and lich fought over who got to sit in the throne of all reality, because you can't sit on it if anyone in the tower dissagrees with you sitting on it. so they killed the lich, and in the joy of getting all the things he'd been using on them forgot about the throne of reality untill the bard casually states he sits on it and strikes a dashingly dramatic pose meant to make everyone laugh after the hard adventure was finally over. Upon sitting on the throne of reality he beacme the ruler of it.

So yes, a Bard/Arcane Archer is the most powerfull being in all reality, because he helped beat up a lich and decided to be a showoff instead of grabbing the best loot he could.

reptilecobra13
2010-07-20, 09:56 PM
One of my favorite battles I ever DM'd was a bunch of gestalt PCs versus a guy I referred to as "The Mountain King." He was a Marshal/Death Knight//Fighter who rode on a Nightmare and fought with a keen lance while mounted and a vorpal bastard sword once unhorsed. He was backed by an army of ghasts (about 80) and supported by a pair of dread necromancer/dread witches and a factotum/bard. While the PCs started to face off the army, the bard whipped out a fiddle and started playing "Thriller." The ghasts began to dance-fight, boosting their dex. While only the Mountain King himself actually served as much of a real challenge, the entire battle was one of the most entertaining my players have ever taken part in. :smallbiggrin:

Zanatos777
2010-07-21, 12:22 AM
While not my favorite villains, my players had certain villains they liked more than others.

Harold Vesarian, lethal assassin (they hated him)
Harold was simply an assassin (yes, a simple rogue/assassin). He wasn't epic, actually stated at level 14 plus an undead template after his death in the first session (only after did he become their foe). The one thing he was really good at was stealth. His hide and move silently were very good, somewhere around +50 each. On top of that he had a ring of invisibility which he used to great effect. He took to following the party around (literally walking with them!) while invisible (they were new players, had no idea about see invisibility, and basically used no magic) and execute them at random. I'm really not kidding here he just walked along then would kill anyone who stepped away (oddly they never set up night watches but I didn't abuse that). Once he even killed a character right after the PC had been resurrected, while he was still in the temple!

When he wasn't doing that he was trying to help them solve the dread mystery in the game. He hated the main villain and wanted to take her down but since he was under her control he had to go about it in a very round about method. Eventually they noticed the see invisibility spell and got him but he had a good run. Unfortunately the game ended soon afterward as the PCs discovered who the Big Bad was and attempted to take her down...about 8 levels too early and with no spellcasters or information about her abilities. Most sad for me as I really liked the Big Bad so I really didn't get to use her (in either of the games with her...the games tend to end when she is discovered).

Donald, vampire swordsman (they loved him)
Donald was...a vampire fighter if I recall correctly. He never actually fought the party but his attitude was something they really enjoyed. Unlike every other villain in the game he tried to be reasonable. At one point the players were running to a temple to get someone resurrected and he stood in their way. One PC declares that they didn't have time to fight him right now and Donald, much to their surprise, stepped aside assuring them he would return at a more convenient time. He also refused to fight anything other than one-on-one seeing it as dishonorable.

Ryn'est, godlike pleasure devil (they hated her, I loved her)
I love cruel villains and I don't think any of my villains captured "on-screen cruelty" like Ryn'est. She was the evil embodiment of lust and took cruelty to an art form in the game. She took pleasure in ruining the PCs lives simply because she could (she didn't skimp on other people mind you). During her run she accomplished the following: lured one PC to evil (causing him to become one of the Main Villains along with her), attempted to manipulate one PC to be raped by another PC, personally raped a (male) PC while shape-shifted into his (recently dead) mother, shape-shifted into trusted allies just to mess with the PCs (most frequently the aforementioned mother while complimenting the PC on their night together), had the party druid's mind subtly rewritten to make the other PCs seem like abusive jerks to her (the druid), stole one character's ability to speak his native language (Gulga), nearly had one PC sleep with his mind controlled and shape-shifted 5 year old daughter (the PCs dismissed the idea I would do something like that as too horrible), forced the PCs to kill another PC (they didn't like that character though), installed a subtle mental tick in many of the characters causing them to feel her touch (kissing them or groping them) if they stopped paying close attention to their surroundings (and of course in their dreams), and she tried and nearly succeeded in getting the party druid to attack the other PCs by telepathically imitating her internal monologue (made the bluff check). Worst part...they almost didn't kill her and wouldn't if they hadn't gone out of their way to find her and kill her.

I have one more to include, I will edit him in later.

Eldan
2010-07-21, 08:10 AM
He doesn't entirely fit the villain part, but:

Lord Winsome, the Quasit

An unmodified quasit with no class levels or anything at all. What he did was quite simple: he offered the party sorcerer to become his familiar through a quite simple ritual (effectively, this gave him the Improved Familiar Feat for free, though Winsome retained his own personality).
Then, from time to time, he would join in conversations with helpful advice: how to contact his friend (a Succubus in he service of Graz'zt) for help, how to deal with prisoners in a matter that they would still be useful to the multiversal society (sell them as slaves in the blood war, they can battle devils that way), combat tactics (burn the house down, there's probably no innocents inside).

I'm phrasing this a little simply here, but effectively, he made the formerly chaotic good party perform a variety of quite evil deeds, simply through a little knowledge of planar politics and some diplomatic talent, without the party even noticing.