PDA

View Full Version : [D&D 3.5] Animal Companion question

Jergmo
2010-07-20, 01:21 AM
Alright. So, a Druid can get an extra animal companion (I think, maybe I read something wrong.) A Sorcerer or Wizard can acquire an entire army of animal companions, by using the ACF that lets you trade your familiar for an animal companion, taking Obtain Familiar, and then Extra Familiar (assuming Dragon feats are allowed). What about a cleric, though? Can a cleric obtain an animal companion? Or is there some method of acquiring a familiar, so you could then trade it for an animal companion? :smallconfused:

Scarey Nerd
2010-07-20, 01:39 AM
Alright. So, a Druid can get an extra animal companion (I think, maybe I read something wrong.) A Sorcerer or Wizard can acquire an entire army of animal companions, by using the ACF that lets you trade your familiar for an animal companion, taking Obtain Familiar, and then Extra Familiar (assuming Dragon feats are allowed). What about a cleric, though? Can a cleric obtain an animal companion? Or is there some method of acquiring a familiar, so you could then trade it for an animal companion? :smallconfused:

I haven't read CD in too much detail, but I assume there'll be a feat "Obtain Animal Companion", as Animal Companions are the divine equivalent of a familiar. I know that just from PHB classes, the most pets a character can have is a Paladin's mount, a Sorcerer/Wizard's Familiar, and a Druid/Ranger's Animal Companion, so 3 total.

Jergmo
2010-07-20, 01:52 AM
I haven't read CD in too much detail, but I assume there'll be a feat "Obtain Animal Companion", as Animal Companions are the divine equivalent of a familiar. I know that just from PHB classes, the most pets a character can have is a Paladin's mount, a Sorcerer/Wizard's Familiar, and a Druid/Ranger's Animal Companion, so 3 total.

I'm not seeing anything - I just got done looking through CD, I'm afraid. :smallfrown: I suppose I could have the character take Wild Cohort, but I'm hoping to find something comparable in strength to an animal companion.

Desril
2010-07-22, 07:53 PM

"Animal Companions are the divine equivalent of a familiar." Really?

Animal Companions have decent combat skills, familiars...don't.

Eldariel
2010-07-22, 07:59 PM
Familiars make for great secondary skill monkeys and spellcasters/UMDers though. And good company. Indeed, my Gestalt Arena Ranger traded her AC for Familiar and spends much of her time outside the arena talking to her rat. That can talk back.

Anyways, want AC, get one (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a). Of course, not as good as Druid's and in no ways Cleric-specific, but there you go.

Amphetryon
2010-07-22, 07:59 PM
The Feat is Wild Cohort (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a). It is available online, but not from Complete Divine. There's no statement in CDivine that I recall that equates a familiar and a companion explicitly.