PDA

View Full Version : A little disapointed as to how scripted...

OskarderDrachen
2010-07-20, 01:45 AM
...everything is.

I was thinking gladiators were always a little more, well, spontaneous or "off the cuff" if you will.

Bongos
2010-07-20, 01:51 AM
Gladiators are probably the most hackneyed plot device ever. From Spartacus, to Star Trek to The Gladiator and even Samurai Jack getting in on it....

Maximum Zersk
2010-07-20, 07:02 PM
Hey, Gladiator was okay. :smalltongue:

I don't mind it, really.

Scarlet Knight
2010-07-20, 08:55 PM
I actually forgot how many great sword and sandal movies I used to watch as a kid. They all started to flood back with this comic.

veti
2010-07-20, 09:31 PM
Yeah, Gladiator was - okay. Spartacus was a fine movie. Even Star Trek wasn't bad, given its era and budget.

Gladiators became hackneyed precisely because they make for good movies. Or to be more specific, they make for a good movie. Unfortunately the drama of their lives is both obvious and short, and once you've made that movie, all that's really left to do is - make it again, only with more CGI.

Cliches become cliches because they're good.

Boogastreehouse
2010-07-20, 10:13 PM

Or because they're cheap to make.

Dr.Epic
2010-07-20, 10:50 PM

Classics become classics because they're good.

Cliches become cliches because they're overused and trite.

Bongos
2010-07-21, 01:13 AM
Well I liked all of them, Gladiator, Star Trek and Spartacus, it's just the gladiator theme that is played out. The theme is in plenty of crappy movies too, and I think that's kind of the point of the last comic, that the gladiator theme is sooooo played out. I mean has there been anything original done with it?

Ancalagon
2010-07-21, 01:31 AM
...everything is.

Don't complain before you have seen it.

I bet the story won't unfold as "cliche" as outlined. And what was outlined makes fun about gladiator-movies.

OskarderDrachen
2010-07-21, 02:48 AM
Don't complain before you have seen it.

I bet the story won't unfold as "cliche" as outlined. And what was outlined makes fun about gladiator-movies.

Oh, I realise that there will be the twist that I have grown to love! The attention to detail is nice too, different oils for different hides and the rest. I'm not sure about the rebuff of the Amorous Noblewoman though. I don't think I've ever seen an *actual* rebuff. One that wasn't just a set-up for a close conference about escaping anyway.

I wonder if the cast-eye-and-scar is just a prosthesis?

Scarlet Knight
2010-07-21, 12:31 PM
Has anyone played out a gladiator arena with your party?

How well did it go?

How did you set up the levels of their opponents?

drengnikrafe
2010-07-21, 01:37 PM
Sort of. A gladiator battle was involved.

How well did it go?
Some people died. Some people lived. My party's residual warrior loved rousing the crowd by doing cool things and getting the bonuses. Just like it's outlined in the back of CW.

They were equal in level to the PCs. It seemed appropriate. They did, however, fight one on one.

Dr.Epic
2010-07-21, 02:04 PM

How well did it go?

Not so much a gladiator arena as a martial duel and the loser would have been healed. I use contests like these a lot for adventures.

veti
2010-07-21, 05:42 PM
Classics become classics because they're good.

Cliches become cliches because they're overused and trite.

Yeah, but how do they become "overused"?

People look at them and say "Hey, way cool! We should totally rip that off!"

If something is a cliche, that is in itself strong evidence that it was, at least at one time, considered "good".

Dr.Epic
2010-07-21, 11:28 PM
Yeah, but how do they become "overused"?

People look at them and say "Hey, way cool! We should totally rip that off!"

If something is a cliche, that is in itself strong evidence that it was, at least at one time, considered "good".

Problem is that half the time they're saying "Hey, way cool!" it's in fact not cool, clever, or witty. (I'm looking at you Seth McFarlane)

Ancalagon
2010-07-22, 02:14 AM
Oh, I realise that there will be the twist that I have grown to love!

Serious question: about what were you complaining, then? This question is actually: What is the thing we are supposed to talk about about?
You complained (first post and title) about the bad scripting, but now just said you are very aware it will not happen in that "badly scripted way" and even if it does, it will be more interesting than just that.

OskarderDrachen
2010-07-22, 02:44 AM
Serious question: about what were you complaining, then? This question is actually: What is the thing we are supposed to talk about about?
You complained (first post and title) about the bad scripting, but now just said you are very aware it will not happen in that "badly scripted way" and even if it does, it will be more interesting than just that.

It was not a complaint!

It was more of an attempt at a humorous pseudo-critique. The opening of a conversation about the strip, gladiators in general, and the unfolding of the plot specifically, and interestingly...

That Belkar immediately fulfilled the gladiator-narrated script in the scripted gladiator plot after he wasn't really listening anyway was a good touch in particular. Very circular. :smallsmile: