PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Monster - Wrothor: The Forsaken Forebears [PEACH]

Venardhi
2010-07-20, 04:35 AM
The Dwarves are well known for the reverence with which they honor their ancestors, but not all are so fondly remembered. Some fall so far from the grace of their people and their god that they find themselves unwelcome even within the sight of their creator. Though not always evil, these beings have all committed acts so vile in the eyes of Moradin that they might rouse his fury. Such creatures are unmade back into the stone and iron from which they were originally forged. A particularly willful soul, unwilling to accept final death, might twist his unmaking into an earthly abomination by spending generations gathering the raw minerals of his stony tomb together by pure force of will and righteous indignation into a body through which he might exact his revenge. Such a blight is the Wrothor.

http://www.venardhi.com/sketches/wrothor.jpg

Though in time it shall inevitably forget its mortal life, the Wrothor is always drawn to important places from his Dwarven existence. Because it can take millennia for its wrathful reincarnation to be complete these are often ruins by the time the Wrothor returns, but it will nevertheless delight in destroying every sign of even these vestiges -and any living thing that might cross its path.

A Wrothor continues to gather raw materials into its form for as long as it survives, adding extra limbs and enough jagged mass to shift mountains above it in time. It is rumored that lesser Wrothor may even be consumed by greater in the rare instance they should meet, eventually becoming a creature so powerful in its stature and unbound hatred it may make even Moradin pause. . .

Now is where I run into trouble, I've never designed a creature from scratch before, so I'm hoping for some input before I go into the maths and stat this fella out proper.

Lesser Wrothor:

Undead
(Earth Subtype)

HD: 8-10(?)

Size 15, reach 10.

Darkvision 60 ft.

Tremorsense 60 ft.

Takes half damage from any divine spells from servants of Moradin.

Cannot be forcefully separated from the earth via any known means.

Earth Glide: A Wrothor can glide through stone and earth as easily as a fish through water at its normal base speed, or through natural metal deposits at half speed. This burrowing leaves no tunnel or hole, and creates no disturbance other than a faint scraping sound.(Listen DC:?) When returning to the surface, the Wrothor is considered flat footed for the remainder of the round but any creatures within its reach must make a (reflex?) save to avoid being knocked prone by the force of its surfacing. Burrowing, moving and surfacing is considered a full action. The Wrothor may also choose to remain burrowed until its next turn, but is forced back to the surface to fight by its powerful rage. After surfacing, the Wrothor cannot return into the earth for 4 rounds.

Rock and a Hard Place: Three times a day, the Wrothor can sacrifice its first and second melee attacks for a bone-breaking double-attack upon one target in an adjacent square. This attack is taken at -6 its full attack bonus. If successful, it crushes the target between two great stone hands for (t) damage per round and deals 2 ability damage to dexterity per round. This damage continues for 3 rounds, or until the target makes a fortitude save of (d) or an escape artist save of (q).

Great Grinder: A Wrothor can give up any or all of its melee attacks per round to instead attack from beneath its enemies with a violent explosion of jagged stone. For each attack it sacrifices, the Wrothor deals (x) damage to all creatures within 20 feet. If the Wrothor sacrifices all 4 melee attacks, Great Grinder deals an extra (y) damage and characters must make a saving throw of (z) or else fall prone.

Deep Fury: When below 25 HP, the Wrothor begins to self destruct in anger, it can no longer use any attack other than a full attack with all four fists which now has a +h to hit and does an extra (r) damage but permanently destroys that limb. For each limb disabled, the Wrothor's natural AC drops by (g) and it begins to shake as if experiencing an earthquake. If the Wrothor survives to the end of the round, it will explode, dealing (s) damage to all within its range.

Im aiming for a CR of somewhere between 8-12. I'll probably develop a 'Greater' version for a CR 16-20 range once I get this one nailed down.

Please share your thoughts, criticisms, suggestions, questionable fetishes and insults regarding the concept, abilities, illustration, etc.

- Vin

DracoDei
2010-07-20, 10:55 AM
A creature can only have one base type usually. The usual way of making things that blur the line is to stat them as one type, then give them the subtype(s) "Augmented <Other Type>" and special qualities that add in traits of those other types. In this case I would use Undead, and then give it whatever elemental traits you still need to (which might not be much, since most or all of the mechanical effects of the Elemental type are also part of the undead type). Of course, they would still have the Earth subtype.

Contradiction of names between "Great Grinder" and "Stone Fury" also, the way you have worded it almost sounds like it is a ring shape, that DOES NOT include the area the creature can normally reach.

"Standard Melee Attack" could be confusing, since it might be seen as meaning an "attack" as opposed to a "full attack".

Morph Bark
2010-07-20, 12:07 PM
If you want to combine traits of Undead and Elementals: Libris Mortis has the Necromental template which you might like.

Venardhi
2010-07-20, 12:14 PM
Thanks folks, I'll do some rewriting when I get back from work tonight.

Venardhi
2010-07-20, 10:19 PM
Fixed/Tweaked a few things. I'd be especially interested in how you feel the abilities' mechanics would work in a realistic fight. I've been tempted to give him some sort of boulder throw or the like to help him get at the squishies.