PDA

View Full Version : Help with crafty Artificer

veovius
2010-07-20, 04:45 AM
Heh, pun intended.....

I'm DMing a game with a crafter in it for the first time. I didn't realize how annoying they could be! My friend, an artificer is trying to create a crossbow-style item to sit on his shoulder and fire a crossbow bolt on command at a target. Here's a copy-paste from the email he sent me :

6. Item Launcher (Heavy Bolter)
Base price: 1000GP
BodySlot: Shoulder(1 side)
CL: 1
Aura: Faint Transmutation DC 17
Activation: Standard (Command)
Weight: 5 lbs
Magic of Faerun P.105
XPcost: 80
GPcost: 500
Days to craft: 2
Item effect: A 10 shot replacable
magazine loaded with heavy crossbow
bolts
Firing: Standard or fullround action
for multiple ranged attacks
reloading: free action for shots in
magazine, changing magazines is a
full round action.
Damage: is as heavy crossbow 1D10
Range is 400 feet.

-----

I think he's using the spell "Launch Item" from Magic of Faerun as a base. Just by the numbers, it looks like it should cost at least 1800gp, plus more for unusual body slot. Plus only getting 1 attack a round from using a command word. As an item as a whole, I think it's pretty powerful. Any idea how I should price it or nerf it?

----
Edit : As a side, he also asked about making items that give feats, or special abilities like sneak attack (or bonuses to them). Is there price guide for that somewhere?

FelixG
2010-07-20, 04:54 AM
i might be missing something but how is 1d10 once a round too powerful?

Seems like a fun little item and if he can do 1d10 a round (instead of more with a normal repeating crossbow at higher levels, whats the problem?

also he may have picked up some of the artisan feats to lower the costs, or he may be playing with the CL

veovius
2010-07-20, 07:58 PM
1d10 to 400 feet with no penalty? That's a heavy crossbow with more than Far Shot, I think. As far as cost goes, I think the base price there is the market price, but I could be wrong.

Boci
2010-07-20, 08:01 PM
1d10 to 400 feet with no penalty? That's a heavy crossbow with more than Far Shot, I think.

How often is combat taking place more than 50ft away? It should not be a problem.

As far as cost goes, I think the base price there is the market price, but I could be wrong.

With an XP cost equal to 1/25 the price, the cost would be the cost to create the item. Market price would double that.

Edit : As a side, he also asked about making items that give feats, or special abilities like sneak attack (or bonuses to them). Is there price guide for that somewhere?

For sneak attack there is the rogue's vest in PHII. I think its around 11k. Feats with little or no preqs are generally valaued at 10k.

The Shadowmind
2010-07-20, 08:18 PM
1d10 to 400 feet with no penalty? That's a heavy crossbow with more than Far Shot, I think. As far as cost goes, I think the base price there is the market price, but I could be wrong.

Warlock, eldritch spear invocation, horizon goggles. 375ft standard action attack, no ammo needed, effects can be added for eldritch essence invocations, and higher damage xd6.

Isn't there a homunculus in Magic of Eberron that is basically a crossbow that sits on the shoulder?

veovius
2010-07-20, 08:21 PM
Warlock, eldritch spear invocation, horizon goggles. 375ft standard action attack, no ammo needed, effects can be added for eldritch essence invocations, and higher damage xd6.

That is worth far more than 1000gp, IMHO.

Isn't there a homunculus in Magic of Eberron that is basically a crossbow that sits on the shoulder?

Yeah, but he's not high enough level to build it, I think.

Boci
2010-07-20, 08:27 PM
That is worth far more than 1000gp, IMHO.

It is, he was just showing you that getting good damage with no range penalties is not that hard, or particularly powerful.

FelixG
2010-07-20, 08:30 PM
1d10 at 400 feet for a standard action isnt overpowered though, its fairly tame and just a fun little weapon

Greenish
2010-07-20, 08:34 PM
Edit : As a side, he also asked about making items that give feats, or special abilities like sneak attack (or bonuses to them). Is there price guide for that somewhere?Assassination is a +1 weapon enhancement that essentially gives you Poison Use and 1d6 SA (and increases the poison's DC).

Least Crystal of Return gives you Quick Draw for 300 gp.

Quick Loading is +1 weapon enhancement that gives you Quick Reload.

There is no general pricing guide for magical items. MiC mentions specifically avoiding one and suggest just eyeballing it.

The Shadowmind
2010-07-20, 08:37 PM
It is, he was just showing you that getting good damage with no range penalties is not that hard, or particularly powerful.

Exactly what I was meaning. The horizon goggles are 8,000gp the rest are class features. But simply 1d10 is pretty weak at levels above 3, even with that distance. And, the distance only matters if the player gets a chance to snipe.