PDA

View Full Version : I could have sworn that I saw it around here... (3.5)

The-Mage-King
2010-07-20, 08:51 AM
Yeah... I was looking around here a while ago, and I think I saw a way to get an Archivist Arcane spells.

Know anything about it?

Telonius
2010-07-20, 09:10 AM
Two methods as far as I know.

Method #1: Greater Anyspell. Spell Domain spell. Gives you any arcane spell up to 5th level, cast as a divine spell in a 6th-level slot.
Method #2: Alternative Source Spell. Metamagic feat from Dragon, allows you to prepare a Divine Spell as an Arcane Spell and vice versa, at -1 caster level. (Prereq: ability to cast both arcane and divine spells).

Depending on the level of cheese you're comfortable with adding, you can get Method #2 without actually taking levels in an arcane casting class (i.e. Dragonwrought Kobold, Innate Magic feat from Dragon, Magical Training feat from Player's Guide to Faerun).

*EDIT: Note that this advice is awful, awful cheese. It will give the Archivist access to basically every spell in the game.

The-Mage-King
2010-07-20, 09:14 AM
Alright, thanks...

It's for a campaign I might be playing in this fall, and the DM said "Break the game and you get at least a 75% xp penalty"...

So... I'll keep the cheese to a minimum.

Telonius
2010-07-20, 09:23 AM
In that case, I'd avoid trying to get too much, except possibly Anyspell. Stick with Domain Spells. Most of the really good Wizard spells are also in some god or other's domain. Even in Core, Travel and Trickery are good for some of these. Crystalkeep has a list of over 100 domains, complete with the spells for each. If it's a Wizard spell you want, you'll probably find it in there.

Gnaeus
2010-07-20, 09:57 AM
There is also the divine bard variant. If that is in play all the bard spells are easy.

Kythorian
2010-07-20, 11:51 AM
If your DM is insane. And I mean bat**** insane. There is something called Southern Magician, or something like that, that can cast wizard spells as divine spells several times a day. And therefore can give their entire spell-list to an archivist.

Edit: Its in races of faerun, if i remember correctly.

But if your DM wants you to keep the cheese to a minimum, avoid this...archivists are broken enough with just cleric, druid, paladin, any wizard spells on a domain list, etc spells...add ALL arcane spells and it just gets stupid.

Fouredged Sword
2010-07-20, 12:05 PM
I think you just need one level of arcane casting, and then take geomancer. It will let you really blur the line between arcane and devine to the point that you can cast arcane spells in armor and do other crazyness. I don't have the book right now, so I am not sure it would work, but it would be an interesting place to look.

EDIT: it can be done!

Yes but it would take some serious sillyness. Ten levels of geomancer would let you cast and prepare any arcane spell you can cast as a divine spells, and therefor able to be used to create divine scrolls.

So I am thinking that you take leadership and let your cohort be a wizard 3 / favored soul 1 / geomancer 10 advancing wizard casting / wizard 4. He would need versitle spellcaster for early entry. Now the cohort can create divine versions of every spell on the wizard spell list for you to copy out of his spellbook.

But, seriously, stick to having a single casting of anyspell on your daily list. It's nice, but you have bigger guns on your list that do the same thing, but more. It can be explained that it is simply a lower level, but less capable version of Miracle.