PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] To Hunt A Bounty (I need fear effects!)

Dr Bwaa
2010-07-20, 09:20 AM
My gaming group has dwindled in membership for the moment, so I'll be playing just one campaign (pretty much) for the moment, and I want the playground's help because I'm honestly at a loss as to what to do with this character (we just hit level 6). Skip to The Goal if you don't want background.

The Situation:
It's a two-player Bounty Hunter campaign. My partner and I work for the BHs' Guild in Yartar (FR). We need to be able to hunt bounties. We have a small cadre of NPC assistants/companions (explained in Characters) who rent from us and assist in our exploits (and are both, naturally, wanted criminals).

The Characters:
NPCs:
Flanoyr of Amn - rogue/wizard? The party alchemist. He is wanted for stealing some 250,000gp worth of reagents and potions from an affluent Amnish wizard with Nightsong Guild protection, and has been on the run from said guild for 30-odd years.
Elincia D'Margret - A beguiler who saved our behinds with no provocation after Lucidian went on a murderous rampage through a Gnomish carnival (they stole 6gp, 1sp, and 5cp from him, so he rallied a mob and killed every single one of the Gnomes). We just "rushed (http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/370600-diablo-ii-lord-of-destruction/faqs/44384)" her to get her Guild membership--and protection, since she is also a fugitive and a wanted member (kind of) of the nightsong guild. We keep her around for being more useful than not, so far.

PCs:
Lucidian della Nostre Salambisium XIV Esq. - A swashbuckler specializing in the rapier and spiked bolas, Lucidian is something of a gentleman adventurer (http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20031008) (though he is also well and truly evil). He's always a hit with the ladies and has a golden tongue rivaled only by Elincia's.
Dale (me) - Statted as a human LE Paladin of Malar, Dale's insight balances Lucidian's sweet talk. In combat he uses a trident and shield, with javelins for range and the scariest-looking knife he can find (currently a kukri) for close-quarters. Based heavily on Jubal Early (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Firefly_characters#Jubal_Early) (the Firefly bounty hunter, not the confederate general). He's a bounty hunter because he loves the thrill of the hunt--specifically, the fear in his bounty's eyes. However, he does not currently have any way (besides intimidate) to mechanically express this. This is where you, the Playground, come in (see below). Otherwise, here's some basic build information about him.
Stats: STR 18, DEX 10, CON 16, INT 13, WIS 14, CHA 18
Class Levels: Paladin 5 (Charging Smite)
Feats: (FR Regional: Bullheaded), Power Attack, Quick Draw, [retraining a feat]
Skills: Intimidate +15, Sense Motive +10
Slightly-out-of-date character sheet if you want more info (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=193401).

The Goal:
We're leveling up to level 6. I'm not taking Paladin six because ugh :smallannoyed:, but I don't want to lose the functionality of the things I have (Lay on Hands, Smite, etc) if possible. So I'm looking for two things: two feats (one from level six and one from retraining) and a class (alignment restrictions will probably be waived; homebrew is okay). The goal here is to maximize fear effects and role-playing utility while keeping the best Paladin features if possible. We're badly under WBL (we're leveling to level six and I just got enough money to buy mundane full-plate :smallconfused:), which is a situation that will almost certainly continue, so recommendations that don't require a lot of wealth expenditure would also be nice.

Fouredged Sword
2010-07-20, 01:28 PM
Resounding Blow from, of all places, BoED fits the concept. Anyone your crit on is forced to make a save vs Cower based on your cha mod and HD. It will work great if that kukri is keen. It may be a good idea to switch the trident for a keen scimitar though if you go this route. A 30% chance to foce a foe to save VS cower is great as you are attacking anyway. I assume you already have power attack, 7 ranks in intimidate, and a str of 13.

Take the skill trick never outnumbered from Complete Scoundrel for the ability to intimidate more than one target per action.

Also the very simply stated frightful presence feat from the draconomicon. Whenever you attack in combat it forces a 30ft radius fear effect that forces a save VS shaken. If they make thier save they are immune though, and it only works on targets with HD lower than you. It works great on mobs of minions though as you can then use your next action to panic them all. You need a cha of 15 and 9 ranks in intimdate.

I would get all three if you can. Cost 2 skill points and 2 feats.

If you want to be really, really mean to your DM there is a great class for cheezeing Resounding Blow. It is disciple of Dispater. The best bet is to take enough levels of fighter to gain the Improved Critical feat, then you go disciple of Dispater for 8 levels. At the 4th level of disciple of Dispater you don't need keen anymore and the crit range in that scimitar is 12-20. At 8th level it changes to 9-20. Yes, you can crit 60% of all attacks, and each of them forces your oponent to save vs cower!

There is the fluff requierment of worshiping Dispater, but your DM sounds nice enough to let you take the class anyway. It's in BoVD.

Escheton
2010-07-20, 02:18 PM
Step 1: Swap those pal lvls for paladin of tyrany lvls or just go blackguard if you happen to have the feats.
Step 2: Dread witch or just plain dread necro. Bit late game to start this, but with that lvl6 feat you could take tombtainted soul. Might be fun. Unlimited free healing is handy. With that extra feat you could take one of the feats that give a fearsome aura of sorts. Which one would depend on if you mind it being always on or not and if you need to tackle foes that are higher hd then you.

Or: Take a ranger lvl to be more of a tracker, then take the bloodhound prestige.

Totally subop, but shunted for actual usefull suggestions at the moment.

Morph Bark
2010-07-20, 02:21 PM
If ToB is allowed, a level of Crusader would do that Paladin good, especially since you could take up to level 2 maneuvers as long as you meet their prerequisites.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-07-20, 04:49 PM
Fear Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=3809.0)

Disclaimer: haven't read it, but I was just lurking at the handbookc forum of BG.

Also there is a feat Imperious Comand... I think in drow of the underdark that makes your enemies cower if you can succesfully intimidate..... poking around for Takahashi (that was the name of the (in)famous CW samurai build that Schneky posted rihgt?) build might be worthwhile if you want to keep to the buid fear based.