PDA

View Full Version : Random Musings on Master of Shadow

Amphetryon
2010-07-20, 09:36 AM
Master of Shadow is in Tome of Magic, page 121. Funnily enough, it's in the section on Shadowcasters. I've been poking at it, trying to come up with a way to make it work that's interesting and unusual. What follows is a series of questions and general speculations. Positive input toward the creation of that interesting and unusual character is always appreciated.

1) Shadowcasters have specific verbiage in their Prestige Class section allowing Mysteries to count as Spells exclusively for the Mystic Theurge PrC. Is it a reasonable houserule to extend that allowance to the Arcane Heirophant PrC from Races of The Wild (p.108)? Why, or why not?

2) If yes, how does the Shadow Familiar Feat (ToM 138) interact with the Companion Familiar ability from Arcane Heirophant? Are they at all compatible?

3) If the answer to any of the above is 'no,' is there a viable alternative that you can see to closely emulate a 'Companion Familiar Shadow Servant?'

Optimystik
2010-07-20, 12:06 PM
1) Shadowcasters have specific verbiage in their Prestige Class section allowing Mysteries to count as Spells exclusively for the Mystic Theurge PrC. Is it a reasonable houserule to extend that allowance to the Arcane Heirophant PrC from Races of The Wild (p.108)? Why, or why not?

I say no, because druids just don't have a very strong connection to the Plane of Shadow at all. Clerics are slightly stronger because (a) there are plenty of shadow deities, and (b) lots of undead live there.

Nothing on the PoS is natural, therefore there is no nature.

3) If the answer to any of the above is 'no,' is there a viable alternative that you can see to closely emulate a 'Companion Familiar Shadow Servant?'

Slap the Dark template on your Familiar Companion.

Morph Bark
2010-07-20, 12:26 PM
Nothing on the PoS is natural, therefore there is no nature.

The 9th-level spell Shadow Landscape (I believe that's the correct name) is a Druid spell though, interesting enough.

Sydonai
2010-07-20, 01:10 PM
The Plane of Shadow is a "Reflection" of the natural world, I can see a Shadar-Kai trying to become a druid.

(if there can Aberrant druids(twisting/mutation of the natrural world) then there can be Shadow druids)

Lord Vampyre
2010-07-20, 01:10 PM
Shadows are a part of nature. The elemental planes all feed into the prime material plane. There is a shadow elemental in one of the monster manuals, unfortunately I'm at work and don't have time to look it up. This implies that the plane of shadow, although a demiplane within the ethereal plane, is one of the smaller elemental planes.

It can be reasoned that a druid would see shadows as the balance between the light and dark, like nature is the balance between life and death. Yes, it should be possible for you to justify mixing the Shadowcaster with a Druid in the Arcane Heirophant.

Like Optimystik said, just apply the dark template to your companion familiar.

arguskos
2010-07-20, 01:16 PM
Shadows are a part of nature. The elemental planes all feed into the prime material plane. There is a shadow elemental in one of the monster manuals, unfortunately I'm at work and don't have time to look it up. This implies that the plane of shadow, although a demiplane within the ethereal plane, is one of the smaller elemental planes.
Your understanding of the planar cosmology pains me physically. Allow me to hold your head under the putrescent waters of knowledge for a moment. :smallsmile:

1. The Plane of Shadow is not a "demiplane within the ethereal plane". It is a full plane in its own right, as is well-explained in multiple sources (Manual of the Planes comes to mind).

2. Shadow Elementals, from Tome of Magic in the Shadowcaster section, are creatures of the Elemental type. This doesn't mean they must specifically come from an elemental plane, as not all elemental-type creatures do.

3. The Plane of Shadow is NOT an elemental plane, as it's not one of the Inner Planes (where all the elemental, para-elemental, and quasi-elemental planes are located). Period. Again, this is well-clarified in the Manual of the Planes, the Planar Handbook, and probably some other sources if I cared to go check.

There! And now we know. :smallsmile:

EDIT: Hey right, OP had some queries. In order:
1. Eh. I personally don't care one way or the other. I can see arguments both ways.

2. No idea.

3. Opti hit this one fine: Dark template.