PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 flying rules

salasis
2010-07-20, 10:32 AM
I'm a druid with wild shape. I want to explore the possibility of flying around with people. Either snatching bad guys and dropping them or just for transportation purposes. I understand that the rule is that you can only fly with a light load. However, i read in a post on a different forum that because a cloaker is a large creature with a strength of 21 it can fly while carrying 600 lbs.
Normally i would simply think the assertion was flawed, however, their was lots of nitpicking over other aspects of the thread and it was never mentioned. Am i missing something?

The Dark Fiddler
2010-07-20, 10:37 AM
Your size gives you a modifier to carrying capacity. Can't remember what they are off the top of my head.

Telonius
2010-07-20, 10:40 AM
Large is X2 to capacity. However, Cloaker is an Aberration, not an Animal. So unless you have a specific ability to ignore the normal rules, you can't Wildshape into it.

EDIT: Also, STR 21 has a normal carrying capacity of 153lb, so a Cloaker could carry a maximum of 306lb and still be able to fly.

salasis
2010-07-20, 11:05 AM
Thank you Telonius. The information on the cloaker was in a polymorph thread I just assumed similar flying rules applied to aberrations and animals. I didn't see that modifier in the books but it seems reasonable. If anyone else has suggestions as to how to make this a viable option i would love to hear them.
I suppose i could do something like natural spell and bulls strength but i would hoping to to have to burn a spell for so little of a boost.

Keld Denar
2010-07-20, 11:26 AM
Belt of the Wide Earth doubles your carrying capacity. If a druid had one with a Wilding Clasp, he could carry over 600 lbs while using Aberrant Wildshape to take Cloaker form.

Just sayin...

Darrin
2010-07-20, 03:33 PM
I'm a druid with wild shape. I want to explore the possibility of flying around with people. Either snatching bad guys and dropping them or just for transportation purposes. I understand that the rule is that you can only fly with a light load. However, i read in a post on a different forum that because a cloaker is a large creature with a strength of 21 it can fly while carrying 600 lbs.
Normally i would simply think the assertion was flawed, however, their was lots of nitpicking over other aspects of the thread and it was never mentioned. Am i missing something?

There's a problem with the rules for flying. The rules say you can move at your indicated flight speed if you're carrying a light load. The rules never explicitly state what happens if you are not carrying a light load. It's not entirely clear if you move at a reduced rate (at the speed you would normally move while encumbered) or if you just drop out of the sky as soon as you go over your carrying limit.

Most of the methods for gaining flight state somewhere whether or not you can fly while encumbered and at what speed. At least, most of the fly spells do. Dragonborn of Bahumat or Improved Dragon Wings (RotD) state that you can't fly with a medium/heavy load, but make no mention of armor. Outsider Wings (RoF) let you fly with a medium/heavy load, but at a reduced speed. A creature with a flight speed usually states under the ability description under what conditions and speeds they can fly. There isn't a heckuva lot of consistency to any of it.

If you gained flight via some method that doesn't explicitly state what happens when you fly with a medium/heavy load... there is *nothing* in the SRD/rules that states what happens. It's a DM call.

Sarquion
2010-07-20, 04:12 PM
It is worth using a few spells up to buff your strength so you can do this it's amaizing fun picking people up in combat and droping them grants you so many bonuses (according to our DM) and great for RP ... also causes a fair amount of damage to the foe.