PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Epic Cohort Help plz

Chanmanm8
2010-07-20, 11:47 AM
Please READ following and stick to topic.

Refrain from long-winded ranting on hating / loving Epic system (lots of houserules and restrictions + case by case DM overruling against Munchkin-playing so stick to topic with the following info on campaign)

3.5 Core books, "Complete X" books, and Races of X allowed. Other material need to ask (other 3.5 material likely to be ok).

Making Rogue Cohort.

1) Starting at 20, (improved cohort feat...Main is 21). First campaign ends at 30th level.
2) Humans highly dominant and thus suggested by DM to be race
*thinking of trying to do Half-elf maybe though so half human, but then I lose bonus feat
3) Each main (mine is a wizard) given Leadership and Epic Leadership for free (with restrictions of course)
4) Heavy HEAVY RP involved: 2 sessions a week
1st session for normal adventure type
2nd always RP session
5) Intent of DM giving us feats is for RP and also fill roles party needs so we can play what we want:
1 Wiz/Archmage (who is my main, True Neutral)
1 Wiz/Sacred Exorcist
1 Radiant Servant of Pelor, and
1 Mage of arcane order OR Ranger/scout (he' still deciding).

Campaign setting: Greyhawk / Standard.

Rogue focused on mobility, stealth, and skills vs making him stealth and assassination style.

Treated as NPC for wealth in DMG (so he gets 220,000 gp, but buffs and items crafted via my Wizard) and 28 point buy for stats

**He CANNOT in any way lose XP other than for himself**

I read http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69065
and http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51980 for some interesting ideas.

19 levels Rogue, 1 level Shadowdancer (hide in plain sight ability):

Many items focusing on speed, skills, and spells/abilities for enhanced stealth, spying, and search/disable/open lock for dungeons and city RP.

Frequent Undead expected. One of the BBEG is badass Necromancer coming for 2nd invasion of Empire due to failed attempt 30 years prior, who worked with an epic Frost Giant leader / chief. another known / expected BBEG is the king's brother who is rogue/arcane trickster, but insanely stealthy and unproven for any crimes. He covets king's throne of course.

So in lieu of the goal design and desire role for action and RP:

I'd want my rogue with high mobility, skill, and survivability. I'll buff him so he's not totally useless in combat, but not some super ninja / Kill Bill character/ assassin etc.

Advice on feats / tips in this style?

What I've considered so far:
-Definitely will, and always want, Skill Mastery special ability for taking 10's even when stress / distractions disallow.
-a number of "skill tricks" from Complete Scoundrel: cost is 2 skill points each gaining 1 per level, and max tricks known allowed is 1/2 Character level.

Skill Tricks on drawing board (can only have 10):
1)Opening Tap: open a lock as a swift action (won't take -20 penalty)
2)Quick Escape
3)Whip Climber: Use whip as a grappling hook (fun and flavor)
4)Listen to This: Perfectly repeat what you've recently heard (RP use)
5)Point it Out: Grant ally a free spot check to see something you've spotted
6)Extreme Leap: Horizontal Jump of at least 10 feet allows 10 extra feet of movement that round
7)Leaping Climber: Add jump distance to start of climb
8)Up the Hill: Move up slope or stairs at normal speed
9)Wall Jump: Leap from a wall as if making a running jump
10)Slipping Past: Move into tight space without penalty
11)Corner Perch: Perch on chimney or corner to leave hands free?
12)Clever Improviser: Ignore disable device and open lock check penalties made without tools

Feats: (not allowed to take flaws for 2 more...only main can do that)
-Weapon Finesse
-Savvy Rogue (C. Scoundrel): improve special abilities from rogue class
-Tactile Traptician (C. Scou): use dex modifier for search and disable
-Agile Athlete (Races of the Wild): allows dex for jump and climb
-Darkstalker:Lets you Hide, even if your enemy has scent, tremorsense, see invisibility, etc. Great for builds that can pick up Hide in Plain Sight. From Lords of Madness. (would be great, but might not be allowed due to source...)
-Craven: add character level to sneak attack
-Staggering Strike: lets you apply staggering debuff to anything you SA; allows fort save = total dmg...nice combo with Craven
-Improved initiative
-Dragonfire Strike: Turn sneak attacks into energy so they can be applied to undead, plants, etc.
-Undo Resistance: sneak attacks lower Spell Resistance. A couple threads suggest for high level campaigns
-Some of the bow feats for range utility.

Not intending to take all, but some of the combat.
Just some of the things I had been going over, studying and planning, but would like some suggestions :smallsmile:

Again, no ranting about epic system (lots of restrictive houserules and common sense by DM to overrule any game breaking / munchkin playing)

Keeping that in mind, my wizard will provide buffs when able, though I expect parts (especially in RP session) where rogue will be sent off to recon / spy.

I try to assume countermeasures for worst case scenarios such as anti-magic zones disabling his Shadowdancer hide in plain sight and items with bonuses to his skill and speed (I plan to have him have an antimagic field item with maybe a couple charges a day for small defense vs. magic in cases).

Items: Gold value for him is as NPC in DMG (220,000 at 20th...240k at 21st).
Starting items from existing items in DMG and ELH ONLY. Others can be created once game session has started.
-Can combine existing items in DMG, but require proper recalculation of costs via rules in DMG.

Oh and I'm intending him to be True Neutral.