PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]Question about familiars

Ghastly
2010-07-20, 12:01 PM
I just started a campaign with a friend of mine in a particularly underpowered party, and I'm playing somewhat of a gish (wizard/fighter/eldritch knight, taking Keeper of the Cerulean Sign in a bit, for the RP value :smalltongue:). I have the Improved Familiar feat, and snagged a Celestial Hawk.

So, my friend the DM was convinced that familiars can cast from their master's spell list. The only rules I've read that could even me misconstrued for that is that they can share spells cast on the master, and can deliver touch attacks. Where did he get that? I just want to make sure I'm not missing out. :smallamused:

Also, what's a good way to make sure my familiar can actually do some damage? His only attack does 1d4 -2. I also read about a warmage with a griffon for a familiar in one of the Forgotten Realms novels (The Haunted Lands trilogy). Is that possible with Improved Familiar, or is that something else?

Prodan
2010-07-20, 12:06 PM
Your DM is wrong.

Kuzimu
2010-07-20, 12:09 PM
Sure you aren't thinking Hippogriff? I think that's available at level 7 with Improved Familiar.

Ghastly
2010-07-20, 12:12 PM
Sure you aren't thinking Hippogriff? I think that's available at level 7 with Improved Familiar.

Nope, definately a griffon. (http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Aoth_Fezim)

AdalKar
2010-07-20, 12:13 PM
A Hippogriff is available at CL 7 and BAB 7 with the Improved Familiar Feat. (Complete Warrior p.100)

Coplantor
2010-07-20, 12:17 PM
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19870010/The_Familiars_Handbook_--_2007

There, the best guide on familiars ever.

If you have the improved familiar feat and want the familiar to dish out some damage you should get one with hands, that way you can give him weapons, if humanoid, it can also wear armor.

Snake-Aes
2010-07-20, 12:30 PM
So, my friend the DM was convinced that familiars can cast from their master's spell list. The only rules I've read that could even me misconstrued for that is that they can share spells cast on the master, and can deliver touch attacks. Where did he get that? I just want to make sure I'm not missing out. :smallamused:

Also, what's a good way to make sure my familiar can actually do some damage? His only attack does 1d4 -2. I also read about a warmage with a griffon for a familiar in one of the Forgotten Realms novels (The Haunted Lands trilogy). Is that possible with Improved Familiar, or is that something else?

There are feats that allow you to "spend" some spell slots to let the familiar cast them later.
Baseline? Familiars can't cast spells.

Fhaolan
2010-07-20, 12:47 PM
Since they share skills, they can use UMD... I think.

Snake-Aes
2010-07-20, 12:51 PM
Since they share skills, they can use UMD... I think.

Yes, they can. It's the main reason to get Imp familiars, they have hands to manipulate wands and scrolls. Invisibility and Regeneration are the spice.

Ghastly
2010-07-20, 01:01 PM
Ah, alright. Thanks! I'll have to invest in one or two spells power up the familiar, then. Despite its apparent uselessness, I'll keep my celestial hawk (nicknamed my holy pidgeon) and just buff him a bit. :smalltongue:

Snake-Aes
2010-07-20, 01:06 PM
Ah, alright. Thanks! I'll have to invest in one or two spells power up the familiar, then. Despite its apparent uselessness, I'll keep my celestial hawk (nicknamed my holy pidgeon) and just buff him a bit. :smalltongue:

An elemental can do too. The Elemental Familiar (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/sb/sb20011109a) spell gives you a tiny one if you don't want to burn a feat on Imp Familiar. They're just too cute.

2010-07-20, 04:10 PM
An elemental can do too. The Elemental Familiar (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/sb/sb20011109a) spell gives you a tiny one if you don't want to burn a feat on Imp Familiar. They're just too cute.

It's funny that there's a spell that does the work of a feat here, but there isn't one for Improved Familiar in general. I mean, everyone likes having extra feats. It'd be pretty neat if you could, for instance, summon a demon on-screen instead of just buying the feat off-screen.

Snake-Aes
2010-07-20, 04:14 PM
Improved Familiar lets you get a Small elemental at caster level 5+

2010-07-20, 04:20 PM
Improved Familiar lets you get a Small elemental at caster level 5+

I'd forgotten that, but that's close to what I mean. You can cast the spell and pay the cost, or you can buy the feat. Interesting that the feat requires CL5 and the spell is level 3. I guess you could homebrew something.

Snake-Aes
2010-07-20, 04:22 PM
I'd forgotten that, but that's close to what I mean. You can cast the spell and pay the cost, or you can buy the feat. Interesting that the feat requires CL5 and the spell is level 3. I guess you could homebrew something.

Sure. The caster level doesn't change as you need CL 5 to cast lvl 3 spells.
If you want your familiar only for, say, scouting and delivering touch spells, this spell(for air) surely beats the feat.

Runeclaw
2010-07-20, 05:24 PM
So, my friend the DM was convinced that familiars can cast from their master's spell list

I don't know how hard I'd work to convince him that he's wrong...