PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]Adaptive Style (Tome of Battle question)

Prplcheez
2010-07-20, 12:02 PM
With the feat Adaptive Style from page 28 of the Tome of Battle, do you regain spent maneuvers when you use this feat? For example, if I have used all of my maneuvers during an encounter, can I use the full-round action to regain all of my maneuvers?

Caphi
2010-07-20, 12:09 PM
With the feat Adaptive Style from page 28 of the Tome of Battle, do you regain spent maneuvers when you use this feat? For example, if I have used all of my maneuvers during an encounter, can I use the full-round action to regain all of my maneuvers?

You load anew all maneuvers you can ready. All the slots are filled. If you want to just reload whatever you had readied before, go right ahead. If you want to switch them all out, that's fine too.

Coplantor
2010-07-20, 12:13 PM
You change your prepared maneuvers for the day and you "renew" those new ones.

EDIT: Epically swordsage'd. 4 minutes? What is wrong with me?

kjones
2010-07-20, 12:18 PM
What martial adept wouldn't take this feat?

Prplcheez
EDIT: Epically swordsage'd. 4 minutes? What is wrong with me?

LOL

Thanks to both of you.

Draz74
What martial adept wouldn't take this feat?

A Crusader. :smalltongue:

Even for Warblades it's usually not a super-high priority.

Caphi
2010-07-20, 12:22 PM
Indeed. Warblades have a good reset maneuver and can afford the five minutes to actually change their set. Swordsages don't have any other reset mechanism, so they use Adaptive Style to get one and the reload is just extra.

kjones
2010-07-20, 12:29 PM
Well then, what swordsage wouldn't take that feat?

Reynard
2010-07-20, 12:30 PM
Swordsages don't have any other reset mechanism...

They do, it's just extremely bad.

A full-round action, when a Warblade can do it as a swift+attack, or a crusader who gets then every round? The number of maneuvers Swordsages get is probably meant to balance it, but yeah.

balistafreak
2010-07-20, 12:30 PM

A terrible one/dipper. Trite answer, but probably true.

Draz74
2010-07-20, 12:34 PM
True. Not really worth it for a character with just a dip in Swordsage.

Caphi
2010-07-20, 12:38 PM
They do, it's just extremely bad.

A full-round action, when a Warblade can do it as a swift+attack, or a crusader who gets then every round? The number of maneuvers Swordsages get is probably meant to balance it, but yeah.

Adaptive Style isn't that bad. It's usable in combat if you really really have to. Even out of combat, if you need to get something out, a few seconds (my swordsage does his as a quick breath exercise) is a lot more palatable to the table than five minutes of meditation for each mountain hammer.

What I meant was that they don't have anything built in other than the five minutes thing, and all adepts get that.

Thalnawr
2010-07-20, 12:43 PM
They actually get a full-round action to refresh one maneuver as their baseline, rather than 5 minute meditation.

Keld Denar
2010-07-20, 12:49 PM
If you had Mountain Hammer readied, you could use it every other round to hack through a stone wall, but if you didn't, it would take 5 minutes of meditation/breathing/katas/funkychickendancing to repick your manevuers to get Mountain Hammer readied, THEN you could use it every other round, with a full round action in between to recover that one manevuer.

All Adaptive Style would do in that situation is reduce the 5 minute break to 6 seconds. It wouldn't affect your time in between MH strikes.

Caphi
2010-07-20, 12:53 PM
Oh.

Well, that's still terrible. I probably didn't realize because every single swordsage I've ever played has had Adaptive Style.

Douglas
2010-07-20, 03:22 PM
Very few. There's something of a joke that goes "Swordsages get a class feature called Adaptive Style in place of their level 1 feat."