PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) enchantment and illusion advice

letters
2010-07-20, 12:47 PM
Hello all. I'm playing a beguiler in a new campaign and I'm hoping some of the experts on here can give me some tips on using enchantment and illusion spells. I don't have much experience playing arcane casters but I'm pretty excited about this guy.

Books available: core, phbII, completes (minus the spells from the complete books)

Yora
2010-07-20, 12:53 PM
This (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?PHPSESSID=h6flc0mk5518v457jvvrf7h4t7&topic=2322.0) should healp you a lot in understanding the abilities of a Beguiler and which ones make good choices for you.

Caphi
2010-07-20, 12:55 PM
If I had to pick just one piece of information: Use Advanced Learning to get at least one [Shadow] spell, particularly shadow conjuration. This is critical for you to have something to fall back on when [Mind-Affecting] doesn't work.

Keld Denar
2010-07-20, 01:35 PM
The number one rule of most illusions (specifically Figments such as Silent Image and friends) is that if your foe doesn't interact with the illusion, they never get a save. If you make an illusion of a swooping dragon, almost nobody who doesn't have True Seeing will get a save to disbelieve it. This is especially important for non-intelligent foes. Normally, they are immune to the effects of most illusions, but in this case, a skeleton or such doesn't have the mental faculties to process the difference between a real wall and a fake wall. To it, the wall is a wall, just the same as any other wall, and thus it wouldn't likely interact with the wall. If it never interacts with the wall, it never gets a save or gets to press its immunity on the illusion. Clever use of Silent Image can box in non-intelligent undead, allowing you to divide and conquer them at your leisure.