PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Playable Lizardfolk with racial feats

Faleldir
2010-07-20, 03:22 PM
I think Lizardfolk are my favorite monster race. They look more alien than Tolkien-inspired races without having too many racial traits.
They're also neutral, so they're not walking bags of XP like orcs and goblins, but they're not noble savages either. I like that.

LIZARDFOLK
Type: Natural Humanoid (reptile)
Height: 5'4"-6'0"
Weight: 200lb-230lb
Ability Scores: +2 Srength, +2 Dexterity or Wisdom
Size: Medium
Speed: 6 squares (Swamp Walk)
Vision: Normal
Languages: Common, Draconic
Skill bonuses: +2 Athletics, +2 Nature
Scales: You gain a +1 racial bonus to your AC defense.
Sidestep Attack: You can use Sidestep Attack as an at-will power.

Sidestep Attack
Lizardfolk Racial Power
Useless flavor text.
At-Will
Standard action
Personal
Effect: You shift 1 square and make a melee basic attack.

HEROIC TIER FEATS

Greenscale Sniper
Prerequisites: Lizardfolk, trained in Stealth
Benefit: When you miss with a ranged attack while hidden, you can make a Stealth check to remain hidden.

Lizardfolk Weapon Training
Prerequisites: Lizardfolk
Benefit: You gain proficency and a +2 bonus to damage rolls with all spears and maces.
You treat all spears and maces as high crit weapons.

Tactical Sidestep
Prerequisites: Level 11, Lizardfolk, Leader role
Benefit: When you use your Sidestep Attack racial power, one ally within 5 squares can shift 1 square as an immediate reaction.

Tail Sweep
Prerequisites: Lizardfolk, proficiency bonus to unarmed attacks
Benefit: Once per round, when you hit with an unarmed attack, you can knock the target prone.

PARAGON TIER FEATS

Improved Terrain Walk
Prerequisites: Level 11, Lizardfolk
Benefit: You ignore all types of natural difficult terrain, but not terrain created by powers.

Monstrous Scales
Prerequisites: Level 11, Lizardfolk
Benefit: You gain a +1 bonus to AC and Resist 1 to all damage.

hamishspence
2010-07-20, 04:02 PM
Nice concept. Will there be a lizardfolk-only racial paragon path to match the ones all the other races get in PHB2?

Kamai
2010-07-20, 04:19 PM
It looks kind of nice, but I have a few nitpicks.

First off, a racial power should be usable no matter the class/weapon layout. However, your power is questionable in several characters hands that could make decent use of this race, like an Archery Ranger. It's also bad for someone who doesn't do Strength primary, like a Rogue. It also becomes less useful as you level up except for possibily fighters, who want to boost up or replace a MBA anyway. However, I'm not sure what keeps the flavor and makes it useful.

Your channel divinity powers seem pretty nasty compared to many of them that exist, and an encounter power should really avoid (save ends) without significant restrictions or to allow for ongoing damage.

Tactical Sidestep needs to be moved to Paragon feats, which I think you intended. Greenscale sniper looks better than Rogue utilities that do the same thing (all of which I believe are encounter powers).

To me, the heroic feats seem rather powerful for racial feats, while the race itself feels like it wants just a bit more.

Faleldir
2010-07-20, 04:47 PM
Will there be a lizardfolk-only racial paragon path to match the ones all the other races get in PHB2?
I'm trying to make one, but I can't think of a theme for it. I wish there was more fluff to inspire me.

First off, a racial power should be usable no matter the class/weapon layout. However, your power is questionable in several characters hands that could make decent use of this race, like an Archery Ranger. It's also bad for someone who doesn't do Strength primary, like a Rogue.
Well sure, but who chooses a race with a bonus to a dump stat? I'll make an alternative racial power for Poisonscale Lizardfolk, but it will still be useless to implement-wielders.

Your channel divinity powers seem pretty nasty compared to many of them that exist, and an encounter power should really avoid (save ends) without significant restrictions or to allow for ongoing damage.
You're right. I just copied the MM1 without looking at similar feats. How embarrassing.

Faleldir
2010-08-05, 07:36 PM
Bump.
If I change Tactical Sidestep to be an immediate reaction instead of free, is it still overpowered?