PDA

View Full Version : Advanced Rulebooks

dragonfan6490
2010-07-20, 04:28 PM
Howdy fellow Playgrounders!

So I'm considering purchasing the Advanced Player's Guide from Sword&Sorcery Studios and the Advanced Player's Manual and Gamemaster's Guide from Green Ronin. What I would like to know is what ya'll think of them so I can decide if I want to spend the money to buy them.

So, what do ya'll think of these books? Is there anything that particularly stands out in any of these books? Is there anything bad about them?

Thanks in advance!

Aotrs Commander
2010-07-20, 06:35 PM
Howdy fellow Playgrounders!

So I'm considering purchasing the Advanced Player's Guide from Sword&Sorcery Studios and the Advanced Player's Manual and Gamemaster's Guide from Green Ronin. What I would like to know is what ya'll think of them so I can decide if I want to spend the money to buy them.

So, what do ya'll think of these books? Is there anything that particularly stands out in any of these books? Is there anything bad about them?

Thanks in advance!

I personally thought Sword & Sorcery's advanced players guide was pretty worthless in the end. Their epic progression were laughable, their "new magic" using classes had terrible crunch and the variant rules were simply uninspired at best and very poor at worst (the low-stat based bonuses and high-ability penalty flaws being definately in the latter category. You should not neither be awarded for sucking, and not penalised for being, y'know good at what you do.) I don't use anything out of it, which says something, since I even squeezed some use out of Complete Psionic and Complete Champion...

Can't comment on the others.

Rappy
2010-07-20, 07:38 PM
I'm the exact opposite.

While I cannot speak of the Sword and Sorcery title, I own and recommend the Green Ronin "Advanced" titles. While Advanced Bestiary is my personal favorite, out of the two you mentioned, both are worth it. The Advanced Player's Manual has advanced psionics and alignment rules, mass combat rules, and some interesting classes, while the Advanced Gamemaster's Guide grants us some good notes on various elements of designing new pieces of the game, as well as some nice variant rules such as point-based metamagic and various things you'd expect from a GM guide such as NPC tips and new hazards, poisons, etc.