PDA

View Full Version : RPG mechanics based on "other" mechanics

Orzel
2010-07-20, 05:42 PM
Ever thought up ideas for rpg mechanics that are based on or related to an element not normally found in an rpg?

An half hour of boredom at work got me into thinking of how to convert baseball's defense into melee combat. Next thing you know I've converted strikes are counterattacks, balls are granted advantage, and homeruns are crits.

Harris the Ford
2010-07-20, 05:57 PM
Every single time I go to the movies Im always comparing the characters to either DnD or Spycraft classes. It's gotten to the point that I have to consciously suppress the thoughts or else thats all I will be thinking about for the rest of the movie.

kjones
2010-07-20, 10:51 PM
I seem to recall seeing homebrew rules for d20 baseball floating around here at some point... Zeta Kai, maybe?

Orzel
2010-07-21, 05:53 AM
The idea was not to create a baseball rpg, but to create an rpg that worked like baseball.

Essentially pitching would be defense and batting offense. Each pitch represents an opening in the defender's defenses. Hits is getting past the defense, while outs are wasted opportunities or counterattacks due to leaving oneself open when attacking. Getting someone home is equivalent to be knocked unconscious. Lefthandedness is magic, righties is weapons.

Pitching+Fielding/Armor
Velocity = Armor class
# of pitches= Types of armor and armor bonuses
Control: Avoiding damage to self/walks
Fielding= Reduction of Base damage (You'd only get 4HP, one for each base)
Stamina= Hom many innings you can last

Batting/Offense
Plate discipline = Strikeout/counterattack avoidance
Strength= Damage
Speed= Bonus damage

So a warrior is fighting a giant for a while. The Giant has no shield(curveball) but the warrior has both a shield and decent evasion (changeup). The giant attacks and the warrior evades. The Warrior's combat skill (fielding) makes this dodge effortless (groundout) and the giant is killed on the automatic counter attack (3rd out).

Murdim
2010-07-21, 06:02 AM
There's the relatively famous Dread (http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/11/11974.phtml), which is basically Jenga : the roleplaying game. Apparently better than it sounds.

Totally Guy
2010-07-21, 06:57 AM
Mouse Guard uses a rock-paper-scissors type mechanic to determine whether a roll is opposed or independent. It's all action interactions...

Attack beats Feint (Attack rolls against independent obstacle 1 and damages opponent)
Feint Beats Defend (Feint rolls against independent obstacle 1 and damages opponent)
Attack opposes Defend (The winner on the roll gets what they wanted)

There's also the Manoeuvre action but I forget all its interactions.

potatocubed
2010-07-21, 10:15 AM
A while back I saw an experiment regarding designing an RPG as if roleplaying had stemmed from Indian dancing, not tabletop wargaming. It was interesting, but I think it required a stronger background in Indian dance than I have because a lot of the terms meant nothing to me.