PDA

View Full Version : Balance Issues for a Future Campaign

Doctor Acula
2010-07-20, 06:50 PM
Hey all, I am planning on running a campaign in the future where I have 6 Players, 3 of which are Dragons and 3 are the Dragon's riders. However in my planning I am coming across a few issues with balance.

It applies a little so I'm going to tell you the premise: 55 Super Soldier are attacking the world individually, each one is trying to destroy the existing government in the name of their leader. The PCs are tasked to track down each of these 55 Soldiers and kill them one at a time (In a style similar to Shadow of the Colossus)

I am planning at starting the game at level 10, do you feel this is a high enough level to support Large sized dragon characters?
I may change the "Dragon Characters" to Magical Beast, Dragon, Animal, etc. How do you feel this would change anything?
The premise of the game is that an army of 55 powerful soldiers are attacking all over the world, what level should each of the soldiers be? Each one should be a big bad boss on his own

Elfin
2010-07-20, 07:06 PM
Balance probably won't be an issue; Large dragons are often less than CR10, and as long as they gain levels along with the other PCs it should work alright.

One thing I'd recommend, though, is reducing the number of soldiers - 8, 12 or 15 seems like a more reasonable number, assuming that slaying each one will be its own mini-adventure.

Doctor Acula
2010-07-20, 07:32 PM
okay, but what level would you recommend them being?

Boci
2010-07-20, 07:37 PM
?okay, but what level would you recommend them being?

BBEG's are typically 4 levels higher than the party's level (assuming 4 players) so if you want each super soldier to be a mini boss, with 6 players, Party level +4 souds about right. Will the threat be over once all the soldiers are dead, or do they have a source that needs defeating in the same game?

Doctor Acula
2010-07-20, 07:42 PM
After the group of bad guys is defeated then their leader needs to be beat and the world needs to be rebuilt. after that the campaign is over

Boci
2010-07-20, 07:48 PM
After the group of bad guys is defeated then their leader needs to be beat and the world needs to be rebuilt. after that the campaign is over

Have them face one soldier first, his level being 3 or 4 points higher the party's. The next soldier should have leveled a bit, explained in game as getting use to the tactics and enviroment of this world. Have the soldier's level increase, but at a rate slower than that of the party's, instead making them fight increasingly more soldiers to make up for the power gap, ending it with say 5 soldiers, all of whom are 1 level higher than the party.