PDA

View Full Version : How would you create this character?

Grumman
2010-07-20, 08:28 PM
I've had an idea for an interesting if weak character concept for a while, and I'd like to hear how other people would do it.

Using at least 7 levels of Trickster Spellthief (from Dragon Magazine #353, for Absorb Spell and lvl 3 spells) and 5 effective levels of Sublime Chord spellcasting, how would you optimise for Trickster Spellthief spellcasting and Eldritch Theurge?

The idea is quite simple: using the spellcasting gained from Sublime Chord, cast the Energy Transformation Field spell using a targeted buff (Arcane Disciple might be useful here). From that point on the character can use Eldritch Blasts to power up the ETF, which hits him with the buff, which powers up the rest of his Trickster Spellthief spellcasting, letting him cast those spells as often as he likes while at home.

Optimystik
2010-07-21, 12:20 PM
Is Trickster Spellthief a feat or ACF? If so, I'm unfamiliar with it; could you post the wording?

(In case you're worried, Roland says this is okay. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8795537))

gallagher
2010-07-21, 12:26 PM
from your description, it sounds alot like this is a sorcerer with a spellthief ACF so he can absorb spells? in this case, one would use eldritch theurge the way someone normally does, as it seems like this will give you prereq's just liks a sorcerer

Keld Denar
2010-07-21, 01:27 PM
Yea, a touch more info would be appreciated. It sounds like a PrC that you want 7 levels of, but you still need to qualify for Sublime Chord. What are the prereqs of this class? What does it grant? Any casting progression? Full? Half? Something in between? No casting on 1st? No casting on 5th? Yea, gonna need some info to track this down. I googled around a bit to try to find info on this puppy from a legal source, but I can't find any such thing. We can't have a scholarly discussion if we don't know what we are discussing, so roll out the fair use and lets get cracking!

Grumman
2010-07-21, 01:28 PM
Is Trickster Spellthief a feat or ACF? If so, I'm unfamiliar with it; could you post the wording?
It's an ACF. The important bit is that the Spellthief gets spellcasting at the same rate that a Bard does, getting 3rd level spells by Lvl 7 instead of 11, and a maximum of 6th level spells instead of 4th.

Keld Denar
2010-07-21, 01:31 PM
ACF for Spellthieves? What does it change?

Because you could do something like:

Harmoneous Knight Pally2/Spellthief7/Virtuoso1/SublimeChord2/FullCaster+8 (probably more Virtuoso).

EDIT: Like most non-Bard or low-Bard Sublime Chord builds, probably requires Able Learner in order to meet the high skill prereqs for Sublime Chord.

Grumman
2010-07-22, 08:49 AM
ACF for Spellthieves? What does it change?
Less skill points and less sneak attack, in exchange to bard-rate spellcasting.

Because you could do something like:

Harmoneous Knight Pally2/Spellthief7/Virtuoso1/SublimeChord2/FullCaster+8 (probably more Virtuoso).
Does this provide any sort of unlimited magical power for the ETF? 'cause that was kind of the point of using Warlock/Eldritch Theurge.