PDA

View Full Version : Request Sound Template 3.5

Owrtho
2010-07-20, 10:57 PM
Well, I'm planning to try creating a character who is somehow tied to sound, but after looking for a template that would do such, I haven't been able to locate one. As such I wondered if anyone knew where I might be able to find a template related to sound or be willing to make one.
I'm particularly looking for something tied to sonic damage. It would be particularly nice if it was music themed but that isn't needed. LA needs to be 3 or less.

Thank you,
Owrtho

periscope69
2010-07-21, 02:13 AM
I don't know of any templates like that.

One trait would be either a really nice bonus to Listen Checks and possibly perform checks or flat out Blindsight based on echolocation, possibly offsetting this by making the recipient of this template blind (a little cliched but....). You could even make it that he's "feeling" the sound vs just hearing it so it would work even if he can't hear (in a vacuum).

Maybe add tremorsense (feeling vibrations) since sound is essentially vibrations. One might argue that it's an extension of the sense of touch (the sound waves striking the ear drums being similar to feeling air currents hitting the body).

Maybe immunity to deafness.

A sonic breath weapon would probably fit the bill. Or if you wanted to vary it you could make it like a fireball but with sonic damage (you know like a grenade, it hits then explodes.

Owrtho
2010-07-21, 02:45 AM
I'd thought of some of those things.
The trouble would be balancing it for a low LA and coming up with an explanation for it.

It really is a shame though how under used sound/music and sonic is in D&D. Fire, cold, positive energy, negative energy, and to a lesser extent acid all have a number of templates, classes, etc. based on them, but sonic is largely left out.

Owrtho

al'raith
2010-07-21, 04:24 AM
http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Siren_(3.5e_Template) you can try this and see if it works

Owrtho
2010-07-21, 07:15 PM
Well, that is somewhat sound focused, but doesn't fit the character too well. Might work if there isn't anything better.

Owrtho

Admiral Squish
2010-07-21, 07:22 PM
So, like a bizzare destrachan-hybrid? That might actually be really fun... I might have to try something, now. Though, you requested music-themed, hmm.

Owrtho
2010-07-21, 08:34 PM
Well, the music theme isn't needed, just preferable.

Owrtho

zenanarchist
2010-07-21, 08:42 PM
Well, I'm planning to try creating a character who is somehow tied to sound, but after looking for a template that would do such, I haven't been able to locate one. As such I wondered if anyone knew where I might be able to find a template related to sound or be willing to make one.
I'm particularly looking for something tied to sonic damage. It would be particularly nice if it was music themed but that isn't needed. LA needs to be 3 or less.

Thank you,
Owrtho

Check the Noise Marine in my sig...It's a class however, not a template...

Not sure if that helps, but it's purely sonic damage from his "breath weapon".

Edit: Should of said. He gets songs and words of power. He's pretty on par with the bard except doesn't have spells.

Gets charisma bonus to his breath weapon damage. Gets some nice abilities later on too.

ForValor
2010-07-21, 08:52 PM
What is it you're looking for in the template?

Sonic damage with a small listen bonus and some musical ability?

Blindsense/Blindsight?

the use of message and whatnot?

Throw some solid things to hold on to out there. I'll see what I can do based off of your request.

DracoDei
2010-07-21, 08:59 PM
Just take anything fire based (or whatever) and reduce all the damage die sizes by 1, change all fire to sonic, replace any skill bonuses with bonuses to listen and maybe move silently (you know how to NOT make sound when you wish... or even have a dampening field you can create a few inches from your skin).

Alternatively, here is a very sloppy on the spot homebrew:

Half-Warsong Dragon
Type Changes to Dragon
Immune: Sonic, Sleep, Paralysis
Str +2, Dex +4, Con +2, Chr +2
Breath Weapon: 1/day, 6d6 sonic damage, DC 10+(HD/2)+Con Mod
+4 racial bonus to the following skills: Listen, Move Silently, Perform (Sing)
+2 racial bonus to Perform (Oratory)
Bonus Feat: Energy Substitution (Sonic)
Level Adjustment: +2

That should be both more playable, and more thematic than a half-howling dragon. Throw in a feat or two for blindsight at higher levels (probably based on a Listen ranks requirement), and it should be pretty good.

Owrtho
2010-07-21, 09:28 PM
Well, blindsense or blindsight would make sense but aren't needed. Some form of dealing sonic damage would be preferred for it, best if fluffed as somehow being musical. May or may not have some sort of enchanting quality based on music (given that music is often given enchanting abilities in myths).

For theme, it could be something such as having been changed by hearing otherworldly music that normal people aren't meant to hear.
Could also be some hereditary thing such as being part something.
Not exactly sure on the theme.

Owrtho

zenanarchist
2010-07-21, 10:32 PM
Well, blindsense or blindsight would make sense but aren't needed. Some form of dealing sonic damage would be preferred for it, best if fluffed as somehow being musical. May or may not have some sort of enchanting quality based on music (given that music is often given enchanting abilities in myths).

For theme, it could be something such as having been changed by hearing otherworldly music that normal people aren't meant to hear.
Could also be some hereditary thing such as being part something.
Not exactly sure on the theme.

Owrtho

Again i gotta say my Noise Marine. If you're talking things that others can't hear he gets Subsonic abilities later on, as well as the ability to use echoes like a bat. Sounds exactly like what you're after. Only problem is it's homebrewed not published.

Admiral Squish
2010-07-21, 10:37 PM
Alright, I'm working on a destrachan-man now.

Owrtho
2010-07-21, 10:51 PM
Again i gotta say my Noise Marine. If you're talking things that others can't hear he gets Subsonic abilities later on, as well as the ability to use echoes like a bat. Sounds exactly like what you're after. Only problem is it's homebrewed not published.

Well, main issue is more that it's a class than that it's homebrew. If it were a template that gave similar abilities it would work, but as a class it doesn't (mainly as I already have a specific class that fits the character).

Owrtho

zenanarchist
2010-07-21, 11:02 PM
Well, main issue is more that it's a class than that it's homebrew. If it were a template that gave similar abilities it would work, but as a class it doesn't (mainly as I already have a specific class that fits the character).

Owrtho

DONE!

Sonar born

Type changes to magical creature.

LA +3

Sonar born become batlike creatures that have extremely large ears and pointed elongated jawlines with large nostrils. They prefer night time as the sounds are less distracting and the light doesn't hurt their extremely sensitive eyes. They begin shying away from the day and harbouring together in darker areas.

Breath Weapon

The Sonar Born are granted a sonic breath weapon from creation, this is simply their echo ability amplified to such a degree that it pains all ears within the area. This begins at 1d8 at first level and grows by 1d8 for every five levels the character gains. 4d8 maximum at 20. This breath weapon may be used in conjunction with any melee or ranged attack and any spell not requiring somantic components. It does not have a recharge time and is useable at will.

Special

Blind Sight

Sonar born gain blind sight out to 120 ft, their amazing echo reverbrates off surfaces great distances away. However incorporeal creatures do not register in this ability and are overlooked.

Perfect Hearing

All Sonar Born gain +10 to listen checks in all circumstances.

Flight

Sonar Born gain a 30 ft fly speed plus their base movement rate at a poor maneuverability.

Siren Song

The Sonar Born gain +4 to all perform checks concerning singing and oratory abilities. This ability also adds an additional +2 bonus to any Bard Song or other class abilities that grant a bonus from singing/performing.

Thick Skinned

All Sonar Born gain +4 natural armour bonus due to their thick skin.

Light Sensitivity

All Sonar Born take a -1 penalty to AC and To hit when in bright light or natural sun.

However in darkness or low light they gain +1 to both these rolls.

Abilities

Charisma +4 Dexterity +2 Strength -4 Constitution -2

Sonar Born are beautifully spoken agile creatures, but are not strong in the slightest and do not have the hardiest of constitutions either. They suit classes that sit back a little from combat.

Owrtho
2010-07-21, 11:48 PM
That looks like it might work. Though I think I'll wait a bit longer and see what the other people come up with.
Quick question, what's the range on the breath weapon? I take it it has no cool down time. Also, as you mention it can be used in conjunction with attacks and spells, I take it that it can be used during an attack or spell.

Also, I take it this is a template from the context, but it almost seems like a race on its own. Not that that's a problem.

Owrtho

zenanarchist
2010-07-21, 11:59 PM
That looks like it might work. Though I think I'll wait a bit longer and see what the other people come up with.
Quick question, what's the range on the breath weapon? I take it it has no cool down time. Also, as you mention it can be used in conjunction with attacks and spells, I take it that it can be used during an attack or spell.

Also, I take it this is a template from the context, but it almost seems like a race on its own. Not that that's a problem.

Owrtho

Let's make the range whatever you want it to be. It's +3LA though so it'd wanna be an impressive one. Shall we say 50ft cone?

Impressive damage....

Line? 40ft, hits less, more appropriate perhaps.

And yep, it specifically states it can be used while attacking or casting a spell, but not with a spell that has verbal components.

And I can change and reflavour the fluff however you'd like. It's purely for your character. I don't intend on using it anywhere :-)

Thought you'd like the bonus on perform though. :smallwink:

Also if you want less LA then nerf the bonuses. +2 cha +2 dex, -4 str and -2 con should grant you +2.

Minus one or two of the abilities, especially nat armour and you could drop it to +1.

Admiral Squish
2010-07-22, 02:19 AM
Alright, we've got Screamers. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8977833#post8977833) Check 'em out. I'll add more fluff and try to balance them better after some sleep.

zenanarchist
2010-07-22, 06:18 PM
Alright, we've got Screamers. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8977833#post8977833) Check 'em out. I'll add more fluff and try to balance them better after some sleep.

Very very nice.

Scary.

Though he said he wanted to be a bard type character didn't he? Thus very charisma based? Chuck in a Cha bonus even if it's on the basis of "I'm so scary I'll fear you into what I want you to do" this would also get him into diresinger or whatever it's called.

Admiral Squish
2010-07-22, 06:28 PM
Good point. I knocked down the str bonus 'cause it makes no sense anyways, and upped the cha bonus.

zenanarchist
2010-07-22, 06:46 PM
Good point. I knocked down the str bonus 'cause it makes no sense anyways, and upped the cha bonus.

Perfecto. Good job. There you go Or, two templates. I'm sure some more will head your way.

Admiral that was also a really well fluffed creature. Kudos to excellent work.

Admiral Squish
2010-07-22, 08:19 PM
Yeah, I completely made it up on the spot. I'm really surprised it went this well.

DracoDei
2010-07-23, 08:43 AM
Perfecto. Good job. There you go Or, two templates. I'm sure some more will head your way.

Three if you count mine...

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-07-23, 09:17 AM
Not my best ever, but, for a 2-minute creation, not shabby.

Celestial String

The universe hums with its own immense, eternal song, each melody an entire unfolding universe. Rarely, ever so rarely, an individual becomes an avatar of this song, the tune folding around them and engulfing their lives. Such individuals often become Empyreal Cantatrices (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6698933&postcount=4), but other paths are, as ever, possibilities.

Type: Type changes to Outsider (native). Do not recalculate anything.

Abilities: Charisma +4

Special Abilities

Eversong: A Celestial String is constantly surrounded by fragments of the celestial symphony. All creatures within 10ft of the Celestial String gain a +1 untyped bonus to attack rolls, saving throws, skill checks, armor class, and ability checks.

Reverberations of Madness: By layering her own voice into the universal song, a Celestial String can twist the music into a weapon. As a standard action, she may unleash a terrible, soul-wrenching song against a single foe. A target within 30 feet must succeed on a Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 the Celestial String's character level + the Celestial String's Charisma modifier) or take 1d4 points of Sonic damage per 2 character levels (minimum 1d4) and be Confused for 1 round.

Once a creature has saved against this effect or been subject to it, it is immune to further iterations of the effect for a full 24 hours.

Special Qualities

One With Song: Immunity to Sonic damage, and sonic spells/effects, unless the Celestial String chooses otherwise (a free action).

LA: Probably +1.

Prime32
2010-07-23, 10:26 AM
Hyperconscious has a PrC which is based on sound - they can summon a sword made out of their voice called an echoic saber.

zenanarchist
2010-07-23, 10:46 PM
Three if you count mine...

Dammit sorry, I looked through for bolded bits. That'll teach me for being lazy. Now four templates! Your choice Or, goodluck with it!

Hyperconscious has a PrC which is based on sound - they can summon a sword made out of their voice called an echoic saber.

That's just sex. Right there. Eat my voice summoned music sword.

Ugh. Awesomesauce.