PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]Dread Necro into Prestige Bard?

Thurbane
2010-07-21, 02:46 AM
What's the simplest way, other than level dips, to get into Prestige Bard (http://dndsrd.net/unearthedPrestige.html) with Dread Necromancer (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cwc/20060627a)?

Prestige Bard reqs: Any nonlawful, BAB +3, Knowledge (any one) 4 ranks, Perform (any one) 8 ranks, Ability to cast at least one 1st-level arcane spell from each of the divination, enchantment, and illusion schools.

The bolded reqs are the issues. Apprentice (entertainer) (DMG II feat) can handle Perform. Divination (Detect Undead) and Enchantment (Bane) 1st level spells are sorted, which leaves Illusion. The Anarchic Bloodline feat (DMC) adds Color Spray to spells known, and will cover the Illusion req.

My question: are their other/easier ways to do this, without level dips?

Gadora
2010-07-21, 06:00 AM
For the spell requirement, the feat Extra Spell from Complete Arcane should do the trick.

Escheton
2010-07-21, 07:48 AM
Arcane disciple should add a few illusion spells to the mix if you pick the right domain and have a decent wisdom score.

There is a feat that lets you add any 2 skills you already have to the skill-list of all your classes or making 1 skill that is currently totally crossclass for you a classskill for all classes. The name eludes me at the moment though. Think it's in races of destiny or somesuch.

Maerok
2010-07-21, 08:19 AM
There is a feat that lets you add any 2 skills you already have to the skill-list of all your classes or making 1 skill that is currently totally crossclass for you a classskill for all classes. The name eludes me at the moment though. Think it's in races of destiny or somesuch.

At that point wouldn't Able Learner be a better choice?

Escheton
2010-07-21, 10:44 AM
No, because it would remain crossclass. And thus you would need a lot more lvls to get 8 ranks.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-07-21, 11:03 AM
I think Arcane disciple Gnome domain would be the best option.... I think it haves Silent Image as a first level spell.

Now the question: why do you want to prestige into prestige bard?:smallconfused:

10 gp says want to do that fiddle playing bard, from the demotivator poster

Fouredged Sword
2010-07-21, 12:01 PM
It would make a neat dirgsinger.

gallagher
2010-07-21, 12:11 PM
use any race that has an illusion spell when you have at least 10 CHA like gnome with Ghost Sound. it may be Sorc/Wiz 0, but it is a 1st level assassin spell, which is arcane

Person_Man
2010-07-21, 01:37 PM
Aereni Focus feat from Player's Guide to Eberron adds any one Skill as a class Skill for you, and you gain Skill Focus for it. However, this is a regional Eberron Elf-only thing. Apprentice is probably a much better way to go though. Just thought I'd toss out another option.

Thurbane
2010-07-21, 06:01 PM
For the spell requirement, the feat Extra Spell from Complete Arcane should do the trick.
I thought errata/FAQ ruled that Extra Spell can only get spells already on your class list?

Now the question: why do you want to prestige into prestige bard?:smallconfused:

10 gp says want to do that fiddle playing bard, from the demotivator poster
Nope, just interested in an undead/necro themed bard...looking at the feats Song of the Dead and possibly into Dirgesinger.

Yes, that pic is fairly cool, but not my inspiration in this particular case. :smallwink:

Greenish
2010-07-21, 06:04 PM
There is a feat that lets you add any 2 skills you already have to the skill-list of all your classes or making 1 skill that is currently totally crossclass for you a classskill for all classes. The name eludes me at the moment though. Think it's in races of destiny or somesuch.Skill knowledge (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/alternativeSkillSystems.htm#skillKnowledge) is for an alternative skill system quite different from the default one.

Hyooz
2010-07-21, 06:15 PM
Also: Dragonfire Inspiration + Hordes of Undead = holy crap ouch that hurt.

Thurbane
2010-07-21, 06:46 PM
Also: Dragonfire Inspiration + Hordes of Undead = holy crap ouch that hurt.
Now that sounds cool.

Combine with the Corpsecrafter line of feats for som nasty undead minions. :smallsmile:

zaulsiin
2010-07-28, 10:09 AM
The thread's only a week old, so I hope this doesn't count as thread necro. o.O

Regarding the Illusion spell, you could always try and talk your DM into letting you use the Warmage's Eclectic Learning ACF from PHB2. Lets you use an Advanced Learning slot to learn a sor/wiz spell from a school that you wouldn't normally be allowed to learn, albeit in a higher level spell slot. (ie. learn a 2nd lvl illusion spell as a 3rd lvl Dread Necro spell). Warmage casting is practically identical to Dread Necro casting, so I don't see why any DM would have a problem with it.

DragoonWraith
2010-07-28, 10:20 AM
I thought errata/FAQ ruled that Extra Spell can only get spells already on your class list?
FAQ ruled that, but FAQ is not RAW and RAW in this case has no such restriction.

Plus it's a really dumb ruling.

Escheton
2010-07-28, 02:59 PM
Skill knowledge (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/alternativeSkillSystems.htm#skillKnowledge) is for an alternative skill system quite different from the default one.

It's actually not that one. Though it is strikingly similar.

Analytica
2010-07-28, 03:38 PM
For skills, there is also the Flexible Mind feat from Dragon Magazine. Any two skills become class skills. However, that is an Anarchic feat, like Exalted but with chaos, which may or may not be an issue.