PDA

View Full Version : Medium sized half dragons with wings

Matamane
2010-07-21, 12:22 PM
I remember seeing once in dragon magazine an article on war of the spider queen. There was a blurb there that said a type of half dragon had wings if medium sized+. Anyone know of the issue, or what type of dragon, because for the life of me I can't find it

hamishspence
2010-07-21, 12:33 PM
Shadow dragon.

Dragon 322 has it as an unusual variant half-shadow dragon lineage.

The book Dragons of Faerun has a counterpart- shadow dragons with drow blood, called "drow-dragons" which can turn into drow.

Runestar
2010-07-21, 04:46 PM
I think it is in the dragons of faerun web enhancement. There is a half-drow/shadow dragon race (basically half-dragon slapped onto a drow) which gets wings as a special exception to the rules.

arguskos
2010-07-21, 04:48 PM
You know, I just had a thought. Get Powerful Build. Then, acquire Half-Dragon somehow. The former lets you qualify as Large in any situation in which it would be advantageous to you. Wings surely count as advantageous. Problem solved?

Dr.Epic
2010-07-21, 05:23 PM
I thought half-dragons size large and bigger automatically have wings and any half-dragon smaller than that only have wing if the base creature has wings.

Greenish
2010-07-21, 05:30 PM
You know, I just had a thought. Get Powerful Build. Then, acquire Half-Dragon somehow. The former lets you qualify as Large in any situation in which it would be advantageous to you. Wings surely count as advantageous. Problem solved?Powerful Build doesn't work that way.

Any dragonblooded character can take feats Dragon Wings and Improved Dragon Wings, which grant HD-dependent flight (like dragonborn).

AslanCross
2010-07-21, 05:43 PM
You know, I just had a thought. Get Powerful Build. Then, acquire Half-Dragon somehow. The former lets you qualify as Large in any situation in which it would be advantageous to you. Wings surely count as advantageous. Problem solved?

Powerful Build clearly says it only makes the creature count as large for combat bonuses, weapon size, and special attacks. The feats that Powerful Build creatures qualify for specifically say so.

arguskos
2010-07-21, 05:50 PM
Powerful Build clearly says it only makes the creature count as large for combat bonuses, weapon size, and special attacks. The feats that Powerful Build creatures qualify for specifically say so.
Ah. Shame. Wouldn't really be overpowered to let it work, IMO, but there we are. Doesn't work by RAW. Thanks.

Runestar
2010-07-21, 06:27 PM
I don't see anything wrong with allowing half-dragon to allow wings to the base creature regardless of size. It is currently quite weak for a LA+3 template, IMO.

Greenish
2010-07-21, 06:29 PM
I don't see anything wrong with allowing half-dragon to allow wings to the base creature regardless of size. It is currently quite weak for a LA+3 template, IMO.Because then you could gain flight one ECL before the wizard.

The Anarresti
2010-07-21, 06:33 PM
And we all know the wizard is the paragon of balance [/sarcasm]

CubeB
2010-07-21, 06:37 PM
In pathfinder, all Half Dragons have wings. (Though their breath weapon dice damage is based on RHD). They're also only LA +2.

In d20 Modern, you can subtract 4 STR from the template and add wings on to any half dragon.

Personally, I'll take a weaker breath weapon, smaller LA, and Wings over -4 STR any day.

Runestar
2010-07-21, 07:06 PM
Because then you could gain flight one ECL before the wizard.

Wizards can already access flight at 3rd lv (via alter self).

And you have only 1 HD to show for it.

Say hi to the orc barb and his greataxe. :smallamused: