PDA

View Full Version : [any] Gaming via Twitter?

arrowhen
2010-07-21, 12:28 PM
Has anyone here tried playing an RPG over Twitter? It seems like it could work, especially with a really simple ruleset like Risus or Dungeon Squad.

Although I've never actually *used* Twitter, so I might be missing something.

Siosilvar
2010-07-21, 12:32 PM
140 characters would be VERY difficult for many posts. As an example, this post has 143 characters.

Far too few for me, at least in-character.

The Rose Dragon
2010-07-21, 12:33 PM
The problem with Twitter is the ridiculously low character limit. It's unlikely to work as well as an IM program or Google Wave for a real-time game, and it's not gonna have enough room for posts in a PbP game.

CarpeGuitarrem
2010-07-21, 01:24 PM
I dunno how it would work, but Twitter RPGing would have to be very, very different from standard RPGing. It's about recognizing the strengths and weaknesses of the medium. The ones that stick out to me...

Strengths: Easy spread of information through retweeting and hashtag trends. Focus on concise descriptions.

Weaknesses: Character limit, clogs up Twitter feed.

arrowhen
2010-07-21, 01:30 PM
Well, I'm stuck at work for ten hours a day with my 200 char limit dumbphone as my only source of internet, so I was looking for something to keep me entertained during the day.

arrowhen
2010-07-21, 01:37 PM
I think an old-school dungeon crawl could work. Things like, "I poke around for traps with my 10 ft. pole", or, "An owlbear bursts from the closet, roaring and hooting" don't take that many characters.