PDA

View Full Version : How to get at-will Message [3.5]

blackmage
2010-07-21, 01:34 PM
I'm wondering how I might be able to get the spell Message as an at-will effect, or some fairly large amount per day/encounter. I see the spell as a very minor, situational use spell if you can cast it 2-4 times a day, but a very useful and (to me) compelling tool if it can be used many times.

So, how might I do this? A wand could work, but are there any magic items or obscure classes that give this ability?

Caphi
2010-07-21, 01:37 PM
Play Pathfinder.

If you had permanent telepathy, you could relay messages between people, which is almost as good. Also, I think Rary's telepathic bond can be permanencied, though it's a bit expensive and has to be done one link at a time.

drengnikrafe
2010-07-21, 01:40 PM
Homemade items based on the item creation guidelines.

Also, I believe if you're willing to permenantly give up an 8th level spell slot, there's a metamagic. I think it's generally frowned upon, though. It's not generally worth it.

Quirp
2010-07-21, 01:43 PM
One of the 8th level vestiges (ToM) gives you what you want. You might think 15th level binder (with improved binding) is too high of a level, but you get a cantrip at-will. That has to be worth it.:smallbiggrin:

Telonius
2010-07-21, 02:01 PM
Spell level (0=.5) x Caster level (1) x 2000gp x 1.5 (10 minutes/day) = 1500gp.

You know, I never really considered how awesome it would be to use this to mess with somebody. Cast invisibility, then Message.
"If you build it, they will come!"

EDIT: I don't have Complete Mage on me, but there might be a Reserve Feat there that lets you cast Message.

blackmage
2010-07-21, 02:03 PM
Caphi: That is what gave me the idea. Unfortunately my local group isn't playing it currently. Maybe I start spreading the idea though...

drengnikrafe: I had not really looked at that part of the DM's guide before...very interesting. So, if I made it as a use-activated wondrous item, it would cost 1000 GP/caster level, which only affects its range, so a 1000 GP item that would allow message cast to 100ft unlimited times per day. Not very familiar with magic item making, does 1000GP seem a reasonable cost?

Edit: Ninja'd by Telonius, who makes me realize spell is 10 minutes/level and not instant, I thought it was like sending and just let you send a single message. However, DM guide does state that 0-level spells should use 1/2 in formulas for cost. New cost would be:

Spell level (0 = 1/2) * Caster Level (1) * 2000 * 1.5 (10min/level) = 1500GP

That seem correct/fair?

Edit 2: No reserve feat for it, though I think its something that would make sense as a feat too. And my reason for wanting it is inter-party communication on scouting forays, coordinating attacks, various sneaky-type things.

Adumbration
2010-07-21, 02:11 PM
One of the 8th level vestiges (ToM) gives you what you want. You might think 15th level binder (with improved binding) is too high of a level, but you get a cantrip at-will. That has to be worth it.:smallbiggrin:

Well, you also get one of the most powerful PC-available breath weapons in the game, undispellable, continuous displacement as well as blindsight, the blindsense's big brother. :smalltongue:

Telonius
2010-07-21, 02:13 PM
A Feather Token is 300gp, and that's a single-use version of a slightly more powerful spell (animal messenger). I'd say 1500 gp would be a fair price.

Lysander
2010-07-21, 02:54 PM
Use Lesser Planar Binding to enslave a hound archon. They get message as an at-will ability. Of course then there are the ethical problems and safety issues with holding an outsider captive.