PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Sorcerer: Making a Battle Sorcerer

ShadowsGrnEyes
2010-07-21, 02:29 PM
Okay, So I am building a Sorcerer in Pathfinder.

The idea is to basically build the Arcane Equivalent of a Battle Cleric, via Straight Sorcerer.

The Rules: Must be Straight Sorcerer(no multiclassing or prestige)
I have chosen to use battle sorcerer variant
Must use pathfinder when available but other 3.5 content is permissable.
With Dm's permission a variation of the Draconic bloodline is being allowed.

We are starting at level 5. What I have so far.

Altered Bloodline: This bloodline is based on the Draconic bloodline but is being treated as Demonic for flavor as the universe this character will be played has no dragons. The Abyssal bloodline has too much of a summoning basis so the DM rearranged a few things.
Bloodline Arcana: Whenever you cast a spell with the fire descriptor that spell deals +1 point of damage per die rolled.

Bloodline Powers: While some would say that you are possessed, you know better. The demonic influence in your blood grows as you gain power.

Claws (Ex): Starting at 1st level, you can grow claws as a free action. These claws are treated as natural weapons, allowing you to make two claw attacks as a full attack action using your full base attack bonus. Each of these attacks deals 1d4 points of damage plus your Strength modifier (1d3 if you are Small). At 5th level, these claws are considered magic weapons for the purpose of overcoming DR. At 7th level, the damage increases by one step to 1d6 points of damage (1d4 if you are Small). At 11th level, these claws deal an additional 1d6 points of damage of your energy type on a successful hit. This is a supernatural ability. You can use your claws for a number of rounds per day equal to 3 + your Charisma modifier.

Demon Resistances (Ex): At 3rd level, you gain resist 5 against Fire and a +1 natural armor bonus. At 9th level, your Fire resistance increases to 10 and natural armor bonus increases to +2. At 15th level, your natural armor bonus increases to +4.

Strength of the Abyss (Ex): At 9th level, you gain a +2 inherent bonus to your Strength. This bonus increases to +4 at 13th level, and to +6 at 17th level.

Wings (Su): At 15th level, leathery demon wings grow from your back as a standard action, giving you a f ly speed of 60 feet with average maneuverability. You can dismiss the wings as a free action.

Demonic Might (Su): At 20th level, the power of the Abyss f lows through you. You gain immunity to electricity and poison. You also gain resistance to acid 10, cold 10, and fire 10, and gain telepathy with a range of 60 feet (allowing you to communicate with any creature that can
speak a language).

Feats: (i'm having ALOT of trouble with these so all feats are subject to change on good advice)

1.Sudden Extend

3. Arcane Strike (Pathfinder)

5. Versatile Spell caster

7. Arcane strike(complete warrior)

9. Arcane Toughness

13.Critical Focus

Spells: red spells are ones given to me as bonus known by the bloodline, flavor wise "form of the dragon" will be mechanically the same but flavored as a demon (no dragon universe)
Prestidigitation: Performs minor tricks.
Mage Hand: 5-pound telekinesis.
Ghost Sound: Figment sounds.
Read Magic: Read scrolls and spellbooks.
Detect Magic: Detects all spells and magic items within 60 ft.
Silent Portal: Negates sound from door or window.

Mage Armor: Gives subject +4 armor bonus.
Shield: Invisible disc gives +4 to AC, blocks magic missiles.
True Strike: +20 on your next attack roll.
Magic Missile: 1d4+1 damage; +1 missile per two levels above 1st (max 5).
Orb of Fire, Lesser: Ranged touch attack deals 1d8 fire damage + 1d8/2 levels beyond 1st
(max 5d8)

Steal Size: Humanoid creature doubles in size as targeted humanoid halves in size.
Bull’s Strength: Subject gains +4 to Str for 1 min./level.
Eagle’s Splendor: Subject gains +4 to Cha for 1 min./level.
Heroics: Fighter gains one fighter bonus feat.
Resist Energy: Ignores first 10 (or more) points of damage per attack from specified energy type.

Fireball: 1d6 damage per level, 20-ft. radius.
Displacement: Attacks miss subject 50% of the time.
Keen Edge: Doubles normal weapon’s threat range.
Fly: Subject f lies at speed of 60 ft.

Fire Shield: Creatures attacking you take fire damage; you’re protected from heat or cold.
Stoneskin: Grants DR 10/adamantine.
Invisibility, Greater: As invisibility, but subject can attack and stay invisible.
Fear: Subjects within cone f lee for 1 round/level.

Teleport: Instantly transports you as far as 100 miles per level.
Elemental Body II: Turns you into a Medium elemental.
Telekinesis: Moves object, attacks creature, or hurls object or creature.
Spell Resistance: Subject gains SR 12 + level.

Contingency: Sets trigger condition for another spell.
Disintegrate: Reduces one creature or object to dust.
Form of the Dragon I: Turns you into a Medium dragon.

Finger of Death: Deals 10 damage/level to one subject.
Limited Wish: Alters reality (within limits).
Form of the Dragon II: Turns you into a Large dragon.

Iron Body: Your body becomes living iron.
Polymorph Any Object: Changes a subject into anything else.
Form of the Dragon III: Turns you into a Huge dragon.

Shapechange: Transforms you into certain creatures, and lets you change forms once per round.
Time Stop: You act freely for 1d4+1 rounds.
Wish: As limited wish, but with fewer limits.

I intend for the character to use a scimitar. . .

subject42
2010-07-21, 02:32 PM
Would he allow you to take the Dragon Disciple prestige class, tailored to fit your bloodline alterations? It's pretty monstrous for a front-line caster.

ShadowsGrnEyes
2010-07-21, 02:43 PM
Would he allow you to take the Dragon Disciple prestige class, tailored to fit your bloodline alterations? It's pretty monstrous for a front-line caster.

Nope, no prestige classes, no multiclassing. . . its a challenge. The whole game is a challenge to build something unconventional using only one class, and have it work.

Jallorn
2010-07-21, 02:45 PM
Look into the Arcane Disciple feat, it's pretty nice for adding spells to your spells known list.

subject42
2010-07-21, 04:10 PM
If that's the case, focus on long-running buffs that use a lot of different bonus types.

Combine them with metamagic wands of extend and feats that boost your caster level.

On top of that, slap on some versatile spell caster to make the most of your low-level spell slots.

As far as spells go, focus on buffs and no-save touch spells. Here are a few suggestions. Most of them are 3.5, but they haven't been overriden by pathfinder.

Bite of the X spells from the 3.5 Spell Compendium. They give you natural attacks and ability boosts.

Wings of Cover from Races of the Draconomimagiconsomethingorother. It lets you burn a 2nd level spell slot to negate one attack per round as an immediate action.

Combust. I think it's in the Spell Compendium. It's a touch attack that does uncapped fire damage.

Shivering touch, from Frostburn. If you look it up on this forum, it will tell you what you need to know.

Ruin Delver's Fortune from the Spell Compendium. It's a great defensive spell with a lot of applications.

Grease, from Core. You hit harder when people are laying on the ground, all lathered up and wriggly.

Greater Mighty Wallop is in one of the dragon books and must be used. It increases the effective size of a bludgeoning weapon by a maximum of five categories. I know that you want to use a scimitar, but there has got to be a way to make that spell stick. Maybe aptitude weapon?

the humanity
2010-07-21, 04:18 PM
Karmic Aura, Karmic Backlash, Karmic Retribution, and Retributive Spell. nobody will ever want to hit you more than once. go wherever you feel like going. the only thing is, all your allies will be yelling 'hit the sorcerer!' so be prepared.

other than that, +1 to subject.

ShadowsGrnEyes
2010-07-21, 08:02 PM
Karmic Aura, Karmic Backlash, Karmic Retribution

Right, Complete mage. . . must go find my copy. . . . .
Retributive spell. . . that could be pretty funny actually. . .

Sorcerer: Hit me! come on HIT ME! DO IT! You know you want to! HIT me

Bad guy: um. . . i'm confused here. . .

Sorcerer: please hit me?

Bad guy: this is weird, i'm gonna go. . .

Optimystik
2010-07-21, 08:14 PM
Right, Complete mage. . . must go find my copy. . . . .
Retributive spell. . . that could be pretty funny actually. . .

Sorcerer: Hit me! come on HIT ME! DO IT! You know you want to! HIT me

Bad guy: um. . . i'm confused here. . .

Sorcerer: please hit me?

Bad guy: this is weird, i'm gonna go. . .

Heh, that reminds me of something. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0194.html) :smalltongue:

Johanas
2010-07-22, 01:47 AM
Take a look at the Electric Vengeance spell. Kind of a similar feel. Player's Handbook 2.