PDA

View Full Version : Adolescents and Characteristics

Viking_Mage
2010-07-21, 03:22 PM
There are no rules, that I can find, concerning the stats of children. The problem is, one of the villains in my campaign is a young girl (8 years) with the unholy scion template. The characters first encounter her at 8, and then truly combat her when she becomes an adult. How should I stat her at 8 years old?

Are there penalties for the physical and mental attributes for being undeveloped? What about class - she will be a wizard or a warlock, but she doesn't have any spells yet, so do I place-hold with a NPC class?

There is also a NPC child who has followed the fighter around to learn how to use a sword and become a fighter himself. In case it ever comes up, how should I decipher that?

Thanks, in advance, for any advice.

Yora
2010-07-21, 03:23 PM
The easiest way would be looking up the adjustments for increasing a small sized creature to medium size, and then apply the oposite adjustments to an adult human to get the stats for a human child.

That would be -4 Str, +2 Dex, -2 Con, and the modifiers to Attack, AC, Hide and Grapple for being Small sized.
For mental stats, you just might apply a flat -2 penalty to Int, Wis, and Cha.
As there are no official rules for such things, and abilities are not extremely fine tuned representations of real people, I'd say you'd be good to go with that.

Aroka
2010-07-21, 03:31 PM
Finally, a use for the terrible AGOTd20. Steal the age adjustments for kids:

7-8 yo. get -4 Str, +2 Dex, -3 Con, +2 Cha, +6 Hide, +2 Climb, and +1 Bluff when adults don't have a reason to suspect them.

9-11 yo. get -3 Str, +2 Dex, -3 Con, +2 Cha, +4 Hide, +2 Climb, and +2 Bluff as above.

'course a Cha bonus is silly - would a child actually have an advantage in Diplomacy or Intimidate? I don't think so.

Mind, those pretty much work out to what Yora suggested, and I like the sound of it better in general.

Tengu_temp
2010-07-21, 03:38 PM
Children shouldn't get any bonuses, only penalties. Seriously though, why bother? These are your NPCs, you can stat them out however you want. Most ability scores are fairly abstract anyway.