PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Mime

Gov2win
2010-07-21, 05:01 PM
Hey guys, I was aimlessly wandering around D&D Wiki to kill some time and I stumbled on this:

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Mime_%283.5e_Class%29

I read it through and it seems pretty playable, though the only thing that threw me off a bit was the unconventional Base Save progression. (Is this common in Homebrew?) I was always interested in the idea of a mime class but I've never really looked into Homebrew, so I've come to consult the veterans of the craft!

What do you think of this class, and do you know of any others like it worth playing?

Siosilvar
2010-07-21, 08:58 PM
Because I can't get the page to load right now, I'm just going to give you this warning about D&D Wiki: It has some of the worst-balanced homebrew ever. Almost every contributor to that site has a differing (sometimes wildly) view of what "balanced" is. Keep that in mind as you look through it.

imp_fireball
2010-07-21, 10:09 PM
Save progression is 'medium' as opposed to 'poor' or 'good'. Most people go with only good or poor since that's how the books do it, but I see no problem with medium myself - it appears from time to time in homebrew; balance wise, two mediums equals a good save progression (I think) two poor equals one medium - three mediums is virtually the same as one good save progression and two poors.

The Mime only copies abilities that he could physically use (he cannot copy an ability that requires wings if he does not have wings).

How about: The mime copies all abilities. Abilities that he cannot physically perform cannot be performed (although the mime knows exactly how to perform them).

In this way, if the mime chooses to shape shift into a form that has wings. He can use an ability that uses wings, even if the form he was in previously did not have wings.

Fluff wise, he may feel like a bird with clipped wings if the above were the case and he was unable to shape shift.

Maybe he should also have the ability to steal memories or change memories.

Instead of having the greatest MAD of any class out there, I'm thinking he could use wisdom for mimicry (no matter what score the original ability depended on).

Come to think of it, this would make a good PrC. Seems a little strange to make it a core class.

Gov2win
2010-07-22, 02:50 AM
Because I can't get the page to load right now, I'm just going to give you this warning about D&D Wiki: It has some of the worst-balanced homebrew ever. Almost every contributor to that site has a differing (sometimes wildly) view of what "balanced" is. Keep that in mind as you look through it.

I completely agree, from what I've seen, that's why I took my questions here ^_^;;
Also, maybe this link will work better?: http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Mime_(3.5e_Class)

How about: The mime copies all abilities. Abilities that he cannot physically perform cannot be performed (although the mime knows exactly how to perform them).

Instead of having the greatest MAD of any class out there, I'm thinking he could use wisdom for mimicry (no matter what score the original ability depended on).

Come to think of it, this would make a good PrC. Seems a little strange to make it a core class.

I completely agree with all three of these points. I really like the idea of wisdom governing mimicry. As far as it being a PrC, I could see converting this into a nice 10 level PrC. What do you think some of the prerequisites would be? I imagine something along the lines of:
-8 Ranks in Sense Motive
-4 Ranks in Disguise and Spellcraft.
-Alertness

imp_fireball
2010-07-23, 06:47 PM
-8 Ranks in Sense Motive
-4 Ranks in Disguise and Spellcraft.
-Alertness

How about 4 ranks in Perform (acting) instead of disguise (they don't actually don disguises, although it helps if you're not a doppleganger/changeling; maybe they get a 'ventriloquist' Su ability to duplicate a person's voice)? Or knowledge (whatever involves really knowing about people) - or, maybe gather information. Rather then spellcraft maybe 'knowledge arcana'.

How about an ability to sense what level the other person is, their class features etc., (basically, glimpse the character sheet very briefly; not enough to tell things like race, gender, alignment, behavior or background) with a sense motive check alone (opposed by a 'reactive' bluff check or 'disguise' check or whatever involves naturally laying low)?

Finally, include a thing about how they can also mimic psi-like abilities and wording that is appropriated to pretty much any kind of class out there (like invocations, chakra, maneuvers, vestiges, whatever the hells, etc.).
----

As for other abilities -

Flash Clone (Su)

The ability to, as an immediate action, glimpse another ability performed in the round within line of sight - maybe requires a sense motive check opposed by DC of creature's ECL + level of ability, which could be a challenge rating or spell level ( if there is no level, then it's just creature ECL + creature Charisma modifier); note that this applies to both allies and enemies, so even if the ally is willing to have their ability duplicated on the mimic's turn, the mimic must still roll against the imposed DC of the ally - so that on their next turn they can perform this attack. It essentially works like a readied action except that the action to ready is an immediate action, it sacrifices a standard action on the mime's turn and it must copy an ability they witness in the previous round.

If they don't choose to use the standard action to perform the ability, then the immediate action is wasted and they cannot perform the ability at any other time.

The above only applies to abilities that can be prepared and performed in just one round. The ability must have been fully performed (that is, undergone spell completion, ie., etc.) before the mimic can flash clone it.

A flash cloned ability can only be used once, and then it is forgotten.
----

The above I dirived from 8-bit theater.

Also, charisma is hardly ever used for ability score based saves, and I thought if it'd ever be appropriate then it would be in the above situation.

A more charismatic person tends to externalize a style that's harder to 'pose' or copy after all.

Also, I got the idea for the above ability from Red Mage in 8bit theater (http://www.nuklearpower.com/2005/12/29/episode-641-cleansing-action/) (strip #641-643).