PDA

View Full Version : Halfling Pride

Traveler
2010-07-21, 05:27 PM
I was DMing for a group the other night and one of the players made a halfling rogue. The thing is that the halfling is weak on damage and jokes are made about him coming up a little short. There is no problem, but halflings are listed high on my list of races. So I offered the challenge that after the mod was finished someone else could DM (I know one player wants to run a Dawn of the Dead scenario) and I would build a halfling that would be a powerhouse.
So, my question that I would like to ask is how would you build a powerful 1st-3rd level 3.5 halfling? Assume that I have access to most of the books but no dragon mags. Thanks in advance.

gallagher
2010-07-21, 05:29 PM
druid and summon an ally? rogues are powerful at low levels because of their good Dex and sneakyness. throw a bag of marbles and have fun with your sneak attacks

also, a warlock would be good here. summon a swarm, spiderclimb, and eldritch blast away!

swordsage is also good here with shadow hand and desert wind focus

Starbuck_II
2010-07-21, 05:31 PM
I was DMing for a group the other night and one of the players made a halfling rogue. The thing is that the halfling is weak on damage and jokes are made about him coming up a little short. There is no problem, but halflings are listed high on my list of races. So I offered the challenge that after the mod was finished someone else could DM (I know one player wants to run a Dawn of the Dead scenario) and I would build a halfling that would be a powerhouse.
So, my question that I would like to ask is how would you build a powerful 1st-3rd level 3.5 halfling? Assume that I have access to most of the books but no dragon mags. Thanks in advance.

Does it have to be melee?
Luck Stealer is cool, but not low level.

gallagher
2010-07-21, 05:33 PM
if you want to actually show them how good a rogue can be, you should also get a wand of grease, max your hide, get improved initiative, get something with reach and attack from behind a bush when nobody is suspecting it

Dr.Epic
2010-07-21, 05:33 PM

What build are you going for?

SurlySeraph
2010-07-21, 06:28 PM
I'd go with a Swordsage (from Tome of Battle) focusing on Shadow Hand maneuvers, taking Two Weapon Fighting, and taking the Shadow Blade feat to add your Dex to damage.

mjames
2010-07-21, 06:41 PM
If faerun is allowed, go with strongheart halfling. You keep the the stats and size, lose the +1 to saves, but get a bonus feat. Helps the little guy keep up with the Big Folk.

gallagher
2010-07-21, 08:00 PM
a spellthief 1/Sorc X with master spellthief would be pretty cool, but i dont know if you can meat the prereq's at level 3

snoopy13a
2010-07-21, 08:42 PM

Make a wizard (someone had to say it) :smallbiggrin:

Although, in the right game, a skillmonkey halfling rogue would be a very useful character at low levels. Indications are that the ruleset doesn't like halflings very much. They get a bonus to throwing weapons and slings but throwing weapons aren't that great and slings are horrid (plus they have to use small weapons and have a strength penalty). Not to mention relatively small stuff such as the +2 jump skill bonus. Due to the a strength penalty and small size the "+2 jump bonus" is in reality a de facto -5 bonus (-6 for 20 speed, -1 for strength penalty). Obviously, this is a little academic because who gets the jump skill :smalltongue:

The best possible choices are likely casters. The strength penalty doesn't hurt very much and the dexterity bonus and small size improves AC. In addition, the saving roll bonus isn't too shabby.

Sc00by
2010-07-21, 09:13 PM
Halfling Druid with a Wartrained Riding Dog. :smallwink:

The varient halflings (well a couple of them) get bonuses to useful skills, or go strongheart for some feat love.

For instance; the Desert (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/environmentalRacialVariants.htm#desertHalflings) halfling gets a bonus to a couple of skills you might use...

mjames
2010-07-21, 09:23 PM
It's mainly about how you play. From a roleplay perspective they are fun little people with a zest for life.

Heck my girlfriend, who is short enough to almost be a halfling herself :smalltongue: , made a character who was a halfling rogue who specialized in throwing one the worst weapons possible... simple small daggers. With the right feats and skill tricks, devastating. That of course is more of a long-term plan, but even at low levels she was more consistant than our fighter or my (poorly chosen and un-optimized) spells.

Play the heck out of the little bugger and make them respect the Lil' Folk. Other wise pray really hard to Yondalla to smite them...

Halfling Druid with a Wartrained Riding Dog. :smallwink:

The varient halflings (well a couple of them) get bonuses to useful skills, or go strongheart for some feat love.

For instance; the Desert (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/environmentalRacialVariants.htm#desertHalflings) halfling gets a bonus to a couple of skills you might use...

Seconded! Do Strongheart Halfling Druid with the 1st level Halfling Druid variant and the 13th level variant level, but skip the 5th level of it. With the first level of it you get extra skill points (6+int)X4, and add hide and move silently to your class skills.

cupkeyk
2010-07-21, 11:17 PM
I once played a nonspellcasting variant ranger with the mounted combat chain, started with a dog and ended with a dire hawk. Used to do a hunnerd fifty damage on a hit. I recall having several maneuvers from ToB too but its been years isnce that happened.

HunterOfJello
2010-07-22, 12:21 AM
What level?

~

If your friend's damage was bad, then he obviously should have been using the Halfing Rogue Racial Substitution Levels along with a sling and some daggers for throwing. The Strongheart Halfling race would also be better.

A Strongheart Halfling Rogue 1 with 16 Dexterity could grab Point Blank Shot and Rapid Shot at first level. They would then have a +5 to attack with a normal attack or +3/+3 with Rapid Shot, along with doing +2d6 damage per shot when sneak attacking. (The +5 to attack coming from Point Blank Shot's +1, Halfling +1 to slings, and +3 from dexterity.)

At level 3, a Halfling Rogue with substitution levels has +3d6 Ranged Sneak Attack damage.

Then, for replacing the lousy Trap Sense +1 at lvl 3, the Halfling can choose to get Theif's Luck 1/day (replace a failed reflex save) or take Penetrating Strike (which lets you half sneak attack damage some enemies that are normally resistant to sneak attacks).

~

If you don't want to go Rogue, then take Weapon Finesse and Adaptive Style as your 2 feats as a Strongheart Halfling Swordsage. At level 3 you can grab Shadow Blade and be slicing and dicing all over the place.

Radar
2010-07-22, 05:18 AM
There is an interesting build, that takes immense advantege of smaller then usual size: I May Be Tiny, But You're Dead (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872846/I_May_Be_Tiny_But_Youre_Dead_the_other_melee_Kille r_Gnome_for_your_pleasure)
It is based on a gnome and the best parts come in mid to high levels, but you might pick up some stuff from there anyway.

Traveler
2010-07-22, 09:07 AM
Thanks for all of the feedback! When the time comes, I know one party that will be shocked and awed.:smallbiggrin: