PDA

View Full Version : Ability Specific Classes

TechnOkami
2010-07-21, 05:43 PM
In particular, I'm looking for classes which primarily use Dexterity and Wisdom. Anyone know of such stuff?

P.S. This is for the 3.5 rule setting.

theos911
2010-07-21, 05:46 PM
Monk? Actually they work for any scores.....

Morph Bark
2010-07-21, 05:47 PM
Unarmed Swordsage?

Saya
2010-07-21, 05:47 PM
Swordsage? (I think, need to read up on ToB again)

AslanCross
2010-07-21, 05:48 PM
Swordsage, definitely. A Shadow Hand Swordsage that uses Shadow Blade would make especially good use of Dex+Wis.

KillianHawkeye
2010-07-21, 05:58 PM
Ninjas also make good use of Dex and Wisdom (provided you take Weapon Finesse). Or archer Rangers. Or any Wisdom-based spellcaster that doesn't get much armor proficiency, really.

Eldariel
Archer Cleric. Also, Finesse Cleric. And Ardent. Some Psy War builds would also certainly qualify. Some Shapeshift Druid variants.

Greenish
Soulbow is mostly wis-sad.

Ninja, but that's just a second-rate rogue.

Dr.Epic
2010-07-21, 06:00 PM
Monk? Actually they work for any scores.....

Yeah I second that. Monk seems like the best choice. or maybe ranger

Caphi
2010-07-21, 06:01 PM
Swordsaaaage.

PId6
2010-07-21, 06:04 PM
Yeah I second that. Monk seems like the best choice.
I agree, definitely monk. Setting Sun + Shadow Hand monk would work best, possibly going into ninja later.

The Rose Dragon
2010-07-21, 06:05 PM
Fast Hero and Dedicated Hero. [/thread]

Might be a good idea to indicate what system.

Greenish
2010-07-21, 06:08 PM
Setting Sun + Shadow Hand monk would work bestWasn't that called something different? Like axerosemary or spearthyme or something like that…

[Edit]: Oh yeah, hammerparsley!

Eldan
2010-07-21, 06:12 PM
You mean the Kukri-curry. :smalltongue:

theos911
2010-07-21, 07:06 PM
An Unarmed Sage-Sage:smallbiggrin:

Optimystik
2010-07-21, 07:10 PM
3rd party, but the Marksman (http://dsp-d20-srd.wikidot.com/marksman) psionic class makes great use of both Wis and Dex.

I agree, definitely monk. Setting Sun + Shadow Hand monk would work best, possibly going into ninja later.

What you did there, I see it

theos911
2010-07-21, 07:15 PM
What you did there, I see it

I don't. Then again idk what those 2 middle mentioned things are.(I do know what a monk and ninja are)

The Shadowmind
2010-07-21, 07:42 PM
I don't. Then again idk what those 2 middle mentioned things are.(I do know what a monk and ninja are)

Ever heard of an unarmed swordsage? (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Ptitle0t9r68ih?from=Main.DontExplainTheJoke)

Andion Isurand
2010-07-21, 08:13 PM
Dwarven Cloistered Cleric Archer (using Bardic Knack substitution from PHB2)

w/ Knowledge Devotion instead of Knowledge Domain
w/ War Domain
w/ One other domain

Divine Power makes up for low BAB

* Zen Archery feat (wisdom to ranged attack rolls)

* Holy Warrior reserve feat (add bonus to weapon dmg rolls equal to highest spell level of uncast war domain spell)

* Ancestral Knowledge feat (make knowledge checks using wis... + Bardic Knack)

etc, etc

theos911
2010-07-21, 08:41 PM
Ever heard of an unarmed swordsage? (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Ptitle0t9r68ih?from=Main.DontExplainTheJoke)

Seting sun sounds like some ToB stuff. Since I don't know any ToB stuff, I'll just opt out since there's no hope in me getting it.

ANYWAY!

If you are considering the above, might as well layer on the cheesey sauce and use this:

Here's a way to get more archery-related feats in a mostly spellcasting build; it's got something for everybody.

Race: Wood Elf (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/elf.htm#woodElf) (+2 DEX, +2 STR, -2 CON, -2 INT; Favored Class: Ranger). Alignment: within 1 step of Chaotic Good. You'll need to join the Order of the Shooting Star (see Champions of Valor). This build requires DEX 17 by the time you get to level 9 for Manyshot, and DEX 19 later if you pick up Improved Precise Shot.

Cloistered Cleric 1 of Solonor Thelandira. Domains: Knowledge, War, Elf; gain Weapon Focus (longbow) and Point Blank Shot feats as granted powers. Level 1 feat: Precise Shot. Should pick up 1+ ranks in Knowledge (arcana) and 4 ranks in Knowledge (religion).
Mystic Ranger 1 (Ranger variant in Dragon # 336, page 105). Gain wild empathy, Track feat. Should pick up 5 ranks in Survival.
Cloistered Cleric 2. Level 3 feat: Far Shot.
Cloistered Cleric 3.
Mystic Ranger 2. Take Arcane Hunter ACF (Complete Mage, page 32) to get Favored Enemy: Arcanists. Gain 3 more ranks in Survival to get 8 total ranks.
Seeker of the Misty Isle (Complete Divine, page 61) 1. Gain Travel as bonus domain; convert this to Travel Devotion (Complete Champion, page 62) feat. Level 6 feat: Dead Eye (Dragon Compendium, page 95): add DEX bonus to arrow damage within 30'.
Mystic Ranger 3. Choose combat style: archery; this grants the Rapid Shot feat.
Mystic Ranger 4. Gain Endurance as a bonus feat.
Seeker of the Misty Isle 2. You'll now have BAB 6. Level 9 feat: Manyshot.
Seeker of the Misty Isle 3.
Seeker of the Misty Isle 4. Do the Dark Chaos Shuffle (Fiendish Codex I, pages 92 & 95) to swap Track and Endurance for

Sword of the Arcane Order feat (Champions of Valor, page 34): cast Wizard arcane spells in Ranger spell slots; and
Holy Warrior reserve feat (Complete Champion, page 60): add level of highest reserved War spell to weapon damage.
You'll now have Cleric 7 spellcasting, BAB 8, and can cast Ranger/Wizard spells at levels 0-2.
If you want to spread on the cheese sauce, this is where you would do the Dark Chaos Shuffle with the 4 Elf bonus feats and pick up Extend Spell, Persistent Spell, Divine Metamagic (Persistent Spell), and Extra Turning; persist Divine Power to keep your BAB up all day.

At this point you qualify to enter Arcane Archer, or you can continue with Seeker of the Misty Isle for more Cleric spellcasting plus other benefits of that PrC.

With Divine Power you'll be at BAB 11.
You'll add (DEX mod +1) to attacks, and (with a composite longbow) (STR mod +4) to damage. (The +1 is from Weapon Focus; the +4 is from Holy Warrior.)
Within 30' you'll add an additional +1 to attacks, and (DEX mod + 1) to damage. (The +1 is from Point Blank Shot; the DEX mod is from Dead Eye.)
You'll have 10 useful feats (or 14 with the cheesy sauce added), without flaws. If at some point you think you've got enough skill ranks in the various Knowledges, you can convert Knowledge domain to Knowledge Devotion for bonuses to attack and damage against the corresponding creature types.

BTW, this was probably the coolest build ever presented to me. anywhere.

Curmudgeon
2010-07-21, 09:07 PM
If you are considering the above, might as well layer on the cheesey sauce and use this: Because of the way the board does quotes, you actually lost the "cheesy sauce" justification; here's the original post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8638823&postcount=45). Do note that I only presented the cheesy part for the sake of thoroughness; I don't actually advocate that exploit.

BTW, this was probably the coolest build ever presented to me. anywhere.
Nice to be appreciated. :smallsmile:

theos911
2010-07-21, 09:31 PM
Because of the way the board does quotes, you actually lost the "cheesy sauce" justification; here's the original post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8638823&postcount=45). Do note that I only presented the cheesy part for the sake of thoroughness; I don't actually advocate that exploit.

Oopps, sorry about that.

Andion Isurand
2010-07-21, 10:43 PM
I wonder if one can combine the elf ranger level substiution and arcane hunter varient @ level 1 ranger

Curmudgeon
2010-07-21, 10:53 PM
I wonder if one can combine the elf ranger level substiution and arcane hunter varient @ level 1 ranger
You could. You'd get the lower hit die and increased skill points, and then get Favored Enemy: Arcanists as you swap the (substituted) Elf Favored Enemy. (This would include losing the Elf Ranger’s later improvements to his favored enemy ability.)