PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question on Duskblades

Vin Robinson
2010-07-22, 12:19 AM
If you have sneak attack dice for some reason, and you Arcane Channel a spell through your weapon, would the sneak attack damage trigger for the weapon damage and spell damage, or just once?

My google-fu isn't working right now. Sorry for the probably dumb question.

faceroll
2010-07-22, 12:21 AM
Sneak attack damage only triggers if you have to make an attack roll. Since you only make one attack roll, you only get it once. If you were to channel the spell through your gauntlet and then TWF with a sword or something in the other hand, you'd get it twice.

Private-Prinny
2010-07-22, 12:22 AM
You are making a single attack with a single action that just so happens to have two sources of damage. It only triggers once, otherwise every Rogue would put a Flaming Shocking Frost Dagger at the top of their shopping list.

HunterOfJello
2010-07-22, 02:01 AM
one attack = one sneak attack bonus

Ranos
2010-07-22, 02:17 AM
Actually, no. You deliver the spell as normal, except through your weapon rather than through touch. So if the spell normally gets sneak attack, you get sneak attack twice.

Thing is, you'd need to have a weaponlike spell to deliver sneak attack through it, and I can't think of any weaponlike touch spells (And no, in case that was your mistake, the ranged spells can't be channeled).

AslanCross
2010-07-22, 04:00 AM
Actually, no. You deliver the spell as normal, except through your weapon rather than through touch. So if the spell normally gets sneak attack, you get sneak attack twice.

Thing is, you'd need to have a weaponlike spell to deliver sneak attack through it, and I can't think of any weaponlike touch spells (And no, in case that was your mistake, the ranged spells can't be channeled).

As far as I can tell, Rules Compendium is clear that you only get one batch of sneak attack dice per attack roll. A duskblade delivering a touch spell (such as shocking grasp) through his sword only needs to make one roll. Thus, he only gets sneak attack dice once.

Ranos
2010-07-22, 04:07 AM
Oh, forgot to check the rules compendium. Where does it say that ?

And right, there ARE weaponlike touch spells, like shocking grasp. That was just me needing more sleep.

Runestar
2010-07-22, 05:48 AM
If you have trouble visualizing it, think of the channeled spell as say, the extra fire damage from a flaming weapon. A rogue doesn't deal extra SA damage with the fire damage, does he?

AslanCross
2010-07-22, 08:32 AM
Oh, forgot to check the rules compendium. Where does it say that ?

And right, there ARE weaponlike touch spells, like shocking grasp. That was just me needing more sleep.

Page 42, under the heading "Precision Damage."

Ranos
2010-07-22, 08:39 AM
Page 42, under the heading "Precision Damage."
Hm. Are you sure about this ? I just don't see anything about one sneak attack per attack roll. It does seem to be RAI though.

If you have trouble visualizing it, think of the channeled spell as say, the extra fire damage from a flaming weapon. A rogue doesn't deal extra SA damage with the fire damage, does he?
Well yes, but it's a different thing altogether. A flaming sword gives extra damage. An arcane channeled spell is a spell you cast on the guy on top of hitting for damage. Of course, I see your point, but I'm just talking RAW here.

AslanCross
2010-07-22, 08:55 AM
The very last part. Actually the RAW is more of "anything other than a full attack that gives you multiple attacks per round gets sneak attack only once." If the Duskblade's arcane channeling is indeed two different attacks, as you said, it still only gets sneak attack once since it's more than one attack and yet not a full attack.

Ranos
2010-07-22, 08:58 AM
Oh. Oooooh. I didn't even notice that part did that. Good catch.