PDA

View Full Version : OOTS books in New York stores.

casper
2010-07-22, 03:15 AM
I live in Russia and going to visit USA. One of the thinks I want to do there is to buy OOTS books. My credit card doesn't fit for ordering it, nor could I find it in russian stores, so that is probably my first opportynity to read OotPCs and SoD.
If there are any playgrounders from New York, who know, where can I directly buy OOTS books in that city (if ther is any such place) I will really be grateful for help.
Sorry if that would count as advertising...

Allan Surgite
2010-07-22, 04:23 AM
*scratches chin* I've never been to New York (much closer to the real York), but I'd assume that most comic book stores would stock them. Might have to get a real New York forumite to inform you.

Porthos
2010-07-22, 04:57 AM
*scratches chin* I've never been to New York (much closer to the real York), but I'd assume that most comic book stores would stock them. Might have to get a real New York forumite to inform you.

RPG Hobby shops (otherwise known as Friendly Local Game Stores) would probably be a better bet, though some of the larger comic shops might have them as well.

LuPuWei
2010-07-22, 05:39 AM
RPG Hobby shops (otherwise known as Friendly Local Game Stores) would probably be a better bet, though some of the larger comic shops might have them as well.

Not Borders?

Ancalagon
2010-07-22, 05:43 AM
If no New Yorker with a Clue (TM) shows up, you can always google comic-stores and RPG-shops.

Pick some that lie convenient and mail them. Ask if they have the books you want and if they reserve them for or if they order them for you.

Then, just go to the store and pick the stuff up.

In fact, I'd do that even if some New Yorker shows up and tells you "Store A always has them". You simply do not want to hit the two weeks when they are out of stock when the internet makes it easy to find to 100% what you are looking for by talking to people weeks before you board your plane.

Nimrod's Son
2010-07-22, 08:55 AM
Given that I've had no trouble whatsoever buying all six in a rather small city in England, I'd be absolutely astounded if you couldn't find them in New York without trying too hard.

allenw
2010-07-22, 09:13 AM
I'm not a New Yorker, but I visit from time to time.
You should certainly call or email ahead to make sure, but I'd try:

The Compleat Strategist New York City Location (Gaming Store)
11 East 33rd Street (between Madison and Fifth Avenue)
New York, NY 10016
212-685-3880
Hours: Monday-Wednesday - 10:30 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Friday-Saturday - 10:30 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Thursday - 10:30 a.m. - 9:00 p.m.
Sunday - Closed
http://www.thecompleatstrategist.com

Jim Hanley's Universe (Comic Store)
4 West 33rd St.,
New York, New York
(opposite The Empire State Building)
(212) 268-7088
Store Hours:
Monday - Saturday: 9:00 am - 11:00 pm
Sunday: 10:00 am - 9:00 pm
http://jhuniverse.blogspot.com/

Midtown Comics (2 stores, near Times Square and Grand Central Station; see website for addresses)
http://www.midtowncomics.com/

Forbidden Planet - New York Store
840 Broadway
New York, NY 10003
United States
http://www.fpnyc.com/store/content/268/New-York-Store/

Niveus Candidus
2010-07-22, 11:22 AM
My hometown! If you cannot find it in New York, it either doesn't exist or you do not have the connections to find the best black market vendors. Its a big place, and a lot of first timers are surprised when their stay isn't walking distance to the Empire State Building, Ground Zero (This is not a tourist attraction, please do not wrap your arm over your loved ones and take pictures in front of it) and Yankee Stadium all at once. Where are you staying? If necessary, we can call a nearby store for you and make sure they have copies.

Fitzclowningham
2010-07-22, 11:38 AM
Skip Midtown Comics - they don't carry 'em (or they've been sold out all 6 times I've been there lately).

casper, you should call all the stores when you get here.

Ancalagon
2010-07-22, 12:15 PM
Casper, you should call all the stores when you get here.

Why that? Via email, you can arrange everything weeks in advance from russia. With or without love, your choice.

You can even get them to order it for you so you can pick it up in the store if they do not have it in stock...

Dr.Epic
2010-07-22, 02:17 PM
I don't think Rich sells his book in stores like Borders and Barnes & Noble because he only make money if they sell. I do think they'll order the books for you if you ask.

LuPuWei
2010-07-22, 02:55 PM
I don't think Rich sells his book in stores like Borders and Barnes & Noble because he only make money if they sell. I do think they'll order the books for you if you ask.

Thanks. 8 9 10.

Ancalagon
2010-07-22, 03:53 PM

No clue how business in america works but german bookshops do just that (probably not from overseas but that's not an issue for "OotS in New York").

casper
2010-07-22, 03:53 PM
Thanks everyone for advices!
While I'm still waiting for someone to say "Store A always has them", now I understand, what I can try if there wouldn't be such a luck :-)

Ancalagon
2010-07-22, 03:56 PM
Well, "Use google and contact people" is never such a bad idea. ;)