PDA

View Full Version : Tier 4 Debuffer

quiet1mi
2010-07-22, 05:17 AM
Placed restrictions upon myself for party balance. No Class above Tier 4 allowed...

Playing in a Level 8 with some friends and decided to play yet another support character, but rather than buffing allies with greater invisibility and haste, I thought I would debuff enemies with demoralize, Trip, Sickened, and cursed...

Here is the Class list...

(The GM is allowing the online Fix) Hexblade 4, Monk of the Passive way 2, Paladin of Tyranny 2.

Race: Human
Feats: (Bonus feats are underlined)
Power Attack
_____
_____
Skill focus Bluff
Improved Unarmed Attack
Combat Expertise
Improved Trip
Imperious Command

Blank lines are where I cannot think of a feat...

Person_Man
2010-07-22, 09:11 AM
Good debuff builds generally want a Daze effect. At your level and tier, your options are Shield Slam, Anvil of Thunder, Boomerang Daze, Killoren Smite, Devoted Inquisitor, Dire Flail Smash, Arcane Focus soulmeld, Incarnum Blast invocation, Dahlver-Nar vestige, Dazing Strike maneuver, and a few magic items.

In addition to the standard Hexblade/Paladin of Tyranny (which I consider a defense build, rather then a debuffer) you might want to consider Hexblade/Blackguard (for Sneak Attack, so that you can use the Staggering Strike feat), Binder, or Incarnate (although they're arguably Tier 3 when played properly). I would go with Binder 8, and then head into Scion of Dantalion.

Also, be sure to pick up a magic weapon with a debuffing effect. You want to force as many Saves per round as possible, and weapons with otherwise pointless Save DC's become very useful in a debuffer's hands.

Critical
2010-07-22, 09:48 AM
Umm, Hexblade 4/Paladin 2/Arcane Duelist 10/something 4(Kensai, perhaps, for a total of almost free +8 enchantment bonus?) You should get your panther pet over your desired opponent and have debuffing enchantments(like, Stunning, for example) along with power attack. You could also get your paladin level to 3 for more saving throw debuffing.

Tytalus
2010-07-22, 11:07 AM
In addition to the standard Hexblade/Paladin of Tyranny (which I consider a defense build, rather then a debuffer) you might want to consider Hexblade/Blackguard (for Sneak Attack, so that you can use the Staggering Strike feat), Binder, or Incarnate (although they're arguably Tier 3 when played properly. I would go with Binder 8, and then head into Scion of Dantalion.

Binder is solid Tier 3 (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?PHPSESSID=3im4cod1fa3mf81allaa9h3ed7&topic=5293.0).

Perhaps you can get a few ideas from this old build of mine. It's basically a lockdown debuffer. Just remove the (Tier 3) initiator levels (and perhaps the levels of Warshaper) and replace them accordingly.

Here's an alternative build, for a non-evil game and with a slightly different focus. The idea is to combine the debuffing with basic lockdown functionality. After all, you don’t want people to leave your zone of terror...

Changeling

Feat Rogue 2 / Hexblade 4 / Fighter 2 / Cleric 1 / Bard 2 / Warshaper 4 / Warblade 2 / Crusader 2 / XXX 1
(Not in that order)

7 Normal Feats + 1 Flaw (not in order):
- Dreadful Wrath
- Extra Favored Class: Hexblade (or drop Hexblade altogether)
- Extra Music, Doomspeak
- Pierce Magical Protections
- Pierce Magical Concealment
- Bind Vestige
- Improved Binding (for Folacor)
- Combat Reflexes

- (if 2nd flaw is allowed): Able Learner

4 Fighter bonus feats (not in order):
- Hold the Line
- Stand Still
- Close Combat Fighting (to avoid pesky grapples)
- Mage Slayer

Domains:
Death (trade for Death Devotion), and one of the following: Charm (CHA boost), Dream (fear immunity), Fate (uncanny dodge), Liberation / Pride (reroll saves), Time (Improved Initiative), Undeath (Extra Turning)

Essential Maneuvers:
- Iron Heart Surge

Essential Stances:
- Thicket of Blades

Highlights: Debuffing
- Shaken condition (from Dreadful Wrath)
- Hexblade's Curse (free action, 1/day)
- Dark Companion (from Hexblade 4)
- Doomspeak (a whopping -10 penalty)
- Aura of Sadness (Folacor)
- Death Devotion (a negative level from his mace, 1/4 levels max)
- Bestow Curse (from his Spell-Storing weapon)
- Various status effects on critical hits (which are quite frequent) depending on weapon enchantments

Highlights: Weapon
- +1 Sudden Stunning (+3K, DMG2) Scimitar with
- Keen (+1)
- Prismatic Burst (30k)
- Greater Dispelling (+2)
- Spellstoring (+1): for Bestow Curse
- Various effects that trigger on critical hits and bestow debuffing / disabling conditions, such as Paralytic Burst, Slow Burst, Weakening, Cursespewing, etc.

Highlights: Lockdown
- 10ft. reach with normal melee weapon (scimitar)
- Any form of movement triggers AoO (Combat Reflexes included)
- Spellcasting draws AoOs
- Grapple attempts draw AoOs, even with Improved Grab / Grapple
- AoOs can be used to force opponents to “Stand Still”

Defense:
- Great saves (multiclassing) with Arcane Resistance, Evasion and Mettle
- Warshaper Immunities (stunning, critical hits)
- Fast Healing
- Potentially ability to reroll certain saves (see domains, above)

Options:
- Use fractional BAB if possible

Thoughts:
- A little all over the place, but quite effective. If someone has any idea how to get it done with less multiclassing, I’d be happy to know.
- Damage is perhaps a little low to guarantee success with AoO effects.

Optimystik
2010-07-22, 11:10 AM
Shadowcasters get great debuffing techniques, and they are Tier 3-4. (You need the designer's fix (http://www.enworld.org/forum/general-rpg-discussion/184955-shadowcaster-fixes-mouseferatu.html) for them to reach 3.) Very unique class too.

You could also try the Pathfinder Witch (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/extras/advanced-player-s-guide-playtest/witch---final-playtest-version) as a debuffer.

Darkxarth
2010-07-22, 11:20 AM
You could also try the Pathfinder Witch (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/extras/advanced-player-s-guide-playtest/witch---final-playtest-version) as a debuffer.

Interesting. They removed the Advanced Player Class links from the class page, but the actual pages still exist on the site. Glad you posted that link, Optimystik.

Optimystik
2010-07-22, 11:40 AM
Interesting. They removed the Advanced Player Class links from the class page, but the actual pages still exist on the site. Glad you posted that link, Optimystik.

According to this page, (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/extras/advanced-player-s-guide-playtest) Paizo is okay with it so... get them while you can?

quiet1mi
2010-07-22, 12:08 PM
Classes to chose from:

Rogue, Barbarian, Warlock, Warmage, Scout, Ranger, Hexblade, Adept, Spellthief, Marshal, Fighter (Dungeoncrasher Variant)

Fighter, Monk, CA Ninja, Healer, Swashbuckler, Rokugan Ninja, Soulknife, Expert, OA Samurai, Paladin, Knight

I like the idea of Blackguard over Paladin of Tyranny.

Hexblade 4 Stays, and I feel that Monk of the Passive way also stays for the evasion, +3 to all saves, decisive strike, and the bonus feats it brings to the table.

The new build looks like this
Feats:
Power Attack
Cleave
Improved Sunder
Skill Focus Bluff
Combat Expertise
Improved Trip
Imperious Command

Now the only thing that bothers me is I have Hexblade 4, Monk 2 and I cannot enter Blackguard until 8th level... so one level is just floating around. Perhaps Binder 1 for some neat abilities?

quiet1mi
2010-07-22, 02:18 PM
I definitly want this build to inflict large penalties on opponents over just Daze-Locking them... Going through everything, this is what I noticed.

The Hexblade 4/Paladin of Tyranny X build has dark companion, double Cha to saves, and Aura of Dispair. Going straight Hexblade 8 gives us greater Hexblade Curse (Making up for the lost -2 penalty), in addition trading a Cha to saves (in this case +5) for level 2 spells (means I could wand them).

Looking through the Tome of Magic, I found Bind Vestige and Improve Bind Vestige to gain the Aura of Sadness. I do not think that this build can spare the feats sadly...

Monk of the Passive Way 2 was originally there to give us evasion-mettle-high save combo but what pushes it over Rogue 2 is the +3 to all saves, and the bonus feats.

I guess I could go the Hexblade 7 for the greater Curse, then go Blackguard X for Aura of Despair and the Dark Blessing with Able learner. Or I guess I could just spring for Hexblade 8/ Blackguard X

As for Feats if I am going for Blackguard it looks like the following:
Power Attack, Cleave, Improved Sunder, Imperious Command, (9:Brutal Strike), (12:Goad [Dun Moch FTW])

The Feat constraints is the main thing that bothers me about Blackguard over Paladin of Tyranny.

What do you guys think...

Coidzor
2010-07-22, 02:32 PM
Well, with the right feats, a martial-type (can't remember if Barb, Zhent-Dungeoncrasher, or Samurai gets it better) can intimidate-lock debuff, IIRC.

As an aside, anyway.

kabof
2010-07-22, 02:36 PM
I'll just drop this here. As Person Man said, it's more of a defensive build then a debuffer.

Feat Rogue 2/Hexblade 4/Ravager 1/Blackguard 1

01. Able Learner
01. Power Attack
01. Dreadfull Wrath
02. Improved Sunder
03. Cleave
06. Imperious Command

PId6
2010-07-22, 02:37 PM
Zhentarim Fighter 8? You're one level away from Swift Intimidate, and you can deal pretty good damage with Dungeoncrasher. If buyoff's allowed, go Goliath with Knockback and do some pretty scary stuff.

Delusion
2010-07-22, 02:57 PM
Wouldn't Dragonfire adept be a tier 4? (warlock is)

They have rather nice debuff effects.

PId6
2010-07-22, 02:58 PM
Wouldn't Dragonfire adept be a tier 4? (warlock is)
Solid Tier 3. They're much better designed than warlocks, and tend to be quite a bit stronger as well.