PDA

View Full Version : Vampire2948's Sandbox Campaign - 1st Party

vampire2948
2010-07-22, 11:33 AM
Following an advertisement that you chanced upon a few days ago, you find yourself in Dracshore, a monastery-city devoted to a pantheon of obscure mercantile Gods. The clerics and monks of the various orders that follow these Gods honor them primarily by maintaining the city as one of the largest gathering places of merchants and gold in the world.
The noble that the advertisement directs you to lives in one of the more wealthy districts of the city, in the estate of the Tylin family. But you are not to go there, a meeting place is mentioned on the notice, saying to meet one of his underlings at an inn, The Dragon’s Appendage on the next day, to discuss the terms of your employment as mercenaries under the noble.

At this time of the day, the sun is high in the sky, and the city is busy with merchants rushing around, a few well-dressed nobles, and lower class men, women and children performing various tasks for their employers.
The majority of people are human, or look to be human, with Halflings being the second most common race. The town is certainly human architecture, with most buildings put together of stone and wood, with little elegance or attention to the styles of the other buildings near them.

OOC - So, you’re in a large town with most of the usual attractions. Feel free to use this day to meet other PCs, NPCs, purchase items, or roleplay as you wish.
Your appointment on the next day is optional.

The city borders the sea to the south, and with fairly flat plain-like land stretching in all other directions. There’re various temples to the Gods that are worshipped here, some of them in the middle of the market areas, others further away and more private.

If you would like more description of anything, just ask in an OOC fashion.
You may begin anywhere you wish within the town. With the most likely points of entry being via boat, or through one of the town gates. Or, you could live there if you prefer.

I hope you all enjoy this game as much as I will. :smallsmile:

aivanther
2010-07-22, 12:05 PM
Jayel sits on the back of a farmer's wagon, thorougly bored. When he'd left home, he'd thought there would be a bit more to adventure than walking. And he'd been right, apparently, as he was now hitchhiking on the back of a farmer's wagon bound for a market or some such.

As they approach the gates, the farmer grunts, "Here we be, so here you get off. Good luck to you young'n. Don't get yerself killed on yer "adventuers""

Hopping down, Jayel bows slightly and says, "Thank you, good sir. I appareciate the lift." He then walks towards the town gates and entered the city. A little overawed at first at the bustle, Jayel quickly gains his bearings. Finding a boy who appears to be without much to do he shows him a silver piece and says, "I've got this for you, if you can take me to the Dragon's Appendage."

zagan
2010-07-22, 12:28 PM
After leaving the monastery Aser wandered the town aimlessly just enjoying the feeling fo being free, a feeling he still savoured even after a decade of freedom.
The sight of a warforged as always draw curious eyes, but he ignored them he was accustomed to it.
Decicing to go look for the Dragon's Appendage Inn he continue walking this time with a purpose, he take him some time but he was in no hurry and wouldn't tire anyway.
Once there he look curiously around wondering why the rendez-vous was there and what the mission could be.

OOC:

Could you give a quick description of the outside of the Inn ? And also perhaps of the other building around ?

Iun
2010-07-22, 01:09 PM
Atė looks through her few possessions before she leaves the jail behind her, wandering around aimlessly for a while.
Less than three feet tall, willowy with pale skin, wavy black hair that reaches the small of her back, and eyes the color and depths of a moonlit lake, the young halfling woman looks far too lovely to have just been released from the building behind her, and the few people who occupy the streets in these quarters keep looking at her in wonder.

Once she reaches a more prosperous part of the city the sulky look vanishes from her face, replaced by her usual mask of good humor. After checking her stuff for a last time, she carefully readjusts her clothes - a long silk bandage with delicate golden writings covering the important parts of her body, and giving the impression of something between a toga and a light summer dress - so that the five daggers tucked into the front are almost invisible.

All the while she is walking to the nearest city gates she keeps watching her back, expecting to be followed, but seeing nobody. When she finally reaches the gates, Atė tries to slip out at the same time a farmer's wagon enters the city, only to be held back by one of the hulking guards.

"Hey, you're not supposed to leave the city. Get your little thieving ass to the Dragon's Appendage, and don't try to rob anyone on the way!"

Showing her displeasure at being caught for only a few moments, she grins mischievously at the guard.

"Whatever you say."

Sleight of Hand check to lift the guards purse while she is being held: [roll0]

Walking away as if nothing has happened, Atė overhears Jayel asking for directions. After sizing him up, she approaches him and stretches her hand upwards in greeting.

"Any particular reason for the Appendage?"

Well, newcomers always seem like easy targets, so here's another one:
[roll1]

Aaluran
2010-07-22, 02:28 PM
Aldrian looks out into the plains as a distant gray speck disappears over the horizon. "You behave out there," he murmurs to himself, as he turns to take in the city. Cities still make him uncomfortable, even after all this time. Here, however, is an opportunity to do something good for a change. Hopefully.

The city is a bustle with motion and people, and Aldrian is glad to see that a man with a walking staff and cloak and clothes in shades of green and brown would go largely unnoticed. "One could get lost in a city like this," he notes with a smile. His ear catches "The Dragon's Appendage" and he notes the human and the halfling, but decides to ignore them for now. If they do turn up for the same offer, there'll be plenty of time for introductions. He pulls his hood up and sets out for a while to get a sense of the city's layout, before finding and making his way towards the Appendage.

OOC:Can I get some info on the layout? Like, what districts there are, any major landmarks, stuff like that? Just basic impressions one would get from a couple of hours' worth of walking around?

aivanther
2010-07-22, 05:46 PM
Spot Check: [roll0]

"I have to meet someone there and I would like to know where it is and what it's like before I need to meet someone. Though I don't imagine that really should matter to you. Now, will you take me or not?" Jayel says to the apparent child.

Iun
2010-07-23, 04:31 AM
"Vague enough. But since I'm on my way there to meet someone myself, I actually could take you along. My name's Atė Nightshade, by the way."

Atė's hand is still outstretched, though less enthusiastically as before.

aivanther
2010-07-23, 08:23 AM
"Vague, well, yes...there's a job I need to get there. An employment opportunity for those who want to adventure. Er...anyway, you get your silver after I'm there. Oh, and I'm Jayel. Recently arrived...though since I'm asking you to take me somewhere I'm sure you knew that already."

Iun
2010-07-23, 08:43 AM
The halfling grins at that last comment, and starts walking towards the inn.

"Yes, that seemed quite obvious. And I think we might be meeting the same person; although probably not for the same reason."

aivanther
2010-07-23, 07:41 PM
"Oh really, who is it you are meeting? I'm here to see a person from the Tylin family, you to? Why is you are meeting him? Me, I got tired of being treated as a guinea pig and to be someone other than my parents' toy in their game of one upmanship. They mean well, but you know how parents can be. Anyway, what about you?" Jayel rambles. You get the clear idea that he is a little to eager to share with people he hardly knows.

Iun
2010-07-24, 02:55 AM
Atė remains silent for a moment, then she starts laughing; it sounds a little forced.

"I think a guinea pig has quite a comfortable life, but I know what you mean."

More silence before the small woman answers Jayel's questions:

"Seems we are meeting the same person, though definitely not for the same reason. The whole thing's a fool's errand, if you ask me."

aivanther
2010-07-24, 09:10 AM
"Guinea pig's where I come from are used to see if a spell is lethal or not, if you can really use this spell to turn a mammal into a brick of iron. It's not a pleasant experience..." he trails off for a second, then says, "What do you mean a fools errand?"

Iun
2010-07-24, 04:34 PM
"Poor things... I mean it's rather pointless to pay a group of people with questionable background to play good samaritan just to satisfy some noble's ego. No offense, of course. And I think we're almost there..."

aivanther
2010-07-24, 05:13 PM
Jayel says, "Is this good samaritan work? I was unsure about the notice was about, but didn't have any idea of what to do. I guess it's convenient that I found you, as it makes things easier banding together..." he trails off, obviously thinking. "You are not a child at all, are you? I'm sorry, you must be a halfling, my apologies for making that confusion, Ms. Nightshade. Or is it Mrs?"

Iun
2010-07-25, 03:13 AM
Atė grins again, this time more earnestly.

"Miss, if you have to be that formal. Or do you just want to see whether I'm still available?", she gives Jayel a little wink, "And yes, I'm a halfling," turning her head sideways and lifting a few strands of hair to uncover her ears, she continues, "see the noble pointed ears and the aesthetically pleasing form of my head? Now you know what to look for; might be quite useful, too, in this city.
She pauses for a moment, looking around.
"If you're not bashful you might also look out for other things that don't come with a chi- ah we're there, look!"

Still smiling, Atė points at the Dragon's Appendage.

aivanther
2010-07-25, 08:08 AM
Jayel stammers, blushing at the forward implications of the halfling, "I uh, well..." When she announces their arrival at the Inn he takes a deep breath and then says, [b]"Shall we enter it then, Miss Ate, and see what is in store for us?"[/b[

Iun
2010-07-25, 10:58 AM
Seemingly oblivious to Jayel's stammering, Atė nods.

"Sure. I have never been in there myself, so from here I know about as much as you. If you would open the door..."

aivanther
2010-07-25, 12:52 PM
Jayel nods and moves to the door, holding it open for Ate and then following her inside. He then gives the room a quick survey and says, "Well, I guess this is the place. Tomorrow right? You think we should find anything in particular here before hand?"

Iun
2010-07-25, 01:17 PM
"Yes, tomorrow. I don't know about you, but girl's got to earn her living," Atė reaches behind and pats the violin-shaped bag on her back, more than half hidden by her hair. "See ya tomorrow, I guess."

Atė turns around and makes a step away from the inn, but then suddenly stops, turns back towards Jayel, and throws him something that should be very familiar to him.

"I almost forgot about that. Took the silver out already. Bye!"

With that, Atė leaves for her favorite market place, a spring in her step.

aivanther
2010-07-25, 01:38 PM
Jayel looks a little perplexed when he catches the purse, then he checks his purse and curses quietly. "You...she..." he stammers, but realizes she is gone. He quickly finds a table and attempts to discreetly count his coins to make sure they are all there. He then looks around the inn trying to figure out what to do, being a little lost and feeling betrayed.

Aaluran
2010-07-26, 09:33 AM
After his walk around the city and a few minutes following various directions, Aldrian finds himself in front of the Dragon's Appendage. As he steps in, a quick look around shows the usual slowly building bustle of the early afternoon, including the human from the city gate. He found the inn apparently. Only he doesn't look so happy about it.

Aldrian makes his way the the bar. "Excuse me, sir. How much for a single-bed room?" he asks the innkeeper. "I'll only be staying one night."

Iun
2010-07-26, 02:12 PM
Arriving at her favorite market - favorite mostly because it was free of any officials bugging her - Atė walks around for a while exchanging greetings and gossip with everyone she knows, then she proceeds to the center of the square, right next to a simple fountain, and gets her violin out of the bag.

Once everything is prepared she jumps onto the low wall of the fountain's pool and begins to play a few favorite tunes of the locals here, all the while circling the fountain, careful to keep her balance on the wet surface.

Within half an hour Atė is taking the usual requests, be it of the musical or acrobatic kind. After two hours she finally stops, exhausted, and not having earned much.

After having cleaned herself up and a few more exchanges of words - this time a bit more fruitful - Atė decides to have a drink and something to eat at the Dragon's Appendage, where she arrives a few minutes later.

Let's see how much she earned.
Perform: [roll0]
Tumble: [roll1]

And of course how much more she can gather about this soon-to-be mercenary group.
Gather Information: [roll2]

zagan
2010-07-26, 02:27 PM
Aser watch the exchange betwen the human and halfling curiously before dismissing it as unimportant. Tired of looking around he enter the tavern and sit a table wondering what would happen tomorow.