PDA

View Full Version : 4e: good leader builds/tips for a noob player

iElf
2010-07-22, 11:59 AM
hi, our group is starting a 4e campaign , using the system for the first time, and I wanted to get some tips to help me fulfil the role assigned to me: the leader. we will be playing an underdark campaign in forgotten realms, playing as low members of a noble Drow family, starting at lvl 1.

the material available to us is as follows:

PH1,2,3
MP1,2
AP
Forgotten realms players companion

I was looking at a hybrid Bard/warlord, but I'm not sure how to build him efectively

thanks for any and all help

Vitruviansquid
2010-07-22, 12:09 PM
It'd really help if you told us what the rest of your group will be playing. That way, we know what your leader will have to work with, and that can make an especially large different when you're playing a warlord.

iElf
2010-07-22, 12:16 PM
ok, sorry.

the others will be playing a Paladin, a wizard, and a undecided striker, probably ranged, possibly melee

another combination I have looked at would be a Bard/ardent hybrid , as the abilities are the same

Master_Rahl22
2010-07-22, 01:06 PM
If it's your first time playing 4E, it would probably be best not to go with a hybrid. In general, it's hard to make a bad 4E character but Hybrids are the exception to that rule. It's really easy to gimp yourself with a bad combination, or if you forgot that X class feature only works with powers from that class, or whatever.

That said, the most effective Warlord I've seen was one that I couldn't tell you details on, but that granted MBAs and extra actions like nobody's business in a party with a Barbarian, a Fighter, and a TWF Ranger. :smallbiggrin:

Spamotron
2010-07-22, 02:01 PM
I recommend the CO Board's Warlord Handbook by Lordduskblade http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/22579049/Chasing_Glory:_The_Warlords_Handbook and the Bard Handbook by Litigation http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/21106285/Cruel_Lullabies_The_Bard_Handbook. While I don't agree with everything they say I consider them both more right than wrong.

Kurald Galain
2010-07-22, 03:21 PM
If it's your first time playing 4E, it would probably be best not to go with a hybrid. In general, it's hard to make a bad 4E character but Hybrids are the exception to that rule.

This. Bard and warlord don't synergize particularly well. I would instead suggest playing a warlord with a bard multiclass feat, or perhaps a warlord that is carrying a lute around and calls himself a minstrel.

NMBLNG
2010-07-22, 05:02 PM
Ditto the "don't play a hybrid if you're noob".

Now, if you really are a noob, there are some general guidelines that I point out for beginner players:

Play a ranged character, not melee. As a melee character, you have to worry about positioning, flanking, shifting, and many other things. As ranged, all those close combat rules come down to 'don't be in melee'.

Play a character that has static or 'baked in' bonuses. A good example is the Warlords +2 initiative bonus: Always on. Rogue's sneak attack? Not always on.

Play a leader that gives other players options, rather than giving yourself options. Avoid situations where you have to decide between many different kinds of bonuses or attacks. For instance, deciding between a +1 AC, +1 hit,
or +2 damage, is more difficult than 'an ally shifts 1 square'. In the latter case, the player that needs it the most will ask for it the loudest.

That's all I can think of for now.