PDA

View Full Version : Fun with reincarnate (Pathfinder)

togapika
2010-07-22, 12:30 PM
So I'm an avid 3.5 player who got to play in my first Pathfinder game on Tuesday. I've been waiting to do so for a while, mainly because I wanted to try out the alchemist core class.

So I bring in an elven alchemist (5th Level) to the game, and he seemed to be doing pretty well, what with the killing it with fire and more fire. (Potent Bombs and Precise Bombs)

That is until we come upon some plant creatures who can grab us with tentacles, stun us, and then swallow whole. My character ends up getting hurt to -5hp and swallowed before he is cut out by a fellow party member. (9 Con) The party then stabilizes my character and puts him on the back of a horse of one of the party, which the paladin decides to use to ride in on and charge the other plant creature who was in combat with the druid. (Druid didn't want to leave his animal companion to die)

The DM Rolls randomly to see who the plant attacks (Me!) and does enough damage to kill me.
The party casts speak with dead and then gets me reincarnated, which I get to roll for, and end up with a new race of.....

DWARF!

So the DM rules that I keep all of the elven racial traits based on upbringing (Weapon profcs and such) and lose the traits of being an elf while gaining the traits of being a dwarf, but not traits of dwarven upbringing. For more fun, my character doesn't speak dwarven!

So assuming Reincarnate only affects physical ability scores, I am a dwarf with an 18 intelligence who is an alchemist.

What do I do now?

Jallorn
2010-07-22, 01:03 PM
Erm... ask if you can take both elf and dwarf specific prcs.

Birstel
2010-07-22, 01:32 PM
Learn to like beer, and stop drinking wine!:smalltongue:

Hurlbut
2010-07-22, 02:13 PM
Erm... ask if you can take both elf and dwarf specific prcs.For the elf specific PrCs, he'll have a hard time convincing elves who are not his immediate relatives (they would recognize him if he recounts their shared memories) to train him. And he would have to recount his 'lineage' to the dwarves or prove his worthiness to be trained in a dwarven PrC if he can't tell them his lineage.

Caphi
2010-07-22, 02:16 PM
What elven and dwarven PrCs? He doesn't qualify for arcane archer, deepstone sentinel, or eternal blade, and as an alchemist there's no reason to hit up dwarven defender. And you don't actually need someone else to be a racial paragon.

subject42
2010-07-22, 03:21 PM
What elven and dwarven PrCs? He doesn't qualify for arcane archer, deepstone sentinel, or eternal blade, and as an alchemist there's no reason to hit up dwarven defender. And you don't actually need someone else to be a racial paragon.

If he has a bad case of body dysmorphia, maybe Elf-Friend (whatever it's called) for roleplaying reasons?

togapika
2010-07-23, 01:02 AM
I'm currently a dwarf, who doesn't speak dwarven and has all the benefits as if he had been raised among elves (Which he was as an elf), but all the body benefits of being a dwarf, so I lost some dex, gained some con and some of the things like poison and spell resistance, etc.