PDA

View Full Version : Gaining Miss Chance.

CyMage
2010-07-22, 01:28 PM
Is there a compiled list of ways for a melee character to gain miss chance, preferably through gear? *The only thing I could find is How to shove it to beatsticks (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=331.0) but that focuses on spellcasting fairly exculsively.

Arcane-surge
2010-07-22, 01:29 PM
The easiest way is probably minor cloak of displacement, from the DMG.

Snake-Aes
2010-07-22, 01:34 PM
Psionics have Concealing Amorpha.
If you have access to pathfinder feats, Wind Stance and Lightning Stance give you concealment when you move.
Tome of Battle has a similar feat, or was it a stance?. ToB also gives a couple strikes that cause the enemy to have a miss chance.

Curmudgeon
2010-07-22, 01:43 PM
A Ring of Entropic Deflection (Magic Item Compendium) provides a 20% miss chance against ranged attacks if you move away at least 10' in the round. But if you also have an item to boost your speed that miss chance increases to 50%. Seems tailor-made for Scouts.

true_shinken
2010-07-22, 01:55 PM
Tome of Battle has a similar feat, or was it a stance?
It's a stance.

Glimbur
2010-07-22, 02:05 PM
A feat on Fellmist Robe from Magic of Incarnum will give you 10% miss chance against ranged attacks, or attacks from more than 5' away( reach and such).

Starbuck_II
2010-07-22, 02:21 PM
Shroud of Night (ToM) grants Super Displacement (displacement without targeting exception so basically closer to invisibility).

Telonius
2010-07-22, 02:37 PM
Spells that grant some form of miss chance (Core Only):
Blur
Displacement
Obscuring Mist
Fog Cloud
Incendiary Cloud
Stinking Cloud
Solid Fog
Darkness
Blink
Invisibility, Greater Invisibility, etc.
Entropic Shield (ranged only)
Displacement
Blindness*
Power Word: Blind*
Holy Word*
Sequester

* = You have effective miss chance against the target(s), but no one else

Items that grant miss chance (Core)
Robe of Scintillating Colors
Cloak of Displacement
Ring of Invisibility
Ring of Blinking

Snake-Aes
2010-07-22, 03:18 PM
>: D Smokesticks!

Tinydwarfman
2010-07-22, 03:19 PM
So how much miss chance do you think we could reasonably stick on one PC, caster or otherwise?

Telonius
2010-07-22, 03:59 PM
50%, I think. IIRC miss chances don't stack.

herrhauptmann
2010-07-22, 04:04 PM

They might not stack (20% and a 50% don't equal 70%), but you might be able to apply them one after the other.
Smoking weapon from Lords of Darkness (+1 cost) grants 20%
Ring of blinking (take pierce magical concealment to negate your own misschance)
Swiftblade gets miss chances that improve slowly.

Grumman
2010-07-22, 04:06 PM
Is there a compiled list of ways for a melee character to gain miss chance, preferably through gear?
A blindfold? :smalltongue:

Keld Denar
2010-07-22, 04:35 PM
There is also Shape Soulmeld: Displacer Mantle + Open Lesser Chakra: Shoulder for 20% miss chance all the time. Not available before level 12, but you probably won't have the cash on hand for the 20% cloak before that point anyway. 2 feats is kinda steep, but not too steep.

Tinydwarfman
2010-07-22, 04:37 PM

No, different types of miss chance stack. If you have Blink, Greater Mirror Image, and are hiding in natural concealment, I think all of them would stack. (at least, I think you would have 20% from blink, 50% from cover, and however many images you have.)

nedz
2010-07-22, 04:46 PM
1 level of warlock gets you a choice of 4 (IIRC) different invokations which will do this in one way or another.

Curmudgeon
2010-07-22, 07:33 PM
No, different types of miss chance stack.
This actually depends on two things:

whether you own Rules Compendium or not; and
how you apply that book's "DEGREES OF CONCEALMENT" rule.
Rules Compendium includes a number of rules changes as well as compiling existing rules. From page 32:
If a creature receives miss chances from multiple sources, such as from being incorporeal and having concealment, only the highest miss chance applies. Also from that same page:
DEGREES OF CONCEALMENT
It usually isn’t worth differentiating between more degrees of concealment. However, the DM can rule that certain situations provide more or less than typical concealment, and modify the miss chance accordingly.
Personally, I always apply the "DEGREES OF CONCEALMENT" rule so that the total miss chance is exactly the same as if the first RC rule didn't exist; i.e., we're back to the state where different types of miss chance stack (original core rules). :smallwink:

Thurbane
2010-07-22, 08:52 PM
From the SRD:

CLOAK DANCE [GENERAL]
You are skilled at using optical tricks to make yourself seem to be where you are not.

Prerequisites: Hide 10 ranks, Perform (dance) 2 ranks.

Benefit: You can take a move action to obscure your exact position. Until your next turn, you have concealment. Alternatively, you can take a full-round action to entirely obscure your exact position. Until your next action, you have total concealment.

CyMage
2010-07-22, 10:59 PM
So it seems that concealment/miss chance from gear is limited quantity. Also the higher percentage items are not continous use making you waste an action activating them.

Was hoping to find something better then the stuff in the DMG that my Artificer cohort could provide for my character.

Thanks for the help, everyone.

NEO|Phyte
2010-07-22, 11:03 PM
Gleaming armor (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/armorAndShields.htm#gleaming)'s another option, lasts all day, and is cheaper than grabbing a cloak of displacement if you just go +1 Gleaming.

Math_Mage
2010-07-22, 11:58 PM
Gleaming armor (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/armorAndShields.htm#gleaming)'s another option, lasts all day, and is cheaper than grabbing a cloak of displacement if you just go +1 Gleaming.

Similarly, Blurring Armor from the Magic Item Compendium grants concealment 3/day for 5 rounds, for a cheap +1 bonus. Greater Blurring Armor extends the time to 10 minutes and makes the use activation unlimited, essentially a constant concealment effect, for a total bonus of +3.

Lans
2010-07-23, 12:23 AM
Shroud of Night (ToM) grants Super Displacement (displacement without targeting exception so basically closer to invisibility).

In the true name section there is the style that grants 50% miss chance against the target of your dodge feat.

Greenish
2010-07-23, 12:29 AM
It's a stance.Which means you can get it with a feat (or two).

Smoking weapon from Lords of Darkness (+1 cost) grants 20%.It's awesome for a +1 'chant. Is it 3.5 legal though?

herrhauptmann
2010-07-23, 06:11 PM
Which means you can get it with a feat (or two).
It's awesome for a +1 'chant. Is it 3.5 legal though?

Coulda sworn that Lord of Darkness was a 3.5 book. And if it's 3.0, I've never seen that enchantment reprinted in a 3.5 book or web enhancement.
It's also one of my favorite enchantments to recommend (up there with durable, everbright, blueshine) and this is the first time the question has come up, so I'm assuming it's a 3.5 book. Unlike Magic of Faerun where people mention it's 3.0 all the time.

CyMage
2010-07-23, 11:44 PM
Actually LoD is 3.0 though that's not a problem.

One advantage that this enchant has is that there is no limit once it's activated. You could activate it once and just leave it on.

Also the main reason people mention Magic of Faerun is 3.0 is because it comes up a lot more often. :)

herrhauptmann
2010-07-24, 02:12 AM
Actually LoD is 3.0 though that's not a problem.

One advantage that this enchant has is that there is no limit once it's activated. You could activate it once and just leave it on.

Also the main reason people mention Magic of Faerun is 3.0 is because it comes up a lot more often. :)

I know MoF is 3.0, my point is that if I mention MoF without stating the edition, someone is guaranteed to jump in and announce that it is 3.0. And every time someone starts a thread asking for a colossal+ warrior, I jump in with a chime for MoF and their [heavy] weapon materials.