PDA

View Full Version : Factotum wants to craft his very own Warforged

Talbot
2010-07-22, 02:57 PM
I'm playing a 14th level Factotum who wants to craft his very own warforged (or at least, his very own robot). I'm planning to eventually take leadership and use the Warforged for my cohort, but before that I need to know which feats/spells/etc I'd need to do it. I already have Craft Wondrous Item and am planning to take Craft Magic Arms and Armor. Since I can't cast spells with XP components, I assume I'll probably need a scroll of Wish or something for the big finish. Basically, what do I need in terms of money, time, spells, and feats to get it done?

Edit: Can't believe I forgot this, but I'm planning to craft a few items into him (for campaign related reasons). Greater Truedeath and Demolition crystals, and a +3 Battlefist of Smiting (basically the +3 Mace of Smiting, but, you know, a battlefist).

Ranos
2010-07-22, 03:00 PM
Craft Construct feat, and Awaken construct. It's a 9th level spell. But see if you can work something out with your DM. Lab accident that makes your first creation sentient, or whatever, and you're trying to replicate it.

Viskocity
2010-07-22, 03:03 PM
If you are using leadership to get him as a cohort, I don't see why you would need to pay an additional price, mechanically speaking. I would personally roleplay this out, rather than trying to find a more crunchy solution.

Also, good luck trying to find any hard info on Warforged creation. The books are very vague about what exactly goes into making a creation forge.

Talbot
2010-07-22, 03:06 PM
If you are using leadership to get him as a cohort, I don't see why you would need to pay an additional price, mechanically speaking. I would personally roleplay this out, rather than trying to find a more crunchy solution.

Also, good luck trying to find any hard info on Warforged creation. The books are very vague about what exactly goes into making a creation forge.

Warforged don't really exist in the campaign setting, and for story reasons it makes a lot of sense for my character to try and construct one.

Telonius
2010-07-22, 03:08 PM
Within the Eberron setting, you would probably need epic-level magic. The Creation Forge is an Artifact.

EDIT: In that case, Craft Construct and Awaken Construct is probably your best bet. Note that the fact that you have a Warforged as your cohort doesn't prevent you from making other Constructs as well (Iron Defender and so on).

Talbot
2010-07-22, 03:25 PM
After looking at Craft and Awaken Construct, I still can't quite figure how it would work; I want the Warforged to have character levels appropriate for a Cohort, chiefly in Urban Barb and either Thug Fighter or Feat Rogue.

My character is a detective, and his main enemies are undead constructs, which he's not particularly well suited to battling straight up. So he wants to create an ally designed specifically to destroy them, an ally that can't be turned into a wraith or skeleton or anything else, an ally resistant to ability drain...an ally who's a Warforged with a built in Mace of Smiting and the appropriate crystals.

Ranos
2010-07-22, 03:28 PM
After looking at Craft and Awaken Construct, I still can't quite figure how it would work; I want the Warforged to have character levels appropriate for a Cohort, chiefly in Urban Barb and either Thug Fighter or Feat Rogue.

My character is a detective, and his main enemies are undead constructs, which he's not particularly well suited to battling straight up. So he wants to create an ally designed specifically to destroy them, an ally that can't be turned into a wraith or skeleton or anything else, an ally resistant to ability drain...an ally who's a Warforged with a built in Mace of Smiting and the appropriate crystals.

Well...Getting an undead pal would be easier, but if you have the resources, why not. Awaken makes them intelligent. They can get the levels just fine.

Talbot
2010-07-22, 03:29 PM
Well...Getting an undead pal would be easier, but if you have the resources, why not. Awaken makes them intelligent. They can get the levels just fine.

But he'd start at level 1 then, right? It'd be months and months after awakening him before he'd be useful.

Lysander
2010-07-22, 03:32 PM
I agree that this is more of a rule 0 situation. Explain what you want to the DM and they can make it easy for you. Maybe even give you a fun quest to get the necessary rare ingredients or artifact even to make it work.

If he doesn't want you to personally have the ability to make warforged whenever you want make it one a time situation. For example, you learn that an ancient race created a type of gemstone that they used as a power source for sentient constructs. Your quest is to venture into an ancient monster filled ruin of this civilization to find one of these stones rumored to be there.

DanReiv
2010-07-22, 04:01 PM
Craft construct is the way to go. An awakened creature is supposed to be helpful, see with your DM if you really need leadership.

Since you're 14th, I'd go with an Effigy (Comp.Arc.) Frost Giant (14 hd).

19k gold + 1120xp to create and either a DC 15 Craft (woodworking, leatherworking, or metalworking) check or a DC 15 Knowledge (architecture and engineering). Takes 19 days to build it.

No need of wish or other spell.

Then 3825 gold for a scroll of awaken construct, give him "Hulk Smash" stuff and you're all set.

Funny what you can do with a feat and pocket money (23k isn't much for a 14th level PC)

Stated it so you can see what you would end up with, no stuff expect a battleaxe (humanoid-like so full slot available to tweak it) and before being awakened. Spoilered to prevent WoT attack.

Effigy Frost Giant
Size/Type: Large Construct (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#constructType)
Hit Dice: 14d10+30 (100 hp)
Initiative: -2
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares)
Armor Class: 19 (-1 size, -1 Dex, +11 natural), touch 8, flat-footed 19
Base Attack/Grapple: +12/+25
Attack: Greataxe +20 melee (3d6+15/×3) or slam +20 melee (1d6+11) or rock +8 ranged (2d6+11)
Full Attack: Greataxe +20/+15 melee (3d6+13/×3) or 2 slams +20 melee (1d6+11) or rock +8 ranged (2d6+11)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Rock throwing
Special Qualities: Damage Reduction 7/adamantine
Saves: Fort +4, Ref +2, Will +4
Abilities: Str 33, Dex 7, Con -, Int -, Wis 11, Cha 1
Skills: -
Feats: -
Environment: Cold mountains

# Proficient with all simple and martial weapons, as well as any natural weapons.

Not really a warforged, but close. Bad saves but immune to a lots of stuff. :smallbiggrin:

Talbot
2010-07-22, 04:33 PM
Any way to give that thing some class levels in either Urban Barb and/or Thug Fighter and/or Feat Rogue?

Critical
2010-07-22, 04:37 PM
Any way to give that thing some class levels in either Urban Barb and/or Thug Fighter and/or Feat Rogue?

If it's intelligent, it can take class levels. It becomes intelligent with awaken, so I don't see why not. :smallsmile: You could probably just make an effigy of any 1HD creature, awaken it and then have it as a solid character, since the 1st HD always gets replaced by class levels.

DanReiv
2010-07-22, 04:41 PM
Sure, once awakened it can begin to take class level.

From the scratch I don't think it's possible. Giving the Effigy template means loosing all class levels, so he can't have them before.

It's an acquired template btw, gotta find yourself a frost giant (willing or not :smallamused:)

D&D is a funny thing, kidnap a Giant, turn it into an effigy (that's gotta hurt), it's now mindless and obedient, awaken it, he's now both sentient and helpful.

wtf ?

Critical
2010-07-22, 04:54 PM
Sure, once awakened it can begin to take class level.

From the scratch I don't think it's possible. Giving the Effigy template means loosing all class levels, so he can't have them before.

It's an acquired template btw, gotta find yourself a frost giant (willing or not :smallamused:)

D&D is a funny thing, kidnap a Giant, turn it into an effigy (that's gotta hurt), it's now mindless and obedient, awaken it, he's now both sentient and helpful.

wtf ?
Umm, your making one out of metal and other materials. :smallbiggrin:

dgnslyr
2010-07-22, 05:22 PM
It's probably simplest if you use Leadership to get a Warforged cohort, and RP the "building the Warforged" scene. Leadership ensures a legal way of obtaining your cohort, and a bit of RP can save a lot of unnecessary trouble with actually finding spells to build your own personal robot. :smallwink:

Talbot
2010-07-22, 05:42 PM
It's probably simplest if you use Leadership to get a Warforged cohort, and RP the "building the Warforged" scene. Leadership ensures a legal way of obtaining your cohort, and a bit of RP can save a lot of unnecessary trouble with actually finding spells to build your own personal robot. :smallwink:

DM already torpedoed that. If I want a Warforged, or any robot, really, I need to build one more or less withing the mechanics of the game.

DanReiv
2010-07-22, 05:56 PM
As living construct type, warforged are not immune to critical hits, nonlethal damage, stunning, ability damage, ability drain, and death effects or necromancy effects.

Seems like a poor choice to me when facing undead. True construct are immune to most all of those.

If you're in the process of creating your character, you could very well take a lesser HD Effigy (Minotaur or some s***) and giving it class level up to a leadership-like level (edit = through awaken construct spell)

Check with your DM.

Talbot
2010-07-22, 05:58 PM
As living construct type, warforged are not immune to critical hits, nonlethal damage, stunning, ability damage, ability drain, and death effects or necromancy effects.

Seems like a poor choice to me when facing undead. True construct are immune to most all of those.

If you're in the process of creating your character, you could very well take a lesser HD Effigy (Minotaur or some s***) and giving it class level up to a leadership-like level.

Check with your DM.

Yeah, being specifically a Warforged isn't terribly important. Having class levels is. As for all the minotaur/giant suggestions, it's not a particularly racially diverse campaign setting, so that sort of thing may not be an option. Also, my character is Neutral Good, so the "recently living humanoid brain" material component for Awaken Construct may be a problem.

FelixG
2010-07-22, 06:01 PM
I think that a Rule 0 solution would be best.

Just say you are working on something special, tinkering away at it from time to time untill you have leadership then you activate him.

I am using a similar rule 0 scheme with a GM as a back up character, if my current crafty chara dies a box containing my new chara will be delivered to the rest of the party with a note saying "open me" with it :D

BUT if you are obsessed with crunch... Dragon magazine provides for making a "Lesser" golem of Tin, these guys have Int 5 so they are sentient even if a bit stupid, this could easily be replaced by war-forged fluff wise (not as many "good" construct traits in exchange for more freedom of intellect and personality)

Creation is as follows: CL5th; Craft Constructm Fox;s cunning, Magic Mouth, Mending. Caster must be atleast 5th level; Price 6,400 gp; Cost 3,400+240 XP

and there you go, crunch wise you make your very own Warforged, Enjoy!

DanReiv
2010-07-22, 06:17 PM
Then it's best to check with your DM what's actually available (if it is).

An Awakened <insert common medium-sized humanoid> Effigy with lots of class level would still make a powerfull ally in this setting.

As for the *cough* material component *cough*, well, surely these undead constructs made/are doing some victims.

And it's made for nice RP starring your buddy.

true_shinken
2010-07-22, 06:33 PM
As for the *cough* material component *cough*, well, surely these undead constructs made/are doing some victims.

And it's made for nice RP starring your buddy.

"Your death will not be in vain. I will use your brain to create the ultimate undead construct slayer!"
Yeah, sound good to me.

Fouredged Sword
2010-07-22, 06:49 PM
If the brain component is a problem, then wait until you fight some orcs somewhere or something. Use a convicted murderer who is beheaded by the state. Wait around a hospital morge with a bone saw. There are lots of ways to get your hands on a nice brain without needing to actual murder some random commoner. Just remember, reduce reuse recycle!

2010-07-22, 09:00 PM
But he'd start at level 1 then, right? It'd be months and months after awakening him before he'd be useful.

or, the DM could say that you took a feat and its a *special* scroll of awaken and now he has character levels and if you ask how it happened your character instantly falls down a 100 foot plot-hole with poison spikes at the bottom.

Greenish
2010-07-22, 09:28 PM

Seems like a poor choice to me when facing undead. True construct are immune to most all of those.Give it levels in "being a construct" warforged class, known as Warforged Juggernaut. At level 14, you'd have a 12th level cohort (at most). Barbarian1/dungeoncrasher fighter 6/warforged juggernaut5 would be an excellent bodyguard with most all construct traits.