PDA

View Full Version : Spiken chain tripper...Where?

Ilmryn
2010-07-22, 04:21 PM
Where can the spiked chain tripper build be found?

Optimystik
2010-07-22, 04:23 PM
Which one?

There's the Horizon Walker SRD version, Psywar version, ToB version...

Zeta Kai
2010-07-22, 04:28 PM
Which one?

There's the Horizon Walker SRD version, Psywar version, ToB version...

Yeah, it's more like a family of builds, or a build-concept like the Batman Wizard. There's no one definitive example, but the basics include Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Spiked Chain), Combat Expertise, Improved Trip, & some means of extending your reach.

Ilmryn
2010-07-22, 04:29 PM
I'd go with the ToB version. That was what i was planning to use it for. But feel free to post links to other builds.

Optimystik
2010-07-22, 04:38 PM
Saph's Horizon Tripper (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80415)

I think Lycanthromancer made a good Psywar tripper, but I don't recall where it is offhand.

I'm a ToB tyro, so can't help you there.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-07-22, 04:41 PM
Can you trip on a AoO? if yes I say enough crusader to get thicket of blade stance, then jump into Warmind and if you can get either a homebrewed Psionic/Manouber pestige class or use the adaptation section of jade phoenix mage to turn into a psionic advancing class.

herrhauptmann
2010-07-22, 05:21 PM
Can you trip on a AoO? if yes I say enough crusader to get thicket of blade stance, then jump into Warmind and if you can get either a homebrewed Psionic/Manouber pestige class or use the adaptation section of jade phoenix mage to turn into a psionic advancing class.

If not, just take the feat knockdown. Now you get a trip attempt any time you deal 10 points of damage, that's even on an AOO.

Optimystik
2010-07-22, 05:23 PM
You can indeed trip on AoOs - see Saph's build that I linked.

Her build's primary advantage is that it is core-only, so it's a way of being a decent tripper without ToB or Psionics giving you a boost.

Kaiyanwang
2010-07-22, 06:17 PM
Just to clarify: in 3.5, EVERY special attack like trip, sunder, disarm, that can be done with a standard melee attack, can be performed in place of a "normal" AOO.

Other maneuvers, like bullrush or overrun, cannot be normally performed as AOO, unless specific ruling (as an example useful for the OP, you can use the feat Knockback on an AOO, because need that you simply hit an enemy to trigger a free bullrush attempt).

IIRC, you can grapple as AOO too (this is not longer true in Pathfinder, since grapple is a standrad action now).

Hope can be useful.

Ernir
2010-07-22, 07:09 PM
If you have ToB... uh, along with the feats mentioned above (EWP: Spiked Chain, Imp. Trip, Combat Reflexes, Knock-Down), take Stormguard Warrior (ToB)? Look for stuff that has to do with AoOs, maneuver-wise. Robilar's Gambit (PHB2) is a very cool high level option, and so is Karmic Strike (CWar) if you haven't run out of feats yet. Stand Still (XPH) can massively increase your lockdown abilities, at the expense of your offense.

(Also, Saph is, to the best of my knowledge, male.)

Frosty
2010-07-22, 07:52 PM
(Also, Saph is, to the best of my knowledge, male.)
I'm pretty sure Saph has identified herself as female before...

Eldariel
2010-07-22, 07:56 PM
I'm pretty sure Saph has identified herself as female before...

He has stated he does not want to reveal his gender online. Frankly, I'm not sure why that's a problem; in English you use "he" for when you are not aware of the gender of the person of whom you speak, so that seems prudent until Saph states otherwise. Besides, if you really care you can find it out anyways.

Optimystik
2010-07-22, 08:20 PM
He has stated he does not want to reveal his gender online. Frankly, I'm not sure why that's a problem; in English you use "he" for when you are not aware of the gender of the person of whom you speak, so that seems prudent until Saph states otherwise. Besides, if you really care you can find it out anyways.

Pretty sure I saw the "♀" under Saph's name at one point. If I'm wrong I apologize but we're going off-topic.

The pyrokineticist can create a whip that you can presumably trip and disarm with. There is also a psionic power in Secrets of Sarlona called Psychic Whip that allows you to form a similar ectoplasmic whip. Both use ranged touch attacks to hit.

Andion Isurand
2010-07-22, 08:50 PM
add in 3 levels Knight to make the area you threaten count as difficult terrain for enemies... and use the Stand Still feat...

gorfnab
2010-07-23, 02:10 AM
If you go with ToB throw in Crusader for the Thicket of Blades stance for even more AoO.

Lycanthromancer
2010-07-23, 02:45 AM
He has stated he does not want to reveal his gender online. Frankly, I'm not sure why that's a problem; in English you use "he" for when you are not aware of the gender of the person of whom you speak, so that seems prudent until Saph states otherwise. Besides, if you really care you can find it out anyways.Saph self-identifies as female, I believe.

As for my psychic warrior build?

There are several ways you can do this, the most basic of which is a Medium or Large race with psychic warrior 20, expansion, Combat Expertise/Improved Trip, Combat Reflexes, a guisarme, and a spiked gauntlet. Upgrade to metamorphosis later on, if you want.

Want to be considerably more focused on tripping while still being able to do other things? Goliath 1/barbarian 2/psychic warrior X, with the guisarme/spiked gauntlet combo, Mountain Rage, the Improved Trip ACF, the expansion power, and Combat Reflexes. This also gets you access to Lion Spirit Totem and Whirling Frenzy, and is crazy with the trip-bonuses.

Killer Angel
2010-07-23, 04:08 AM
Pretty sure I saw the "♀" under Saph's name at one point. If I'm wrong I apologize but we're going off-topic.

I really hope we won't turn this thread in something ala "Vaarsuvius' gender"... :smalltongue:

That said: OP, if you're looking for ToB, in Saph's build (linked by Optimystik) thare are also the adjustments of the basic concept, applied to ToB...

jpreem
2010-07-23, 04:32 AM
All you need is a spiked chain, improved trip and combat reflexis then you are already dandy. You can even do it with a core fighter. All other options mentioned here will just make you more awesome. But the basis is simple - wield a chain and trip, trip when you attack trip on opportunities, and you lose nothing because of you can always make a melee attack aftter the trip for free.

Person_Man
2010-07-23, 08:29 AM
Combine your choice of the following:

Improved Trip + Knock-Down (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Knock-Down) + Combat Reflexes
Increased Size and/or Reach (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7081777)
Pounce or Free Movement (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103358)
Improved Strength check: Wildshape, Alter Self, Polymorph, magic items or spells, Mauling Gauntlets soulmeld, Marshal 1, Factotum 3, etc.

Note that many enemies are either so big and strong that Trip checks have little chance of success, or are outright immune to Trip (incorporeal, ooze, etc). So don't invest all of your resources into one combo. Also, it's highly debatable as to whether or not you need to spend a feat on Spiked Chain proficiency. The fact that you're using Trip to lock down enemies, and have the ability to use 5 ft steps (and potentially free movement, like Hustle or Travel Devotion) means that enemies will rarely be in the "donut hole" of your reach. And even if they are, spiked gauntlets, armor spikes, unarmed strike, or Quickdraw will yield similar effects.

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-07-23, 11:13 PM
I had a pretty decent tripper build which used ToB and Psionics. PsiWar + Expansion + Augmentation + Spiked Chain + other fun tricks = 30' reach you threaten into. Then use Exotic Weapon Master to get an extra attack and the ability to hit everything in 30', even in a crowd which would normally give Cover bonuses.

Lycanthromancer
2010-07-24, 12:31 AM
I had a half-human kobold psychic warrior build that counted as simultaneously being Gargantuan and Diminutive, and pretty much every size category in between, for whatever he happened to want at the moment.

At level 1.

Hide like you're itty bitty, trip like you're ginormous.

herrhauptmann
2010-07-24, 02:09 AM
I had a half-human kobold psychic warrior build that counted as simultaneously being Gargantuan and Diminutive, and pretty much every size category in between, for whatever he happened to want at the moment.

At level 1.

Hide like you're itty bitty, trip like you're ginormous.
For the love of all that is held dear, HOW?
WHY?
Please show me

gorfnab
2010-07-24, 04:06 AM
For the love of all that is held dear, HOW?
WHY?
Please show me
It's actually kinda funny too:
Tiny Von BigMcLargeHuge (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=6428.0)

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-07-24, 08:17 AM
It's actually kinda funny too:
Tiny Von BigMcLargeHuge (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=6428.0)

I'm surprised you didn't name him Dr. Pym...

Mongoose87
2010-07-24, 09:00 AM
What's this half-human, half-kobold business?

aivanther
2010-07-24, 09:27 AM
What's this half-human, half-kobold business?

Much taquila was involved and a very quiet wedding ceremony.

Lycanthromancer
2010-07-24, 10:15 AM
Okay, so it was at level 2. It's been awhile.