PDA

View Full Version : My Monster: Crypt Guardian (4E) PEACH

russdm
2010-07-22, 06:07 PM
So I am making a monster up for my 4E game. I am thinking along the lines of a kraken but there isnt one yet available for 4th edition. The closest thing i have to what i am thinking for it is the Carrion Crawler in 4E MM, but it would serious modifications for what I want the monster to be...

So what i have so far ideawise with some crunch)

Description or appearence: The creature has 8 tentacles growing out from a body that looks like a spider's without legs, but tentacles instead, also it does not have anything to make webs with. It is also undead, has only two eyes.

Crypt Guardian
Level 5 Solo Lurker/Brute (Undecided on role besides being Solo)
Huge Undead Aberrant Beast

Senses: Has decent or better perception, has tremorsense 5
Unsure on HP as well as stats and defenses

It has 8 Tentacles. So it has Tentacles attack for basic melee plus threatening reach because it is huge sized. The tentacles have spines on them that cut or work like thorns on a blackberry bush.

It has a bite attack. This attack would not deal poison damage.

The creature could grapple and rip enemies in half using its tentacles, also it could grapple them with its tentacles and bring up to its mouth to bite them. It could also slam enemies with two tentacles.

So thats what i have so far. I am looking at the carrion crawler mainly because of its tentacle thing working somewhat. Also looking at some other monsters too for what powers they have that is similiar.

The guardian lives in a pool of water where it attacks from. The pool is big enough to hide the guardian (Think the watcher in the water from Lord of the Rings but with modifications) and it can sense movement in the water and ground around it.

So, some advice to get its full stats or enough stats to use in combat would be nice. Also, I am ready to answer questions if people have them.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-07-22, 06:14 PM
What?
Wait, are these supposed to be stats or just a concept? :smallconfused:

russdm
2010-07-22, 06:16 PM
I have the concept figured out mostly, I am trying to come up with its stats and wanted some advice from other DMs out there.

I was looking in the 4e mm to see if there was something like a kraken because that was first real idea of what it was supposed to be like.

The crypt guardian was made by an order/group of necromancers/arcane magic-users to guard their crypts from intruders.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-07-22, 06:25 PM
I have the concept figured out mostly, I am trying to come up with its stats and wanted some advice from other DMs out there.

I was looking in the 4e mm to see if there was something like a kraken because that was first real idea of what it was supposed to be like.

The crypt guardian was made by an order/group of necromancers/arcane magic-users to guard their crypts from intruders.

There's a Kraken in the MM3 if you want it.

russdm
2010-07-22, 06:27 PM
I don't have MM3, atleast not yet. I didn't know if it was out. Also, i want this monster to be no higher than level 5. I would think the Kraken would be higher level than that.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-07-22, 06:53 PM
I don't have MM3, atleast not yet. I didn't know if it was out. Also, i want this monster to be no higher than level 5. I would think the Kraken would be higher level than that.

It's level 10.
Do you have the MM2? Fell Taints might be useful.

russdm
2010-07-22, 07:04 PM
I am planing on getting MM2. I don't have it right now.

What kinds of things do the kraken have?

I may need to buy MM3 as well as MM2.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-07-22, 09:38 PM
What kinds of things do the kraken have?

Ability to immobilize ships, poison ranged attack, dazing melee attack, several attacks per round; theres more but I don't have the book handy right now.