PDA

View Full Version : [3.5e]Masochist (A revised Stuffy Doll/Hidan) Peach

Hamswordsman
2010-07-22, 10:25 PM
Last time I made a class that I really liked the idea but I got too caught up in the flavor and not involved enough in the mechanics. This was based on Hidan but couldn't get the things to all work out with game mechanics. This is a revised character that is still a work in process. I am also looking for a better name.

An Acolyte that enjoys suffering and pain and wishes to share it with the whole world. Some question if his God truly exists but it is the only way to explain his bizarre powers. His "voodoo" magic often causes people to be weary of his presence along with his strange tattoos and stitches around his body. Despite his appearance, he is not necessarily evil or tribal, he can be just as sophisticated as a Wizard or just as holy as a paladin. It varies among them.

Masochist

Hit Dice: D12

Alignment: Chaotic (He is not evil because he believes that pain is something to be shared but respects the wishes of comrades who wish to not be a part of it.)

Ability Scores: Concentrate on Con because it gives you the needed life and for secondary stats you can concentrate on spreading out the stats to help against ability damage or concentrate on Dex to help AC and the awful reflex saves.

Role: A Tank that has minor controlling abilities and support

Weapon: Simple

Armor: Light

{table=head]Level|
Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+2|
+0|
+2|Feedback, Provoke, Toughness

2nd|
+1|
+3|
+0|
+3|Inflict Pain, Toughness

3rd|
+1|
+3|
+1|
+3|Mutilate, Toughness

4th|
+2|
+4|
+1|
+4|Share Ability, Toughness

5th|
+2|
+4|
+1|
+4|Weaken, Toughness

6th|
+3|
+5|
+2|
+5|Bonus Mutilate, Toughness

7th|
+3|
+5|
+2|
+5|Split Punishment, Toughness

8th|
+4|
+6|
+2|
+6|Bonus Share Ability, Toughness

9th|
+4|
+6|
+3|
+6|Bonus Mutilate, Toughness

10th|
+5|
+7|
+3|
+7|Bonus Weaken, Toughness

11th|
+5|
+7|
+3|
+7|Improved Provoke, Toughness

12th|
+6/+1|
+8|
+4|
+8|Bonus Share Ability, Toughness

13th|
+6/+1|
+8|
+4|
+8|Toughness

14th|
+7/+2|
+9|
+4|
+9|Toughness

15th|
+7/+2|
+9|
+5|
+9|Bonus Weaken, Toughness

16th|
+8/+3|
+10|
+5|
+10|Bonus Share Ability, Toughness

17th|
+8/+3|
+10|
+5|
+10|Toughness

18th|
+9/+4|
+11|
+6|
+11|Toughness

19th|
+9/+4|
+11|
+6|
+11|Toughness

20th|
+10/+5|
+12|
+6|
+12|Weaken, Toughness[/table]

Skills: 4 + Int Mod
Balance, Climb, Heal, Intimidate, Knowledge (Religion), Listen, Spot, Sense Motive, Swim

Class features:
Toughness: Due to the ability to tolerate any sort of physical pain, a Masochist is able to take a beating and still survive. This gives him the Feat Toughness every level and I made it this way to avoid abuse in multi classing but is still able to fulfill his role.

Feedback (SU): Whenever you are dealt damage, you deal deals .5+(.1 X your Masochist level) to anything within 30ft or the opponent who damaged you. Feedback does not work while the Masochist is wearing armor because it is a sin in their religion and therefore the gods take away the ability.

Provoke (EX): You can shout a insults an enemy, and taunt them. Any target of this ability must make a Fortitude or Will save (Masochist's Choice) against a DC 10 + 1/2 Your Class Level + Con . You must have line of sight and line of effect to the targets of this ability.

Inflict Pain (EX): Any time that you can attack, you may choose to take up to 5X your class level in damage.

Improved Provoke (EX): You can shout a insults to all of the enemies around you and taunt them. Any target of this ability must make a Fortitude or Will save (Masochist's Choice) against a DC 10 + 1/2 Your Class Level + Con . You must have line of sight and line of effect to the targets of this ability.

For Mutilate, Share Abilities, and Weaken I made them similar to the feat system. I really liked the customization of it but if it just doesn't work then I can set them at certain levels.

Mutilate (SU): The Masochist cuts himself to peaces causing pain and debilitation for the opposing foe. In order to make the precise cuts necessary, the Masochist needs to use a light weapon. To reattach body parts, one must have the body part in grasp. Stitching takes 1d4 rounds but you my still act normally. during this time you may not mutilate again. When you do this you take 1d6 damage. The effect lasts equal to your class level. This only works on creatures that actually have those body parts. Even if the opposing creature succeeds in the save you still suffer the effects. Target Creature must make a Fort or Will save (Masochist's Choice) against DC 10 + 1/2 your class level + Con mod

Choices for Mutilate:
Cut off Head: It causes any abilities to require the head to not work. Examples would be a spell with a verbal component, breath weapons etc. You cannot do these things as well. You take a 1d4 subtraction to your will saves as well.

Cut off Arm (Your choice on which): It causes the creature to drop anything he is carrying in the selected hand. It may not use the arm for the duration of the effect. Anything with Somatic components cannot be used. You also suffer from these effects. If you try and cut yourself using the non-dominant hand, your damage varies by 1d8. Otherwise 1d4.

Cut off Leg (your Choice on which): It causes the creature to become flat footed and move at half speed. It also may not use the selected foot to climb, jump, or balance and the selected skills are cut in half. If it is a quadruped is is only cut by a quarter. You also suffer all of these effects. You also lose 1d4 to your reflex save.

Stab the Heart: It causes the creature to suffer heavy damage. You as well as the opponent lose 1d6 + Con Mod every round. You may use this instead of the coup de grace. (The advantage is that is ranged). You lose 1d4 of your fort save.

Severed Legion (SU): The Masochist may cut himself up and then the various body parts can go do his bidding with the head at command. I am almost thinking this could be a completely new ability with its own skill tree cause this has so much room to expand. I also need help with the combat abilities. I tried just using something like summon animals but I want it to grow with the character not just be static. I kinda wanted to hear some possible ideas for this before I choose a specific route to build.

Share Abilities (SU): By creating a link with a creature the creature suffers the ill effects. Whenever the Masochist receives any of the selected shares, the Masochist may chose one creature within 50ft or the creature that caused the condition. Selected target makes the appropriate save against a DC10 + 1/2 your class level + Con Mod. Any immunities are ignored because they are not actually getting poison or the condition they are just getting the effects transferred.

The Share Abilities are:
Share Poison: Any poison the Masochist receives has a chance to affect the selected creature.

Share Disease: Any Disease the Masochist receives has a chance to affect target creature.

Share Ability Modifiers: Any ability modifiers the Masochist receives has a chance to transfer over.

Share Fascinations: Whenever the Masochist is Confused, Fascinated, Stunned, Dazed, Dazzled, or Sleep it has the chance to transfer

Share Physical Handicaps: Whenever the Masochist is Energy Drained, Entangled, Exhausted, Fatigued, Flat Footed, Knocked Down, Sickened or Nauseated it has a chance to transfer

Share Fear: Whenever the Masochist is Cowering, Frightened, Panicked or Shaken it has a chance to transfer.

Share Pain: As a standard action the Masochist may select a willing target. Next time the target would take damage, you take it instead. You also take all of the saves that would also follow.

Improved Share Pain: As a standard action the Masochist may select any number of willing targets. Next the target would take damage, you take instead. You also take all of the saves that would also follow. You must have share pain in order to take this.

Weakness (SU): As a standard action, he Masochist is able to cause physical harm to himself to damage the various foes around him. Target must make a Will or Fort Save (Masochists Choice) against a DC 10 +1/2 class level + Con Level. Max subtraction is your class level but cannot go negative.

Choices of Weakness:
Suffer BAB loss: The Stuffy Doll weakens his accuracy and causes target foe to lose as well. Cannot go negative.

Suffer AC loss: the Stuffy Doll curses the Defenses of the opponent and causes it to horrendously malfunction as well as causing amazingly bad luck to both parties. Cannot go negative.

Suffer Save Loss: The Stuffy Doll Curses himself and the enemy causing a certain save to suffer. Cannot go negative.

Suffer Ability Damage: Stuffy Doll offers his ability in trade for the opponents. Cannot go negative.

Now for some abilities I need to figure out where they belong and I need some help putting them around. I also need help with the abilities themselves.

Blood Sense (EX): The Stuffy Doll can automatically sense where there is a living or moving object. If the target is invisible and otherwise cannot be seen, he can sense it but does not know where it is.

Horrid Sight (SU): Due to the massive stitching and general decay of the Stuffy doll, Enemies are sickened by the sight unless if they make a will save against how much damage the Masochist has taken up to the Masochists level x5. He also gains a +class level on skill checks involving intimidate.
- I can change it back to the normal save but I think this is more flavorful though.

Sense Weakness (SU): By seeing the life forces of the enemies. The Stuffy Doll is able to sense when a creature goes below 10 hp and can see when they are about to die.

Other ideas I am thinking about:

Like I said earlier, I think the severed legion has a lot of potential development.

Some sort of Ability Regen cause he will tire out way too quickly at the normal rate.

I think I need to change around provoke cause it makes no sense when you do it to low int characters but this is such a crucial ability cause it essentially replaces your attack. If anyone has a flavorful suggestion I'm all ears.

I also need help with the higher abilities cause I am not too familiar with it but I do not want it to be a prestige class if it needs more variation I can easily think of more.

I am also wondering what tier this guy is in. I was hoping for either 2, 3, or 4.

Any comments or suggestions are welcome and I'll try and respond to them as soon as I can.

Strudel110
2010-07-22, 10:47 PM
Stuffy Doll... I see what you did there....

Hamswordsman
2010-07-23, 08:11 PM
Had him based on Hidan (from Naruto) before but the marking system and the random weapon for it just convoluted the idea. I cut a lot of that stuff down and made it much more streamlined in his abilities. I also added some of the other effects than just damage because it shows more of his craziness (like mutilate)and also allowed him to do other things than just damage. He also changed into a support person because he can take damage for others. I like him better in the end but I still need clearance to see if it is not completely overpowered. I got approval from my DM (finally) for another try.

Owrtho
2010-07-23, 09:39 PM
Stuffy Doll
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?multiverseid=116724&type=card (http://gatherer.wizards.com/pages/card/details.aspx?name=Stuffy%20Doll)
dies to flanking.
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?multiverseid=122082&type=card (http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/article/Flanking)
This class probably shouldn't be that weak to it though.
Owrtho

Hamswordsman
2010-07-24, 02:49 PM
Stuffy Doll
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?multiverseid=116724&type=card (http://gatherer.wizards.com/pages/card/details.aspx?name=Stuffy%20Doll)
dies to flanking.
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?multiverseid=122082&type=card (http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/article/Flanking)
This class probably shouldn't be that weak to it though.
Owrtho

But who dies to lightning bolt or in creature combat? This does highlight a good point though. See just like the stuffy doll, even though he has a lot of hp which makes him largely impervious to combat, he still suffers when fighting ability modifiers just like everyone else.

Getting back on topic, am I scaring everyone off? I haven't really gotten any actual feedback at all whatsoever and I am really interested to hear the possible problems as well as balancing issues that may arise.

mrcarter11
2010-07-24, 02:55 PM
I like the flavor a lot.. I can't judge balance.. And I might just be me.. But I find this hard to read.. Not from a crunch or fluff standpoint.. Just the way it is organized seems, hard to follow to me..

Owrtho
2010-07-24, 03:54 PM
Well, the wording on a number of abilities is confusing. For example: Feedback: Whoever dealt what damage? Also, what are the fractions of?
Provoke: This is just really confusing. I can somewhat tell from context of what the class does and the name that it forces something to attack you, but otherwise would have trouble doing so. Also, on the line about the save, you normally would say what the save is first, then specify the DC. Also, you should likely say the Masochist's choice, not Provoker's.
Inflict Pain: This ability is understandable, but I'm not sure why you would want to use it. I figure it is for triggering other abilities, but that should be specified.

Haven't read all the way through them, but the other abilities seem to have some similar wording issues. I suggest always referring to the to the Masochist as "the Masochist" or by a pronoun (use he or she consistently) as per normal pronoun use. It gets confusing when you keep changing it for each ability (the provoker, the user, Stuffy Doll, etc.).

Also, I'd suggest taking a look at the sponge (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8625210#post8625210) class I made which has a similar premise of transferring damage (though very different fluff and other abilities).

Owrtho

Hamswordsman
2010-07-24, 08:02 PM
I changed all the problems (I think) but if there are others than send me a message.

For feedback it is .5 which is the base and +.1 x class level. This essentially translates in a gradual progression instead of big changes are certain levels. For example at level 1 it would do .6 of the damage you take back. At level 5 you deal 1x the damage back.
Changed around the text for Provoke and basically copied and pasted the text for the Knight's Test of Mettle
The point of inflict pain is that you can use it to deal damage (because of feedback). The advantage is that it will automatically hit but the disadvantage is that you take damage for it and you can easily under or overestimate resulting in not killing him or wasting too much hp.

mrcarter11
2010-07-24, 08:27 PM
Thanks for the formatting, it looks a lot better.

Hamswordsman
2010-07-24, 09:43 PM
Would he be roughly tier 2-3? Here is my reasoning:

-He is able to take out opponents that rely too much on raw attack power and is amazing at dealing with them.
-When he does not fight those classes, he can help others by trying to debilitate the opponents with Mutilate or other stat subtractions.

Not tier 1 because:
-He can not beat the whole encounter by himself. Needs help to deal with certain people
-Not flexible enough to deal with everything like tier one classes

Not tier 4 because:
-He is able to be at least somewhat useful in every situation
-Can shine in certain situations

Anyone else have an opinion?

Owrtho
2010-07-24, 10:12 PM
On feedback, specify when it occurs. Is it any time you're dealt damage, a standard action? Also, on mutilate, don't say user, say Masochist. Saying the user or otherwise changing it can be confusing if just scanning the abilities or otherwise not expecting it.

Owrtho

Andion Isurand
2010-07-25, 01:49 AM
reminds me of the granted power of the Spirit Domain...

You may create a spiritual bond between an item you have created (usually a doll or similar object) and a single enemy. Creating this item requires 100 gp and a sample of the hair, skin, fingernails, or other bodily material of the victim.
You may cast any spell of 3rd level or lower with a touch range on the creature without making a touch attack roll by casting the spell on the bonded object. The creature gains a +2 circumstance bonus on its saving throw (if any) against the effect. You must be within long range (400 ft. + 40 ft/level) of your target and have line of effect to it to use the object in this manner.
You may create one of these items per month, but you may not have more than one active at a time. When you create a new bound item, your previous one loses its power.

http://www.realmshelps.org/cgi-bin/domain.pl?Spirit

Hamswordsman
2010-07-25, 05:20 PM
Fixed a few more of the problems with wording and the like.

About the Spirit Domain, Didn't realize how close my skill was to it. It wasn't intentional.

Anything else I should think about adding? Any problems with balancing?

In particular I was wondering about provoke. It should replace his normal attack because that is how your mostly going to do damage. right now it seems rather hard for it to work and not very reliable. Am I just wrong or does anyone else have suggestions?