PDA

View Full Version : Paladins in non-aligned system

Liekurmomma
2010-07-23, 01:21 AM
I'm not sure if this has been addressed before. How would you suppose a paladin, or any other class, would be incorporated into a game where alignments are non existent?

Tengu_temp
2010-07-23, 01:25 AM
Smite Evil turns into Smite Enemy, Detect Evil detects undead, demons and devils, and people whose beliefs are the anathema of your god/order.

Superglucose
2010-07-23, 01:30 AM
I'm not sure if this has been addressed before. How would you suppose a paladin, or any other class, would be incorporated into a game where alignments are non existent?
Paladins would still have their code to hold to, and the "detect evil" could probably be done away with (give them something better! Maybe Detect Undead or Detect Outsider?) Instead of Smite Evil just give them Smite, which you probably should've done anyways, and there you have it.

hamishspence
2010-07-23, 06:14 AM
Heroes of Horror does discuss the issue of paladins in a system where alignment isn't dropped entirely, but made much looser-

with Protection from Evil being just Protection, Detect Evil being dropped (or made into Detect Hostility like it was in really old editions) Smite working on everything, and so on.

Snake-Aes
2010-07-23, 06:33 AM

Attach him to the god (or a philosophy, a bit like mantles), and make all detections and smiteys based on that. A paladin of War could "detect hippies", for example.

Southern Cross
2010-07-23, 06:43 AM
I suggest that you take a look at Arcana Evolved.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-07-23, 07:08 AM
Smite Evil would be just plain old Smite, and you could use the Harmonious Knight substitution levels (http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060327a) to replace Detect Evil with Inspire Courage.