PDA

View Full Version : Modern Systems

DemLep
2010-07-23, 04:08 AM
Hey, I'm looking at running a modern campaign and I was wondering what systems are out there that are designed for a modern campaign.

I know of D20 Modern and WoD and have used both of these in the past. WoD doesn't fit the world and I just wondering what other choices are out there.

On a similar note, Has any ever used a non-modern system in a modern campaign? With some tweaks I'm sure most systems could work for a modern campaign. So looking more for good and bad experiences with the different systems.

Thanks

The Rose Dragon
2010-07-23, 04:18 AM
Unisystem.

You need to go get Unisystem. Like, right now.

While Witchcraft (http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=692&it=1) is free in an electronic format, it is most famous for All Flesh Must Be Eaten, which is a zombie apocalypse roleplaying game, but can be used for all kinds of modern games (if you're willing to ignore the supercalifragilisticexpialidocious zombie creation rules). It has several supplements for different genres including pulp, western, professional wrestling, sci-fi, Hong Kung action movies and fantasy... and all of them optionally include zombies.

There is also GURPS, which is more flexible, and while still a great game, not quite as fun as Unisystem (in my opinion).

DemLep
2010-07-23, 04:22 AM
I've heard of All Flesh Must be Eaten, but have not played it yet. (The Zombie Apocalypse is coming.) Never heard anything of the system it uses though.

Never heard of Unisystem, might look into it. Any good links?

I know of GURPS, but once more have never read up on it.

Psyx
2010-07-23, 04:27 AM
Millennium's End.

Cyberpunk
Shadowrun

The Rose Dragon
2010-07-23, 04:37 AM
I've heard of All Flesh Must be Eaten, but have not played it yet. (The Zombie Apocalypse is coming.) Never heard anything of the system it uses though.

Never heard of Unisystem, might look into it. Any good links?

Unisystem is the system All Flesh Must Be Eaten, as well as several other games by Eden Studios, uses. The aforementioned Witchcraft is one of those games.

Satyr
2010-07-23, 04:37 AM
The first answer is as usual Gurps which works usually better than two thirds of all systems which were originally indicated for pretty much any setting, completely independent of the genre, setting, era or place and usually better than more one-sided and concentrated games.

Unisystem is simpler and therefore more accessible, but when it comes to create a unique setting of one's own, there is virtually no better system than Gurps (hero is pretty much equal, though).

Tinydwarfman
2010-07-23, 11:00 AM
My love for GURPS should be known, especially for modern settings, although GURPS can really do anything, even better than the Unisystem can. Unisystem is better in it's niches (AFMBE is one good example), but I like GURPS more all around.