PDA

View Full Version : Treasures of Lower Underdark (IC)

Erad
2010-07-23, 07:28 AM
Encampment

A huge number of drow assembled here, in the ruins of an old city. Led by Kelya Kianar, many treasure seekers came here, to the dangerous territory of Lower Underdark. So far, nobody ventured further, but even now, all adventurers were gathering at groups, finding possible allies. Kelya wasn't against it, she understood that here, so far from the city, she wouldn't gather enough power to lead the whole army. No, she prefered that every group will work alone, but still report to her. She occupied one of the few remaining buildings, turning it into her headquarters and personal house. Another such a building was quickly repaired temple of Lolth (or whoever it was when the city stood), The last building that survived was decided to turn into the huge inn, where adventurers could find groups and rest between searches.

One of such a groups was being assembled right now. A priestess of Lolth was waiting for them, to give possible leads.

aivanther
2010-07-23, 08:19 AM
Zerith looks around at his surroundings, seemingly amused at something. He says in a low voice to the various people and creatures around him, "Well, my boys, it looks like we are ready for the truly dangerous work. I've never been to the Lowerdark, it could be fun." He glances back to the watchspider Fayel, the bat Daer that is flitting about, and the most unusual sight in this group, the slave Mattias. "Assuming we survive this, the return home will probably be even more dangerous. You up to it?"

Imperial Psycho
2010-07-23, 08:34 AM
"I am able to attempt any task that may be required." Mattias stares off into the middle-distance, paying little attention to the Drow that mill around. He bends down, and strokes his Black Wolf, Night. "I suppose this means I will be going even farther from the surface."

Narmoth
2010-07-23, 10:08 AM
A tall, bald male drow is looking with interest upon Mattias, then approaches Zerith:
Excuse me, sir, but would you mind if I talked for a while with your slave? I have never encountered any of his kind before, and I find it a fascinating creature" he asks

SlyJohnny
2010-07-23, 11:31 AM
A heavyset duergar garbed in full steel plate the colour of dulled and burnished copper pushes open the door and wades in to the room. He has a wispy blonde beard that extends all over his neck and up the side of his face in thick sideburns, like a parasitic creature attached to his jaw. His bright magenta eyes scan the room, sizing up each and every drow and slave. He looks slightly tired, and a little sweaty: it appears as if he only just arrived.

"The city of Drik Hargunen extends its congratulations to House Keanar on their discovery of these ruins, and to all the drow who have come here." he states in a clear, precise voice, only just above a normal speaking level.

"I am Durrost, son of Kroann. I have been sent here to represent the duergar, and to offer you my expertise and assistance in your excavations." He continues, more quietly. "As a gesture of our good will, towards our trusted allies. Thank you."

He bows, and falls silent, looking about the room.

aivanther
2010-07-23, 08:33 PM
ooc: Forum at my previous post, it seems.

"I suppose this means I will be going even farther from the surface."

"Sometimes we must take steps down a path we detest to attain that which we most desire. Just keep your eyes keen, your bow knocked, and your wolf ready. My race isn't known for its cooperative nature. Once treasure is found, be sure knives will begin to sprout from backs."

A tall, bald male drow is looking with interest upon Mattias, then approaches Zerith:
Excuse me, sir, but would you mind if I talked for a while with your slave? I have never encountered any of his kind before, and I find it a fascinating creature" he asks

Zerith looks at the new comer a second then replies with derision dripping from his words, " 'Excuse me?' What are you, an overly tall kobold that is only half as ugly as normal? My slave is not a toy or a display piece. He is a tracker and a killer. Find others to nag." Zerith turns dismissively, though the watchspider beside watches the newcomer with its many eyes.

The Anarresti
2010-07-23, 09:23 PM
A scrawny drow who has been performing chi focusing exercises in a corner of the room drops to his feet (from his one-armed handstand), breathes, and then walks over to join the group, placing one foot very carefully in front of the other, toes pointing slightly inward. He is dressed in a ragged monks' uniform of a nondescript grey, and he has wrappings around the palms and knuckles of his hands, and covering his feet in the place of shoes. An incandescent blue sphere orbits his head, which is bare, but a cowl and mask, of the same nondescript grey rags, lie around his neck.
He presses his long-fingered hands together, and addresses the group. His voice is soft, and he speaks with a slight lisp.
"Salutations. I am named Findor'avin E-Rilyn'Zaurae, but you may call me Custodian, or some other name. I do not care much which. I believe that the Princess Lua, heir to the Matrony of House Rilyn'Zaurae, will be joining this expedition. I will be serving as her guardian for the duration. Rest assured, however, that my duties as caretaker shall not interfere with the needs of the group.
He turns to the duergar.
"We are honored to have you in our company, Sir Durrost Kroannsson. We gratefully accept your expertise: the duergar are unrivaled in their mastery of masonry, and we would indeed be foolhardy to refuse your aid."
Avin then returns the Duergar's bow, reaching almost, but not quite, as low as the he did.
When he straightens, he turns his head to the dark druid and the bald drow, and says something in Elvish, still in that almost-a-whisper tone.
"Bickering over a glance at a slave, gentlemen? Please, we are better than this. If we cannot remain civilized among each other, how can we survive among the wilds of the lower underdark?"

Narmoth
2010-07-24, 05:23 AM
"No, but I guess your poor eyesight will have to be excused, since you fail to recognize the heir of house Manduniasar"
the drow replies in a calm voice
"Still, a commoner should be more humble when he replies to a noble of the blood, and more accommodating when his existence is not only acknowledged, but when he is given the favor to be able to be of service"
the young drow still looks at the slave rather than the slaves master.
he then turns to the monk
"You would be right, if it weren't for the fact that I can't accept a commoner replying to me in such a tone, just as little as you could accept an attack at Princess Lua Rilyn'Zaurae"

aivanther
2010-07-24, 09:14 AM
"I've not spent enough time in the city in the last decade to remember who is what to whom. In the underdark, the hook horrors and displacer beasts don't care your house our your station. They only care what you taste like." Zerith trails off and holds out his arm, and Daer, his bat familiar, lands on it. He begins scratching it under the chin as he continues, "And those are only if we're lucky. There are much much worse things in these areas."

Erad
2010-07-24, 09:32 AM
"You can settle your disputes later, away from my sight", said priestess, "Now, who will be the leader of this scum. Princess Lua? Where is she? I don't want to waste time with such as you! No matter, you can always repeat my words to her. And now listen closely. There is a maze around here, so choose whatever way you prefer. First of all, you can investigate those ruins further. There is and old, mostly ruined tower not far from this place. We surrounded it, but so far nobody ventured inside. Worth of checking. Another option is to try and descend the huge well, below the center of the city, it's dry and can possibly lead to levels below, to deeper sections of the city. And finally, you can pick a random passage of the maze nearby and see where it leads. Most of those who came chose this option. And remember, everything you find, you bring here. Later Mistress Kelya would divide the loot and you'll get your part. Questions?"

OOC: You can describe your surroundings yourselves.

SlyJohnny
2010-07-24, 10:03 AM
"Thank you, Custodian Findor'avin. You honour me." Durrost replies, while eying over the other two drow as they circle one another and growl, with their snark. So these drow havn't worked together before, then. Good. He can work with that.

Durrost runs a gauntleted hand down his cloak, dusting it off. It's a beautifully made cloak, formed of an unidentifiable, flowing fabric inlaid with intricate, equally unidentifiable embroidery. The hem of it is ridged like a bat's wing. He addresses the group,

"This well sounds the most rewarding. I would take responsibility for your safety. I could safely descend ahead of you, to ensure the shaft is stable. And these fine beasts of yours would be a valuable help." He says, smiling at the bat as it alights on Zerith's arm. "The tower sounds safest. But it could just be an empty ruined guard tower."

He turns to the priestress.

"Mistress... a moment of your valuable time, if we may." Durrost murmurs. "This tower. Would it appear to have been a small guard tower? Or a residence of some kind? And the well you mentioned... do you believe, then, it was built to be accessible from multiple levels of the city?"

Narmoth
2010-07-24, 11:24 AM
"Ignorance is never an excuse for tactlessness, nor is your pathetic attempt at an apology satisfactory" Akhvelahr whispers when the priestess finishes
he then turns to Durrost
"In my opinion, the tower is more interesting. Already because they have taken the effort to surround it."

aivanther
2010-07-24, 11:36 AM
After a bow to the priestess, Zerith turns so his hands are not visible and signs in the Drow Sign Language, I think you missed the point, you did not receive an apology.

Glancing at the tower Zerith says aloud, "If we are a group, then I suppose I must go with the group, though I dislike the thought of venturing into a tower."

Narmoth
2010-07-24, 12:47 PM
"Which you failed to notice was what was my intention to point out" he answers in whisper rather than in sign language
"Until I receive a satisfactory apology you should not expect to be treated according to any worth you might have. And the worthless tend to meet an untimely death...."

he walks closer to the priestess

The Anarresti
2010-07-24, 02:03 PM
The monk has been standing still during this whole exchange. After genuflecting to the priestess, he turns to the two bickering drow and says, still in a soft neutral tone (but is there a hint of steel in his tone?)
"Although the Young Master is correct, that those of his station should not bear insult," a perfunctory bow in the direction of the bald drow "this honored priestess is correct: such disputes have no place. Such a person as yourself, Young Master, must realize this. And you, Sir...Mercenary," a brief pause in speech, as the monk struggles to peg Zerith in the accepted hierarchy of drow society "have the knowledge to realize that such bickering can get us killed. Please, let us behave as civilized beings and bury our grievances for now: the needs of the group must supersede the pride of a few."
He then turns to the priestess.
"Mother, I apologize for the behavior of my fellow-(male)-drow, as for the absence of the Princess. She is completing some last-minute business with the caravan of servants and slaves that accompanied us here. I was sent ahead to prepare the way for her, and to select an appropriate group.
As custodian of the Princess, I have a preference for the Tower. However, as a servant of House Rilyn'Zaurae I prefer the Well, seeing as discovering a new level would bring much honor onto my patron House."

Narmoth
2010-07-24, 02:16 PM
"We don't have to choose," the drow noble turns to the monk
"I simply suggest that we go to the tower before the well, as the tower might provide information about, amongst other things, the well"

The Anarresti
2010-07-24, 03:03 PM
"The Young Master chooses wisely," the monk said, inclining his head toward Akhvelahr, indicating agreement with that decision.

SlyJohnny
2010-07-24, 03:54 PM
"Hm. So two vote for the well, two vote for the tower. Unless these men intend to kill one another over the slight, which may change the numbers." Durrost smiles, mirthlessly.

"Though perhaps I have misunderstood." He says, looking pointedly at Akhvelahr. "I believed the priestress intends all the places listed to be explored. Today. If we do not choose a destination, it may be assigned to another group, and we would miss our chance to be the first. Do I have the right of it, Mistress?"

Durrost waits for the priestress to respond to his questions before he changes or reaffirms his decision. He reaches into a beltpouch and produces a silver coin, seemingly ready to flip it to decide which of the disputed destinations the party goes to first.

Imperial Psycho
2010-07-24, 04:00 PM
Mattias looks up from Night, looking at the Drow and Duergar assembled around him. "If my word amounts to anything at all, I would choose the tower. " He gives his wolf a final pat, then stands.

aivanther
2010-07-24, 05:09 PM
"I have no desire to do battle. I am here with a purpose, and my companions and my slave being put on display are not part of it." Zerith says. He ignores the slaves remark, but does say, "It seems like the discussion is useless. The princess will, of course, make the decision."

Felyndiira
2010-07-24, 11:56 PM
Perhaps she was simply a bit paranoid, but as she departed to rejoin her expedition group, Lua was under the impression that even the servants - no more the caravan owner - was dismissing her almost as if she was a mere commoner.

From the outside, she was a pretty drow girl - not yet reaching adulthood - befitting of her position; obviously young and inexperienced, Lua nevertheless possessed a pair of rose-tinted eyes that shone with a unique innocence. She was dressed in the clerical garments of a priestess; white spidersilk robes embalmed with the etching of a spiderweb, barely covering a light chain shirt that served as her only protection. She seemed out of place here as a child; set under the gray ceilings of the Underdark, one couldn't help but feel sorry for her as an emerald in the gravel pit. Ponder for a moment, and one would wonder how she had even survived in the chaos that is the matriarchy of the underdark drow.

It was almost an accident, in fact, that she was still alive and on this expedition. Her mother, Charrae Rilyn'Zaurae, was a matron that commanded utmost respect amongst her people, and had summarily executed almost every single one of her children for attempting a rebellion against her. Lua's older sisters had, on multiple occasions, tried to pull Lua to there sides, but the girl was unrealistically afraid to defy the matron more than she was ambitious; as a result of this luck, she was the only one of the matron's children that was spared during the great purge.

Meanwhile, Charrae was growing old and sterile with age; by house law, the matriarchy was to be passed to her most promising of children as proven by a successful betrayal. Now, the matron had developed a fondness for her youngest daughter, although it is almost unquestionable that Lua lacked the leadership necessary to succeed the house. Thus, on the day that Lua was to receive her Blooding ritual, Charrae instead handed the girl a vial of mercury and a morning star.

"Learn these, and you will become my successor," she beckoned, and thus, Lua became a part of the expedition, not even understanding the purpose of being given a mercury vial in such an event.

Her business with the slaves are long finished; she stood at the back-side of the group now, away from attention as they bickered about the route that the party should next take. Her companions were a rather strange sort - Findor'avin, two wizard-like males, and a drugar that had seemingly convinced Kianar of his value. Expectantly, she would have taken command as the only cleric and representative of the Queen of Spiders; it would have been logical for her to appear before them and speak her non-existent opinions and for the group to follow without question. She was still hesitant to do this as they bickered, and as threats were announced between the other two males.

"The Young Master chooses wisely." Avin had cast his opinion now. Ever since childhood, she had a high opinion of the disciplined drow; he had been her companion since she was only a toddler, and his words had reflected significantly upon her mind. Lua found herself suddenly in agreement with exploring the ruined tower - irrelevant of the experienced Kianar's opinion - and stepped slowly toward the main group.

"I am present," she announced before she could consider the situation. She scrambled a moment for an excuse to echo her mentor's words, and eventually managed to find them in her studies of chance and architecture. "With no prior exploration of the two areas, it would seem just as likely that, er, the ruined tower house relics of importance as the well lead to a deeper section of the city. If nothing unexpected should rise - should the tower prove to be a dead end, we can descend with little trouble; should the well prove adequately deep and undesirable, we will have wasted precious time in scaling its walls. Thus, I, er, it would be best if we begin our expedition by entering the towers first."

"I am Lua Rilyn'Zaurae, heir of my house and a priestess of the revered spider queen." She glanced around a bit nervously, then added - rather uncharacteristically and almost overshadowed by Avin's figure, "my apologies for my absence."

OOC: As Leaf may have told you, I just moved to a new home and am typing this post using our temporary hotel's internet service. I've arranged for high-speed internet in my new residence, although the modem et. al. won't arrive for at most 5 business days, so the only way I could access the internet is if I could sneak in a few minutes after my orientation at my new job. Thus, I may not be able to post much, if at all, for a few days after this, and feel free to DMPC or generally move Lua around until I come back.

Lua, out of combat, is basically a character that's trying to fulfill her mother's desires and struggling with a lack of leadership capabilities. She'll try - and is likely expected - to take command of the group and struggle quite a bit with it. In combat, she uses a morningstar relatively ineffectively, has access to the Leading the Attack maneuver, and is otherwise going to melee a lot.

The Anarresti
2010-07-25, 12:13 AM
"My Lady," Avin says, almost unconsciously putting a hand on her back to guide her to the front of the group, near the priestess. He doesn't smile, but he squeezes her sholdur, as if to say nice save.
Facing the Priestess, but addressing the whole group, he says "If all else is taken care of, shall we be off?"

Narmoth
2010-07-25, 01:45 AM
As the last member of the group arrives, the young drow noble bows with a faint ironic smile on his lips:
"I'm filled with joy upon seeing the heir of Rilyn'Zaurae. Your beauty, which is even greater than what is told in all of Underdark, does honor upon your house. I'm humbled that you in your wisdom came to the same conclusion as I" he then turns serious, and even a bit of warmth is in his voice
"My name is Akhvelahr of Manduniasar, soon to be adept of the Arcanists Guild, and I will see to that Rilyn'Zauraes gem is brought back in one peace and breathing"

aivanther
2010-07-25, 08:05 AM
Zerith simply bows to the priestess, choosing to remain silent. He looks at the assembled group, the glances at Mattias, "Well, it seems we are to go to the tower. You have no experience with traps, if I recall." He sits down where he is and thinks for a bit, scratching the chin of his familiar Daer, as the spider Fayel lies down next to him like a dog.

Imperial Psycho
2010-07-25, 08:32 AM
"You are correct. One rarely encounters traps in the Wilderness."

aivanther
2010-07-25, 08:50 AM
"You are correct. One rarely encounters traps in the Wilderness."

Zerith chuckles and says, "Or at least none of those that humanoids make. If your wilderness is anything like the underdark, then its traps have more fang and claw to them, but are none-the-less real."

SlyJohnny
2010-07-25, 09:48 AM
Durrost studies the young heiress closely as she speaks, but as soon as she's finished he merely nods and looks away. So the group has a female attached to it after all. Young, unsure, but the males fawn over her and defer to her judgement still. Hm. Better then arguing with one another like territorial lizards. At least she will be able to resolve their petty disputes as they arise. And she seems welcoming of advice in areas she has no direct experience of. Good.

He puts his coin away, nodding to the priestress.

"A decision has been reached, Mistress. We will explore the tower." He says, firmly.

Erad
2010-07-26, 10:15 AM
The tower... well towered over the ruined city. It raised about thirty yards above the camp level. A few windows appeared on every five yards - probably they were inner levels. The building was made from some strange black material - but not obsidian that was known to drow. The tower lacked decorations, but looked like it was holding something mighty. Perhaps it was a guard tower, or part of castle or perhaps it was something else. Two massive doors on the ground level were wide open.

The tower was heavily surrounded, but adventurers were allowed inside without problems.

"If you need help, we are here", said one of guards, "But if you call us, we want part of the treasure you find."

From outside, only a small section of inner hall was seen. The floor was dusty, like no one stepped on it for at least hundread years. And the tower was deadly silent.

SlyJohnny
2010-07-26, 12:15 PM
"Has there been any activity or movement from the tower, soldier? Were those doors already open when you arrived?" Durrost murmurs. He doesn't look at the soldier as he addresses him, merely peers up at the tower, with his bright magenta eyes.

He turns briefly to Lua. "Mistress. I have experience with unusual stonework, and traps. I am the most well-armored of us. Duergar darkvision is as keen as that of drow. I volunteer to take point and check the entryway." He waits for her to give any sign of assent, and then steps forward, muttering in Dwarven as he waves his hands. "Tuh kumm m'oledan, a' Hessler, tuh kumm h'aldok-" ((Summon Special mount. Time left: 12 hours))

An inky blackness seems to seep out of a crack in the earth and swiftly coalesce into the solid form of a monstrous spider the size of a horse. It seems to be wearing a saddle around its thorax, along with several saddlebags and strips of reinforced leather barding covering it's vulnerable points. Durrost walks over to it and briefly touches one of its pedipalps in what might be a gesture of affection. Then he unslings a heavy battleaxe, tests the edge against his gauntlet, and moves towards the entrance. The spider glances over the party with an insectoid dismissiveness, and then follows after him, covering his flank.

Durrost pulls down a set of scoped goggles over his eyes and flicks a switch on the side of them. They make a soft flicking sound as lenses switch in and out. He takes excessive care in searching the entryway for traps, taking two minutes to check and double-check the stonework, and then enters the hall slowly, remaining alert.

((Taking 20 to search the entryway. Search check of 30.
Autosearch roll for being within 10 feet of stonework: [roll0]
If required, Hessler's spot is at +14, Durrost's is +2. Listen is +0 and +2 hers and his respectively, but Hessler has Tremorsense out to 60 ft.))

The Anarresti
2010-07-26, 05:11 PM
The monk moves to a position just immediately in front of his mistress, eyes and ears looking out for trouble, knees bent, hands held out, wrapped palms up, ready for anything. He follows the duergar, at a safe distance.

take up a position in the line, five feet behind the duergar, an empty square between himself and Durrost. In the square immediately in front of Lua. Spot: +14 Listen: +14

aivanther
2010-07-26, 06:43 PM
Zerith nods towards Mattias and then says to the reaming two drow, "I think we'll bring up the rear. My pets and my slave are both adept at what they do, and we don't want anything springing out from behind us." Glancing at the noble he says, "Despite our...words earlier, in the den of the unknown, allies are necessary and you can be sure you will not need fear with me at your back."

Zerith and Daer take up position behind the princess and the wizard, gesturing for them to proceed. He gestures to Mattias to bring up the absolute rear. Fayel, the watchspider crawls up along side the wall. (taking 10 = 23), and attaches a strand of web to the door's edge.

Zerith: spot +9 listen +12
Daer: spot +9 listen +12, blindsense 20ft
Fayel: spot +12, listen +3, tremorsense 60ft

Felyndiira
2010-07-26, 06:43 PM
"Then, er, please lead on," Lua replies to the Duergar; she wasn't quite sure if convention required her to respond with arrogance or appreciation, and instead chose a more neutral tone. Leading the search party at the forefront - it was something that she would not dare to do, and silently, she admired the pale dwarf's confidence and confidence. Perhaps - lower creature or not - there is a lot that she can learned from the man. Perhaps he was a reason that her mother placed her into this party, although she dared not follow his example. Not now.

Lua positioned herself carefully behind Avin, cautious not to let herself fall at the rear of the group. Her morning star drawn, she tried to still her shaking hands as she slowly crept within the party, studying the tower walls and trying to uncover some figment from her studies that may - just may - dispel the unknown that lies within.

The girl was a bit frightened of what may lie within the ruins, although she would die before she would let the others acknowledge her apprehension. A frightened priestess of Lolth was not worthy of being the heir to the house, and the young heiress will not bring shame to her mother here.

She clinched her teeth, and continued into the tower of the unknown.

Rolling a cloistered cleric lore (bardic lore) check on the tower to see if I know anything about it:

[roll0]

Also, Lua has +6 in both listen and spot. I have no idea how Zerith has a +4 bonus to spot rather than +2 racial, though =p.

aivanther
2010-07-26, 07:40 PM
Rolling a cloistered cleric lore (bardic lore) check on the tower to see if I know anything about it:

[roll0]

Also, Lua has +6 in both listen and spot. I have no idea how Zerith has a +4 bonus to spot rather than +2 racial, though =p.

Racial +2
Alertness from Familiar +2

Narmoth
2010-07-27, 01:12 AM
Knowledge arcana check to know something about the tower
[roll0]

Akhvelahr checks that his rapier is loose in it's sheath before proceeding to follow by the side of the young priestess

aivanther
2010-07-27, 07:16 AM
Zerith, his familiar, and his companion follow up behind.

Imperial Psycho
2010-07-27, 08:12 AM
Mattias draws his bow and takes up the Rear, his Wolf beside him.

Erad
2010-07-28, 12:57 PM
The Tower

Adventurers hesitated before entering the tower and decided to examine it first.

Captain of the guards said "The tower was already open when we came and nobody moved in or out".

Durrost examined the doors and luckily found a strange mechanism. Mechanism was partially hidden within walls, but skilled duergar knew where to look. Door and it's mechanical locks were quite strange. It was easy to open the door from outside, it was enough to push it hard. However from inside, door was nearly impossible to be opened, a battering ram could be needed for this. Also, duergar found two crystals within the mechanism, which seemed to react to specific magic spell and it would cause the door to close.

The head of the group, young priestess also tried to inspect the door but to no avail. Civilization that once dwelled here was to alien for her.

Akhvelahr on the other side was smart enough to guess something about the tower. It was a guard tower indeed - but it's purpose was to protect the outside from what lies within and not the other way around.

For now, everything was calm and the entrance hall looked quiet.

(Remember that you can't read thoughts, you need to tell others about your findings.)

SlyJohnny
2010-07-28, 01:49 PM
Durrost stands up, performing a final check of one of the hinges. "Custodian Findor'avin, you are standing too close to me. If I spring a trap, you might be caught in it, too. In fact, you should all... blood and ashes, what is this? ...I think you'd all best see this. Come closer."

Durrost gestures the party forward, and points to seemingly random places on the stone.

"Hidden mechanisms. Made to look like stone. You see these pneumos, here? And the way the pistons are capped like so? Should it be closed, opening this door from the other side would be impossible without a huge exertion of force. Without a seige weapon, we would become trapped. And look here..."

He points to another bit of stone, and gingerly wipes one off with a peice of lichen, so that it's obviously apparent as a peice of crystal.

"I have seen this before. These two crystals are set up as breaker switches. If I have the right of it, they will react to the right sort of magical trigger- a specific spell- and they will spring the mechanism and cause the door to close. Again, trapping us. I don't know how they work or what the spell might be... I am no wizard."

He rises, peering into the darkness. "This isn't to keep invaders from getting in... it's to keep inhabitants from getting out. Why make such a thing? What is it for?"

He looks back at the party. "I don't know how to disable this mechanism without triggering it. We should destroy the door or wedge it open before we enter."

The Anarresti
2010-07-28, 06:32 PM
"If this mechanism is designed to keep something in, then perhaps we shouldn't destroy it," Avin says, grey eyes following where Durrost points. "On the other hand, we do not want to be trapped in here. Could we find another exit from the tower, possibly a window of some sort, or have a way to tell the guards to open the door when we are ready to leave? Failing that, I believe we should prop the door open, avoiding unnecessary destruction, and tell the guards to remain vigilant to any horrors that may emerge.
Sir Knight, my training has made me vigilant to danger. I believe that I will probably be fine where I am. I would not want to be unable to come to your aid if something goes awry."
Nevertheless, the monk steps back, allowing another five feet of space between himself and the dwarf. He turns toward the princess and whispers: "My lady, although I do not fear traps, if you feel it necessary to your personal safety to put more space between yourself and the duergar, I will accompany you. No one would think less of you for removing yourself from possible danger."

aivanther
2010-07-28, 10:27 PM
Zerith lets those more familiar with the works of humanoids do there thing. He looks up the face of the tower and sends his bat up the wall to survey the face of the tower and see what it can see or sense.

Imperial Psycho
2010-07-29, 10:36 AM
"Simple. Tell the Guards to open the door when we send Zerith's bat out of the window. When we are ready to leave, we can easily send the bat out. "

SlyJohnny
2010-07-29, 12:03 PM
Durrost turns, raising an eyebrow as if surprised the slave spoke up. He seems impressed with the idea.

"...Yes. That is clever thinking." He glances over Mattias, sizing the man up. "You are very far from home, angel-blood. Will you tell me your real name?"

Durrost waits long enough to hear an answer (if one is forthcoming), and then turns, saying "The slave's plan is safest. Someone should advise the guard captain." and walking into the tower. His giant spider follows close on his heels, as if she's eager to be moving out of the exposed, open cavern and into the closer confines of the tower.

((OOC: Erad, Durrost gets to make a Search check every time he passes within 5 feet of stone, as if he was actively searching. Should I attach a Search roll to every one of my posts? Or will you roll for me, whenever there's something to find?))

Erad
2010-07-29, 12:32 PM
No need to do the rolls.

Imperial Psycho
2010-07-29, 12:38 PM
"Mattias. Mattias Wake." He decides to omit the 'Elfsbane' honourific, doubting that the Drow in the group would react well him boasting of the Dark Elves he has killied.

aivanther
2010-07-29, 12:40 PM
Zerith quirks and eyebrow at the exchange, but says nothing until the Dwarf starts moving. Turning to Mattias he says, "Well thought out."

The Anarresti
2010-07-29, 06:08 PM
"Excellent thinking, Slave." The use of the term is not derogatory, but merely reflects Mattias's place in drow society. "I wonder, I was able to be introduced to your master, as well as the Wizard and the Knight. Could I be introduced to you? What role do you serve?"
The monk then turns to the rest of the party, waiting to listen to Mattias's response until they are underway.
"I hope someone is making a map. It would not do to be lost in unfamiliar territory" He remarks to the group at large, double-checking the wrappings on his hands and feet. Once he finishes with that, he quickly and quietly explains Mattias's plan to the guards, and then moves to his place in the line by his mistress, 15ft behind the Duergar.

Imperial Psycho
2010-07-30, 12:03 PM
"I am somewhat competent with Bow and sword. Beyond that, I can track and hunt." The words sound rehearsed, as if he had to repeat them often.

Mattias falls in at the rear of the group, and nocks an arrow.

Erad
2010-07-31, 12:04 PM
The party slowly advanced forward, further into the tower. From the entrance hall, there was a staircase leading up, so the adventurers took it. Durrost encountered a few places that could hide traps, but none of them were working, probably due to the old age of the tower. After some time, the party entered a medium sized room, with massive door on the other side. At the sides of the door stood two strangely looking statues. Each statue was carved as humanoid, but with purple half-transparent flesh, like jelly. One of the statues was wearing plate armor and wielded a long blade. A second statue was dressed in wizard robe. Both statues looked strangely alive, like living creatures who stood still for some reason.

As for the door, it looked like smaller version of the outer door, except that this one was locked tight. Or at least closed, without any signs of keyhole.

SlyJohnny
2010-07-31, 12:59 PM
Durrost examines the statues with a critical eye, automatically more interested in their construction more then their artistry or meaning. "What odd things." is all he says.

He walks past them to the door, cautiously examining the floor for traps as he goes, looking as if he's going to be at this for a while. The spider following him seems to get bored, and clambers up one of the walls and moves onto the ceiling, crawling towards the centre, and then folding in on herself as if she's trying to hide.

((Taking 20 to Search each segment of the floor on the way to the door, and the door itself, result 30. Hessler is trying to conceal herself on the ceiling, [roll0] Hide))

The Anarresti
2010-07-31, 01:28 PM
The monk's fingers move in the way of the secret Drow Sign Language:
I wonder what my mistress and the esteemed Wizard make of these statues
Then he turns his head to follow the spider's movement. Thinking it a good idea, he goes to the corner of his room closest to his mistress and pulls his grey hood up over his face, crouches down and sits perfectly still. The scrawny drow in shabby grey robes appears to blend into the grey rocks surrounding him, almost as if by magic.
Hide Check: [roll0] If you make a map of this room, put Avin in a hiding area that has the following criteria (in order from most important to least important): 1. Ease of access to his mistress 2. Cover from the two strange statues 3. Surrounded by debris that he can use his tumble and jump skills to move around in to his advantage

aivanther
2010-07-31, 01:30 PM
"Hold a second, I have a feeling about places like this."

Casting Detect Magic, first checking the statues.

Erad
2010-07-31, 02:02 PM
As soon as one of the adventurers moved inside the room, warrior's statue began to move. It opened his mouth and it's chest began to raise and lower. It was breathing! Moments later it opened it's eyes and spotted adventurers.

"Проснись брат! У нас гости!", - it said and wizard's statue came to life too.
Now the adventurers could clearly see that those were living creatures, it was unbelievable that they could be mistaken for statues moments ago.

Then warrior stepped forward and put his hand on the hilt of his blade.

"Кто вы? Кто такие? Зачем вы пришли сюда?" - it was a question, but on unknown language.

Both of the creatures were eying adventurers with caution and disbelief.

If any of you know russian, please don't metagame. Think how you can make contact with them. Or is it better to start fighting? Or maybe flee?

SlyJohnny
2010-07-31, 03:19 PM
Durrost starts, backing away and raising his battleaxe. His eyes narrow as if he's going to charge. He thinks better of it, and then raises the battleaxe to his side, in an open 'I-mean-no-harm' gesture

"What! I thought they were statues. Ahh... hello. I can't understand you. I am Durrost. Do you speak the trade language?" he asks, in Undercommon. Then he asks them if they speak Common, Dwarven or Terran. "Do you speak surfacer common? Toh habe yulla Dwarfen? Hassaxa' mesht' angossa ho Terra langua?"

Imperial Psycho
2010-07-31, 03:23 PM
After Durrosts attempts, Mattias tries to communicate to them in Celestial. It's a long shot, but worth a try. He also trains an arrow on the warrior.

aivanther
2010-07-31, 04:24 PM
In common Zerith hisses, "Lower your bow. Keep the arrow ready, but we don't need to provoke them."

Zerith then steps forward, softly saying to the dwarf, "Back up a step and lower your weapon." Zerith does the same. He then bows to the 'statues' and begins alternating languages between draconic, elven, gnomish, goblin, and druidic, each time saying the equivalent, "Greetings, neighbors, I am Zerith, druid and wizard."

The Anarresti
2010-07-31, 05:14 PM
Avin remains where he is, hoping not to be seen, noticing that he has no unique language to add to this polyglot mix.

Imperial Psycho
2010-07-31, 06:30 PM
Mattias reduces the tension on the arrow, while keeping it notched, and lowers the bow.

Erad
2010-08-01, 07:53 AM
At first, the guard showed no signs of understanding. When he heard Celestial however his eyes got wide with surprise. Then he bowed to Mattias.

- You know the divine language! - he replied in Celestial, - But who are you? You don't look like Ven Arn, who are you then? Are you one of those who had heavenly blood in them? But a mix with who? A low humans? And who are those creatures who came with you? What are you doing in the Tomb Of Blood Lord?

The wizard looked around and asked on the same language:

- Why it is so dark in here? What happened with surroundings? And who now leads the Conclave of Wizards?

He hesitated then added on Common to duergar:

- Dark creature, is the language of humans is the only you can speak? You don't speak Divine or Ven Arn language?

SlyJohnny
2010-08-01, 08:09 AM
Durrost looks back at the drow behind him, with confusion. Then he addresses the wizard in common, "I think all of us speak passable surface common. You are speaking in Celestial to the sl- the scout-archer? I never learned it."

He walks over to the wizard, standing right next to him and extending his free hand, the one not holding his axe, to shake hands with him.

"I am Durrost, from the city of Drik Hargunen. We are sorry for our sudden intrusion. Who are you? What is this place?"

While he grips the wizards hand, he concentrates and looks over both the wizard and the warrior, secretly trying to sense any malignancy in their spirits.

((Detect Evil on both statues.))

Imperial Psycho
2010-08-01, 08:53 AM
In Celestial, Mattias Replies. "Yes. I am a human, albeit with divine blood. As for our purpose..." Mattias hesitates. "We are...exploring."

Erad
2010-08-01, 09:08 AM
None of the Ven Arns showed evil.

Wizard shook Durrost's hand and replied in Common again:

- Beyond this door lies a monstrosity, one of Kalangas. We didn't know how to end him for good, so we put him to slumber in this tower. The Conclave sent us as guardians... I don't know how long ago. The relieve had to arrive, I am sure in it, but it didn't. Then we are destined to stay here until we die of the old age, because Kalanga can not be released to the outer world.
But tell me, who now leads the Conclave? How long ago Tarisa Firehair leaded it?

And added to himself - "Language of lower creatures".

The warrior said nothing, allowing the mage to do the talk.

SlyJohnny
2010-08-01, 09:55 AM
Durrost grunts in annoyance. "I was afraid of something like that. When I saw the door... well. There's nothing useful to be found here, then."

He turns briefly back to the party, and then speaks in Undercommon, "Does the creature speak true? They may be lying to cover up a treasure, but unless we're sure, we can't risk it."

He turns back to the wizard and meets his gaze. "This might be... difficult for you to hear. But it has been a long, long time since you last awoke. This city lies in ruins. Until recently, it was completely forgotten by all. You are the first sign of life we have found. I don't even know of the Ven Arns, but I am no scholar... perhaps one of the others might have heard of you. But you are certainly no longer major players, here in the Underdark."

He gestures to the door with his axe. "We have no wish to awaken any powerful monstrosities. We are explorers. We are with a large expedition of drow who came here to uncover this cities secrets, and, if you will tell us what you know of this city and it's layout, I will gladly tell the others that this tower is to remain cordoned off and undisturbed, and this group will move on to more promising finds elsewhere. If you help me with your knowledge of this city, then I will help you uncover the truth about what happened to your people."

Erad
2010-08-01, 10:47 AM
- Underdark? - asked the guard in Common, - Is it a name of country? Or a continent? Or do you mean that we are... beneath the earth? Underground? But when we were put to trance we were beneath the blue sky and golden sun!

- If the city lies in ruins, - said wizard, - then our vigil will last forever. We can't leave the tower to explain about the city to you. And I doubt we can recognize it now.

It is time for others to react. Will you leave the tower and check other options? Or do you intend to stay?

aivanther
2010-08-01, 12:34 PM
Zerith ponders a moment, then says in common, "You have been here several millenia, then, if what you say is true. This area has been under ground for as long as we can remember. But tell me, what is this creature, this 'Kalangas'? The name is unfamiliar to me, but it may simply be you have a different word for it than we."

Erad
2010-08-01, 01:09 PM
- It is a vampire, - said the warrior, - but not just ordinary one. All nation of Kalangas had an ability and a horrid one! Have you ever heard about Elementals from planes of Fire, Earth and the like? Or about beings of pure positive - or negative energy? Well the creatures that Kalangas can summon are similar in some way. They are creatures of pure lust for blood, horrible entities of vampirism. Those beings can't be destroyed. We know that Conclave started a research for it, but I don't know if it was ever finished. If it is released than... it'll be unstoppable!

aivanther
2010-08-01, 01:19 PM
Zerith pauses, a little shocked at that description. "A vampire that has access to a sub-plane then? A sub-plane of vampirism...fascinating. I can see why you don't want it unleashed." Zerith pauses as if considering something. He then says, "I assume none of the usual vampiric things, you know silver and holy water work on it?"

Know Arcana about this thing: [roll0]

SlyJohnny
2010-08-01, 01:48 PM
Durrost scans his memory, wondering if any of his prior religious instruction on how to combat undead covered legends of this type of vampire. Probably that drow cleric would know as much or more then him, but he scans his memory anyway.

((Knowledge: Religion [roll0]))

Felyndiira
2010-08-01, 02:34 PM
Lua stood near the monk, simply listening to the conversation between the druegar and the statue creatures. Is it proper to call them statue-creatures? No matter; if the tower is truly as they say, then it would be prudent to disregard their insults and leave with haste, perhaps informing the remainder of the expedition of the danger.

"If..." her voice trailed. She was not within the confines of her house anymore. What would her mother say if a slip of the tongue, made in haste, jeopardized the safety of the expedition? Would she be banished from her house in shame and lose what remained of her status to the winds? No, she must be careful;

"This tower, er, is it's sole purpose then to lock down this creature?" she finally asked. Her mind raced through her studies to find any knowledge of these creatures, or of the supposed order that was supposed to imprison them. "Our team is a part of an expedition," she added, "and there may be other, less communicable teams that may intrude and carelessly free the creature in search of wealth. Any information that you provide us would help minimize the chance of this occurrence. I think."

Knowledge (Religion) to find out about the creatures, etc: [roll0]
Knowledge (Arcana) to find out about the order, etc: [roll1]
Spellcraft to try to understand the magic within the tower, including what spells created the prison, its properties, and any runes/sources of magic within the tower: [roll2]

The Anarresti
2010-08-01, 02:36 PM
Watching quietly from the shadows, Avin tries to determine if these strange creatures are being honest. He then stands up, announcing his prescence:
"I'm sorry, but I don't think you can remain here. Even if we leave you alone, others will come: this whole area is now under drow control. I wonder, though, if the thousands of years between now and then have weakened your "Kalangas" through loss of blood. And how have you survived for so long? What race are you?"

Sense Motive: [roll0]

Imperial Psycho
2010-08-02, 04:58 AM
"If we cannot be sure of killing it, we should not release this...vampire. "

SlyJohnny
2010-08-02, 06:34 AM
Durrost cuts in, "You said that your Conclave was researching how to end this creature. Where was this research being done? Was it somewhere else in this city?"

Erad
2010-08-04, 08:24 AM
- The tower holds the crypt of Kalanga, - said warrior.

- And we can't be sure that he became weak, - said wizard and added, - we survived because we were put in magical trance. As for research, it was being done in the University. The city had only one, in the center.

Ven Arns weren't lying.

As for the knowledge about creatures, normal anti-undead measures could help against them if the adventurers would live long enough to use them. Ven Arns possibly could have knowledge of how to trap the monsters. If Lua had now access to wizard laboratories and libraries, she could also guess how exactly it was done.

SlyJohnny
2010-08-04, 12:23 PM
Durrost slaps one gauntletted hand against the other. He speaks, in Undercommon:

"Hah! We have a lead, then! If we find this university, we may find a way to destroy the beast."

He turns to the others. "We need to convince our leaders that they should leave the tower alone until then. Maybe we shouldn't tell them anything... not trouble them with rumours and heresay, until we've seen the university, and can tell them everything. Or maybe we should be forthright? I'm sure I can convince them that this is the best way."

He walks over to the stairwell. "Are we done here? We should tell the guards to hold their position, and head to the well."

Durrost will leave immediately if the others agree, keen to get on with exploring.

Narmoth
2010-08-04, 12:58 PM
For the first time, Akhvelahr speaks out:
I think we should check if there's anything of value here and then report our findings, before proceeding to the well"

Imperial Psycho
2010-08-04, 01:50 PM
"These Guardians may not take kindly to our robbing the place, and they would make valuable allies against that...thing. We should leave. "

aivanther
2010-08-04, 04:50 PM
In undercommon he says, "Tell them we can't find anyway in at the moment, but we have a clue that an old ruin of an academy might have a clue as to how to proceed. And that there's nothing worthwhile in here up until now." Zerith looks around the room, seemingly bored with this discussion. He begins wandering away from the guardians and looking around at what else was in the room.

SlyJohnny
2010-08-04, 05:01 PM
Seeing the party is not ready to leave yet, Durrost checks over the room for traps, secret compartments, or other irregularities in the stone.

((Taking 20 on Search until the party decides to leave or someone attacks the Ven Arns or something.))

Narmoth
2010-08-05, 06:05 AM
The young drow noble turns to the guardians
"Please correct me if I'm wrong, but your task is to guard the creature inside, not any other contents of the tower?"

Erad
2010-08-05, 09:17 AM
- The only valuable things in this tower are the magical items of Kalanga and our gear, - replied warrior.

SlyJohnny
2010-08-05, 01:32 PM
Durrost maintains his expressionless veneer, but inside, he grimaces.

Heavens above, you damned, foolish creatures! Why admit to having things of value? This isn't your city anymore, and these people arn't your friends! Why, Akhvelahr's soul boils with corruption, with evil. He'd likely murder you for two copper peices, let alone magical items! And that shy, uncertain little priestress of Lolth everyone is so taken by is even worse then he! Evil is draped around her soul like a cloak, and she wears it like a garment she's always owned!

His musings are futile, as even if the Ven Arns could read thoughts, Durrost's ring would stop them. All he can do is pray his comrades choose not to try killing and robbing the strange guardians. He had imagined a grander purpose for himself then dying in a brave but futile attempt to protect two strange, naïve aliens.

"I think we should explore elsewhere before we risk robbing the vampire's tomb." Durrost says, brusquely. "We shouldn't impede the work of these honourable guardians, until we're ready to end the beast once and for all."

Imperial Psycho
2010-08-05, 02:06 PM
"Yes. we should leave. The well will no doubt lead us to something more interesting. "

aivanther
2010-08-05, 06:14 PM
"You really want to let others think we gave up on this place and then less discrete ones come in here?" Zerith asks. He laughs and says, "I'd love to be a fly on the wall when someone else comes in here. It'd be a total bloodbath...I wonder who would win?"

Felyndiira
2010-08-05, 06:28 PM
I'm confused. Isn't Durrost supposed to be LE as a Paladin of Tyranny, himself =p?

"What do you think we should do, Avin?" The words slipped from her mouth well before she was aware of them Meekly and hastily, she scrambled, almost stuttering to cover up her own display of weakness. What would mother say if she had heard her own daughter, unable to take charge and deferring to a supposedly lesser gender for advice? Would she be shamed by such an action? She looked around, but could gleam no information from her companion's faces. Perhaps they hadn't heard her? Perhaps, skilled they were at hiding their own outbursts, they were secretly laughing at her lack of resolve, with their ever-passionless faces that they would exchange as if an evening gown.

Perhaps she's just overthinking this. Yeah. After all, what kind of a position would a priestess ? "Avin," she whispered, slowly retreating toward her guardian and concealing her mouth with her sleeves, "what do you think would be the most prudent path? We can ill-afford the risk here, and yet, we would be shamed if we were to leave the tower with empty hands, and if a rabble of street drow best us by stumbling upon one of these treasures..."

Her voice trailed off; she hated the thought of fighting a powerful vampire, but what would become of her if her team would fail? Silently, she cursed that outburst of a decision to intrude upon this place. If only they had chosen the well...

Narmoth
2010-08-06, 01:49 AM
"I think a tribute to the spider queen is in order, and then we'll report our findings as well as hand over the tribute, and let the high priestesses decide"
he turns to the young priestess
"That will show both the ability to take action, as well as proper deference to the authority of your superiors. The bonus is that when someone screws this up, it won't be you, my lady, and it won't be me" he smiles

The Anarresti
2010-08-06, 11:30 AM
"That sounds like a good idea, but what kind of tribute?" asked the monk. "I do not wish to hamstring these guardians while they are containing their charge."
The monk walks over to his obviously flustered mistress and stands behind her: even though he is three inches shorter than her and as skinny as beef jerky, he projects an air of collectedness. Somehow, he seems warmer, trusting of his new comrades. In Surfacer Common:
"In response to my mistress's question, I propose that we submit a full report of the situation to the high priestess in charge, along with some token of the Ven Arns that they may be willing to give us,"turns to face the Ven Arns, nods and extends a hand"so that they will be left to their own devices. then, adding in Undercommon "Then we decisively go down to the well. I can lead there: I see few reasons why one would trap a well, although some of my learned colleagues may disagree, and access to a whole new level would make it less likely to run into dead ends such as this. I would be happy to climb down ahead of the group: I have keen eyes and ears, and have beat the Reaper so many times that he and I are no longer on speaking terms." The monk smiles at his humorless joke.
Avin then leans forward, on tiptoe, and whispers into the little cleric's ear, in Elvish: "It would be prudent, I believe, to begin by making small decisions on your own, and letting the large ones start by consensus. The very reason you are here is to learn how to lead: despite my distaste for unclear leadership, it is obvious that the laws of the city apply differently here: the law of the wilderness is what reigns supreme."

SlyJohnny
2010-08-06, 01:40 PM
Durrost finds his muscles untensing. He hadn't realised he'd drawn himself taut. Or that he was holding his breath, waiting for the Custodian to speak and cast his and Lua's votes. He berates himself for this, and takes a moment to collect himself.

"Your choice of preferred counsel is wise, Mistress. Your mother must have high hopes for you, to have given him to your command." Durrost looks at the monk. "I was assuming I would take point again, but I'm sure I would feel just as safe with you at the lead, Custodian Findor'avin." He murmurs.

"But you need not climb. My boots were forged by a skilled magewright. They would allow you to levitate down slowly, and keep your hands and your attention free. I would be honoured to loan them to you for the descent, and ride my steeder down instead."

He eyes the Ven Arns, wondering how they're taking the monk's proposal.

The Anarresti
2010-08-06, 02:50 PM
"I appreciate your offer, Sir Knight, but my shoes are also magical in nature. Made by skilled drow, these simple things soften my footfalls and allow me to proceed with silence." The monk glances down at his feet, shod in simple, worn moccasins of neutral grey cloth. "I also have a potion that will grant me the climbing ability of a spider. It should last for half an hour, which I believe will be sufficient. Your own boots will be useful to descend the well quickly after I have cleared it, and I would rather any creatures in the well not hear me coming. As an extra precaution, I think it would be prudent to tie a rope around myself, so that if I am in trouble I can alert you by pulling on it, or if I fall you can catch me.
Boots of Elvenkind are very valuable to me: this way I can keep my move silently up at +17. Besides, you can get everyone else down easily if you free up the boots and spider mount for use. Also, a question for the DM: Although I must have my hands free to spider climb, I can still make unarmed strikes, right? Because the unarmed strike description says I do not need my hands free."

aivanther
2010-08-06, 05:18 PM
Zerith says, stifling a yawn, "Yeah yeah, whatever. Whose going to get something off them and how?"

Felyndiira
2010-08-07, 12:37 PM
"I wish it was so simple," Lua replied in a even more calmed whisper. "It must be nice to...um, it's not that I would wish to remain here, but we need something to show that we were, at the least, successful. I think. It wouldn't be graceful to tell the expedition that there were valuables in the tower, but we were too afraid of a vampire to claim them."

"Perhaps if the Manduniasar boy could secure something in his diplomancy...but then again, maybe we just have to bluff our way out of this, for lack of any better solutions."

Erad
2010-08-08, 09:13 AM
- Do you need proof for your leaders that we are here? - asked the guard, - but we can't give you anything, we may need all we have if Kalanga breaks out. Maybe you bring your leader here? I am sure we can convince him or her about the danger of Kalanga!

If you want to convince him to give you something, roll needed skill.

Narmoth
2010-08-08, 09:40 AM
"It doesn't have to be anything applicable for combat. A simple token of deference is needed though, so our leaders won't be inclined to attack you, thus hindering your task"

diplomacy [roll0]

Erad
2010-08-08, 01:49 PM
The guard hesitated for a moment, then said:

- I can give you a ring if you promise to bring it back.

OOC: Please mention a name of your char in every post, either as header or as part of the post. I don't want to go check OOC thread every time!

aivanther
2010-08-08, 03:09 PM
Zerith says in undercommon, "Now that'd be hilarious. Tell the mighty Kelya Kianar that they want to talk to her. She'd have her sacrificial dagger out faster than these people can think."

Narmoth
2010-08-08, 03:46 PM
Akhvelahr smiles: "I will gladly take the ring, but I will give no promises I can't hold." he holds his hand out

The Anarresti
2010-08-08, 07:01 PM
Avin: "I promise to do all in my power to return the ring, but I cannot give a date. It may be one hundred years hence."

Erad
2010-08-09, 07:13 AM
- Let it be so, - said the warrior, removed a small silver ring from his finger and handed it to adventurers.

- Who takes it? - he asked.

SlyJohnny
2010-08-10, 01:47 PM
Durrost

"The wizard is so intent on treasure, let him keep it. If it's a thing of magic, he's most likely to know what it does. Is it a thing of magic, Ven Arns? What does it do?"

Durrost waves his fist lazily, and Hessler drops from the ceiling to land beside him. "Let's move on now. Zerith is falling asleep, and the longer we quibble over trinkets, the more likely some other group will be at the well, looting all the real treasure."

Durrost starts to leave, keen to press on. He'll stop to order the guards to "Hold position until further notice", but otherwise would like to go directly to the well.

Erad
2010-08-10, 02:00 PM
- The ring will add divine damage to any weapon you wield, when you fight someone evil in nature, - replied warrior.

Narmoth
2010-08-10, 06:19 PM
"I can surely take it into my keeping, if her highness of Rilyn'Zaurae so wishes" Akhvelahr smiles to Lua without bowing, more as a friendly offering of help than a submissive gesture

The Anarresti
2010-08-10, 06:32 PM
Avin: "May I add, Sir Prince, that if Her Holiness the High Priest of this encampment does not wish to confiscate the ring, it may be well-placed in my hands. I will be spending much time destroying such evil beings as may harm my mistress or any of our companions, and this item could aid me greatly in that endeavor."
Avin is content wherever he is, as long as he can ensure the safety of his mistress as well as live out his daily routine of meditation. A small part of him, the one that drives him toward self-improvement, is impatient to test itself against the challenges of the underdark, and the mission is for Lua to gain such experience as well. Therefore, Avin will go along very easily with any motions to go to the well. I, however, would wholeheartedly like to move on the well ASAP. Not to sound crude, but I'm looking forward to creeping down some dark tunnels and then breaking heads with my bare hands.

SlyJohnny
2010-08-10, 06:40 PM
Durrost nods in agreement. "Yes. Not all creatures of darkness pay proper fealty to Laduguer or the Spider Queen. Some are too mindless even to fear them. This will be useful to us."

Imperial Psycho
2010-08-11, 03:38 AM
Internally, Mattias fumed. These elves dilly and dally like old women! The dwarf is little better. We have been standing around for a while, and little has been accomplished. Everyone has already agreed to leave, why do we not!?! Externally, Mattias had an expression of serene patience on his face. "We should go. The guards will open the door if we send out the bat. "

aivanther
2010-08-11, 08:13 AM
Glancing up at his slave, Zerith says, "Hmmm? Oh, yes yes...go ahead Daer, open the door for us." He gestures towards a window and the bat flies out to circle around the heads of the guards.

Felyndiira
2010-08-11, 06:50 PM
"Hmm? Yes, keep it and let us make haste." Lua's reply was improvised; her mind was spent thinking of how she - and Avin - will answer to the head of the expedition. Perhaps the ring would do to satisfy her desire - then again, perhaps not, and should the situation ever turn sour, the responsibility and dishonor would fall upon her shoulders as the supposed leader of the group.

She is not to show a moment of weakness: that is one of the rules followed by all who walk in the drow's path, and to the Rilyn'Zaurae house, it may as well be a looming guillotine. Weakness begets death; she glanced at Avin, then at the noble wizard, secretly envious of their lower status. That they did not share this burden of false ability is almost more of an advantage.

"If only there truly was nothing here," she mumbled, hopefully soft enough to avoid her team's ears.

Erad
2010-08-12, 02:51 AM
The guard began to lose patience.

- Are you taking the ring or not?

Narmoth
2010-08-12, 04:57 AM
Akhvelahr opens a purse, and uses it to take the ring, not touching it with his hands

Erad
2010-08-12, 11:22 AM
The warrior frowned, but said nothing.

SlyJohnny
2010-08-12, 12:08 PM
Seeing as the whole party has now agreed on the same course, Durrost heads out towards the well.

The Anarresti
2010-08-12, 02:17 PM
When (if?) his mistress follows Durrost, Avin will follow her.
the Custodian follows close behind his mistress.

Narmoth
2010-08-12, 03:31 PM
Akhvelahr follows the rest

Imperial Psycho
2010-08-12, 05:52 PM
Mattias follows.

Felyndiira
2010-08-12, 06:00 PM
Lua follows. Yay for white text in a RP thread =p.

Erad
2010-08-13, 04:27 AM
Inside the well

The well was large, maybe about six yards in diameter. It probably supplied the whole city before something happened. Now it looked like a large hole in the ground and only plain walls showed that it was crafted by sentient beings.
Since the party had all means to descend, they did so.

(Want to save time, you are all going inside anyway. If not, say and I'll fix post.)

The descend took some time, but was safe and unadventorous. Below, adventurers found themselves in a large cavern, completely dry, the water probably was gone long ago.

The main cavern was going south, descending at a small angle. Far end of this tunnel was disappearing in the dark. Two smaller and narrower tunnels were going to the west and north-east.

SlyJohnny
2010-08-13, 06:23 AM
Durrost looks around at the smaller tunnels. He thinks the main tunnel is more promising, but he doesn't want to be ambushed from behind...

While waiting for the party to get their bearings, Durrost looks around for tracks or other signs of recent passage, wondering whether any creatures may have passed by here, or be making their homes in the narrower tunnels.

((Taking 20 on the Search check to find prints, tracks, or animal leavings.))

Erad
2010-08-13, 07:25 AM
The north-eastern tunnel seemed to be unpopulated. Western one showed a few signs of underground animals possibly dwelling there. The main tunnel showed a few signs of large creatures at rare occasions passing by.

SlyJohnny
2010-08-13, 10:41 AM
"North-eastern looks unoccupied. Western has... some kind of tracks. Maybe Mattias could identify them. Something has been down the larger one. Something big."

Durrost waves Hessler over and briefly pats her thorax, but doesn't move to ride her. "A larger creature would have problems following us down the smaller tunnels, but smaller beasts could ambush us from behind, should we go south. I think we should check the western tunnel first."

The Anarresti
2010-08-13, 11:12 AM
"Are there any signs of civilization or intelligent creatures, either current or in the past? Worked stone, manufactured items? Such creatures are more valuable to Her Holiness than mere beasts."
The monk asks this question in his habitual whisper, looking quizzically at the dwarf, the only member of the group shorter than he.

Erad
2010-08-13, 11:31 AM
The cave walls were uncut, no signs of civilization were seen.

A noise, almost unrecognizable sounded from the cave going south. Something was approaching.

Narmoth
2010-08-13, 09:05 PM
Let's meet whatever is coming towards is first, and then go down one of the smaller tunnels
a nervous smile glances Akhvelahrs lips before it fades swiftly

The Anarresti
2010-08-13, 10:54 PM
"Agreed" says Avin, stepping in front of his mistress, facing the south tunnel.

Erad
2010-08-14, 04:24 AM
Some time passes and now adventurers can see what is approaching. A large massive body with natural body armor, two legs, a small bug-like head and long claws. Umber Hulk. Fear comes to them at the first moment, but soon they realize that the creature is rather young. Both his armor isn't that hard like an adult's one and his claws seem less deadly. The younger umber hulk seem less deadly then his parents, but still dangerous. For now it's too far to attack, but it's approaching very quickly.

SlyJohnny
2010-08-14, 07:26 AM
"Hide. Let it come into the cavern, so we can surrond it." Durrost hisses.

He floats upwards, his feet moving as if treading water, and he disappears out of sight in the hole leading back up to the well.

Hessler clambers up the wall above the south tunnel and hides, ready to pounce the umber hulk when it comes through.

((Hessler's hide roll: [roll0] ))

The Anarresti
2010-08-14, 09:11 AM
Avin moves toward the side of the cavern. Once he gets there he crouches down, pulls his hood over his head, and sits perfectly still, nothing more than a neutral grey blob. He appears to almost fade from sight.
hide check: [roll0]

Narmoth
2010-08-14, 11:34 AM
Akhvelahr whispers "I will cast a shroud of darkness over us in which we can hide" he casts darkness on a part of the cave where he and the priestess can hide
"Of course, the beast can still smell everyone of us"

aivanther
2010-08-15, 05:25 PM
Zerith and Fayel both hide.

Drow [roll0]
Watchspider [roll1]

Imperial Psycho
2010-08-15, 05:34 PM
Mattias also attempts to hide.

Hide: [roll0]

Felyndiira
2010-08-15, 07:02 PM
"Amusing, the first thing that we do, now that we have reached our destination, is hide in the shadows," Lua almost remarked. She managed to restrain herself and, taking a place next to Avin, shrouded herself inside the darkness.

Hide: [roll0]

Erad
2010-08-16, 11:35 AM
The monster came closer, looking around with his bug eyes and sniffing the air.
Suddenly it's eye catches something out of place. It notices Zerith! And in the next moment it rushes forward to him!

Roll initiatives and start fighting.

Spot: [roll0]

SlyJohnny
2010-08-16, 12:04 PM
Hessler drops like a stone from the wall and then skitters towards the beast, her mandibles flaring apart in unison. A horrible, rasping hiss erupts from her exposed, moist esophagus, and she lunges for the beast's legs, instinctively seeking out an gap in the creatures segmented shell in which to drive her fangs.

((Hessler's bite: [roll0] to hit, [roll1] damage. If hit, must make two DC 14 fort saves vs poison, 1d6 str damage initial and secondary))

Durrost deactivates his boots with a thought, and thuds to the ground underneath the well opening with noticeably less grace then his arachnid mount. He swings his axe up into a ready stance, and thuds his way over to the umber hulk, flanking it opposite Hessler. "Baruk Khazâd! Hargunen aimênu!" he barks, slamming his huge axe into the creature's armor plates.

((Greataxe w/ flanking: [roll]1d20+11[roll], [roll2] damage

edit: Dammit. Will post again with Durrost's to-hit roll.))

SlyJohnny
2010-08-16, 12:06 PM
((Redoing Durrost's to-hit roll: [roll0]))

SlyJohnny
2010-08-16, 12:13 PM
((...Also forgot to roll initiatives. >_<

Durrost: [roll0]
Hessler: [roll1] ))

Imperial Psycho
2010-08-16, 12:18 PM
Init: [roll0]
Mattias attempts to get a clear shot at the beast, and if this is possible, fires his bow.

Attack Roll: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

Felyndiira
2010-08-16, 05:33 PM
There was no time to ponder anything else. The beast - whatever it is - is already upon the party, and without hesitation, the druegar and the slave had already attempted their assault.

"We...would do best to take advantage of the darkness, should we not, Avin?" Lua whispered. Her morningstar clutched in her hands, she hesitated, trying to decide whether to charge the beast or strike at it from afar. "This was definitely not in any of the books that I have read."

Initiative: [roll0]
Also, a pity that Lua doesn't have Knowledge (Dungeoneering) =p. Her actions will likely depend on initiative and what the other characters before her do.

EDIT: My init is terrible, so here's to hiding in the darkness and waiting for you guys to go first before I decide what to do =p.

Narmoth
2010-08-16, 05:51 PM
Akhvelahr sends two scorching rays of blistering fire at the beast

Initiative [roll0]
to hit 1 (touch):[roll1]
to hit 2 (touch):[roll2]
dmg 1 [roll3] 17
dmg 2 [roll4] 19

aivanther
2010-08-16, 06:09 PM
Initiative[roll0]

Zerith chants, casting grease (dc 16) in 10 feet in front of him, in the umber hulk's path.

Fayel readies an attack on the oncoming umberhulk.

Erad
2010-08-17, 07:39 AM
The battle began.

Before the monster attacked Zerith, Durrost rushed forward, raising his battle-axe. If there were adult umber hulk, the axe possibly could broke, but armor of juvenile monster was less hard. Axe broke it, entering deeply to the body. Durrost's spider tried to help his master, but umber hulk evaded it's bite. (-7 hp)

Mattias raised his bow and shot. His arrow found a hole between creature's armor plates and spilled more of it's blood. (-4 hp)

Then the beast attacked Zerith. The hit of the clawed paw was that hard, that it cut through the leather armor and wounded Zerith deeply. (-8 hp to Zerith)

Wounded Zerith assembled all his will and turned the floor beneath the monster to greased dirt. But the monster was to agile to slip on it.

Akvelahr's attack was most successful. One of the rays he sent towards the beast entered creature's mouth, burning it from inside. The monster hissed in agony, then collapsed. It was alive, but surely lost the wish to keep fighting. Now adventurers could finish it for good. (-19 hp)

(Akvelahr's attacks are too deadly. Are you sure they are supposed to be that good??)
Initiative: [roll0]

Erad
2010-08-17, 07:49 AM
Don't have the actual stats, so improvising.

Creature attack:

[roll0]
[roll1]

Erad
2010-08-17, 07:53 AM
Grease evasion

[roll0]

aivanther
2010-08-17, 08:42 PM
The watchspider hisses in anger and again attacks the umberhulk.
attack [roll0]
damage [roll1] DC 13 poison [roll2] str damage

Edit: oops, missed the "it's dead part"

Erad
2010-08-18, 04:48 AM
OOC: The monster is at 0 hit points and no longer fights. You can just finish him with coup de grace and don't have to post attack rolls.

SlyJohnny
2010-08-18, 11:52 AM
Durrost slams his axe into the prone creature again, careful not to hit the watch-spider.

"This one looks... small. Must be a whelp. It looks like we got lucky... well done, everyone." He pokes the edge of his axe into the smouldering hole near the creatures mouth and looks over at Ahklevar, smirking a little. "A nice shot."

He touches one of Hessler's legs and murmurs something in Dwarven to her, and then turns to the party. "Well. We should check the smaller tunnel, with the prints. If we're going to walk towards what could be a whole nest of these things, I don't want to get cut off from behind."

Durrost head off towards the Western tunnel, if the group agrees, carefully checking the stonework as he goes.

Imperial Psycho
2010-08-18, 02:54 PM
Mattias says nothing, prepared to follow the party, whichever way it choses.

OOC: Do I need to keep track of my stocks of arrows or not? As in regular, bog-standard, mundane arrows. I've had DMs rule either way, soo....

aivanther
2010-08-19, 08:31 AM
Zerith mutters a number of curses as he looks at his wound, but otherwise does nothing. "I would agree. I don't imagine a brood of umberhulks coming in behind us is a good thing." He moves to follow the dwarf.

Erad
2010-08-19, 08:57 AM
(I assume you all want to go the same way)

The party followed Durrost to the western tunnel. It was narrow, put still passable, but seemed to last forever. There were small holes and passages in it's walls where possibly rats or lizards lived, but no signs of an animal larger then rat. The area was to small for Umber Hulks - fortunately.

A few hours passed, when adventurers came into a small round cave, with three tunnels going from it, one that they came from, one leading northwest and one going to the south. All of them were at the same size.

And adventurers were somewhat tired already. They could keep on going, but not for long. Soon the rest will be required.

Imperial Psycho
2010-08-19, 09:18 AM
"We should rest soon. But not here. Three entrances? it is indefensible. We should find a dead end to rest in."

Narmoth
2010-08-19, 10:42 AM
"Or go back a bit in the tunnel and rest with only two ways we can get attacked from. That way we still have the option to retreat to a more defensible position later on" Akhvelahr proposes

SlyJohnny
2010-08-19, 12:47 PM
"Agreed. We should find a secure camp or go back to the smaller tunnel. I wish we'd brought the fight to the umber hulks while we were rested and prepared... still, we left them far behind us, and I doubt they could fit through that tunnel to come after us."

Durrost searches the cavern exhaustively, and invites Mattias to do the same, knowing the slave has better cavelore then he does and could identify any tracks they find. He murmurs speculatively to the party as he searches,

"I still see no sign of this lost city of yours, drow. What if some of these tunnels connect out into a wider honeycomb of natural caverns? We might even be wandering away from the encampment like this, out into the wilds. We should consider turning back, if tomorrows search is equally fruitless."

((Taking twenty to search))

Imperial Psycho
2010-08-19, 12:58 PM
Mattias joins Durrost in the search, carefully and meticulously searching the cavern.
(I'll also take Twenty. :smalltongue:)

Erad
2010-08-20, 10:32 AM
The cave floor was full of tiny markings - probably rats or similar creatures. But there were also signs of a humanoid passing by, from north-western tunnel to southern one - and only in one direction.

aivanther
2010-08-20, 08:03 PM
Zerith prepares his bedroll, glances at his companions and says, "I'll take first watch, Daer and Fayel will take second, Mattias you take third. Divide up the rest as you guys will."

SlyJohnny
2010-08-20, 09:24 PM
"There's a tracks of... something that walks on two legs, going this way. I'm not tired yet. We should follow the tracks first and try to find somewhere more secure."

Durrost is inclined to follow the footprints, if the party agrees, leading off.

The Anarresti
2010-08-20, 10:33 PM
"I agree. I do not need much trance, and I wouldn't be able to rest easy with a possible enemy about" said the monk in his quiet way.

aivanther
2010-08-23, 08:11 AM
Zerith shrugs and says, "Fine, danger now, danger later, matters little in the midst of the underdark."

Narmoth
2010-08-23, 09:08 AM
"I don't really care one way or the other, as I have plenty of spells left" Akhvelahr looks at the priestess

Erad
2010-08-23, 11:56 AM
The trace soon brought the party to a dead body. The creature's flesh was half decayed and half eaten by some small creatures, yet what remained of it, allowed to make no mistake - the dead was Ven Arn. And the body was relatively fresh. The dead Ven Arn was dressed in clothes comfortable for exploring, had leather armor on him and was wielding a short blade. Perhaps he had more, but to get it, adventurers had to search on his body.

The tunnel continued to the south, though becoming more narrow.

Narmoth
2010-08-23, 03:28 PM
"I vote that we don't stop here. You may search the body and then we'll proceed, unless your ladyship wishes it differently" he turns at the last words to the priestess with a kind (for a drow) and patronizing, rather than deferring expression

The Anarresti
2010-08-23, 05:29 PM
"I also see no reason to stop. Why wait near a corpse? That which make this man into a corpse might still be around. I say that someone more skilled than I search this body for signs of what caused it's demise. And I wonder how many other Ven Arns there are in the area, and in what state they are in?" Said Avin

SlyJohnny
2010-08-23, 05:57 PM
"It should be naught but mouldering bones. Unless it was recently awoken, like those two we saw in the tower... that's an interesting thought, Custodian. Perhaps there are many like the tower guardians, hibernating, but now awake. Well. This one didn't stay awake for long."

Durrost pokes the body with his axe several times. If it fails to stir, he'll kneel down and search it thoroughly, more intent on looting it and checking the design of it's armor and sword, then on examining it's wounds or cause of death.

"I am no physician. It died badly. That's all I can tell." he comments.

Durrost examines the short blade for any sign of dried blood or ichor that would indicate the man wounded his assailants before being killed.

aivanther
2010-08-24, 08:46 AM
Zerith glances around and mutters, "Has our lovely patroness awoken a society? Or are these creatures stuck in their own temporal stasis always?"

Erad
2010-08-24, 09:57 AM
The small bites all over the body of dead Ven Arn suggested that the creature was bitten to death by small beasts. Boots were torn, as Ven Arn's skin on the feet. Some small creatures attacked him, caused him to fall and then torn his throat.

The blade of Ven Arn was quite ornamental and crafted with visible skill. For better examination magic or specific lore was required. The dead also had a ring very similar to the one adventurers got in a tower. The blade had no blood on it.

The armor seemed to be non magical and standard.

Before turning away, Durrost saw another thing: no blood was seen on or near the body. It seemed like the dead never bleeded, or... that he was drained?!

Durrost's roll for spot: [roll0]

SlyJohnny
2010-08-24, 11:46 AM
"Mistress Lua, do Lolth's priestresses learn how to treat a wound without magic? Perhaps you could tell us how old the body is. I hear you can tell these things from the smell, or how quickly the blood dri-"

Durrost stops, and then looks back down at the corpse. "-no blood. It was savaged to death by tiny mouths, but there is not a drop of blood."

Durrost falls silent. He removes the ring, flashes it at his comrades to show what he found, and then slips it on over his gauntlet. He leaves the sword and armor for someone else to claim, and then moves to the edge of the narrowing passage and raises his axe, standing guard while the others finish their examinations.

((OOC: Ready to move on down the tunnel as soon as you guys are done.))

Narmoth
2010-08-24, 11:53 AM
Akhvelahr examines the corpse as well:
knowledge (arcana) [roll0]
knowledge (planes) [roll1]

Erad
2010-08-24, 12:01 PM
Akhvelahr failed to learn anything from the body. It didn't have any signs of outwordly nature or specific magic on it.

OOC: Do you want to examine items too? Don't forget Durrost already took the ring.

SlyJohnny
2010-08-24, 12:07 PM
((Ahk can totally inspect the ring if he wants, I just bagged it now in case we get attacked by something evil in the meantime :) ))

Narmoth
2010-08-24, 12:32 PM
Akhvelahr examines the sword and then turns to the Dwarf
"I'd like to have a closer look at the ring as well" he says it more of an order than a request, but in a polite tone

Narmoth
2010-08-24, 12:33 PM
rolls:
knowledge (arcana) sword [roll0]
knowledge (planes) sword [roll1]
knowledge (arcana) ring[roll2]
knowledge (planes) ring[roll3]

The Anarresti
2010-08-24, 12:38 PM
"By the way, where did the other ring end up? It would be useful for me to wear it: increased fighting ability for myself increases the safety of the whole group." said the monk.

Narmoth
2010-08-24, 12:51 PM
"I still carry it. I was planning to decide what item to identify when we decide to rest, as I have only one identify spell prepared"

Akhvelahr takes it out of the purse and sees if he can remember anything that might be relevant about it
knowledge (arcana)[roll0]
knowledge (planes)[roll1]

Erad
2010-08-24, 01:35 PM
The sword seemed to be lightly enchanted (+1 bonus). As for the ring they found on the dead Ven Arn, it served two purposes. First the ring dealt heavy damage of positive energy (2d6) but only to those evil in heart. If such a person would wear the ring, he will be hurt himself. But it had another strange purpose, it could hold a specific being for about a minute. What being, Akhvelahr couldn't tell.

And he failed to see if rings are identical, he learned nothing about the ring from living Ven Arns.

Narmoth
2010-08-24, 01:44 PM
"The ring will most likely damage anyone of us, so I think we'll just keep it bagged. The sword is slightly enchanted, hardly anything of value... Still, it's better than nothing" Akhvelahr takes the sword and holds out the ring for the dwarf to take
"I wouldn't use it if I were you."

SlyJohnny
2010-08-24, 01:58 PM
Durrost frowns. "I just wore it and I feel fine... is it not just a copy of the ring from the tower, the one the Ven Arns said would help us strike evil creatures? Did they not tell us something?"

The duergar takes the ring in his hand, his bright magenta eyes briefly flickering over it before going back to watching the passageway. He turns it over in his hand, now uncertain of whether to put it back on.

Narmoth
2010-08-24, 02:13 PM
"By their definition, you are evil as well, so it's supposed to harm you as well" Akhvelahr frowns in suspicion

The Anarresti
2010-08-24, 02:53 PM
"If I remember correctly, the Ven Arn said that the ring enhances your ability to fight evil creatures, not that it harms every evil creature that touched it. The original ring may not have the same abilities. Besides, the dwarf touched this ring without harm," said the monk, carefully picking his words to avoid saying a deliberate lie. "I assure you, my loyalty to the Drow Nation is without question." The monk's serene face barely flickers as he answers the wizard's question, and he stands his full, yet unimpressive, height. Nevertheless, the scrawny pugilist shifts his back foot ever so slightly, and begins to pick out weak spots in Akhvelahr's anatomy. If this wizard continued to treat his mistress and himself with distain, Avin would be forced to teach him the meaning of respect. In his heart of hearts, Avin is ashamed to know he would enjoy giving such a lesson.

Narmoth
2010-08-24, 03:43 PM
spot to see the monk getting ready: [roll0]

"In stead of doubting my words, you should doubt the Ven Arn. Then again, if you want to take the risk, be my guest" Akhvelahr smiles oblivious of Avin getting ready to fight

The Anarresti
2010-08-24, 07:32 PM
"I'll risk it," said the monk. "My conditioning has made me resiliant to all manner of attacks, either mental or physical."
As he reached out a hand to accept the ring, the Custodian said: "The Ven Arns had honor. I doubt that they would lie."

Imperial Psycho
2010-08-25, 05:37 AM
"May I take the Sword? My current weapon is unenchanted, so even a small amount of magic is an improvement."

Narmoth
2010-08-25, 05:43 AM
"Sure, have fun with it" Akhvelahr holds out the sword for him to take

SlyJohnny
2010-08-25, 06:25 AM
Durrost seems to reach a decision and slips the ring back on. "Mistress Lua. Unless you wish to examine the corpse further, we should keep moving. I'd like to find the creatures that did this, so that we have tangible information to offer your superiors when we report this."

The duergar waits for the group to make ready to move on, once more deferring to the young priestress to cast the deciding decision. He's glad she's along: the fact that at least half the party defers to her word streamlines things, somewhat, and he finds her reserved, considered way of deciding things to show considerable wisdom for one so young. She's such a fresh convert that she must surely be eager to fling herself to the front of every fray, heedless of danger with the bright-eyed foolhardiness and confidance of youth, and yet, incongruously, she does not allow herself to indulge in this way, and instead is unhurriedly methodical. It must be trying her patience, and yet she is managing to hide her disappointment from her comrades. He'd better continue watching his manners around her.

He stuffs the leather armor into one of Hessler's saddlebags, and prepares to lead off down the tunnel. "On your order, ma'am."

Erad
2010-08-25, 07:58 AM
The party soon arrives to the dead end. On the ground there is a large pile of rocks, as if they are covering something. And the softer ground is full of holes. And next moment, a few angered squeaks sound and twenty large rats surround the party. For some reason animals seem to be more dangerous then normal ones.

SlyJohnny
2010-08-25, 12:03 PM
Durrost raises his axe, his calm voice becoming terse and clipped, but no less calm.

"Pack close together. Protect the spellcasters."

He smiles grimly in anticipation of battle. "Three each, and two for our animals to chew on. Let's make our ancestors PROUD!" he barks.

He edges closer to Akhvelahr, identifying him as the only one of the three casters without a dedicated bodyguard. Hessler senses his intention, and shuffles over to shield the wizard, too. Durrost furrows his brow and seems to concentrate, as if formulating a prayer or trying to remember something. Hesslar flares her mandibles, raises her forelimbs, and tenses as if preparing to pounce.

Durrost's initiative: [roll0]
Hessler's initiative: [roll1]

Durrost is doing Detect Evil on the rats as a free action and then starting the full round action to manifest Enlarge Person.

Hessler is Readying an Action to bite the first rat that moves within 5 feet of Akhvelahr or Durrost.

Hessler's bite: [roll2] to hit [roll3] damage. If hit, rat must make two saves vs poison DC 14

Narmoth
2010-08-25, 12:34 PM
Akhvelahr casts burning hands on the rats, trying to hit as many as possible without harming party members

mechanics:
Burning hands 15 ft range, cone shaped burst, reflex for half dmg
1d4 dmg pr caster lvl, +2 dmg for blistering spell, dc 16
initiative [roll0]
dmg [roll1]

The Anarresti
2010-08-25, 12:38 PM
The monk moves into place, running with a fluid, uncanny grace to stand in front of his mistress, side by side with the dwarf. His wrapped hands are held in front of him, palms open, newly-acquired ring gleaming on his right ring finger. He stares intently at his choosen three rats with unbroken focus, Continuing his motion, he kicks out at the center rat, aiming to kill.
Initiative: If he wins, he wastes no time in attacking: attack roll: [roll1] Damage: [roll]1d8+6 in case of crit [roll2] [roll3] Sacred damage if rats are evil [roll4]. He declares Dodge on the rat nearest to him (or the whole group if it is a swarm), increasing his AC to 24 with respect to that rat
EDIT: Note that I did not change the crunch of my actions, I just roleplayed attacking in addition to rolling for it.

The Anarresti
2010-08-25, 12:39 PM
typo for my first damage roll: [roll0]

Imperial Psycho
2010-08-25, 04:23 PM
Mattias decides to try out his new blade, slicing at the Rats.

Init:[roll0]
Attack roll: [roll1]
Damage roll [roll2]

His Wolf also acts, pouncing on another Rat, trying to bite it.

Init:[roll3]
Attack roll: [roll4]
Damage Roll [roll5]

Erad
2010-08-27, 09:28 AM
I'll make 4 group of rats, each group has same rolls.
Group 1: Initiative: [roll0]
Attack [roll1]
Damage [roll2]

Group 2: Initiative: [roll3]
Attack [roll4]
Damage [roll5]

Group 3: Initiative: [roll6]
Attack [roll7]
Damage [roll8]

Group 4: Initiative: [roll9]
Attack [roll10]
Damage [roll11]

Erad
2010-08-27, 09:41 AM
Durrost quickly began casting a spell (who do you want to Enlarge?). While he was doing that a few rats attacked Mattias, but fortunately he managed to dodge. Less fortune was, that the rats evaded his counterattack too. \

Actually no rat succeeded in hurting anyone of the party members.

Akhvelahr quickly found a solution to the situation, and burnt three rats that were in front of him. (-3 rats)

The monk observed the rats for a few moments, and then rushed forward kicking one of the rats and killing it. To his surprise the ring on his finger flashed and another rat that was nearby dropped dead as well. (-2 rats)

Party pets also attacked the tiny beasts, but to no avail.

When the rats saw their comrades falling, they backed a little, and suddenly started running in circles at some distance from the party.

Divine spellcasters only:

You suddenly feel horror of something supernatural. Something horrible will happen in a few moments. Something that shouldn't exist in this world will be here soon.

SlyJohnny
2010-08-27, 09:55 AM
((It's a spell-like ability that affects only me and the stuff I carry. Do the rats register as Evil? Do I count as a "Divine Spellcaster" yet? And are the rats within fifteen feet of my new, larger form, or further away? It makes a difference to whether I make a full attack or not, you see :) ))

Erad
2010-08-27, 11:29 AM
((Yes to all questions))

SlyJohnny
2010-08-27, 12:33 PM
Durrost's body begins to swell, slowly and shakily at first, and then more smoothly, with the motion and grace of a snake uncoiling itself. He becomes as tall and hefty as an ogre, and he wastes no time in stepping forward five feet and swinging his oversized axe towards the nearest rats.

[roll1]
[roll]1d20+4, [roll2]
((Durrost's AC is now Large and his AC is reduced to 17))

Hessler lunges forward as well, trying to capture a tasty rat in her poisonous fangs.

[roll3] [roll4] and two fort saves vs poison if hit.

SlyJohnny
2010-08-27, 12:34 PM
Reposting botched second attack roll:
[roll0]

Narmoth
2010-08-29, 03:34 PM
"Well, let's just burn the rest of them and be on our way?" Akhvelahr frowns at the strange behavior of the rats

knowledge arcana [roll0]

Erad
2010-08-30, 06:49 AM
Durrost's attacks were successful, another pair of rats dropped dead.

But now something was happening. Red smokes began to raise above every rat, and on the height of four feet they began to form a red cloud of mist. With horror, adventurers saw how the mist began to grow tentacles, each tentacle ending with deadly sharp claw. It was growing in size too. And then it rushed forward, straight on Durrost.

The horrible claws passed through armor, completely ignoring it, to the living flesh. Duergar felt that something cold hit his chest, missing a heart by inches and how his life energy was sucked out of him. (-10 hp)

Then the monster shrieked preparing for another attack.

Rats stood at some distance, no longer attacking.

Always hits
Damage: [roll0]

Narmoth
2010-08-30, 07:04 AM
Akhvelahr screams: "All fire at the mist!" and detonates a fireball at the mist

mechanics

dc = 21 (+2 because of energy affinity fire, +1 because of spell focus evocation), reflex for half dmg
dmg [roll0] (+6 for 2/dmg spell lvl because of blistering spell)

Erad
2010-08-30, 07:43 AM
OOC: You may hit other adventurers (Durrost). Proceed?

SlyJohnny
2010-08-31, 09:39 AM
Durrost cries in alarm as the mist saps his strength, stepping back away from the mist like a tree being buffetted by a wind.

He runs a hand over his axe, murmuring a prayer in Dwarven, channeling some divine power into it, figuring that a creature of this nature will need magic to hit. He wonders if the rats are giving it strength in some way, whether the group is right to just ignore them.

"What in the hells is this thing??" he yells.

((OOC: Step back and casting Magic Weapon))

Hessler lunges forward, hissing in fury as her rider is injured. She attempts to sink her fangs into the mist.

((Attack: [roll0] Damage: [roll1]))

The Anarresti
2010-08-31, 10:03 AM
The monk's face sets in a hard, grim line, and his hands blur, striking at the mist. A slight, deep blue aura trails from his hands as he attacks.
Flurry of blows: attack: [roll0] Damage: [roll1] attack: [roll2] damage: [roll3]
Ki Strike: my unarmed strikes count as Magic weapons for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction

The Anarresti
2010-08-31, 10:05 AM
Critical Threat: [roll0] damage: [roll1]

The Anarresti
2010-09-01, 10:04 AM
second crit/auto-killl: [roll0] Damage: [roll1]

Imperial Psycho
2010-09-01, 03:24 PM
Mattias draws his bow, nocks an arrow, and fires on on the abomination.

Attack roll: [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Imperial Psycho
2010-09-01, 03:25 PM
Critical threat roll: [roll0]

Erad
2010-09-03, 02:07 PM
Akhvelahr released a huge ball of fire, that exploded with a blast. The explosion raised Durrost in the air and thrown on the hard wall. (-24hp, -34hp total)

The monster who also was caught in the explosion shrieked horribly, fire was certainly causing it severe pain.

With shaking arms and legs, duergar stood up and tried to hit mist monster with his axe. But no, he was too shocked and failed to hit the enemy.

Monk rushed forward, hitting the abomination with his bare hands. Strangely the hit was successful, the monster backed up a little.

Unfortunately for the abomination, Mattias entered the battle. His well shot arrow entered deeply to misty cloud. The next moment the monster began to dissolve. After a few moments it was gone.

The remaining rats squeaked and ran away, disappearing in small holes.

Adventurers were alone in the tunnel again.

Narmoth
2010-09-03, 02:45 PM
Come here, duergar Akhvelahr commands
"I have some healing potions, or her ladyship the priestess can heal you with the power of Lloth"

SlyJohnny
2010-09-03, 03:02 PM
"Uhhhf..."

Durrost rises slowly, steam rising from his charred body. He hits his smoldering beard a couple of times, and pours some water from a flask over himself.

"Nice shooting, wizard. Mattias. I wish we'd killed the rats first... they're trouble."

He blinks, as if trying to regain his balance, then nods.

"My injuries don't need immediate attention. Shall we continue down the tunnel?"

Durrost moves to take point once again.

Erad
2010-09-04, 04:19 AM
Adventurers were at dead end, the corridor ended with a wall. On the ground, near rat holes was a pile of rocks, if they were covering something.

Narmoth
2010-09-04, 04:26 AM
"Well, we could look at the rocks..." Arcan proposes
"And by we, I mean someone else than me."

SlyJohnny
2010-09-05, 04:06 AM
((Rolling that reflex save I missed to see if I take half damage: [roll0] ))

Durrost wanders over to the rubble, and reaches up to pull his goggles down. He frowns, brushes away a peice of charred dead skin, and then flips them down over his eyes. They emit regular clicks as various lenses swap in and out.

He cautiously searches the rubble, pushing the rocks aside with his axe. "We should block the holes those rats came from. Slow them down a little. Either way, we shouldn't rest here."

((Taking 20 to dig through the rubble. Search check of 30))

Erad
2010-09-05, 08:00 AM
Durrost slowly unearthed... a dead body. And this body didn't look like any race Durrost ever saw or at least heard about, including Ven Arns. The creature was a humanoid, a little taller then human and more thin, it's body build reminded of an elf, but the creature had round ears. The most surprising fact was that the creature's body was intact, it was looking fresh and showed no sign of decay, almost if it died just moments ago.

The creature was dressed in some fancy clothing, which strangely also survived, though was bitten by rats in a few places.

The creature probably died because of the rocks that fell on it's head, it had a lot of bruises and wounds. Face showed horrible pain and fear.

SlyJohnny
2010-09-06, 05:59 PM
Durrost glances at the others, raising his eyebrows. Then he begins to pat down the corpse.

"It's only recently dead... a priestress could commune with it... I think we should return now, with the bodies we've found."

Narmoth
2010-09-07, 01:18 AM
"I think I agree, although I wish we had something more of value to show for our efforts" Akhvelahr sighs

Imperial Psycho
2010-09-07, 03:35 AM
"Return where? We need to rest. "

Narmoth
2010-09-07, 05:31 AM
"Ah, don't be such a wimp!" Arcan snarls
"We're quite capable of following out own tracks back and out before resting. Then we can rest in civilized conditions rather than in this hole!"

SlyJohnny
2010-09-07, 06:33 AM
Durrost raises his eyebrows at the wizards outburst, but only glances at the slave and says gently, "The rats would come back if we rest here. I'd prefer the risk of a few hours march back to the safety of the camp, to the greater risk of continuing our search for a secure place down here."

He shrugs. "Tomorrow we can check the tunnels near the well. Is that our course, then? Back to camp with these bodies, immediately? Or should we check the tunnel the Ven Arns came from, before we head back?"

If the others agree, Durrost will lead the way, also picking up a few rat corpses to add to the parties growing collection.

The Anarresti
2010-09-07, 11:38 AM
"I see no reason to delay our return. Resting in these tunnels with known enemies about is foolish, and we would definably be foolhardy to pass up the chance to learn more about our enemies," the monk murmured, pulling his robe around him. His face betrays no sign of fatigue.

Erad
2010-09-08, 07:04 AM
OOC: So you return to the camp?

SlyJohnny
2010-09-08, 07:09 AM
((Yeah, sure))

Creed
2010-09-10, 03:44 PM
((Alright, Erad sent me a PM just to jump in))

Lua is standing wherever the rest of the party happens to be, waiting for some sort of thing that needs her input to be brought up.

Erad
2010-09-12, 06:08 AM
The way back to the camp was hard, but unadventurous.
When the party reached the well, they were already exhausted. Fortunately, they managed to climb up to the camp.

Now they were surrounded by a squad of crossbowmen, all with vile looks in their eyes. One of the crossbowmen came closer, grinning.

- Malla Kelya wants to see you, mistress Lua. Wants very much! She is waiting for you in the temple and ordered us to bring you there as soon as you come back. Men - capture them!

Adventurers had no choice by to comply.

In a few minutes, they were brought to the just repaired temple. An altar was old, but statues of spiders were recently installed. Kelya Kianar was standing near the brazier with a few more priestesses of House Kianar. When the party was brought in, she turned towards them. Her face changed, from smile to rage.

- Closer, - she ordered.

The party was pushed closer to her.

Kelya Kianar took out the snake whip and pointed it towards Lua.

- I demand answers you arrogant girl! What was the creature in the tower, that ignorant male released on us. I know you were there, why didn't you report to me right away! When that monster broke out I had to summon Yoklol to stop it from destroying all our camp! Even now half of our priestesses are trying to heal the wounded and ressurect the dead! About thirty males and half dozen of proving clerics were butchered by this creature. Why didn't you tell me of it!

She closed her face to Lua's.

- Lolth is furious! And I am willing to sacrifice you to please her. Unless... you have good excuses! Speak! Now!

SlyJohnny
2010-09-12, 10:51 AM
Durrost looks over at Lua. Then he coughs, taking a step forward to stand just behind Lua.

"Ahh, Mistress Kianar. May I speak? I believe I am most responsible for what happened."

He waits for permission before going on, not wanting to make things worse by speaking out of turn.

Erad
2010-09-12, 11:13 AM
Kelya looks at Durrost.

- Speak, dwarf! - she orders.

SlyJohnny
2010-09-12, 11:48 AM
"We met two guardians. They said they were guarding an ancient evil inside, but we thought they might be lying so we wouldn't loot the tower. They said the creature was impossible to destroy, anyway, but spoke of a university in this city that has been researching a way to finish the job. I was the one who advised Mistress Lua that we should descend in search of this university and discover it's research, so that when we told you and asked you what to do, we could give you a full report. I told the soldiers to hold position, and keep anyone from entering the tower. I thought that would be enough."

He hangs his head.

"It was my suggestion that led to this. I thought that if it truly was an invincible vampire, we should find a way to fight it or control it with the utmost haste, and we shouldn't waste time, not even to report to you. We didn't think for a moment that anyone would disobey your will and enter the tower past the cordon."

Erad
2010-09-13, 08:05 AM
Kelya stayed silent while Durrost was speaking. Then she answered him:

- Before I order to drag you - all of you, to the altar, I want to know if you found something else. You were below the ruins, what did you see?

Narmoth
2010-09-13, 11:19 AM
Akhvelahr steps forth then
diplomacy [roll0]

"Now, your ladyship, it is my humble opinion that my companion the duergar failed to bring to your appreciation a few important aspects of our exploration. We did indeed speak with the two guardians. They gave us an item of power, although not great power, to be delivered to you as a token of their subservience and peaceful intentions. A similar item was later discovered by us in the well, so our exploration of it has in fact some merit. This, coupled with the fact that the doors to the tower was made impossible to open from the inside I am sure you will see as sufficient to look for the cause to the attack not in our actions, but in the actions of a person or group of persons that entered after us and didn't report back, or tried to conduct a research. This person or group of persons must have released the being that was guarded in this tower.
Our research has made us suspect that it was connected to the well, and our discovery of a fell mist that attacked us there confirm this partially, as the mist was situated in the vicinity of an unknown corpse that had on it an item similar to the item of power that we were given by the guardians.
Our research I hope you thus will find of some worth, and the blame to be laid on whoever opened the gates for the beast to escape through

Erad
2010-09-13, 03:17 PM
- Those who released the thing are already dead, - said Kelya, - it tore them to pieces. You say you was attacked by mist? Yes, the think that was in the tower also looked like as huge blood cloud! Are you saying you encountered another such thing?! So there could be more of them!

Kelya frowned.

- The expedition is already proving itself, we found a very powerful weapon and a superb set of armor deep inside the tower. And that body you found - did it have something on it?

Narmoth
2010-09-13, 03:25 PM
"The item of power that the body had on it was a ring that Findor'avin E-Rilyn'Zaurae currently has in his safekeeping, and a slightly enchanted sword that I gave to Mathias. The ring E-Rilyn'Zaurae carries is similar to this ring..." he takes out the ring he got from the guardian
"...which was a token of submission from the guardians of the tower to the power of Lloth."

Erad
2010-09-14, 05:12 AM
Give me the rings! - ordered Kelya.

Narmoth
2010-09-19, 08:46 AM
Akhvelahr takes out the leather pouch he put the ring in
"It's in this pouch" he tosses it to one of the guards

Imperial Psycho
2010-09-19, 05:54 PM
Mattias seems displeased that the woman was given the rings, but does not speak up.

Erad
2010-09-21, 07:09 AM
- Here you go malla, - said the guard and passed the pouch to Kelya.

The head priestess opened the pouch, took the ring out and put it on her finger. One second later the ring flashed bright and a smoke raised from Kelya's finger. All who was nearby smelled the burning flesh.

- A-a-ah! - yelled Kelya and quickly pulled the ring off. Her finger became all black, like it was in a fire for a minute.

She raised burning eyes towards Akhvelahr.

- Did you try to kill me?!

Her voice was shaking, but it was impossible to judge whether it was from pain or fury.

- Did you give me that ring, so it will burn me?! Arrogant male! You'll be executed for that! I'll sacrifice you to Lolth! Guards - capture him.

A priestess and male guard quickly caught Akhvelahr by hands.

It was now the last chance to do something that will save the situation.

You (party) have one chance to convince Kelya otherwise. By the way it would be better if you didn't say about rings or said that you lost them or something.

Narmoth
2010-09-21, 07:53 AM
diplomacy [roll0]

"I'm insulted! If I wanted to kill your ladyship, I certainly would employ a less backward method. The containment of the ring in a pouch alone should identify it as an item not to be touched." Akhvelahr states calmly, as if he has been in such situations many times before

SlyJohnny
2010-09-21, 03:11 PM
Durrost blinks as the stench of burning flesh filled the air.

"Forgive us, Matron. We had not time to examine the rings properly. I do recall the wizard saying he feared the ring would harm me, but I wore it with no ill effects, I assumed it would not harm you... hmm. Perhaps the ring senses your allegiance to Lolth? Laduger's requirements for his followers are different to Lolth's requirements of her priestresses. He must have seen me wearing the ring and assumed he guessed wrong, that it was safe for all servants of the gods of the lower planes."

He steps forward.

"You should not have to squander your powers fixing the mistakes of your servants. It would be my honour to heal you, if you would rather preserve your own energies."

Erad
2010-09-23, 12:05 PM
Kelya was silent for a few scary moments, then she made a sign to guards to release Akhvelahr.

- I forgive you... this time. Anyway, I want both of the rings researched, so put them in the pouch again and I'll take them. You, duergar say that you can heal me? Strange, I don't recall you being a cleric. But I am ready to accept you help. If it is a trick, all of you will die. And while you are healing me, I want full report of what you found out below. FULL report, I hope that you understand for your own sake.